Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Band Members
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:46 pm 

Been a big fan of FZ since the sixties, collection includes vinyl, CDs(about 60 of those) vhs and DVDs. Have bought some works by other band members too, eg. Steve Vai.
Does anyone know of any other works by Bobby Martin?
Where is he now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:33 pm 

:arrow: Robert Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:10 pm 

Thanks for quick reply, great info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:18 pm 

Well! You live & learn, Lumpy ... I never knew Bobby did anything with those Moody Blues. You're gonna tell me he played with that other girls band, Barclay James Harvest, next!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:23 pm 

Flatulus wrote:
Well! You live & learn, Lumpy ... I never knew Bobby did anything with those Moody Blues. You're gonna tell me he played with that other girls band, Barclay James Harvest, next!

Haha. Barclay James Harvest... oh man... whatever happened to them?

aren't they up for a reunion too, just like everybody else?

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:25 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
Flatulus wrote:

8)

You just had to ask.

http://www.bjharvest.co.uk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:26 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
Flatulus wrote:

8)

You just had to ask.

Edit: Barclay James Harvest sounds like a pretty awful name, but BJ Harvest? That would be so cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:40 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
You just had to ask.

well, what do you know...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:00 am 

I had "Octoberon" back in the day, as I remember that was ok. Havent heard anything else though.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:13 pm 

I actually had the misfortune to see them live once at the Weely Rock Festival in England, 1971. Anyone here remember that extravaganza? Great fun, that one. Anyway, they were boring as shit: "Mocking Bird, tra-la-lah..."

The thing I had against BJH (apart from the fact that they were boring as shit) was that they totally uncredited a guy I have some respect for - Robert John Godfrey, mainman of the Enid, that famous culty "symphonic rock" band. He did a lot of their arranging in the early days and as good as wrote "M. Bird" amongst others - and got precious little credit from them, if any. He sued. I spent a weekend with that band 2 or 3 years ago and dossed down on a bench in his studio. RJG is a very nice man and a very talented one - I just wish he would lose his musical self-doubt and release the "new album" he's been promising for the past 5 years or so. If anyone here liked anything the Enid did in the past, they'd be blown away by the new line-up, because Godfrey is his usual fantastic self on keyboards, and the preview of the stuff I heard from the band was close to awesome - heavy and waaaaay out there! It'll probably never happen though - he'll just keep on tinkering with it and the world will be deprived of a very interesting sound. Shame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:20 am 

Hi
Hey Flatulence ...
A bit late on this one. First Bob Martin did not work with Barclay James Harvest. I dont know about Moody Blue. Bias Boshell who was a Blue was also a Barclay for a bit.

Second Robert John Godfrey tried to sue the band and lost. He was credited with the Mockingbird orchestral arrangement but he tried to claim he was a band member when he wasn't. The judge ruled in BJH favor. They have never denied him credit on anything.

BJH split in 1997. John Lees and Woolly Wolstenholme are now touring as John Lees Barclay James Harvest. Les Holroyd (bass player) has been touring as Barclay James Harvest featuring Les Holroyd since 2002. Yes a bit of a mouthful but they are the two writers. Wishbone Ash and many other bands of that era have a similar situation. Dave and Roger from a certain well known Pink band.

I agree with the so called dull aspect of the band re Mockingbird and I prefer King Crimson for my Mellotron fix but Les' band who I've seen twice since 2002 are stunning. It's like he's got the band he wanted 30 years ago. The guitarist is awesome. Check out their website and MySpace. There are audio and video clips up there. May not be BJH of old and that may be preferable to some but there are some great songs there.

www.barclayjamesharvest.co.uk

The BJHarvest site is a fan site.

JT