Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:47 pm 

Can somebody please tell me what Frank sings and repeats 4 times right before the fadeout on Wind Up Workin In A Gas Station?  Sounds like "Man in the camper wants to buy some .......???????

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 11:08 am 

[quote author=ZF link=board=faq;num=1037198418;start=45#54 date=12/06/02 at 09:48:15]<br> Shouldn't that be Manny the Camper wants to buy some wine ????[/quote]<br><br>Herein lies the problem...and what do the backing singers say after Frank's last line...it sounds like they finish what Frank started, eg, "man in the camper wants to buy some white....fish.  Or something.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 9:28 pm 

Manny the camper wants to buy some whitefish.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 5:30 am 

Antonio, you've solved a 26 year old mystery for me!  Thanks a million.  I always thought it was what Them said, ie, whitefish.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 6:04 am 

"Manny de camper wants to buy some whiiiiiiiite.... GAS."<br><br>NOT Fish People<br><br>Proof below........

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 6:11 am 

FZ interview on KNON Dallas, TX 08/19/89<br><br>Interviewer: Manny the Camper really wants to buy some White what???<br>FZ: Some White Gas.<br>Interviewer: And what is that?<br>FZ: White Gas? That's what they call Kerosene.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:44 am 

Chris... I told u about this weeks ago......<br>Fish is WRONG man!!!!<br><br>FZ interview on KNON Dallas, TX 08/19/89 <br> <br>Interviewer: Manny the Camper really wants to buy some White what<br>FZ: Some White Gas.<br>Interviewer: And what is that?<br>FZ: White Gas? That's what they call Kerosene.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:50 am 

[quote author=Chris_Federico link=board=faq;num=1037198418;start=60#62 date=12/09/02 at 09:24:12]<br>Listen to the song again.<br><br>Davey Moire says "FISH!" in his really high voice, after every one of Frank's repetitions of the line "Manny de camper vants to buy some vhite."<br><br>It's wordplay. "Manny" is Jewish (dig the accent and the reference to white fish). The song does, after all, have Nazi references in it ("Pumpin' the gas every night"). It's another tune in Frank's connections between fashionable, uptight America and the "perfect human" standards of Nazi Germany.<br><br><br>CF[/quote]<br><br>Chris, that explanation seems bizarre, but it sure sounds like "fish". Hence my years of confusion and my stupid question...what does white fish have to do with workin in a gas station, I wondered? I thought I must be hearing it wrong.  I NEVER picked up on any kind of Nazi reference...and Jaypfunk does appear to have come up with an answer...but Jay, listen closely...it really sounds like fish.<br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:43 am 

[quote author=Chris_Federico link=board=faq;num=1037198418;start=60#65 date=12/09/02 at 09:52:50]<br>Frank never gave a straight answer about his double-meaning lyrics when he was interviewed.<br>The only reason I'm coming off so certain about this is that there's no way that word that Davey's yelling in the song in his incredibly high falsetto voice could be "gas." He says, very clearly and more than once, "FISH."<br><br>Unless you're listening to a different version of the song than I have, it's the Jewish preference for white fish that the song's referring to. I'm talking about the studio rendition that opens Zoot Allures.<br><br>Keep in mind that I'm not terribly familiar with all of the YCDTOSA albums and bootlegs. If he changed the lyric for a live version, then he did just that -- changed it. The 1976 studio version says "FISH" -- it can't be any other word, unless I've gone completely deaf.<br><br>Double meanings are fun. Don't be worried about it.<br><br><br>CF[/quote]<br><br>Chris... your potata been bakin' too long! ;D Two different interviews with FZ are proof of GAS being correct... no double meaning in this case.<br><br>#1<br>Eric Buxton: Who was the original Manny the camper? I know he wanted white gas, but who was he?   <br> <br>Frank Zappa: Just anybody named Manny who had an RV, y'know.<br><br>Don't ya think FZ would have corrected him??? I think so.<br><br>#2 - Interview on KNON Dallas, TX 08/19/89 <br> <br>Interviewer: Manny the Camper really wants to buy some White what <br>FZ: Some White Gas. <br>Interviewer: And what is that? <br>FZ: White Gas? That's what they call Kerosene.<br><br>Nuff said...... I believe FZ.<br>FZ was very detail oriented when speaking. I have a ton of interviews and he always corrected miss-leading info about whatever subject, songs, band members, dates etc. If they said something wrong he would always correct them.<br>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:49 am 

[quote author=Chris_Federico link=board=faq;num=1037198418;start=60#62 date=12/09/02 at 09:24:12]<br><br>"Manny" is Jewish (dig the accent and the reference to white fish). The song does, after all, have Nazi references in it ("Pumpin' the gas every night"). It's another tune in Frank's connections between fashionable, uptight America and the "perfect human" standards of Nazi Germany.<br><br>CF[/quote]<br><br>You be reading way too far into this. The song about stupid people and is about an idiot who winds up working in a gas staiton cause he never did anything with his life even tho he has had all the education... and has to put up with old farts like "Manny" the rest of his life givin' 'em kerosene and "pumpin' the gas every nite". Just a funny song about dumb fucks, not Nazis. Jeeziz!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:11 am 

Your opinion is cool and that's all it is... opinion. but interpretation and FACT are very differant and yes FZ did give a very simple fact filled straight forward answer about the WHITE GAS. See that??<br><br>once again for old folks......<br>Interviewer: Manny the Camper really wants to buy some White what?<br>FZ: Some White Gas.<br>Interviewer: And what is that?<br>FZ: White Gas? That's what they call Kerosene.<br><br>Very easy to get and not deep. The way FZ answered the question was very short and to the point like "hey this is it". And I have learned that not everthing FZ wrote about needs to be dealt with or interpreted so deeply. Although very serious... he was "not" serious alot. No need to link Conceptual Continuity to everything.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:26 am 

[quote author=Chris_Federico link=board=faq;num=1037198418;start=60#71 date=12/09/02 at 12:15:16]<br><br>You, as well, think your interpretation is fact. You think you're right about this.<br><br>CF[/quote]<br><br>No... I do not have an interpretation... I just believe in the facts from FZ's mouth! I am right because of facts not because I "think" I am right because of a interpretation. Very differant.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:30 pm 

jayp, I believe you about the interview and I believe that he is referring to white gas. I also do not personally believe there is any Nazi reference in this song, just my opinion...like you, I think it's just about a dumb guy who Winds Up Wrkin Ina Gas Station. But I also think Davey Moire was having fun with Frank's accent...listen with headphones if you have to...he's saying "FISH". Listen especially to the very last one...there's no way he's saying "gas".

>You don't.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:46 am 

[quote author=ZF link=board=faq;num=1037198418;start=75#75 date=12/10/02 at 02:19:10]I don't care who's right here, but I tend to go 4 CF "opinion", there r definitely no facts here  ::). Listened to Zoot Allures yesterday again, I  :-* it  :P[/quote]<br><br>What do You mean no facts??? You must have been on the O.J. jury.<br>LOL These quotes are straight from FZ. Facts by the writer of the song and simple ones at that<br><br>#1 <br>Eric Buxton: Who was the original Manny the camper? I know he wanted white gas, but who was he?    <br>  <br>Frank Zappa: Just anybody named Manny who had an RV, y'know. <br> <br>Don't ya think FZ would have corrected him I think so. <br> <br>#2 - Interview on KNON Dallas, TX 08/19/89  <br>  <br>Interviewer: Manny the Camper really wants to buy some White what?? <br>FZ: Some White Gas.  <br>Interviewer: And what is that?  <br>FZ: White Gas? That's what they call Kerosene. <br> <br>Nuff said...... I believe FZ. <br>Yeah I know FZ was sometimes vauge but he was very detail oriented when speaking in interviews about songs. I have a ton of interviews on tape and he always corrected miss-leading info about whatever subject, songs, band members, dates etc. If they said something wrong he would always correct them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:21 am 

OK, here's my next one...<br><br>On Billy the Mountain, JABFLA version, when they're spoofing the song Suite Judy Blue Eyes, what is said from 16:28 to 16:38, ie  they sing "where Crosby flushed away all his stash"..... and then 10 seconds later "frozen by the pies"...what do they sing in between...the only thing I can make out is "Neil Young"<br><br>Thanks!

>You don't.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:26 pm 

I have a stupid question! Has anyone managed to get a partner of their choice to do the evil act with a FZ album playing in the background?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next