Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space Is Deep
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:18 pm 

[center]ImageImageImage<br>Image<br>ImageImageImageImage<br>Image<br>Image<br>[/center]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:58 am 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=general;num=1074021780;start=45#53 date=08/19/04 at 23:49:51]Image[/quote]<br><br>Saturn's sooo cool in any backyard scope, the shadow thrown on the rings makes it 3-D(: Even a cheapo scope will do(: I never realized before 1995 that we cross through it's ring plane every 14 years or so (don't quote me on that, it might be 12 years, I forget), rendering the rings invisible for about 2 weeks. What a wierd way to see Saturn, ringless(: Also, the greatly reduced brightness let's putzes like me spy a few of it's Moons that were invisible to me before, the way to see 'em is to slide the planet just out of the edge of the view to reduce glare, and their faint light can be seen. I think we're about halfway to the next ring plane crossing, when the apparant view will shift to looking "down" on it's rings.<br>Here it is from the wide field camera on Hubble(:<br>Image<br><br><br>Here's a crappy quality photo I got of a Saturn-Moon conjunction, Saturn appeared to slide across the edge of the moon, (i've got the series somewhere". Problem is, without artificially enhansing the photo (using a composite), the exposure that is long enough to register Saturn burns out all the detail in the moon...or...the exposure that is correct for the Moon renders Saturn invisible, (the shot's you see with both are composites, BUT when viewing this in a telescope, your eye compensates and yu can see both quite clearly(:<br>Image

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:24 am 

They're going for step one of the X-prize today...<br>http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/space/2004-09-28-x-prize-preview_x.htm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:20 am 

[quote author=Sebastiaan link=board=general;num=1074021780;start=60#61 date=02/23/05 at 03:24:17]Huge 'star-quake' rocks Milky Way <br> <br>Astronomers say they have been stunned by the amount of energy released in a star explosion on the far side of our galaxy, 50,000 light-years away. <br>The flash of radiation on 27 December was so powerful that it bounced off the Moon and lit up the Earth's atmosphere. <br><br>The blast occurred on the surface of an exotic kind of star - a super-magnetic neutron star called SGR 1806-20. <br><br>If the explosion had been within just 10 light-years, Earth could have suffered a mass extinction, it is said.  [FYI; the Sun is just 8-light minutes away...]<br><br>"We figure that it's probably the biggest explosion observed by humans within our galaxy since Johannes Kepler saw his supernova in 1604," Dr Rob Fender, of Southampton University, UK, told the BBC News website. <br>One calculation has the giant flare on SGR 1806-20 unleashing about 10,000 trillion trillion trillion watts. <br><br>"This is a once-in-a-lifetime event. We have observed an object only 20km across, on the other side of our galaxy, releasing more energy in a 10th of a second than the Sun emits in 100,000 years," said Dr Fender. <br><br>"Had this happened within 10 light-years of us, it would have severely damaged our atmosphere and would possibly have triggered a mass extinction," said Dr Bryan Gaensler, of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, who is the lead author on one of the forthcoming Nature papers. <br><br>"Fortunately there are no magnetars anywhere near us." <br><br>Story from BBC NEWS:<br>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/science/nature/4278005.stm<br><br>[/quote]<br>phew that was lucky, i like the title Huge 'star-quake' rocks Milky Way sounds like a headline for a successful gig  ;D<br>

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:26 pm 

[quote author=flammaster link=board=general;num=1074021780;start=60#64 date=02/23/05 at 15:11:00]by the time a star is ready to explode it becomes very compact and very dense.  [/quote]<br>That's one thing that always puzzle me. According to the Big Bang theory, all matters, everything we see, was compressed in a single point just before the initial explosion.<br><br>Here, we buy milk in plastic bags. Have you ever tried to squeeze such a bag in the fridge ? Impossible. Liquid can't be compressed.   8)    

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:39 pm 

[quote author=Mij link=board=general;num=1074021780;start=60#65 date=02/23/05 at 19:26:42]<br>That's one thing that always puzzle me. According to the Big Bang theory, all matters, everything we see, was compressed in a single point just before the initial explosion.<br><br>Here, we buy milk in plastic bags. Have you ever tried to squeeze such a bag in the fridge ? Impossible. Liquid can't be compressed.   8)    [/quote]<br>maybe god drank it just before he went BANG!

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:10 am 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=general;num=1074021780;start=60#67 date=02/23/05 at 23:25:11]<br>Damn! We wasted billions of dollars on atom smashers, particle detectors and space telescopes; and the whole time, the answer was sitting there in Mij's refrigerator...<br>[/quote]<br>...along with something green we can't identify that comes out only at night, crawling on the kitchen floor...   8)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:51 pm 

LOL ;D ;D<br><br><br>By the way, Have you heard that the NASA won't sustain Hubble  the litlle guy who worked more than he was thought he could , and gave us so many wonderfull picture of the outer space.   He' ll fall into one of our see one day instead of being taken care of.<br><br>Question of money, of course. <br><br>He won't be replace before a long time either, which means that we'll stay blind for a while between his last shot and the new  "hubble" first shot.<br><br>It is said that the nasa community is very sad.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:20 am 

[quote author=Mij link=board=general;num=1074021780;start=60#65 date=02/23/05 at 19:26:42]<br>That's one thing that always puzzle me. According to the Big Bang theory, all matters, everything we see, was compressed in a single point just before the initial explosion.<br><br>Here, we buy milk in plastic bags. Have you ever tried to squeeze such a bag in the fridge ? Impossible. Liquid can't be compressed.   8)    [/quote]<br><br>Image<br>Image

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:07 pm 

<br>Europe ice mission lost in ocean  <br>By Helen Briggs <br>BBC News science reporter, Frascati  <br><br> <br>The European Space Agency has confirmed that its ice mission, Cryosat, has been lost off the Russian coast. <br><br>The satellite fell into the Arctic Ocean minutes after lift-off from the Plesetsk Cosmodrome in northern Russia. <br><br>The £90m (135m euro) craft was designed to monitor how the Earth's ice masses are responding to climate change. <br><br>Scientists said the crash was a "tragedy" and it would be years before they could launch a similar mission, even if more funding were available. <br><br>"It is a very sad event for many scientists around Europe and also for the teams involved in industry which built the satellite," said Volker Liebig, director of Earth observation programmes at Esa. <br><br>Mark Drinkwater, Cryosat mission scientist, said it would be a long time before a similar mission could be mounted. <br><br>"I feel extremely sorry for the teams of scientists who have staked whole careers on preparing experiments," he said. <br><br>  <br>British scientist, Duncan Wingham, of University College London, UK, proposed the mission seven years ago. <br><br>He said there was no other satellite in Europe or America that could do its job. <br><br>"Space is a risky business, it always has been; it doesn't always go perfectly," he told the BBC News website. <br><br>"We just have to think about where we go from today." <br><br>Esa's member states will make a decision in December on how much money to contribute to Earth observation projects. <br><br>Short-lived joy <br><br>Cryosat launched at 1902 local time (1602 BST) on Saturday, on a Rockot vehicle - a converted SS-19 intercontinental ballistic missile. <br><br>The rocket, which in the Cold War would have been armed with nuclear weapons, had been modified for peaceful space duties with the addition of a Breeze-KM upper stage. <br><br><br>The satellite is believed to have crashed some 100km (62 miles) off the Russian coast, in an area of the Arctic Ocean known as the Lincoln Sea. <br><br>Officials said it might be possible to recover fragments of debris that could provide information on what went wrong. <br><br>The spacecraft was designed to provide data on the extent and thickness of the Earth's ice sheets. <br><br>Previous satellite measurements, submarine and surface readings point to rapid melting in some areas, particularly in the Arctic Ocean where the extent of summer ice reached a record minimum this year. <br><br>Mission scientists had gathered at Esa's European Space Research Institute, in Frascati, near Rome, to watch the launch via satellite link from Russia. <br><br>They clapped and cheered as the rocket was seen clearing the launch pad, but their jubilation was short-lived. <br><br>About 90 minutes after launch, when the spacecraft should have separated from the upper stage of its rocket, mission controllers failed to locate the satellite. <br><br> Image<br>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:20 am 

[quote author=Mij link=board=general;num=1074021780;start=60#64 date=02/23/05 at 19:26:42]Here, we buy milk in plastic bags. [/quote]<br><br>To cut costs, the school I went to (as well as other schools in my district, although I'm not sure) started giving out milk in a bag instead of the usual cartons. As you can imagine, it didn't last long. It's virtually impossible to put a straw in.<br>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:41 am 

[quote author=Billy link=board=general;num=1074021780;start=60#72 date=10/18/05 at 12:20:35]The school I went to started giving out milk in a bag instead of the usual cartons. As you can imagine, it didn't last long. It's virtually impossible to put a straw in.<br>[/quote]<br><br>[center]Milk Bags!! ;D Hahaha! <br><br><br>Image<br><br>"Goddamn it, GIVE ME MY MILK BAG!"[/center]<br><br>[center][hr][/center]<br><br>[center]Image<br><br>"Here's your sloppy joe, and here's your milk bag. Bon Appetit."[/center]<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:02 pm 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next