Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lakshi's Delite
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:32 am 

and the track tile has a FZ connetion, also...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:57 pm 

Isn't anybody gonna ask to some umrk soundguy or synctech what they know about it?  ::)<br>Jaypfunk has played with Dwzeeil or something...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:25 am 

Yes, any answer will do.  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:46 am 

Well I've heard it again and I think we can find very characteristic traces of Zappa music (or at least heavy influence):<br><br>- In the INTRO: it begins with an accordeon and quickly a bass clarinet sound joins in, then the half piano/keyboard couterpoint that comes on about 15 secs has a very Zappaesque quality, and more about the way it finnishes.<br><br>-Then the second theme commes in. It has a very cool break in 1:08 min.<br><br>The percursion on the track is Indian, it mixes eastern and wester music. Then the events before and at 2:08 min are very Zappa to my ears...<br><br>ARF ;D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:12 am 

Is that your opinion or is it a fact? ::)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:47 am 

Well! Then I give this mystery as dismissed... :D<br><br>And I have msitaken myself badly in the Inca Roads-We Are Not Alone thread, in the Randamonium section...<br><br>Thanks Jimmie, Lumpy...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:38 am 

Maybe he is the Vaultmaister ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:39 pm 

[font=arial]Dug this thread up as I've only just found this track. Am sort of not sure what to think - is it an early FZ synclavier piece cos it's not a mega-multi-layered piece (and as MTF states his latter work was very condensed) or is it a fake? As there's been no official answer - or does Jimmie's end the discussion dead (even though it only says "fake" with 2 boxes with X in 'em ) I'm still in two minds. I'd love to think it was genuine...<br>Alas me, myself and Irene still think it's a nice piece of music.[/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:54 pm 
Banned

So, has anyone found out what exactly this track is, or where it came from?

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Mon May 29, 2006 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:53 am 

I am still kind of curious for more information on this. Hey Jimmie, do you say it is a fake based on your ears or any other source?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:57 pm 

I know this probably doesn't really help with the authenticity issue, but Lakshmi is the name of a Hindu god. L. Shankar's first name is actually Lakshminarayana, which shows up again, weirdly, on the "Baby Snakes" DVD, when the "director" of the agency that wrote the "secret files" on the intro sequence signs his/her/its name "Lakshminarayana Storch."

And hurt myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:42 am 

Since the internet has improved in the last few years, I think I can throw some little thing to help on solving this matter.

IS THIS FRANK ZAPPA OR NOT:

http://rapidshare.com/files/24508280/Lakshmi_Delite.mp3.html

Disclaimer: "Fair use" file for zappacademical discussion only. Please, delete the file after you have listened and studied it :wink:

Last edited by Mr_Green_Genes on Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:54 am 

Doesn't sound like him. But I see your points about similarities (at least here and there). I just think it is too simplistic to be Frank. Also the ending is not very much in usual Zappa style (to much "ta-daaa", and it doesn't sound tongue in cheek).

But it could be fun to be surprised.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:57 am 

I think it could be an early synclavier track. Some of the sounds/patches (whatever you call them) look like things on JFH and FZMTMOP.

EDIT: Unfortunately many contributions and input from other members were deleted one year ago in the crash/transition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:56 pm 

It's really hard to say without more information. My initial reaction is that it's probably not by FZ. But if it was quite early and not anywhere near completion, then I could maybe see it being by him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:10 pm 

It sounds to me like some experimentation he might have done around the time of producing Francesco Zappa. If he was immersed in that music for a period of time he may have been affected by it to some degree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:03 am 

It could be FZ, as some of you already said, maybe an early synclavier work. After a few seconds there are some phrases that sound very similar to the bassline of "A Pound For A Brown".
But you're right, it also could be 1) a fake or 2) just a song not by FZ, but someone else (and so indeed no fake, but also no FZ tune...)

Maybe we'll never know. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:45 am 

Definitely not FZ. Listen closely, those are not synclavier samples we've heard on any other recordings and the mixing is totally wrong. (it was a pure digital process -- why would it be mixed so poorly behind the obviously analog accordion?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:41 am 

Morbo wrote:
Definitely not FZ. Listen closely, those are not synclavier samples we've heard on any other recordings and the mixing is totally wrong. (it was a pure digital process -- why would it be mixed so poorly behind the obviously analog accordion?)

Yeah I think you're right. The mixing is really shit, absolutely not typical for FZ. And the ending of the song is also not the kind of FZ-ending. So after a few listenings I'd also say: not FZ.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next