Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: zappa and miles
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 4:38 pm 

I was wondering. Are threre any accounts of Frank jamming or recording with Miles Davis back in the day?

Post subject: Re: zappa and miles
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 9:11 pm 

never heard that one....they both played the fillmore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 8:17 pm 

yeah I heard they jammed in 71 at the filmore and then tag teamed Yo mama......<br><br>sorry man just kidding..

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:58 am 

thats what I heard too. (or never heard...)<br>I read in some late interview whwre Frank told he went to a Miles Gig in 1961 (or 62 or 63?). He told Miles he enjoyed his music, but Miles just turned around and said nothing. Frank to the interviewer "One should not treat people that way!"<br>In fact I never heard Frank was unkind to fans who met him.<br><br>But, nevertheless, I feel Miles and Frank would have done great together around 1968-70, huh?<br>But they both were "too big" each, I guess. Not comercially but artistically. Both were looking for musicians to use for their ideas which became big themselves later....<br>I mean: Coltrane, Hancock, Corea, McLoughlin, Tony Wiliams, Bozzio, Belew, Vai, ... an endless list of great grat musicinins! ;D  

Post subject: re: zappa and miles
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:04 pm 

[quote author=zliq link=board=faq;num=1033443519;start=0#4 date=03/18/03 at 08:58:27]...I read in some late interview whwre Frank told he went to a Miles Gig in 1961 (or 62 or 63?). He told Miles he enjoyed his music, but Miles just turned around and said nothing. Frank to the interviewer "One should not treat people that way!"<br>In fact I never heard Frank was unkind to fans who met him....  [/quote]<br><br>first time i've heard this one  ???<br><br>anyone else corroborate  ???<br>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:22 pm 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=faq;num=1033443519;start=0#5 date=01/24/05 at 17:04:39]<br><br>first time i've heard this one  ???<br><br>anyone else corroborate  ???<br>[/quote]<br>Yeah, Ive heard that. I thought the situation was Frank walked past Miles and said "Hello, I really like your music..." and Miles just looked at him without expression and just kept walking past Frank.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:31 pm 

The part about Miles ignoring him is believable because from all accounts I have heard or read, Miles was always very unfriendly or at least unresponsive toward people who just approached him from out of the blue and tried to speak to him.

Post subject: re: zappa and miles
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:11 pm 

the 2 concerts i saw, miles said maybe 2 sentences, had his back to the audience half the time, never cracked a smile; kinda reminds me of fripp, basically shut up & play yer horn<br><br>can you imagine a zappa concert like that  ::)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:25 am 

Lumpy is right.<br>I also quoted that interview some months ago in a thread of which I have forgotten the name.<br><br>As regards the "bad" relationships of Frank with jazzmen I think that is untrue because many jazzmen worked with him:<br>George Duke, Mike and Randy Brecker, Bunk Gardner, Don Preston, and I do not list all the persons involved in Grand Wazoo and Waka Jawaka. Simply, Frank did not like some "élitiste" attitudes of some jazzmen (see also "Pojama people").<br>Finally, I am persuaded that Frank gave important suggestions to jazz: Grand Wazoo is a good example in this sense.<br><br>Furthermore it is well known that Frank declared that he decided to stop the first Mothers group after he saw Duke Ellington praying someone for being payed or probably (I do not remember now) for having 10 dollars or something like. Frank declared that this put him in a very depressive state and, as far as I have understood his statement, he probably was admirative of Ellington. I must add that this episode has been contradicted by the ex-Mothers who were fired at that occasion.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:54 pm 

[quote author=pigs_have_beards link=board=faq;num=1033443519;start=0#13 date=01/28/05 at 14:35:36]<br> <br>"We'd been toghether in one configuration or another for about five years at that point, and suddenly EVERYTHING looked utterly hopeless to me. If Duke Ellingtonhad to beg some George Wein asssistant for ten bucks, what the was I doing with a ten-piece band, trying to play rock and roll?"<br>The real frank zappa book was right next to me so I thaught that I should better quote![/quote]<br><br>Yes, it was quoted ih TRFZB. But I have read another interview (too many years ago....) where Frank repeat this but adding something more about Ellington.<br>Anyway.....<br><br>As regards Zappa and Miles I also recalled reading that around the end of the '60s or at the very beginning of '70s Miles declared that at that time he was particularly admirative of Hendrix, Sly Stone etc. AND the Mothers of Invention.<br>It would take me a lot of time to find the exact reference but I am sure I have read this. Unfortunately I have not here the Miles Davis autobiography, so I am unable to say with certainty whether the declaration is <br>in it.<br>

Post subject: re: hendrix and miles
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:38 pm 

[quote author=monstermovie link=board=faq;num=1033443519;start=0#14 date=01/28/05 at 23:54:47]...Miles declared that at that time he was particularly admirative of Hendrix...[/quote]<br>hendrix died one week before they were scheduled to record together in a london studio<br><br>from the beefheart radar station:<br><br>[quote author=g johnston link=board=faq;num=1033443519;start=0#15 date=1970]The recent death of his friend John Coltrane and the subsequent depression he suffered helped nurture his need to create something altogether new. A meeting was arranged between Davis and Hendrix initiated by Hendrix's manager as Jimi, wanting to take his guitar-orientated music further into the jazz domain, felt he could learn something valuable from Miles. The two met up and hit it off, Davis was clearly impressed with Hendrix's aptitude to pick up what he was showing him, despite Hendrix's inability to read music and him being solely self-taught. In the end, the two ended up gleaning more than each had expected from the other. <br><br>Miles writes in his autobiography
Quote:
He[ndrix] had a natural ear for hearing music. So I'd play different shit for him, show him that way. Or I'd play him a record of mine or Trane's and explain to him what we were doing. Then he started incorporating things I told him into his albums. It was great. He influenced me and I influenced him, and that's the way great music is always made
<br> [/quote]<br><br>Image

Post subject: Re: hendrix and miles
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:11 am 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=faq;num=1033443519;start=15#15 date=01/29/05 at 00:38:37]<br>hendrix died one week before they were scheduled to record together in a london studio<br><br>from the beefheart radar station:<br><br> Image[/quote]<br>Miles is the man man

Post subject: Re: hendrix and miles
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:31 pm 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=faq;num=1033443519;start=15#15 date=01/29/05 at 00:38:37]<br><br>Image[/quote]<br><br><br>Image<br><br>I haven't been able to take this out of my cd player for going on 2 weeks now...

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:25 pm 

[quote author=pigs_have_beards link=board=faq;num=1033443519;start=15#17 date=01/29/05 at 15:35:35]My recommendation for headaches: put a miles Davis album on. Sit, and close your eyes  ;)<br>Far better than any paracetamol.[/quote]<br><br>Exactly.<br>This is very very true for many many albums of his different periods, starting from "Birth of the Cool" up to the last one.<br>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:13 pm 

Could it be that he didnt like frank because he was white. I have "heard" that davis did not like whitey and that he was a moody junkie. But I dont know this with any certainty.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:00 am 

All these things are definitively answered in Mile's Davis's autobiography, an absolutely stunning work.  It's hard to believe that Miles can be so unflinchingly honest about his life.  I recommend it to everyone even mildly interested in musical history.  The sleazy underbelly of the jazz world, featuring every major musician alive during mile's career.  I swear you would not believe this book, it opens with the line, and I am NOT paraphrasing " Being on stage with Bird and Dizzy was The best time I ever had with my pants on."  HA!<br>the similarities between Miles and Zappa have often astounded me, it is too bad they never got together.  When I first read that interview about them meeting I could hardly believe my two heroes had had such a hilarious encounter!<br>I love it!   Idon't treat people that way!  it's great, and I've read many accounts of fans running into him which indeed coroborate Frank's story!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:05 pm 

I know i am late on this post but hey what the fuck.<br>At my first job in video production around 1992. I worked with a guy who during the eighties worked as a rigger on a lighting crew for shows at a venue in upstate NY. After a Miles show he was working and Miles walked by and he decide to to tell Miles that he loved his music, and Miles replied, "Get out of my may white boy" No bullshit i asked my friends wife about it and she confirmed the story. Now I had heard that Miles was a moddy junkie and didn't really like white people regardless of how many he worked with. Those guys were great musicians so of course he would work with them. But as far as the common white guy, he was very skeptical of and usually very rude to because he was a moody junkie and angry guy in general. read his bio he comes off as a egotistical, racist, jerkoff. But I still Love his fucking music!!!!!

--Albert Einstein