Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:09 pm
Posts: 20
Location: Off the Beaten Path...
...are they either (a) bootlegs made from when Frank played it over the radio or (b) just plain ol' pirated copies duplicated from the "official" '96 CD release?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:07 am
Posts: 1389
Location: Paris, France
Patio wrote:
Japanese 5-LP box (VAJK 0001/5, 1996)

Whereas in Europe and America, Läther was only released on CD, it was released in Japan on both CD and vinyl.

Except the test pressing, anything else is either a counterfeit or a bootleg from the radio.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:24 am
Posts: 950
Location: Oh, in the sky
This is the boot I have.
Image

_________________
I'm not bald; I'm taller than my hair.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:09 pm
Posts: 20
Location: Off the Beaten Path...
Thank you for those replies

Philmore: Yeah, I have that one too and know that it's a boot from FZ's broadcast of "Lather"

Maroual: You basically answered my question. I wasn't 100% sure that the Japanese vinyl box set was a boot or whether it might have been a legit release in '96. Thanks for clarifying.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:28 pm
Posts: 2731
Location: in the tiny dirt somewhere
Well, with all this vinyl retroness hoopla going on, maybe it would be a good time for the ZFT to release Läther as a 4-LP set: the way the composer originally intended it. Of course, it would be mostly a fetish item for completists: but it would be a very cool fetish item indeed...

_________________
_________________Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 9660
Location: Wellington New Zealand
Ooh yeah, it would only be US$700.00, and true to form would be released 10 years after the release date announcement...... :lol:


Pre order here


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:49 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:22 pm
Posts: 2128
Location: In My Video
I miss the days when I had a good turntable and a pretty decent record collection. Unfortunately, my transient nature in my younger days caused me to lose everything by the wayside. Plus, a lot of it was pilfered from me by people masquerading as my friends.

I have a question about Lather while we're on the subject. Does the Ryko cow cover version have more tracks than my 2012 reissue? I thought I read somewhere that it had 4 additional tracks on it. It was stolen from me so long ago, that I don't remember.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 19428
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Philostopher wrote:
I miss the days when I had a good turntable and a pretty decent record collection. Unfortunately, my transient nature in my younger days caused me to lose everything by the wayside. Plus, a lot of it was pilfered from me by people masquerading as my friends.

I have a question about Lather while we're on the subject. Does the Ryko cow cover version have more tracks than my 2012 reissue? I thought I read somewhere that it had 4 additional tracks on it. It was stolen from me so long ago, that I don't remember.

True

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 9660
Location: Wellington New Zealand
The Ryko release has four so called bonus tracks on Disc Three

Track: 5 Regyptian Strut (1993), 4:42
Track: 6 Leather Goods, 6:01
Track: 7 Revenge of the Knick Knack People, 2:25
Track: 8 Time is Money, 3:04

Unlike the other tracks on the album, there is no info in the liner notes about the bonus tracks....other than their titles and length.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:07 am
Posts: 1389
Location: Paris, France
Could not find a scan of the back of the LP boxed set, however if I do believe these bonus tracks are on Side 9 of the fifth single sided LP.

This is the Japanese mini-LP which is 98% identical with the original Japanese LP:
Image

The bonus tracks were on the initial Ryko CDs, however it seems that they are not on the 2012 re-release. :shock: :shock:

edit: confirmed by the Patio, never realized that


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:15 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:22 pm
Posts: 2128
Location: In My Video
There's another out of print CD I have to get. Dammit man! I'll probably wait until I get some x-mas cash. :idea:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 9660
Location: Wellington New Zealand
Philostopher wrote:
There's another out of print CD I have to get. Dammit man! I'll probably wait until I get some x-mas cash. :idea:


Dear Santa

My friend Philo' has been very very good this year, please give him a huge bag of cash for Christmas.

thank you.



There we go, you're all set Philo' :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:28 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:22 pm
Posts: 2128
Location: In My Video
Gray_Ghost wrote:
Philostopher wrote:
There's another out of print CD I have to get. Dammit man! I'll probably wait until I get some x-mas cash. :idea:


Dear Santa

My friend Philo' has been very very good this year, please give him a huge bag of cash for Christmas.

thank you.



There we go, you're all set Philo' :wink:


Thanks bro!

I usually get cash from my parents, which generally gets spent on music. As a matter of fact, last year it was used to help subsidize the 90+ Zappa album spending spree I was on at the time. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:07 am
Posts: 1389
Location: Paris, France
Philostopher wrote:
There's another out of print CD I have to get. Dammit man! I'll probably wait until I get some x-mas cash. :idea:
Well it is not that expensive on eBay:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:49 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:22 pm
Posts: 2128
Location: In My Video
Maroual wrote:
Philostopher wrote:
There's another out of print CD I have to get. Dammit man! I'll probably wait until I get some x-mas cash. :idea:
Well it is not that expensive on eBay:


You haven't seen my wish list. Plus, I preordered the new Beefheart box. So, I'll have to take the hit for that next month. But, you may have talked me into picking up one of those. Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:09 pm
Posts: 20
Location: Off the Beaten Path...
Maroual wrote:
Could not find a scan of the back of the LP boxed set, however if I do believe these bonus tracks are on Side 9 of the fifth single sided LP.

Here's a scan of the LP boxset, if it will show up... You are correct about the single sided fifth "bonus" disc
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:39 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:22 pm
Posts: 2128
Location: In My Video
Gray_Ghost wrote:
The Ryko release has four so called bonus tracks on Disc Three

Track: 5 Regyptian Strut (1993), 4:42
Track: 6 Leather Goods, 6:01
Track: 7 Revenge of the Knick Knack People, 2:25
Track: 8 Time is Money, 3:04

Unlike the other tracks on the album, there is no info in the liner notes about the bonus tracks....other than their titles and length.


I'm about to pull the trigger on this. Please elaborate on the term "so called bonus tracks". Is this not worth getting? The money is not an object. I've paid more than that for 4 tracks before.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:07 am
Posts: 1389
Location: Paris, France
Philostopher wrote:
You haven't seen my wish list.
De nada. Where is your wish list?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:00 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:22 pm
Posts: 2128
Location: In My Video
Maroual wrote:
Philostopher wrote:
You haven't seen my wish list.
De nada. Where is your wish list?


It is not publicly posted in it's entirety. I was just asking. If there are a lot of Zappa items I want to purchase, should this be at the top of my list. I used to have this version of Lather, but it was stolen from me long ago. And I'd be lying if I said that I remembered those 4 tracks, even though I've heard them once or twice almost 20 years ago.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 9660
Location: Wellington New Zealand
As you're a holder of the completionist's badge Philo', you will have to get the Ryko album to secure the 4 bonus tracks, these versions, to the best of my knowledge appear no where else among the official releases......The "so called" quip was a little sarcasm just for you, cos I know you're a fan :mrgreen:

to quote AC/DC PULL THE TRIGGER!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:35 am
Posts: 566
Philostopher wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
The Ryko release has four so called bonus tracks on Disc Three

Track: 5 Regyptian Strut (1993), 4:42
Track: 6 Leather Goods, 6:01
Track: 7 Revenge of the Knick Knack People, 2:25
Track: 8 Time is Money, 3:04

Unlike the other tracks on the album, there is no info in the liner notes about the bonus tracks....other than their titles and length.


I'm about to pull the trigger on this. Please elaborate on the term "so called bonus tracks". Is this not worth getting? The money is not an object. I've paid more than that for 4 tracks before.


Track: 5 Regyptian Strut (1993), 4:42 - This is the Ryko remix version.
Track: 6 Leather Goods, 6:01 - Guitar solo over the 'Whole Lotta Love' vamp from '77. Similar to Duck Duck Goose.
Track: 7 Revenge of the Knick Knack People, 2:25 - FZ basement music type thing.
Track: 8 Time is Money, 3:04 - Original Sleep Dirt mix, now available on cd.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3537
Location: Between the Badges
Well, if I needed a copy of Revenge of the Knick Knack People, I'd get it from the Serious Music Vinyl. It is 6:23 vs. the 2:25 on Lather. Just sayin'.

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group