Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:37 pm 

plagarism , rip off , piss take , genuine compliment or just coincidence , there are many artists who somehow or other , by intention or just unconsciousl absorption ended up producing material that sounds very much like something thats gone before - what yer recon ?<br><br>i recon the first bit of SOMETIME WORLD by WISHBONE ASH sounds like STILL IN LOVE WITH YOU by THIN LIZZY - ASH did it first.<br><br>also ZAPPA wise one of em punky type tunes on sheik yer booty was definitly lifted by stiff little fingers - ill get back to yers on the names when iv got em worked out.<br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:48 pm 

i recently noticed that Iggy Pop's "Knocking 'Em Down (In The City)" (1980) sounds a lot like Kiss' "Hard Times" (1979)<br><br>check it out for yourself

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:32 pm 

A whole lot of Wesley Willis songs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:18 pm 

[quote author=mungo link=board=legends;num=1056580680;start=0#0 date=06/25/03 at 15:37:59]plagarism , rip off , piss take , genuine compliment or just coincidence , there are many artists who somehow or other , by intention or just unconsciousl absorption ended up producing material that sounds very much like something thats gone before - what yer recon ?<br><br>i recon the first bit of SOMETIME WORLD by WISHBONE ASH sounds like STILL IN LOVE WITH YOU by THIN LIZZY - ASH did it first.<br><br>also ZAPPA wise one of em punky type tunes on sheik yer booty was definitly lifted by stiff little fingers - ill get back to yers on the names when iv got em worked out.<br><br>mungo[/quote]<br><br>Wich Zappa song on Sheik yerbouti?<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:26 am 

Of course everyone knows about the He's So Fine- My Sweet Lord connection. And that John Lennon was sued for plagiarizing a line from a Chuck Berry song<br><br>Then there is the Vanilla Ice song 'Ice Ice Baby' that has the same music at the beginning, as the Queen/Bowie song 'Under Pressure' Mr. Ice has admitted that his song does sound similar, but his version has one extra note.<br><br>My favorite was when John Fogerty got taken to court for plagarism. Apparently he wrote a song that sounded too much like a CCR song - The Old Man Down The Road vs. Run Through The Jungle...... And then he wrote a song about it.<br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:33 am 

I hear Zeppelin had to pay out a lot to old blues artists.<br><br>"The Song Remains the Same" - get it?  ;D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:55 am 

Here's a shocker that most of you without a musical education probably never realized...after years of careful research I have come to the conclusion that  "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" bears an uncanny resemblence to "The Alphabet Song"  :o The evidence is irrefutable! Who is responsible for this treachery?  ???

>You don't.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:43 am 

Not that I like to flaunt my knowledge of western classical music or anything, but whoever composed the soundtrack to the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey blatantly ripped off that classical writing team "The Strauss Brothers" (Richard and Johann)* in not one, but several scenes...Am I the only one here who sees this? Am I?<br><br>*The Strauss Brothers were kind of a Viennese version of The Carpenters, except that they were both doods. Not many people are privy to this info...(and I'm not even sure what privy means)

>You don't.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:50 pm 

[quote author=Lets_Be_Fraynk link=board=legends;num=1056580680;start=0#5 date=06/26/03 at 13:33:42]I hear Zeppelin had to pay out a lot to old blues artists.<br><br>"The Song Remains the Same" - get it?  ;D[/quote]<br><br>Led Zeppelin plays a lot of Willie Dixon's blues as covers, mainly in their first album...that's not stealing.<br>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:52 pm 

The Roger Waters' IN THE FLESH riff comes out often in his solo album... specially in THE PROS AND CONS OF HITCH HICKING and in AMUSED TO DEATH... Why Roger? I think you did better-sound things than IN THE FLESH... anyway I'm a Floyd fan...I like IN THE FLESH too, of course.<br><br>ciao

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:02 pm 

I don't own any of their albums but all the Status Quo songs that I heard -maybe with the exception of In the Army Now- sound like the same to me (suitably chosen band name).<br><br>All the songs from that good old band Scorpions are the same, as well (maybe except for Winds of Change; suitably chosen song title).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:35 am 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=legends;num=1056580680;start=0#12 date=06/26/03 at 15:49:03][center]<br>Don't worry...we'll letcha know if that happens!<br><br> ;) 8) ;)[/center][/quote]<br><br>Oh, jimmie...flattery will get you EVERYWHERE...  :-*<br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:17 am 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=legends;num=1056580680;start=15#17 date=06/27/03 at 06:50:26][center]<br><br>...see quote above yours, Ms. Zu...[/center][/quote]<br><br>sorry Ms.mie... ;D ;D ;)<br>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:53 am 

"Taxman" - The Beatles<br>"Start" - The Jam<br><br>Same bass-line (dum-durm-de-dumdumdum)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next