Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: The Meaning of Life
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 4:21 am 

Just ask those blokes from Monthy Python...<br><br>They even made a film about it.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 1:21 pm 

This is way deep, but here goes:<br><br>The meaning of life is to get one.<br><br><br>(You can pay the nominal service charge at the counter, thank you very much.)

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 9:32 pm 

[quote author=Disco Boy link=board=faq;num=1049568856;start=15#29 date=05/08/03 at 18:31:25][tt]<br><br>Why? Because he can really get down to business? ;D [/tt]<br>[/quote]<br><br> ;)<br> ;D<br>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:19 am 

Image<br><br>Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving <br>And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour, <br>That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned, <br>A sun that is the source of all our power. <br>The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see <br>Are moving at a million miles a day <br>In an outer spiral arm, at forty thousand miles an hour, <br>Of the galaxy we call the 'Milky Way'. <br>Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars. <br>It's a hundred thousand light years side to side. <br>It bulges in the middle, sixteen thousand light years thick, <br>But out by us, it's just three thousand light years wide. <br>We're thirty thousand light years from galactic central point. <br>We go 'round every two hundred million years, <br>And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions <br>In this amazing and expanding universe. <br><br>The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding <br>In all of the directions it can whizz <br>As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know, <br>Twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is. <br>So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure, <br>How amazingly unlikely is your birth, <br>And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, <br>'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:59 am 

I've got the monty python computer game meaning of life, it's  funny. I've also seen the film, that's more funny.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:43 pm 

Well my son. Life is like a beanstalk. Isn't it?<br> <br> "In Held Twas I"  -  Procol Harum

Post subject: Re: The Meaning of Liff
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:44 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:26 pm 

The meaning of life for me is more fricken BEER .! LOVE THAT STUFF !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:12 pm 

AAAh! So True.[quote author=palokas link=board=faq;num=1049568856;start=15#27 date=05/08/03 at 16:21:38]This is way deep, but here goes:<br><br>The meaning of life is to get one.<br><br><br>(You can pay the nominal service charge at the counter, thank you very much.)[/quote]<br>

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:45 pm 

Karma - Ever since I was young I have believed in reincarnation and I love the idea of Karma or Newtons Third Law of Motion - every action has an equal and opposite reaction. If anyones interested in this type of stuff check out Robert E Svoboda's Aghora - At The Left Hand Of God. An mindshaking book (1 of 3) if ever there was one. Nothing to do with organised religion and has plenty of unusual stuff like meditating on corpses and eating your own shit.<br>The hindu idea that the universe was created by Shiva chanting Aum (the cosmic note) and opening his third eye is covered in The Tao of Physics by Fritjof Capra.<br>Lumpy Gravy contains the conversation about "the universe is just one big note" which echoes this theory.<br>There was also an experiment in a US university a while back trying to "recreate" the Big Bang. The picture they got looks exactly like an eye. It seems the ancient hindus also had an idea about DNA too - see any good book on Kundalini yoga.<br>Ok, I'll shut up now. I love talking about this stuff tho' as I'm a bit of a Shiva fanatic as well as a Zappa one.<br>Oh yeah...Shiva is also Nataraja - lord of dance, drama and music.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:08 am 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=faq;num=1049568856;start=30#32 date=05/27/03 at 09:00:08]Three days later, and no replies...<br>Well, I guess my fellow Forum Members have chosen the "what-the-fuck" attitide on this one...<br><br>Which is also pretty cool.  8)[/quote]<br><br><br>  Frank's  thoughts on time, seem to me, to be very<br>similar to those of Eastern religious beliefs.<br>  We all know how he felt about organized Christian<br>religion. I wonder if he followed, or was interested in<br>Zen Buddhism?<br> Om Shanti!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:16 pm 

..The Meaning of Life...is... Procreation,....why procreate?? so our offspring can sit around, smoke grass and ponder ...The Meaning of Life......ain't it great??    ;D ;D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:14 pm 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=faq;num=1049568856;start=30#31 date=05/24/03 at 12:48:57]Ok, this topic might be a good place for this. <br>Are you Zappa-freaks familiar with Zappa's thoughts on the subject of "time"?<br>Well, in the Zappa! Magazine (from 1992, publ. by Guitar Player), he said this:<br><br>FZ: "I think that everything is happening all the time, and the only reason we think of time linearly is because we are conditioned to do it. That's because the human idea of stuff is: it has a beginning and it has an end. I don't think that's necessarily true. You think of time as a constant, a spherical constant... [in which]... everything's happening all the time, always did, always will...<br>We're dealing with time in a quasi-practical manner. We have devised our own personal universe and lifestyle that is ruled by time sliced this way, and we progress from notch to notch, day by day, and you just learn to meet your deadlines that way. That's only for human convenience. That, to me, is not a good explanation of how things really work. That's only the human perception version of how things work. It seems just as feasible to me that everything is happening all the time. And whether you believe your coffee cup is full or not is irrelevant... What something is depends more on when it is than anything else. You can't define something accurately until you understand when it is. [...] When is what. Without the perfect understanding of when, you've got nothing to deal with, see? 'Cause you analyze that cup of coffee a little bit earlier, and it's full. In a few minutes, you'll kick it over, and it won't even exist anymore. The state of the cup is determined by when you're perceiving it. [...]<br>And the reason why I feel so strongly about this is, you know, this is one of the better explanations for why people can have premonitions, because instead of looking ahead, they're just looking around. You don't have to look ahead to see the future. You can look over there."<br><br><br>Pretty cool stuff, huh? 8) Now, I was wondering if there is anyone out there, who is more familiar with this theory than I am. I find it very interesting, and I would like to know more about it. Any suggestions on books that deal with this? Maybe reading some Stephen Hawking would be a good start?[/quote]Yeah, I remember that interview.  It reminded me of Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five.  Same idea about time. <br>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:30 am 

<br>THIS POST HAS BEEN TAKEN TO A GOVERNMENT RECONDITIONING FACILITY.<br><br>PLEASE IGNORE THIS STATEMENT.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:34 am 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=faq;num=1049568856;start=30#31 date=05/24/03 at 12:48:57]FZ: "I think that everything is happening all the time, and the only reason we think of time linearly is because we are conditioned to do it. That's because the human idea of stuff is: it has a beginning and it has an end. I don't think that's necessarily true. You think of time as a constant, a spherical constant... [in which]... everything's happening all the time, always did, always will...<br>We're dealing with time in a quasi-practical manner. We have devised our own personal universe and lifestyle that is ruled by time sliced this way, and we progress from notch to notch, day by day, and you just learn to meet your deadlines that way. That's only for human convenience. That, to me, is not a good explanation of how things really work. That's only the human perception version of how things work. It seems just as feasible to me that everything is happening all the time. And whether you believe your coffee cup is full or not is irrelevant... What something is depends more on when it is than anything else. You can't define something accurately until you understand when it is. [...] When is what. Without the perfect understanding of when, you've got nothing to deal with, see? 'Cause you analyze that cup of coffee a little bit earlier, and it's full. In a few minutes, you'll kick it over, and it won't even exist anymore. The state of the cup is determined by when you're perceiving it. [...]<br>And the reason why I feel so strongly about this is, you know, this is one of the better explanations for why people can have premonitions, because instead of looking ahead, they're just looking around. You don't have to look ahead to see the future. You can look over there."<br>[/quote]<br><br>What a guy. What a GENIUS!<br><br>This is serious-level stuff. This is the sort of truth that bestrides Buddhism and Quantum physics. It's a glimpse of his quite staggering intellect.<br><br>It's also a key to understanding his project/object and conceptual continuity. <br><br>And the universe itself of course.<br><br>As far as the meaning of life is concerned, the funny thing about finding it out is that it's impossible to tell someone else; you have to discover it for yourself.<br><br>Take my word for it that it's worth looking for though.<br><br> ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:28 pm 

[quote author=dean link=board=faq;num=1049568856;start=30#40 date=09/18/03 at 23:14:00]<br>Yeah, I remember that interview. It reminded me of Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five.  Same idea about time. <br>[/quote]<br>Chronoclastic Infundibulum<br>[quote author=inkerodes link=board=faq;num=1049568856;start=30#44 date=02/20/04 at 10:34:06]This is the sort of truth that bestrides Buddhism and Quantum physics[/quote]<br>If this really is true then ask yourself why it didn't earn him a Nobel Prize.<br><br>BTW if you skim through this thread from the beginning you'll see it's an example of one that's been somewhat fragmented by disappearing posts. The Frequently Asked Questions page says the last post in this thread was from jimmie d on Oct 11 2005 but when open the thread the last question is from inkerodes Feb 21 2004. It's a wee bit confusticating.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:12 pm 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=faq;num=1049568856;start=30#30 date=05/24/03 at 12:48:57]Ok, this topic might be a good place for this. <br>Are you Zappa-freaks familiar with Zappa's thoughts on the subject of "time"?<br>Well, in the Zappa! Magazine (from 1992, publ. by Guitar Player), he said this:<br><br>FZ: "I think that everything is happening all the time, and the only reason we think of time linearly is because we are conditioned to do it. That's because the human idea of stuff is: it has a beginning and it has an end. I don't think that's necessarily true. You think of time as a constant, a spherical constant... [in which]... everything's happening all the time, always did, always will...<br>We're dealing with time in a quasi-practical manner. We have devised our own personal universe and lifestyle that is ruled by time sliced this way, and we progress from notch to notch, day by day, and you just learn to meet your deadlines that way. That's only for human convenience. That, to me, is not a good explanation of how things really work. That's only the human perception version of how things work. It seems just as feasible to me that everything is happening all the time. And whether you believe your coffee cup is full or not is irrelevant... What something is depends more on when it is than anything else. You can't define something accurately until you understand when it is. [...] When is what. Without the perfect understanding of when, you've got nothing to deal with, see? 'Cause you analyze that cup of coffee a little bit earlier, and it's full. In a few minutes, you'll kick it over, and it won't even exist anymore. The state of the cup is determined by when you're perceiving it. [...]<br>And the reason why I feel so strongly about this is, you know, this is one of the better explanations for why people can have premonitions, because instead of looking ahead, they're just looking around. You don't have to look ahead to see the future. You can look over there."<br><br><br>Pretty cool stuff, huh? 8) Now, I was wondering if there is anyone out there, who is more familiar with this theory than I am. I find it very interesting, and I would like to know more about it. Any suggestions on books that deal with this? Maybe reading some Stephen Hawking would be a good start?[/quote]<br><br>Very Vonnegut.<br>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:45 pm 

My reply depends on how much time I'm spending in the future.Or in the past.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:35 am 

Slight sidetrack - although it is about meaning - is there a web page or something anyone's familiar with that lists commonly used message abbreviations like LMFAO?<br><br>While I'm here I will contribute something: John Lennon said once in a song (for his youngest son I think) that life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.