Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:58 pm 

[quote author=milimalimalou link=board=faq;num=1032129445;start=105#108 date=07/27/03 at 23:46:27]did you notice the way they don't get rotten normally ?   what did they do to my god old tomatoes ?<br> :-/[/quote]<br>They covered them with a thin layer of wax (seriously!)...amongst doing other things before that point, I'm sure.   :-/<br><br>Gypsy Moon Dream

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:52 pm 

[quote author=milimalimalou link=board=faq;num=1032129445;start=105#108 date=07/27/03 at 23:46:27]<br><br><br>happy man !    I dread the tomatoes in the fridge since I bought them at the nearest market place instead of growing them myself which wouldn't obviously mean that they are genetically modified.<br><br><br>did you notice the way they don't get rotten normally ?   what did they do to my god old tomatoes ?<br> :-/[/quote]<br>Tomatoes, oranges, bananas, just about all fruit these days tastes of nothing. Globalisation means companies in one country will buy fruit from another country on the other side of the world, even though they produce the same fruit in their own country. They do this because they might save a few cents overall, and in bulk this adds up. But they don't factor in the harm done to their own countrymen and communities by forcing farmers with dwindling markets out of business. The fruit tastes shithouse because it has to be picked before it's ripened and shipped halfway round the world (more waste of fuel) then artificially ripened. I'm talking about Woolworths and all the other huge supermarket chains. They hold the food producers of a country to ransom offering prices barely above cost price and get away with it because they control the market with their size. <br><br>For example, we in OZ produce great oranges, the equal of any worldwide. Yet most of the oranges on display here are California oranges, which I'm sure taste great in the U.S. but after undergoing the above process, are tasteless over here.<br><br>Enough said. Don't get me started on fucking vegetables. Eat organic if you have the choice - most don't.<br>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:51 pm 

[quote author=Uncle Bernie link=board=faq;num=1032129445;start=105#110 date=07/28/03 at 02:52:06]Enough said. Don't get me started on fucking vegetables. Eat organic if you have the choice - most don't.[/quote]<br>A man after my own Heart!  :D<br><br>I try to buy/eat as much "Organic" and/or "Natural" foods as possible (especially for my baby!) but my husband fights me "tooth and nail" for every item on every trip to the store(s)!   >:(<br><br>He doesn't "get it".  He claims, "It's all the same.  They're just ripping you off!"...because organically grown foods cost quite significantly more than those grown with un-natural/chemical pesticides and additives.  (*sigh*)<br><br>Does anyone want a husband?  I'll give him to you really cheap...to the lowest bidder!  ;)<br><br>Gypsy Moon Dream

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:27 pm 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=faq;num=1032129445;start=105#112 date=07/28/03 at 21:16:45]<br>I don't need a husband: but with all the Mr. Fix-It shit I've been doing lately, the idea of a slave is highly appealing.<br><br>Howsabout you just put him in a box and mail him to me? I'll reimburse you for shipping...[/quote]<br><br>Don't TEMPT me!   :o<br><br>(*LMAO*)   ;D<br><br>BTW -- There's a "present" for you in the "Or" thread.  :)<br><br>Gypsy Moon Dream

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:27 pm 

[quote author=GypsyDream link=board=faq;num=1032129445;start=105#111 date=07/28/03 at 20:51:53]...I try to buy/eat as much "Organic" and/or "Natural" foods as possible (especially for my baby!).....[/quote]<br>'natural' is meaningless, just hype :<br><br>Natural Foods: A Natural Profit Opportunity<br>A broad definition of natural foods (or whole foods, as they are sometimes called) is that they support a healthy lifestyle, offer high nutritional value, promote long-term good health, and are free of artificial ingredients and preservatives...The use of the term 'organic' is regulated by the USDA's organic rules, now in the final stages of adoption. The use of the term 'natural', on the other hand, is currently not regulated.<br><br>we try to buy mostly organic/non-GMO food, it's not a huge permium here (san fran) except for milk, & the taste is noticeably better...besides, food is one of our lowest expenses in the overall scheme (compared to housing, transportation, clothing, entertainment etc.), so a few extra bucks here & there is well spent<br>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:36 pm 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=faq;num=1032129445;start=105#114 date=07/28/03 at 21:27:33]<br>'natural' is meaningless, just hype :<br><br>Natural Foods: A Natural Profit Opportunity<br>A broad definition of natural foods (or whole foods, as they are sometimes called) is that they support a healthy lifestyle, offer high nutritional value, promote long-term good health, and are free of artificial ingredients and preservatives...The use of the term 'organic' is regulated by the USDA's organic rules, now in the final stages of adoption. The use of the term 'natural', on the other hand, is currently not regulated.[/quote]<br>By the term "Natural" I meant the ingredients listed in the food.  For instance...I buy "pita" bread where the ingredient list is basically "whole wheat flour, water, yeast, and vinegar (added as a natural preservative)" [most pitas have un-natural preservatives so you have to read the label]...as opposed to a loaf of your average "whole wheat bread" where the ingredient list is a foot long and unpronounceable!   :-/<br><br>
Quote:
we try to buy mostly organic/non-GMO food, it's not a huge permium here (san fran) except for milk, & the taste is noticeably better...besides, food is one of our lowest expenses in the overall scheme (compared to housing, transportation, clothing, entertainment etc.), so a few extra bucks here & there is well spent<br>
<br><br>I agree!  The cost of organic food is dropping because more and more places are carrying it.  (Before I had to purposely make a trip to the "health food" store but now I can get most of what I need right in my "regular" supermarket.)  And even if it does cost a lot...I still think the cost is worth the health benefits of not adding yet more crap into my body!   :P<br><br>Please, people!  I live in New Jersey!  How much more pollution can my body take?  ;D<br><br>Gypsy Moon Dream

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:22 pm 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=faq;num=1032129445;start=105#116 date=07/29/03 at 00:00:09].....<br> Without meat, we'd all be driving VW buses and we'd all think petchoulli oil smells really good.<br><br>The greatest invention of the twentieth century was not the transistor or the airplane: it was the Weber barbecue.[/quote]<br><br>lmaol  hahahahahahaha!!!!     i'm not a vetarian neither. A goooood juicy peace of beef is a step to heaven.  And to be honest I crave it so much sometimes I don't even ask about mad cow<br>whereas I do look at my vegetables twice and buy organic when my paycheck alow it. Food is one of my highest expanse with housing.  <br><br>anyway I'm proud too introduce our french cheese producer who was able to open up a real battle about interantional vegetable trading and producing. He was in Seattle, in Brasil with the *Landless* (personnal translation of *sans-terre*,  and he now in jail in France for having  , him and the union he's part of,<br><br>destroyed a McDONALD  and a genetically modified corn field    He's an international heroe against globalization<br><br>please read it's worth it, and will provide good laugh too ;D<br><br>Pro  Bove:<br>http://www.semcosh.org/Jose%20Bove.htm<br>http://www.commondreams.org/headlines01/0130-01.htm<br><br>against   bove:<br>http://www.igreens.org.uk/make_jose_bove_serve_his_time.htm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:34 pm 

I eat meat but...I truly admire (and envy) Vegetarians for their Strong Will-Power and Ethos.<br><br>So...just to play a little "Devil's Advocate" against MTF... ;)<br><br>[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=faq;num=1032129445;start=105#116 date=07/29/03 at 00:00:09]After all: it was meat that allowed human beings to evolve a brain mass beyond that of common apes, so we could deal with shit like traffic and long lines at the bank. Without meat, we'd all be driving VW buses and we'd all think petchoulli oil smells really good.[/quote]<br><br>Who is more "evolved"?<br><br>Vegetarian<br>Image<br>Mahatma Ghandi<br><br>Non-Vegetarian<br>Image<br>Adolph Hitler<br><br>Gypsy Moon Dream<br><br>PS -- Image  Pass the Patchouli Incense, Maaaaan!  ;D<br>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:27 pm 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=faq;num=1032129445;start=105#119 date=07/29/03 at 21:18:50]<br>"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." - Albert Einstein[/quote]<br><br>I read that on a box of falafel.  Good stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:45 pm 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=faq;num=1032129445;start=120#121 date=07/30/03 at 17:02:23]Meat activists like to point to a doctor's order from 1931 that Hitler stick to a vegetarian diet in order to combat excessive flatulence (I'm not joking)[/quote]<br>Well...even if he became a strict Vegan in 1931, it means that most of his life (his formative years) he ate meat.  ;)<br><br>
Quote:
The argument, of course, is quite pointless: vegetarianism does not make you a monster; nor does it prevent you from becoming a monster. It's just not that simple.
<br>Of course the argument is "pointless"...I agree that what you eat doesn't "make you a monster" or not.  There are many more things which factor into our behavior than simply what we choose to eat or not.<br><br>(My post was more for the "visual impact" than any moral argument.  You have to admit that Ghandi and Hitler are quite a pairing...eh?  ;) )<br><br>Although, I do think that those who choose not to eat meat may be a bit more "sensitive" to the needs of other Living Beings on this Planet besides Human Beings (in general) than those who choose to eat meat.<br><br>
Quote:
"Them or Us:" catchy song title....<br><br>d'Oh! It's taken.
<br>(*giggle*)  :)<br><br>Gypsy Moon Dream<br><br>PS -- I was trying to find where I read it but I couldn't so...you're going to have to "trust" me on this one...OK, MTF?  You're point about eating meat enabling our brains to "evolve"?  Uh-uh...our brains "consume" sugars/carbohydrates for energy...not proteins.  ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:55 pm 

[quote author=GypsyDream link=board=faq;num=1032129445;start=120#122 date=07/30/03 at 22:45:55]<br>Although, I do think that those who choose not to eat meat may be a bit more "sensitive" to the needs of other Living Beings on this Planet besides Human Beings (in general) than those who choose to eat meat.<br>[/quote]<br>BULLSHIT!      (I mean that lovingly   ;D)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:24 pm 

[quote author=Uncle Bernie link=board=faq;num=1032129445;start=120#123 date=07/30/03 at 22:55:26]BULLSHIT!      (I mean that lovingly   ;D)[/quote]<br>Now...that wasn't very "sensitive"!   :o  (*LOL*)<br><br>Gypsy Moon Dream

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:02 pm 

[quote author=GypsyDream link=board=faq;num=1032129445;start=120#124 date=07/30/03 at 23:24:01]<br>Now...that wasn't very "sensitive"!   :o  (*LOL*)<br>[/quote]<br>Must be because I eat meat - cows, lambs, cute little pigs - yum, I eat 'em all. I like 'em rare too, you know - knock their heads off, wipe their bums and stick 'em on the plate.    ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:01 am 

[quote author=Chris_Federico link=board=faq;num=1032129445;start=0#11 date=09/23/02 at 13:25:48]Why is meat-eating lumped in with smoking and drinking? Your body developed itself as a carnivorous system. Contrary to popular vegan literature, you are naturally a meat-eater. Sorry to break it to ya.<br><br>However, if you like being a vegetarian, great, terrific, wonderful, whatever you enjoy. You have the right to your own diet without catching shit from anyone. However, let's not pretend it's as unhealthy as, say, excessive drinking of liquor or something. Meat has vitamins and protein in it that your body likes.<br><br>Personally, I enjoy being at the top of the food chain quite a bit.<br><br>From the moral standpoint, let's be clear that animals do not have "rights." I think it's ridiculous to be unnecessarily cruel to animals, but let's not equate them with humans!<br><br>There are no "rights" in the animal kingdom itself -- no legal recourse, no complaints of abuse, no civil entitlements. The animal kingdom is a vicious, survival-of-the-fittest "society," and humans are the only creatures intelligent enough to evolve anything like laws or civility. Imposing these rights on animals is misplaced and inaccurate personification, like pretending a tiger is "smiling" or something, just because that's what we identify with as humans.<br><br>I eat cow. I am not a cow. I hope that explains it clearly enough so I can stop rambling.  :)<br><br><br>CF<br>[/quote]<br>What an insensitive, brutish attitude. Are you sure your not from the animal kingdom? <br>As for humans being carnivorous well just try eating 100% meat for life. Were omnivores at present, tho' Im a herbivore and have been for nealy 10 years - No ill affects.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:16 am 

[quote author=Fat_Technition link=board=faq;num=1032129445;start=15#28 date=09/23/02 at 17:00:33]   What on earth would you vegitarians do if put in a situation where there was little or nothing else to eat?<br> As a veggie I've heard this argument quite a lot - ever heard of people dying for their beliefs - funny a lot of meateaters can't quite accept some people would actually give up their own lives for an animal. <br>Eat macrobiotic food and go and do some healthy yoga exercises.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:20 am 

[quote author=City_Hall_Fred link=board=faq;num=1032129445;start=120#126 date=09/03/03 at 03:01:57]<br>What an insensitive, brutish attitude. Are you sure your not from the animal kingdom? <br>As for humans being carnivorous well just try eating 100% meat for life. Were omnivores at present, tho' Im a herbivore and have been for nealy 10 years - No ill affects. [/quote]<br>I thought he nailed it rather well. I didn't see any comments critical of your lifestyle choice or opinions.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:25 am 

[quote author=City_Hall_Fred link=board=faq;num=1032129445;start=120#127 date=09/03/03 at 03:16:13]   What on earth would you vegitarians do if put in a situation where there was little or nothing else to eat?<br> As a veggie I've heard this argument quite a lot - ever heard of people dying for their beliefs - funny a lot of meateaters can't quite accept some people would actually give up their own lives for an animal. <br>Eat macrobiotic food and go and do some healthy yoga exercises.<br>[/quote]<br>You don't seem to place a high value on your life. I'd rate it more valuable than that of an animal.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:37 am 

My philosophy for many years has been  - if you can't kill and slice up the animal yourself you dont deserve to eat one. I could in an extreme emerency - I didn't say I would give my life up for an animal but some people do.<br><br>Chris F  did have some have some good points but his insensitivity to animals was brutish. My impression from his comments was that animals were dumb and have no emotions and I don't agree. Try spending time with a LIVING cow instead of a dead one.<br><br>I also think the idea of owning animals is pretty sick. I read somewhere (poss- Bury my heart at wounded knee) that the Amerindians were horrified to see whitemen owning animals. If an amimal was penned it had no life and the idea of eating penned/caged animals was barbaric.<br><br>My second day on this forum and I love it all ready by the way. Hi to all the Zappa Family!!  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:40 am 

Yes, it seems Fred's last post didn't use the quoting facility correctly, and I compounded the error by quoting his whole post which included the error.<br><br>Sorry for any confusion guys. One of these days I gotta get organisized.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next