Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: zappa sheet music
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:03 pm 

What's the status of Zappa sheet music? I have some sections of songs I got that were apparantly hand-me-downs from people who had played in the band. And I've bought a couple of things from Mo 'N Herbs' Vacation and Alien Orifice, etc. from Barfko when they were still selling them. I'd like to find out how I can get more of Zappa's sheet music. I'm not a professional, and I don't plan to conduct an orchestra. I'm just an enthusiast who'd like to pour over some gnat notes. I did a cursory search on e-bay, but found it lacking in anything like written music. Anyway, are there others like me who have this music? Is it like a big IP violation to trade stuff like this? Just curious.

Post subject: re: zappa sheet music
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:49 pm 

[quote author=echidnas arf link=board=faq;num=1101268980;start=0#0 date=11/23/04 at 20:03:00]... from Barfko when they were still selling them...[/quote]still selling them<br><br>[center]ImageImage [sup]etc.etc.[/sup]<br>Image[/center]<br><br>[center]Image<br>Image[/center]

Post subject: Re: zappa sheet music
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:50 pm 

I've been trying TO BUY the black page #1 drums sheet music from BS for 1.5 months, but they are slow going, and not responding to the new online form.<br>Does anyone know why BS has fallen apart or when they will come back together?<br>Just want to work on some stuff. Are there other official sources of FZ sheet music?<br>Best,<br>DOD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:20 pm 

I ordered a TBP #1 along with Bebop Tango and both guitar parts for the Drowning Witch (and I just realized I already had those, d'oh!) on 12/18. My order still has yet to change its status from "ordered" on their site. I called and there was a voice message from Diva saying orders were being handled, but slowly. So I'm assuming it's just slow going.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:56 pm 

[quote author=dkaplowitz link=board=faq;num=1101268980;start=0#4 date=01/04/05 at 20:20:53]I ordered a TBP #1 along with Bebop Tango and both guitar parts for the Drowning Witch (and I just realized I already had those, d'oh!) on 12/18. My order still has yet to change its status from "ordered" on their site. I called and there was a voice message from Diva saying orders were being handled, but slowly. So I'm assuming it's just slow going.[/quote]<br>So what will you be doing with those extra Guitar Sheets for Drowning Witch?  ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:12 am 

[quote author=Zank Frappa link=board=faq;num=1101268980;start=0#5 date=01/04/05 at 20:56:48]<br>So what will you be doing with those extra Guitar Sheets for Drowning Witch?  ;) [/quote]<br>Hehe...nice try. ;) I sent them an e-mail last night asking them to exchange them for a couple keybd parts from Fembot, since they are the same price. Hopefully it'll work out. If not, I'm not sure what I'll do since it's taking so long to get them, I don't imagine getting  a refund/exchange will go very well. Can you say ebay?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:20 pm 

[quote author=dkaplowitz link=board=faq;num=1101268980;start=0#6 date=01/05/05 at 06:12:37]<br>Hehe...nice try. ;) I sent them an e-mail last night asking them to exchange them for a couple keybd parts from Fembot, since they are the same price. Hopefully it'll work out. If not, I'm not sure what I'll do since it's taking so long to get them, I don't imagine getting  a refund/exchange will go very well. Can you say ebay?[/quote]<br>E   -       B                    -                       A                    ...<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>NO! I CANT! I SHANT! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  :o

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:15 pm 

download free zappa midi files & play them on a midi-player-notation program

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:55 pm 

[quote author=zzyrch link=board=faq;num=1101268980;start=0#8 date=10/25/05 at 00:15:56]download free zappa midi files & play them on a midi-player-notation program[/quote]<br>Or: transcribe them yourself and become a confident transcriber.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:00 am 

I too am interested in getting some FZ study scores and have sent email to BP a couple of times over the last couple of years but I have never had a reply. I've tried the BP store several times including 5 minutes ago but I guess it's already old news around here that the store is closed. I remember seeing a question around here somewhere asking when does frost acually hit pumpkins ... as I've quoted elsewhere in pan chromatic resonance: ... sigh ... round things are boring ... will we ever escape from this piano?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:02 am 

[quote author=zzyrch link=board=faq;num=1101268980;start=0#8 date=10/25/05 at 00:15:56]download free zappa midi files & play them on a midi-player-notation program[/quote]<br>If you can get accurate performances/transcriptions, that'd be a good plan, but I've seen a number of the products of these "accurate" midi files, and have compared them to official and semi-official transcriptions/lead sheets and they're WAY off! The Black Page that's floating around, which is actually pretty close, is still off on some of the harder parts....and the guy who programmed it said in his notes that it wasn't 100%. <br><br>So....<br><br>[quote author=FROWNLAND link=board=faq;num=1101268980;start=0#9 date=10/25/05 at 01:55:28]<br>Or: transcribe them yourself and become a confident transcriber.[/quote]<br>Is probably the best advice if the ZFT stops selling this music. <br><br>BTW, as I've said in other threads and elsewhere, the order I successfully placed last December was never fulfilled and they closed the store shortly thereafter, so I never got those scores.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:57 am 

Too bad there is not a complete publication of all the Zappa scores/notation. It is true,with the midi files in question you are taking someone else's word for his written music.I think what I'd like to see is the notes for"Mo 'N Herb's Vacation" or "Sad Jane".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:05 am 

http://www.zappateers.com/diapo.php?cat=18&expand=15<br><br> :-X

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:51 am 

[quote author=zzyrch link=board=faq;num=1101268980;start=0#12 date=10/25/05 at 05:57:09]...what I'd like to see is the notes for"Mo 'N Herb's Vacation"[/quote]<br>I  actually had the clarinet part from MM but  somewhere in my travels between here and Europe I lost it. <insert extreme sense of loss smiley here><br><br>There was this crazy 17:3 stanza that I seem to recall repeated a couple times. Seems to have been the hardest thing on there, but I don't remember. I keep wishing that one day I'll stumble across it while going through my stuff, but it's a big, oversized piece of paper, so I think I would have found it by now. It wasn't in with any of the other scores I did manage to get my hands on. So bummed!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:10 pm 

Are there any plans to 1). Make sheet music of some of Frank's rock songs available or<br>2). Publish any arrangements of the currently available scores (e.g. sinister footwear) for rock or jazz band instrumentation?<br><br>Or are any of these already available perhaps? ???

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:04 pm 

[quote author=chungas_bedroom link=board=faq;num=1101268980;start=15#15 date=12/04/05 at 21:10:38] ... sheet music of some of Frank's rock songs ... arrangements of the currently available scores ... for rock or jazz band instrumentation ... [/quote]<br>The following is a very useful thread to give you some idea of what people have had to go through and for some helpful tips.<br><br>  Click Here