Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:23 pm 
Banned

Once again: Frank wrote a musical called Hunchentoot that specified the use of these songs, with vocals.<br><br>When, for some reason, in 1984, he recorded vocals for some of the 1974-era instrumental recordings of the songs from Hunchentoot (including most of Sleep Dirt and Planet of My Dreams from Them or Us), he decided to stick them on the Sleep Dirt album, rather than create a new album.<br><br>In any case, it was Frank's decision, and we're stuck with it (EDIT: Actually, you can listen to the original versions on Läther) until the ZFT releases the album on DVD-Audio, or a similar format, in which case I would suggest a "Complete Sleep Dirt Sessions" type of release which would include both the instrumental versions of the songs, and the vocal cuts as "bonus tracks" immediately following the album.<br><br>I like both versions of the songs, anyway. So there. 8)

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:55 pm 

carvin_abuser wrote:
...Who do you think would have done a better job?  How about Gayle McCormick or Janis Joplin...

karen carpenter, anne murray or boy george coulda done a better job...but yoko gets my vote

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 7:09 am 

Personally, I think the best songs on the album don't have lyrics on them (and never have).

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:08 pm 

I also prefer the instrumental versions but as songs I figure they would be a lot better with a more appropriot singer, like the ones I mentioned.

They never won't

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:32 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:47 am 

Ballsack, who cares if those songs were intended for Frank's Hunchentoot musical? Frank effectively ruined Flambay, Spider Of Destiny and Time Is Money when he drafted in Thana Harris to yodel all over them. I burnt a mix CD using the non-vocal tracks on the Sleep Dirt CD and the non-overdubbed SD tracks on Lather, and to my mind, SD is made 100 times better by being wholly instrumental. One of my favourite Zappa records. <br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:50 am 

The working title of Sleep Dirt was Hot Rats III, not Thana Harris never shuts the hell up.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:48 am 

[glow=red,2,300]WITHOUT![/glow]<br><br>I posted this pre-crash but I came across the thread and I had to post it again - those vocals piss me off as my record deck no longer functions so I can't play the vinyl version and only have a CD version with vocals on - it means I just don't listen to it anymore which is a shame as I loved that album.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:04 am 

aM i TH ONLY 1 ??

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:49 am 

Gotta admit that the Sleep Dirt cd is one of the FZ albums I play the least. Thana Harris' vocals sound like a bunch of baby seals being clubbed to death...  ::)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:12 am 

NO, I'm with you Stride.  I LOVEEEEEEE sleep dirt.   I have had Thana's vocals in my head ever since I first heard it.   even right now!!! "oooohhhh, hunchentoot my love!!!!" I can't get enough of it.  Furthermore, the three tracks with vocals, were all weak points of the Lather album for me.  I MUCH prefer all of those tracks with vocals.  It actually makes me really sad that I don't have a full cd's worth of Hunchentoot tracks.  I want the whole thing!!! I love this scifi loveline so much!!!! gimme more!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:30 am 

Also, Thana does have some weak delivries on a few of the high notes, (I noticed 3 blotches tops)  but otherwise I absolutely love her voice for these tracks.  The mildly missed notes might even have been part of her character.  Here is a great story about recording it.http://www.arf.ru/Notes/Sdirt/intro2.html

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:49 am 

Classic thread here.......... :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:27 am 

Her voice doesn't offend my ear - other than being too Streisand-esque for comfort - but the fact is, thanks to Frank's revisionism and the ZFT's disorderliness, we haven't got a full-length instrumental Flambay in the official catalogue, and that's bad.

And DVD-Audio? No-one wants DVD-Audio!! For a very simple reason - you still can't get a reasonably priced DVD-A compatible portable player, which doesn't fritter away battery juice at an unconscionably rapid rate, anywhere in the world!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:08 am 

cyst-array wrote:
And DVD-Audio? No-one wants DVD-Audio!!

'Cept fer me, that is.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:56 am 

i will never listen to the CD again as long as i live
i am still recovering from the one and only time i was subjected to it

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:04 am 

just plain doug wrote:
cyst-array wrote:
And DVD-Audio? No-one wants DVD-Audio!!

'Cept fer me, that is.

And me too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:14 pm 

i've made a drastic 180 on the 5.1 DVD-A thing. I used to not care and Douchemonger's relentless babbling about it kinda turned me off to it but within the last couple of years I have really gotten into listen to a lot 5.1/surround sound mixed stuff. Quad mixes also. There are a shit load of 70's quad LPs that people have converted and are able to be burned to DVD. Pink Floyd DSOTM although 1,000,000x over played has a whole new life in it's quad mix, it's amazingly different. It blew me away. Pink Floyd WYWH was also amazing.

The newly released 40th anniversary King Crimson 5.1/DTS sets are also great. The Genesis ones are cool too.

I would LOVE the Over-nite and Apostrophe (') quad mixes to be released officially in 5.1 or even 4.1 surround. I do have the Apostrophe quad LP converted and it's cool!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:06 pm 

I just finished listening to this Archie Shepp CD.
Compare the title track to the Thana Harris overdub sensations on Sleep Dirt. The similarities are quite eerie!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:00 pm 

stride wrote:
aM i TH ONLY 1 ??
I think your earlier point about Sofa was too subtle for most. Anyway, I like the vocal versions too but not exclusively, I listen to either from time to time.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:44 pm 

I don't like any of the vocals on Sleep Dirt. I like Lather.

jaypfunk wrote:
i've made a drastic 180 on the 5.1 DVD-A thing. I used to not care and Douchemonger's relentless babbling about it kinda turned me off to it but within the last couple of years I have really gotten into listen to a lot 5.1/surround sound mixed stuff. Quad mixes also. There are a shit load of 70's quad LPs that people have converted and are able to be burned to DVD. Pink Floyd DSOTM although 1,000,000x over played has a whole new life in it's quad mix, it's amazingly different. It blew me away. Pink Floyd WYWH was also amazing.

The newly released 40th anniversary King Crimson 5.1/DTS sets are also great. The Genesis ones are cool too.

I would LOVE the Over-nite and Apostrophe (') quad mixes to be released officially in 5.1 or even 4.1 surround. I do have the Apostrophe quad LP converted and it's cool!!

I'm more into the music than the audio quality of the music which seems to be your focus. I can appreciate a good performance even if it is not a great recording. 5.1 doesn't make me drool. King Crimson in 5.1 is a waste of my money. The quad mix of Dark Side Of The Moon is not that different from the original. Unless you are into placebos.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next