Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:09 pm 

I read an interview where Don was saying the same thing about Lonesome Electric Turkey.  This matter of Solos is an interesting and complicated matter, worthy of hours of discussion, but ultimately, if Frank had in their contracts that he owned every note played on his stage, then that's the end of that discussion here.  I wish we could see copies of Frank contracts.  Wouldn't that be the ultimate in Zappa research?????  I have a new fetish!<br>Ultimately though, I'm trying to figure out through these discussions what I feel is "fair" and "right" for my own music.  Of course paying extra for solos in conert would be totally silly, (and could result in everyone trying to edge in every extra minute they could!!!@@ a nightmare!)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:42 am 

I know, you didn't have to point that one out!!!!! Just saying Don had talked about that solo in the same way, but I agree, he is quoting it throughout.  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:22 am 

[quote author=Studebaker link=board=rant;num=1107368985;start=15#23 date=09/14/05 at 17:49:09]John Coltrane and Cannonball Adderley never got any writing credits or additional royalties for playing on Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue"...<br>[/quote]<br>Thanks for stating the reality here. "Kind of Blue" probably sold more than any single FZ recording and I'm sure Train and Cannonball only got paid for the session (or got paid a salary if Miles was paying them in salary). If you asked those guys before they died if they were pissed they didn't get royalties they'd probably laugh. It's not like having masterpiece solos on one of the top 5 jazz recordings of all time would hurt your career. <br><br>The same applies to any solo on a Frank Zappa record. Chances are good most of the people who have improvised solos on FZ's records still use that fact on their resume to this day. So they've probably gotten more work out of that alone than anything else they've done with their careers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:30 pm 

That's a very good point DK.   Still not convinced I would run it that way though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:03 pm 

dkaplowitz wrote:
Thanks for stating the reality here. "Kind of Blue" probably sold more than any single FZ recording and I'm sure Train and Cannonball only got paid for the session (or got paid a salary if Miles was paying them in salary)...

columbia records memo listing the union scale payments for one kind of blue session
[they only did 2 or 3 sessions for this album, 400 bucks per session]

Quote:
MILES DAVIS SESSION 4/22/59 - 3½ hrs. worth of playing time on 3 hr...

-one check was issued for $129.36 -- Miles has cashed this;
is equivalent to 3½ hr. payment
-one check was issued for $392.00 --- to be broken down as follows:

SAX:
J. ADDERLY --------  $64.67
J. COLTRANE -------   64.67

PIANO:
W. KELLY ------------  64.67
W. Evans -------------  64.67

BASS:
P. CHAMBERS -------  66.67 (cartage included)

DRUMS:
J. COBB --------------  66.67 (cartage included)

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:58 pm 

That's fucking bullshit.  The best selling jazz cd of all-time and they make 60 bucks each??"?? It's fucking pathetic, but then again, jazz has always been a music of starving artists.  Fuck.   And Mile's solos are the weakest on there in my opinion.  I listen to that cd for every other musician.  Wow, you have no idea how much that post depressed me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:32 pm 

Welcome to the music business!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:13 am 

Think about how much money the guys in suits made?????  my head hurts.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:01 am 

Are you implying you don't believe in capitilism????<br>(scoff)  Communist.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:47 pm 

Why don't you PAY something we all like.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:27 am 

that's what I meant to type!<br>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:45 pm 

Not to pile it on Miles (I love the hell out of his music and his impact), but I've heard that he put his name on "Blue in Green" even though Bill Evans wrote it.  Then again, if Miles hadn't taken it, it probably would've gone down the history drain.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:28 pm 

Holy Sequin gave a link to bognor regis that doesn't work, is it possible to get an update to that link?. The link was in response to a comment about Sugar Cane Harris's violin playing. I agree, I think SCH's violin playing was more in tune with Zappa's music than Ponty's. L Shankar's playing on Touch Me There is also worth mentioning. And of course if you like killer electric violin then Laurent Zeller's solo on Le Bocal's version of King Kong on their Memorial Barbeque withstands repeated listening.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:04 pm 

polydigm wrote:
Holy Sequin gave a link to bognor regis that doesn't work, is it possible to get an update to that link...

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:27 pm 

As my current rating says: Neophyte. My previous message referred to Holy Sequin which I now realise is a rating rather than a pseudonym. So, to clarify, I was replying to a post from slime.oofytv.set on Feb 3rd (or 2nd or 4th, I'm not quite sure how the plus 15 hours I put in cos I'm in OZ is being applied). Please forgive my incompetence (although I'm definitely not indifferent).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:26 pm 

May I ask what was the source of 'bognor regis'? It's relatively good quality and sounds familiar. Knowing the source might jog my memory as to where I originally heard it. BTW, thanks to slime.oofytv.set for feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:46 pm 

[quote author=polydigm link=board=rant;num=1107368985;start=45#45 date=10/11/05 at 23:26:19]May I ask what was the source of 'bognor regis' ...[/quote]<br><br>Image<br><br>squint squint

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:32 pm 

[quote author=8_Oz_Wings link=board=rant;num=1107368985;start=30#41 date=10/10/05 at 17:45:13]Not to pile it on Miles (I love the hell out of his music and his impact), but I've heard that he put his name on "Blue in Green" even though Bill Evans wrote it.  Then again, if Miles hadn't taken it, it probably would've gone down the history drain.[/quote]<br><br><br>Unfortunately, this is true. Bille Evans was the real composer. Miles only gives him a chord A7 13# and that's all.<br>In one of  the last Evans' recordings he mentioned "Blue in Green" as written by Evans and Davis.<br>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:31 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
squint squint
I squinted my butt off and it was worth it - thankyou. Possibly the bells that were ringing are from The Lost Episodes. I was going to say I find it incongruous that Bognor Regis would be the B Side for a Chunga's Revenge Sharleena rather than the Lost Episodes version which is unique - unless of course the aim really was commercial potential - but I just listened to the Lost Episodes version again and although it's pretty good it doesn't have the addictiveness (A-sidedness) of the Chunga's Revenge version.

By the way, on the 6th July 2013 Slime is going to claim he made an accurate prediction two years ago about the level of forum attendance that will occur on 5 Jun 2007. Time is really weird ...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:52 pm 

Hmm ... while we're talking about making predictions. How about the above post? Reminds me of Twelve Monkeys ...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next