Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: mike keneally
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:35 pm 

is there bad blood between the zappas<br>and mr. keneally - it seemed the response to<br>a question about the ritz universe gig was mighty <br>curt.and i've heard rumors.....hope they're not true???

Post subject: Re: mike keneally
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 7:22 am 

well that z album was a few years back;<br>i meant subsequently<br><br>anyway, thanks for replying<br><br>and, aye aye on the beauty of mk's music

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:10 am 

So is the "bad blood" between MK and Dweezil and Ahmet (and possibly Gail) or did it involve Frank too?  <br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:16 am 

better ask isky

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:26 am 

better ask gail

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 9:54 am 

Hard feelings were related to Mike's departure from Z.<br>Everyone made up   :-* at a Dixie Dregs show in LA years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 10:06 am 

i am glad to hear that

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:42 am 

yeah, he's a phenomenal performer<br>too bad we don't live in san diego, huh ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:08 am 

i don't really know specifics, but i think he loves it<br>there and has a good following;<br><br>based on some of the turnouts here in new york,<br>he's just too unknown to make ends meet on it;<br>i'm not sure it's a matter of not having his act together<br><br>again, i'm not that knowledgeable on the subject<br><br>alas, my touring days have grinded to a halt; maybe <br>when my daughter gets a little older i can start to do<br>that shit again<br><br>1988 was 2 million years ago  :'(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:18 am 

Part of the bad blood between ZFT and Keneally has to do with the fact that mike wanted to do some solo stuff while he was contracted with Z to rehearse write etc. Notice that mike and beller are replaced with dogs on music for pets. Personally for me mike was the reason I went to see Z. <br>Another part of it is that mike declared himself the vaultmeister on his website before Gail had made an official decision. That gig was given to Joe Travers, and joe and mike's relationship suffered for a short time. Mike even wrote a song about it. <br>Another possibility was that mike may have liberated some vault material that ended up in trading circles. <br>These are of course opinions of mine based on coversations I have had with some of the parties involved.<br>I believe mike has a had quite a personal change in the last ten years. He divorced his wife, gained alot of weight, changed the name of the band(beer for dolphins is way cooler than the mike keneally band)and wooden smoke is my least favorite keneally outing. He is one of my favorite guitarist and has the ability to pull off zappa-esque music better than any other. I wish he would hook up with project object more.<br>I wish the ZFT and mike had not gone their seperate ways but Mike is not Frank and I can see some of the conflict involved.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:41 am 

i agree with both of you guys<br>it's just great to be "of the 100", isn't it ?<br><br>yeah he does really work well with a "big band"<br>it's the closest thing to frank i've seen<br><br>john lurie is similar but the music doesn't go as many<br>places and the components are way different

Post subject: re: mike keneally
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:59 pm 

[quote author=m.keneally link=board=faq;num=1036197324;start=15#16 date=jan '05 [font=times new roman]guitar player mag interview[/font]][font=times new roman]...actually, the primary musical lesson i got from frank wasn't so much the odd-meter thing as it was the way he would put notes in odd rythmical groupings over a fairly basic pulse; although he did write stuff in odd meters, the underlying groove would often be in straight time, while the melodies on top were grouped in really outrageous ways<br><br>....here's a lick in 4/4, yet beat one is a triplet & beat two is a quintuplet; your 1[sup]st[/sup] goal should be playing beat two's five sixteenths in the space of four - in other words, in the space of one beat - evenly...when you can do that, try beat three which is a septuplet; once you've learned how to space 7 notes evenly over one beat, you then have to learn how to execute the triplet that occurs in the space of two of those septuplet pulses...frank did this a lot: groupings within groupings[/font][/quote]<br>that shit's way over my head....any fz examples of what's he's talkin about ¿[hr]<br>[quote author=citizen of canarsie link=board=faq;num=1036197324;start=15#18 date=12/23/04 at 21:45:08].. He did say the riff was only one bar...[/quote]<br>that black page is pretty close with the 3-5-7, except the last part of the 7 is split into a 3 and a 1<br><br>3-5-7 tab:<br><br><br><br>[center][table][tr][td]7[/td][td].[/td][td].[/td][td].[/td][td].[/td][td]5[/td][td]7[/td][/tr][tr][td].[/td][td]5[/td][td].[/td][td].[/td][td]8[/td][td].[/td][td].[/td][td]6[/td][td]7[/td][td]3[/td][td]2[/td][td]5[/td][td][sub]/[/sub][/td][td]--[/td][td][sub]\[/sub][/td][/tr][tr][td].[/td][td].[/td][td]7[/td][td]5[/td][td].[/td][td].[/td][td].[/td][td].[/td][td].[/td][td].[/td][td].[/td][td].[/td][td]2[/td][td]0[/td][td]2[/td][td]4[/td][td]6[/td][/tr][/table][/center]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:45 pm 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=faq;num=1036197324;start=15#17 date=12/23/04 at 20:59:42]<br>that shit's way over my head....any fz examples of what's he's talkin about ¿[/quote]<br><br>this is from the black page#1<br>[img]<br>http://www.zappa-analysis.com/blackpnw.jpg<br>[/img]<br>it sounds like he's talkin bout bars 14-15 of the black page#2      but maybe not. He did say the riff was only one bar. ???<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:05 am 

Well, I guess it's for a noble cause and I love jazz and improvised music, but a 72 hour non-stop improvisation seems more like a gimmick to me than something with actual musical value.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:48 am 

I believe that Keneally is just making a point about how tricky Zappa's rhythms can get. He's not referring to a particular piece, he's building a progressively more complex picture by saying a triplet is easiest, a quintuplet is harder and then a septuplet is even more difficult. But then, take two of the pulses of the septuplet and replace them with a triplet, now that's a serious challenge. See the diagram below.<br><br>  Image

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:46 am 

[quote author=Studebaker link=board=faq;num=1036197324;start=15#20 date=03/03/06 at 08:05:35]Well, I guess it's for a noble cause and I love jazz and improvised music, but a 72 hour non-stop improvisation seems more like a gimmick to me than something with actual musical value. [/quote]<br><br>Sure sounds like fun, though.<br>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:02 am 

Well, at least it 'll be better than Kenny G.'s attempt to get an entry in the Guinness Book of World Records by playing the longest note ever recorded on a saxophone. ;D<br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:59 am 

[quote author=Studebaker link=board=faq;num=1036197324;start=15#23 date=03/04/06 at 13:02:05]Well, at least it 'll be better than Kenny G.'s attempt to get an entry in the Guinness Book of World Records by playing the longest note ever recorded on a saxophone. ;D<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Not to mention the most interesting thing he's ever played.<br>