Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:00 am 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=albums;num=1051111703;start=45#54 date=02/16/05 at 11:00:41]<br><br>Well, my answer is much more boring than Isaac's...<br><br>I think he, uh... ya know he changed his miiiiiiiiiiinnnd...<br>People do that now and then.<br>... anyway, I have both at home, so mayyyybe laaaaaateeeeeer, I'll listen to the parts that got cut for any clues.... (after all it didn't make the cut for Zoot Allures, does anyone know why?)<br><br>What is puzzling me right now are timeline issues.  Maybe I'm confusing some points, so anyone who can clarify please do so.  The following includes my recollections of events...<br><br>1.  FZ submitted Lather to WB<br>2.  WB declined<br>3.  FZ released ZINY with its own issues<br>4.  WB released Studio Tan, Sleep Dirt and Orchestral Favorites that were FZ-sequenced but not the sequence of Lather.<br><br>Why I'm interested in this, primarily #4, is that I've heard people complain about the tone of ST, SD and OF saying that it is off due to the fact that the Lather masters were delivered to WB as undecoded Dolby masters.  So...<br><br>A.  Did WB release ST, SD and OF using the un-Dolby'd masters?<br>B.  If so, were they really sequenced by FZ?<br>C.  If he did sequence them himself (ya know, after Lather was off the table), why the hell didn't he set up the Dolby for it?  (I really doubt that FZ just told them how to sequence it by phone...)<br>D.  How did it turn out that FZ was not consulted on virtually every aspect of ST, SD, and OF, except for the sequencing?  Especially considering that not all the tracks on SD, ST, and OF were submitted for Lather.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Peronally, I dont believe the whole story about WB not having the EQ-settings / "secret dolby codes"...<br>...just listen to the Vinyl albums...<br><br>Anyway... <br>- We know they made vinyl test pressings of The Lather album...<br>- We know Frank had made Acetate pressings of Regyptian Strut and <br>Greggery Peccary (and who knows what else from Lather) allready in April 1975,<br>when he played them on the radio (WPLR - New Haven).<br>This was even before "One Size Fits All" was released....<br>This tells me that these masters had been in the WB system for a long time before<br>they where used on the albums.<br>Hard to believe they didnt have the info they needed to use them.<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:11 pm 

[quote author=Isaac link=board=albums;num=1051111703;start=45#57 date=02/23/05 at 18:26:01]...There are no record albums in existence that have 30 minutes on each side...[/quote]<br>wrong again<br><br>musique italienne du xvii et xvii'eme siecle, m<br>side a: 56' 50" ; side b: 58' 36"<br><br>bach: the goldberg variations everest label<br>side 1, ~47 min; side 2, ~45 min<br><br>haydn's the 7 last words of our saviour on the cross; orchestra of st. lukes's/julius rudel, conductor<br>side 1: 42'35" side 2: 30'04"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:08 am 

Is there anyone on this board that hasn't shit on Isaac in a debate?  <br><br> :-/Yowza.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:34 pm 

I've known the original lp since the 70's. I know every note. Then the cd came out....it was something fresh....but nowhere NEAR the masterpiece of the original release...no matter what warner brothers did. That was the lp....I learned it, memorized it....and the first version you hear of ANYTHING is usually the version of choice for most.<br>  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:48 pm 

[quote author=Isaac link=board=albums;num=1051111703;start=45#57 date=02/23/05 at 18:26:01]<br><br>Fuck you, asshole.<br><br>You know I'm right.<br><br>And no amount of doctored images will change that.<br><br>Yeah, you're wrong. Go figure. ::)<br><br>Just shut the fuck up before you embarrass yourself again.<br><br>There are no record albums in existence that have 30 minutes on each side:<br><br>That's the reason that the UK and US releases of Frank Zappa Meets the Mothers of Prevention had different tracks when they were originally issued on vinyl: the full album was too damn long!<br><br>I think that it is YOU who is the most likely to go back, delete all your posts and lie about it, since you've done it before (AND PINNED IT ON ME, you shameless bastard! "Why can't I do it? Isaac did it all the time!" No, I didn't you lying piece of shit -- I've never done that! Where the fuck's your evidence, you prick? Show me some evidence! Oh, right.... you have NONE!) :P[/quote]<br><br>my boss has this saying --  " why are we stepping on our dicks all the time"?....  <br><br>yours must be getting plenty sore, isaac...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:08 am 
Banned

Please stop faking quotes in my name. I NEVER said this shit. Anyone who knows me knows that I would NEVER say this shit. I don't know what I did to deserve such agitation pushed at me, especially over something I never said in the first place. Can we end this argument now? This is getting ridiculous.

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:39 am 

[quote author=isaac link=board=albums;num=1051111703;start=60#68 date=02/27/05 at 11:08:59]THIS ARGUMENT IS STUPID!!! ::)<br><br>Let's agree to disagree here, all right?<br><br>If I admit that I was wrong will you guys stop flooding the board with useless redundant topics mocking me, stop replying to the useless redundant topics mocking me, and forget that all of this ever happened?...Is that clear enough?[/quote]<br><br>then why did you flog an 8-month-old dead horse  ???<br><br>[quote author=isaac link=board=albums;num=1051111703;start=15#27 date=02/14/05 at 19:30:57][center][tt]A little over two months later....[/tt]...[/center][/quote]<br>have to admit, we were all long overdue for another r.o.t.s.o. sleep dirt flame-fest  ;D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:52 am 
Banned

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
have to admit, we were all long overdue for another r.o.t.s.o. sleep dirt flame-fest

We are not overdue for ANY flame-fest.

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:10 am 
Banned

timmo82 wrote:
victory? what the fuck? this is about admitting a fact. LP sides can go over 20 minutes, which you denied about 100 times in chat last night, but now you're saying they can. you're the one with the ego problems.

I wasn't IN the chat last night, schmuck.

timmo82 wrote:
the bottom line is you don't care about if something true or not, only whether you look like you know what you're talking about, however transitory that appears, which to shatter your illusions, is never.

Psst, Earth to Timmo. You're embarrassing yourself by repeatedly making claims that you have absolutely no evidence of.

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:56 am 
Banned

Please stop stomping your feet and throwing your little temper tantrums. You are in the wrong. Accept it.

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:03 pm 

HAHAHA! How did I just know, just by looking at the very title of this thread, that not <br>only would Isaac be involved -- but that there would be exuberant bickering, indeed.  ;D

yore barkin' up the wrong tree.
- Festus Haggen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:44 pm 
Banned

timmo82 wrote:
fuck off!

Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:27 am 

I think Thana Harris did an ok job on the Sleep Dirt songs, some of the high notes are sorta rough.   Who do you think would have done a better job?  How about Gayle McCormick or Janis Joplin (had she still been alive at the time)?

They never won't

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:01 am 

[quote author=Carvin_Abuser link=board=albums;num=1051111703;start=75#79 date=05/16/05 at 09:27:05]I think Thana Harris did an ok job on the Sleep Dirt songs, some of the high notes are sorta rough.   Who do you think would have done a better job?  How about Gayle McCormick or Janis Joplin (had she still been alive at the time)? [/quote]<br><br>For me it's not a case of who coulda done better. It's that the vocals are not needed for these songs and to me vocals FUCK 'EM UP!!<br><br>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next