Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Zappa on Sport.....
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:35 pm 

On "Excentrifugal Forz" there is a line about not caring for sports, on You Are What You Is-"He learned to play golf and he got a good score" on YCDTOSA Vol. 4 there's "Take Me Out To The Ball Game", on Thing-Fish they go up to the warden's office to drink some hot toddy and watch some footballs.<br><br>I don't think Frank cared in the least about sports.  I remember him saying how he didn't understand how people could be so fascinated with baseball.  I also remember him comparing his work ethic and creative goals to others by saying that most guys were satisfied with drinking a can of beer and watching a football game while he wanted to take it further than that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 6:07 am 

You Are What You Is - Title track.<br><br>'He learned to play golf <br>An' he got a good score <br>Now he says to himself <br>I Ain't No Nigger No More'<br><br>------------------------------------------------------------------------<br><br>Sorry, Dean already said that, I didn't read his properley<br>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 1:08 am 

unbelievable, but true:<br>Franco zappa or better Gian-Franco Zappa is a suisse socker player, doing his job at FC Zürich, <br>the report here is unbelievably strange, so if someone doesn't understand german, i would like to translate,,<br>I nearly laughed my ass off :-)<br><br>watch it at;<br><br>http://www.die80er.ch/lifestyle_sports.php<br><br><br>Die Fussballweltmeister in den 80ern waren Italien und Deutschland. Aber wichtiger war der Schienbeinschoner. Mit dem Schienbeinschoner ging die ganze Fussballkultur vor die Hunde. Auch die Hosen wurden geräumiger, die Trikots farbiger. <br>Was blieb, war die Fussballmauer, Gian-Franco Zappa und Karl Grob (wenigstens aus helvetischer Sicht). Letztere zwei spielten für den FC Zürich und wurden von zwei Sorten Fussballern gehasst. Zappa von allen Spielern, die das Vergnügen hatten, gegen den FCZ zu spielen und gerade in derjenigen Fussballmauer zu stehen, die einen Freistoss von Zappa erwarteten. Karl Grob vom Rest, natürlich mit Ausnahme seiner Mitspieler. Zappa war der Eder der Schweiz, seine Freistösse waren legendär. Die gegnerischen Spieler formierten sich zur Mauer, ihr primäres Geschlechtsorgan schützend. Ihr Glück war, dass Gian-Franco Zappa nicht wirklich ein Fussballer war und die Mauer, geschweige denn das Tor, selten traf. Er war eher ein Mani Joller der 80er, ein Holzfäller mit Stollenschuhen.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 7:51 pm 

Quote:
....but us regular folks, <br>who might wear tennis shoes <br>or an occasional python boot....

Post subject: re: zappa on sport.....
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 7:22 pm 

fz wrote:
now, if you think hockey is entertaining, which I don't, go get hockey...

why carry a real string section when a synth playing strings sound the same in a hockey rink?

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 4:04 am 

I'm a big NFL fan and I have no issues with what FZ said about football or sports in his music.  I think he made light of it to the extent that people got pre-occupied with it.  <br><br>I think the best quote that summed up his feelings were in the May 1993 Playboy interview (OMG...10 years already) while he was very ill:<br><br>"Time is the thing. Time is everything. How to spend time. We all want something to do with our minds. The choices are a major human preoccupation. The people who find the easiest solutions, like beer and football, might be happier if they had just a little dimension to their lives. But most people, once they achieve a certain level of gratification for time disposal, don't go beyond it. They already know how good they're going to feel when a football game comes on, and they have their beer. They don't want to know beyond that. They build a life around it. It's been the same for me since I got cancer as it was before. I have to look way beyond the football game and the can of beer. Once I've gone out there and dabbled on that fringe, I feel as if I may as well bring some artifacts back, in case anybody else is interested.  That's what I do. I come back and go, "Here it is. This is what happened after the football game.""<br>

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 4:53 pm 

[quote author=ZF link=board=quotes;num=1040400920;start=0#8 date=05/23/03 at 04:49:12]<br><br>He liked playin' table tennis though....::)<br><br><br>Image[/quote]That's a great picture.  I'd never seen it before.  It certainly shows Frank in a different light than we're used to. <br>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:49 am 

[quote author=dean link=board=quotes;num=1040400920;start=0#12 date=05/24/03 at 19:53:24]<br>That's a great picture.  I'd never seen it before.  It certainly shows Frank in a different light than we're used to. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Oh dear god yes!

truth is not beauty
beauty is not love
love is not music
music is the best

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:17 am 

That picture was great! I remember reading somewhere (might have been TRFZB): "I was a monster at badminton". This was about his highschool years. Maybe he was kidding, but I think his physique would be appropriate for something like that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:34 am 

[quote author=RayBuckmiller link=board=quotes;num=1040400920;start=0#6 date=03/17/03 at 03:08:07]unbelievable, but true:<br>Franco zappa or better Gian-Franco Zappa is a suisse socker player, doing his job at FC Zürich, <br>the report here is unbelievably strange, so if someone doesn't understand german, i would like to translate,,<br>I nearly laughed my ass off :-)<br><br>watch it at;<br><br>http://www.die80er.ch/lifestyle_sports.php<br><br><br>Die Fussballweltmeister in den 80ern waren Italien und Deutschland. Aber wichtiger war der Schienbeinschoner. Mit dem Schienbeinschoner ging die ganze Fussballkultur vor die Hunde. Auch die Hosen wurden geräumiger, die Trikots farbiger. <br>Was blieb, war die Fussballmauer, Gian-Franco Zappa und Karl Grob (wenigstens aus helvetischer Sicht). Letztere zwei spielten für den FC Zürich und wurden von zwei Sorten Fussballern gehasst. Zappa von allen Spielern, die das Vergnügen hatten, gegen den FCZ zu spielen und gerade in derjenigen Fussballmauer zu stehen, die einen Freistoss von Zappa erwarteten. Karl Grob vom Rest, natürlich mit Ausnahme seiner Mitspieler. Zappa war der Eder der Schweiz, seine Freistösse waren legendär. Die gegnerischen Spieler formierten sich zur Mauer, ihr primäres Geschlechtsorgan schützend. Ihr Glück war, dass Gian-Franco Zappa nicht wirklich ein Fussballer war und die Mauer, geschweige denn das Tor, selten traf. Er war eher ein Mani Joller der 80er, ein Holzfäller mit Stollenschuhen.[/quote]<br><br>dear ray......I FUCKING CAN NOT BELIEVE IT!!!!<br>this is GREAT!!!<br> ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D<br>wowie zowie!!!<br>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:33 am 

Quote:
When I was eleven years old I was 5 ft. 7 with hairy legs, pimples and a mustache...for some strange reason they'd never let me be the captain of the softball team.
<br><br>Biographical Trivia from Freak Out!

Post subject: re: zappa on sport.....
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:18 pm 

Post subject: Re: zappa on sport.....
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:20 pm 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=quotes;num=1040400920;start=15#17 date=03/04/05 at 20:18:35]Image[/quote] <br><br>Great picture  ;D ;D ;D ;D!!!<br>

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:21 am 

[quote author=ZF link=board=quotes;num=1040400920;start=0#8 date=05/23/03 at 04:49:12]<br><br>He liked playin' table tennis though....::)<br>Image[/quote]<br>I'm not able to see this pic - does anyone have it to re-post.  I'd love to see it.  Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:37 am 

In an interview I have on tape Tommy Mars talks about some free time in Florida when he spied Frank standing in the ocean in a pair of cut-offs and Frank turned away, embarrassed.  It's like peeking into another world - seeing Frank doing something other than playing, conducting, working in studio or being interviewed.<br><br>Those pics are great and I'm off now to check out some more!  Cheers JimmieD!   :)