Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:58 pm 

[quote author=asparagus link=board=rant;num=1112917364;start=15#24 date=04/10/05 at 18:14:03]Steely Dan are so underrated....amazing musicians.  8)[/quote]<br>Hmm, a female who likes both Frank Zappa and Steely Dan. A rare breed indeed!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:05 pm 

Many moons ago, I had a girlfriend who was heavily into Steely Dan and it ended up amplifing my interist in them. The saavy lyrics are a total match for their sound musicianship. I suppose my only beef is that in concert, they never stretch out and deviate from the basic studio construction of their songs. From what I've experienced they've held on to the same cookie-cutter format. Still they put on an awesome concert; however they could use the occasional seat-of-the-pants solo or two. ;D<br><br>[center]Image[/center]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:41 pm 

[quote author=Milton_Bradley link=board=rant;num=1112917364;start=15#26 date=04/10/05 at 19:05:04] Still they put on an awesome concert; however they could use the occasional seat-of-the-pants solo or two. ;D[/quote]<br><br>   If you can find live stuff from '93/'94 with DREW ZINGG on guitar...   I saw them in '93 and was totally horrified by Mr. Zingg! I think Stefon Harris (vibes)and Chris Potter (sax) were in there too along with Warren Bernhart (Piano), those guys streched out and put on the best "pazz and jop" concert for me to date.<br>   Saw them in '96 and it wasn't quite the same... a little cookie cutter-ish so I know where you're coming from  ;D<br><br>    Asparagus, I think I love you ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D<br> <br>

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:16 pm 

Three from The Talking Heads.<br><br>ImageFrom their 1980 Remain In Light there is Crosseyed and Painless. A particular fave of mine. Do the words rollicking cowbell mean anything to you? I wonder if David Byrne used any cowbell in his solo work, anyone know? ;D<br><br>Image Then along came the live Stop Making Sense which features energized preformances not to mention Girlfriend Is Better. ;D<br><br>Image And finally, Naked with the cowbell grandstanding of Blind.Great horn section too! ;D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:42 pm 

Count me as another female Zappa/Steely Dan fan....hey, what other mainstream rock band derived their name from a dildo---taken from a William Burroughs book, yet! Come to the land of Steely Dan.....<br><br>                         Okay, I'm not sure this is correct, but was there a cowbell in the Lee Michaels song "You Know What I mean"? If there was, it seems it was used subtly. If it was'nt, well then it was used EXTREMELY subtly...<br>                           ::)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:20 am 

Another Steely Dan fan here, great band, although the choice for their name is sorta strange.<br><br>Here's my cowbell picks:<br><br>Rock 'n' Roll - Detroit (probably my favorite simple rock song)<br>Sweet Jane - Mott the Hoople<br><br>They demonstrated the right way to perform Lou Reed's music.<br><br>There's 2 more on this great Mott the Hoople album with cowbell other than Sweet Jane: Momma's Little Jewel and Sucker.<br><br>Image<br><br>(All The Young Dudes)<br><br>

They never won't

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:48 pm 

[center]Image<br><br>cowbell ?<br><br>ImageImage<br><br> "My band's got rhythm," Spike said once, "and to it we add a guffaw. We get along by not taking anything serious."<br><br>.. when all else fails, ..<br><br>~ Marimba ~<br>?<br><br>[img] %20 http://discosantigos.com/Early%20Sixties/1964_BajaMarimbaBand.jpg%20 %20 %20 %20 [/img][/center]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:09 am 

PINK FLOYD:  PIGS (three different ones),  Animals lp \m/ 8)\m/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:55 pm 

Wayfaring stranger  by  HP Lovecraft<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:35 am 

[quote author=wheatgurm link=board=rant;num=1112917364;start=30#32 date=04/19/05 at 11:09:46] PINK FLOYD:  PIGS (three different ones),  Animals lp \m/ 8)\m/[/quote]<br><br>One of my favourite albums ever...how did I forget that one!? ;D<br>

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:16 am 

Wow fond memories there. I think there was a lot of cowbell on the RazAmanaz album also. Man those were the cowbell days. NOOOO DOOOOOT ABOOOOT It Heh!<br>

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:10 am 

"Knife Edge" - ELP<br>"Grazing in the Grass" - Hugh Masekela

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:27 am 

Check out Motley Crues Too Fast For Love album, cowbells all over that!!! And, come to think of it, most of their repertoire!!......

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:00 am 

Jeremy Bender is another ELP song with nice use of the cowbell.

They never won't

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:35 pm 

[quote author=Hel-von-Groover link=board=rant;num=1112917364;start=30#35 date=04/20/05 at 07:07:29]FAO: Milton_Bradley. With regards to cowbell infusion by Messr. Byrne. He did a solo album: The Catherine Wheel (choreography: Twyla Tharp). You can hear more cowbells on the track "Leg Bells" than you could shake a stick at!! A fantastic album to boot.....njoi!![/quote]<br><br> Hey Hel-Von-Groover: Thanks for the cowbell update on the solo works of David Byrne. Even while he was with the Talking Heads he utilized the afro-cuban drum style; so it would make sense that he'd do the same in his solo work.  I'm gonna have to delve deeper into his post Heads work. <br><br>Think I'll take all the suggestions on this thread and make my ultimate cowbell album. <br><br>Incidently, I wonder if AC/DC could be talked into re-recording some of their classics but with a cowbell theme. Hell's Cowbells? or Big Bells?Maybe even  Whole Lotta Cowbell.<br><br>In a perfect world only I'm afraid. ;D<br><br>[center]Image[/center]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:15 am 

Asia - Heat of the Moment<br><br>It's an okay song for being released as a single in 82.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:20 am 

Image<br><br>"She's A Lady" by Sir Tom Of Jones...hahahahaha!<br><br>I actually like that song...roflmao....seriously!  ;D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:31 pm 

Hahaha that made me laugh MTF....he is aint he....what a fuckstick.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:27 am 

Haven't seen this one mentioned yet<br><br>Little Sister-QOTSA<br><br>Image<br><br>lotsa cowbellage<br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:17 am 

Listen to the song "Dance The Night Away" by Van Halen.....<br><br>That has ALOT of Cowbell in it<br><br> ;D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next