Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: FZ Off-Broadway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:11 am 

Hi GZ!

I'm a huge fan of the story/message/music/genius of JOE'S GARAGE. It's my understanding that FZ had some hopes of getting JG onto broadway, but broadway producers back then were too scared, and broadway producers today are even worse.

With the right team and off-Broadway venue, I have the resources here in NYC to get a project started. I would want you to be a part of the process in any way you see fit. I know you are very tight with FZ rights, and I am happy you are. As a fan of over 20 years, I don't want the brilliance of his work to get distorted by some money-grabbing big executive who will cut out all the good stuff and put in a bunch of flakey pojama people who don't know how to Freak Out!

I'm Artistic Director of a young off-off company here in the NYC and putting Joe's Garage on a stage has been my dream for at least a decade now. Pipe-dream as it may be, I have finally mustered to gumption to bombard you with my humble request of having your approval to start working on some ideas and sending them your way to see if we can take it somewhere. I know that I can find some insanely talented FZ fanatics, who will play the fuck out of the score... though my real dream is that Dweezil does it in ZPZ. and if THAT were the case, I would be happy just being some weird freak in a loincloth BeeBop Tango-ing to the (other) beat.

Some people like cupcakes better.
I, for one, care less for them,
Alan Winner

Post subject: Re: fz off-broadway
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:09 pm 

:arrow: a behind the scenes look at frank zappa's world exclusive rock opera "joe's garage" performed at the open fist theatre

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:48 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:

So any idea what happened to this performance? It breaks my heart they beat me to it as my vision took it to the next Zappa level that this promo doesn't seem to do... Shadow puppets, aerial silks, some breathtaking L. Ron Hoover moments... the concept has to be out of this world... that promo makes me think of a slightly dirtier version of Grease 2... I wonder if they would be open to a re-vamp if that one hasn't taken off yet...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:15 pm 

awinner wrote:
So any idea what happened to this performance? It breaks my heart they beat me to it as my vision took it to the next Zappa level that this promo doesn't seem to do... Shadow puppets, aerial silks, some breathtaking L. Ron Hoover moments... the concept has to be out of this world... that promo makes me think of a slightly dirtier version of Grease 2... I wonder if they would be open to a re-vamp if that one hasn't taken off yet...
I have no idea what happened to this performance. Just wanted to let you know it has happened before. 8)

Post subject: Re: FZ Off-Broadway
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:58 pm 

awinner wrote:
that promo makes me think of a slightly dirtier version of Grease 2...

That made me LOL :)

Post subject: re: fz off-broadway
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:10 pm 

awinner wrote:
So any idea what happened to this performance? It breaks my heart they beat me to it as my vision took it to the next Zappa level that this promo doesn't seem to do...
had the chance to attend this excellent show - review here

one of the actors went to zpz, the band broke up... & it looks like ... they will never play again

there was discussion of touring this show but it never happened, suggest you contact open fist theater folks first, ask them how they pulled it off; it was fully sanctioned by gail & co., they even came to one or 2 performances and donated some vaultage vinyl for the theater to auction ... go for the theatrical angle rather than claiming you'll play the fuck out of the score

program

Post subject: Re: FZ Off-Broadway
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:49 am 

A very arousing promo. I could see this show playing weekends in Vegas or Branson. It's not the sort of thing some people want coming to their town, but it is something some people might travel to see.

You Are What You Is would also make a great stage show, somehow, as I see it.

Thanks for the video I never knew.