Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space Is Deep
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:38 am 

come on seb - SOMEBODY must have given ya directions !<br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:14 am 

[quote author=Sebastiaan link=board=general;num=1074021780;start=0#1 date=01/13/04 at 12:02:46]<br><br>it does, earth is hard to find for a stranger  :)<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Our house is hard enough to find for them useless fuckin' taxi drivers. <br>"He's on his way!!"- where from? fuckin'Nepal? Shite...........<br>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:19 am 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=general;num=1074021780;start=0#0 date=01/13/04 at 11:23:00][center]http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/scienceopticsu/powersof10/index.html<br><br>Gives you a bit of perspective on things, doesn't it?<br><br> 8)[/center][/quote]<br><br>It gives "vertige". Now, the scientists have found that Space is expanding, contrary to their belief. If we reverse it to the "infinitely small"... Humm... Expansion in both directions ? No beginning and no end, except for us ? It ain't fair.   8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:05 pm 

Not bad.....<br>But where are UFOs ?<br>And when one enters the atoms...is Heisenberg there to guide us ?<br>If you like these subjects and if you have not yet it, I advice to read the Julian Barbour's book "Rhe End of Time" (I assume that you all have read the Stephen Hawkins' books, also Frank mentioned him at the beginning of "The Real Frank Zappa Book".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:06 pm 

I'd recomend "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, it's got all kinds of great stuff in.<br><br>You know, some of those pictures are from very far away. What would they do if the radio broke? They'd never get back to the Earth no more!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:31 pm 

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=000073A5-C100-1F80-B57583414B7F0103<br><br>Try that one, it should be what Arkay wanted to show.<br><br>Yeah, Arkay, it's a good book. It lays out a lot of simple ideas, then builds on them, so it's pretty easy to comprehend (you know, as easy as quantum physics can be).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:00 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:41 pm 

[quote author=imisshimbad link=board=general;num=1074021780;start=0#11 date=01/13/04 at 16:00:40]Image[/quote]<br><br>Cool pic!!!!! ;D ;D<br>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:43 pm 

Space is Deep, somebody on this forum likes Hawkwind 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:28 am 

I like to look. A telescope, binoculars, or naked eye in the dark sky, that's for me(: I read in a book once about: "Night, the only time we can see where we are"(: I've been through the Messier list, except still sorting out the M's from the NGC's on "Heartbreak Hill", otherwise known as the Virgo Cluster. So many galaxy's it's hard to know which one's which. There are even 4 there that form two eyes, a nose and a mouth, lol, in the round eyepiece, you look in and suddenly there's a face staring back at ya, it frames perfectly in the eyepiece, all you can see is the face...funny as hell:<br>Image<br>(i didn't make this photo)(oh yeah Micro, I didn't make the one of Marvin either, my girlfriend found that one, lol).<br>I like events too like comet crashes, conjunctions for photography, and meteor storms, (anyone catch the Leonid storm a few years back?). There's so much to do in the sky. Timing has been golden lately because of the Jupiter comet crash and Hale Bopp..two "once in 10 lifetime events in the same lifetime. I like to look, and I like to photograph(:<br>Image<br>Above, Hale Bopp. 10 minute time exposure @ F2 on Gold 400. The camera was mounted on the scope to track the sky, then power was removed from the drive 8 minutes in to stop the camera motion and burn in definition for the tree branches so they wouldn't be all blurred. <br><br>This one below I remember well, it was 0 F and a 28 mph wind at 2am, froze my tits off, (wind chill was something like minus 28 ). (-17C /45kph wind). It was part of a series which I dont have handy on my computer right now.<br>Image<br>Hale Bopp in Cygnus<br><br>Sometimes photos arent' pretty, just very rare like the one below. This one was available for 2 nights about 6 months before Hale Bopp got here. it lined up with globular cluster M14. Besides the line up, it's also special because M14 is up out of the plane of our galaxy's disk, meaning our view is not obscured by matter in the disk, allowing us to see it at a distance of possibly 60,000 light years. Although it's not uncommon to see objects millions of ly away in deep space (my current record is 74 million light years away), it is uncommon to see objects that belong to our milky way far away, (most things we see are less than 1000 ly). So, below is not that pretty a photo but it's a very, very rare line up, a telescopic vision that only occured once for two nights, never to repeat(:<br>It was taken on Halloween, about 6 months before Hale Bopp "got here".<br>Image<br>Hale Bopp and Globular cluster M14<br><br>I got lots more photos around here, i'll have to dig some up(:<br><br>It ain't all fun and games though...lol, here's my car getting winched out of the field I used for the top photo. Lol, I got stuck and called a wrecker. I told him, "stop 60' from me and winch me out, don't go in or you'll sink". Well, this swamp yankee was bull headed and had 4wd...bad combination...he went in and got stuck. After some cussing, he radio'd the shop and got another truck who got the same warning...but being another swamp yankee, HE ALSO went in anyway and got stuck...so he radio'd a THIRD truck who came up and hooked on to the train. 3 - 4 wheel drives and two of them winching during the tow, and 3 hours later I was out!<br>Image<br><br>Stargazing, it's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it!<br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:00 am 

coupla neat space links..the first one takes a minute to get the hang of it, but when it pops out in 3-D it's pretty darn cool, (instructions under the photos).<br><br>http://www.starrywonders.com/m42double.html<br><br>And just a wierd place....."bad astronomy"....<br><br>http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/index.html<br><br>"What's going on: <br>The creepy lounge lizard walks up to you, shirt unbuttoned down to his navel, gold chains dangling, and asks, 'What's your sign?' <br>Calmly, you take a sip of your drink, and say, 'Ophiuchus, the serpent bearer. I guess that's appropriate right now.' "<br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:21 pm 

Image<br><br>(And if that doesn't work, try the link http://monkeybb.50free.net/images_kindly_hosted_for_olly/zappafrankplanetthing.JPG)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:28 am 

Position of Frank's asteroid tonight, Jan 20 in the East at 8 pm EST. Easy landmarks are Leo and the big dipper:<br>Image<br><br>It's brightness is visual magnatude 17.3. I've seen (Pluto), down to 13.8, but it was near the edge of my scope's ability, so (shoot), I'm not going to be able to find/see/photo Zappafrank.<br><br>(more on magnitude scale:<br><br>http://www.theman.themoon.co.uk/Beginners/MagnitudeScale.htm )<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:29 am 

Are there any other backyard stargazers on the forum?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next