Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I Must Have More Cowbell
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:42 pm 

Its in so many tunes. The little insturment that gets no respect and is what all the classy creatures of bovine persuasion wear. See how many you can name. I'll kick off the proceedings. <br><br>1. Don't Fear the Reaper- Blue Oyster Cult<br>2.Mississippi Queen- Mountain<br>3.Dance the Night Away- Van Halen<br>4.Low Rider- WAR<br><br><br>[center]ImageImage[/center]<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[move]"Ray White on guitar,cowbell & vocals." Nov. 19 '76 Detroit[/move] ;D ;D ;D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:00 pm 

The one that immediately springs to mind is All Right Now by Free... :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:29 pm 

how about broken hearts are for assholes.. <br><br><br>the ultimate cowbell solo...the beatles      i call your name

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:30 pm 

[move]"The cowbell as a symbol of unbridled passion ladies and gentlemen."[/move]<br><br>Image<br><br>The Be-Bop Tango ;D<br><br>Image Image Image Image  Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:42 pm 

[center]Image<br>COWBELL <br>was used prominently in the tracks:<br><br>You Broke My Heart So I Broke Your Face <br>and <br>Suck My Dick<br><br>;D[/center]<br>

yore barkin' up the wrong tree.
- Festus Haggen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:16 am 

Three Cowbell highlights that spring to mind are as follows -<br><br>Gimme Three Steps: Lynyrd Skynyrd<br><br>Fat Man in The Bathtub: Little Feat <br><br>Keep on Rotting in the Free World: Carcass<br><br>man do i love my music with a clonk! Someone should figure out The Black Page for cowbell :) That would be sweeeeet!!!! <br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:24 am 

Image<br><br>Today my cowbell hall of fame pick goes to Creedence Clearwater Revival and their tune "Down on the Corner." ;D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:39 am 

The Who - Slip Kid<br>Yes - The Fish<br>Yes - Perpetual Change (Yessongs version)<br>Yes - Parallels (GFTO Bonus track version)<br>Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart<br>Grand Funk - We're an American Band<br>The Doors - Ships with Sails (German TV performance post Jim Morrison era, 1972.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:48 pm 

bill graham sitting in with grateful dead on " that's it for the other one".....<br><br>i forget the date.<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:48 pm 

Image The J. Geils Band kicked off their 1977 album Monkey Island with the steady *[sub]thunk[/sub]*[sub]thunk[/sub]*[sub]thunk[/sub]*[sub]thunk[/sub] of Surrender. Great tune with Cissy Houston singing lead.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:02 am 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=rant;num=1112917364;start=0#14 date=04/09/05 at 07:18:46]Hair of the Dog - Nazareth<br><br>Image<br><br>... now yer messin' with a... a Sonofabitch!   :o  ;D[/quote]<br><br>So THAT'S who did that song! I've been wondering about that for years. ;D<br>

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:57 pm 

[quote author=Billy link=board=rant;num=1112917364;start=15#16 date=04/09/05 at 10:02:19]<br><br>So THAT'S who did that song! I've been wondering about that for years. ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br>Damn I totally forgot about Hair of the Dog. It must be one of the best examples of a cowbell in the rock & roll parthenon.<br><br>I have two more that came to mind today...<br><br>Image Oh Well by Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green era). Nice bell of the cow fills thanks to Mick Fleetwood.<br><br>Image The Minstril In the Gallery by Jethro Tull and the album of the same title. After the first 2 min or so of woodwinds and acoustic guitar, the cowbell jumps in to add more color. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:41 am 

Image<br><br>Ralph Humphrey--- King of Cowbells<br><br>Check the drum solo right before the "Cucamonga" section of Farther Oblivion on the Stockholm '73 video.<br>  <br> Also that great "Inca Roads" from the show UNICA posted a while back. (Edinboro College?)<br><br> I think Ralph majored in COWBELL in College!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:47 am 

BTW wasn't it Ralph who F'ed up in Cucamonga, Played thru one of the breaks or something, prompting Frank to make the band "go back and do it again"???<br><br><br><br>Also, not Ralph related, but I LOVE the cowbell in the calypso-esque solo section of "Village" from "Saarbrucken".  IKE??<br><br>      Rock On!!     -parkit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:13 pm 

<br>I'm most familiar with the Edinboro College rendition of Inca Roads. Powerfully good choice! Ralph is playing along with Chester Thompson in polyphonic cowbell euphoria.<br><br><br>Image My cowbell selection for today is from one half of Steely Dan, none other than Donald Fagen. His 1982 album The Nightfly has a track called New Frontierwhich was the single. It features a fake cowbell if you can belive it that runs through the length of the song. From a keyboard I suppose ::) oh well good tune nonetheless. ;D<br><br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:00 pm 

ha!  <br><br>one of the better cowbell threads on the net Image

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:10 pm 

[quote author=Milton_Bradley link=board=rant;num=1112917364;start=15#21 date=04/10/05 at 15:13:06]<br>I'm most familiar with the Edinboro College rendition of Inca Roads. Powerfully good choice! Ralph is playing along with Chester Thompson in polyphonic cowbell euphoria.<br><br><br>Image My cowbell selection for today is from one half of Steely Dan, none other than Donald Fagen. His 1982 album The Nightfly has a track called New Frontierwhich was the single. It features a fake cowbell if you can belive it that runs through the length of the song. From a keyboard I suppose ::) oh well good tune nonetheless. ;D<br><br><br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br><br>    EXCELLENT choice as well my friend! Remember the Video??? Haven't seen that one since back in the day... Every time I flip by VH1 Classic Videos channel I hope to catch it but so far no luck. Donald is a MUSICAL GENIUS (Walter too!)        -parkit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:14 pm 

Steely Dan are so underrated....amazing musicians.  8)