Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:33 pm 

Legend has it that Frank came out on stage with Pink Floyd in 1969, somewhere in Canada I believe, and joined them for a heavy version of INTERSTELLAR OVERDRIVE.<br><br>In all of my years of buying up every sound that both groups have ever uttered, I still haven't unearthed this treasure. I'm dehydrated from drooling all of these years. Can anyone buy me a drink?  WHERE IS IT!!!!!?????

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:05 pm 

[sub]Image[/sub]from nik lowenberg:FZ & PF jammed on Interstellar Overdrive on 10/25/69 at the Actuel Festival in Belgium.  Last I heard a private collector had the film of it but wouldn't release it....it is highly probable that the jam was filmed<br><br>from johan lif: an interview with PF drummer Nick Mason mentions this Amougies jam with Zappa; I remember him saying something to the effect that "very few people have the right personality to play with us", but what Zappa did was "terribly right".<br><br>[center]Image[/center][center][sup]frank slummin' with the pink floyd[/sup][/center]<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:24 pm 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=wishList;num=1063164797;start=0#2 date=09/09/03 at 21:05:13][img width=388 height=268] http://www.uoregon.edu/~splat/FZ_with_Pink_Floyd.jpg[/img][/quote]<br>Possibly the coolest photo I've seen all year. That is a combination I never would have thought of. My mind is blown again.<br><br>Now throw in Jimi Hendrix and Keith Emerson and slowly bring to a boil....<br><br>Well, like an ex-girlfriend once told me, "Dreams are free" ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:44 pm 

[quote author=swiftkicknow link=board=wishList;num=1063164797;start=0#3 date=09/09/03 at 22:24:23]....Now throw in Jimi Hendrix and Keith Emerson and slowly bring to a boil....<br>Well, like an ex-girlfriend once told me, "Dreams are free" ;)[/quote]time to cash-in, bro...is that emerson, lower right, or roger waters? but, no frank  :P<br><br>[center]Image[/center][center]...three weeks, dec/67, aboard a fleet of buses which combed the <br>roads, leaving no major town unturned, Jimi Hendrix Experience, <br>The Move, Amen Corner, The Pink Floyd, The Nice,The Limits, <br>& Eire Apparent set out to bring a taste of london to the provinces[/center]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:10 pm 

Wow...wow...wow...<br><br>Instant Background for my computer! There has got to be a way to research the location of that film, or at least an audio recording of it. That is a major musical convergence of mammoth proportions that deserves to be in the hands of the fans! There are SO MANY FZ & PF bootlegs from that period, I find it a hard pill to swallow that this historic moment lies only in the hands of a music miser. <br><br>On my LISTEN cd, the album closes with the sole cover tune: Interstellar Overdrive (12' 00"). I hope that proves my obsession dedication, and lends weight to the motivation determination I have to aurally injest this thermonuclear performance. #1 ON THE MOST WANTED LIST NAILED TO THE SUPPORT BEAMS IN MY MIND!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:29 pm 

I did some quick research, and according to the official 'Miles' Pink Floyd book, PF played the Paris Festival on 10/25/69. It says the Floyd were on a European Tour between September and October. I have an EXCELLENT boot of PF Live in Amsterdam on 9/17/69, so I'd bet that the FZ/PF show was likely around this date, probably within 10 days.<br><br>Just to state for those interested, David Gilmour was playing guitar with PF at that time, not Syd Barrett. Deep Purple had just done their Concerto For Group and Orchestra right around that week, too<br><br>UMMAGUMMA's official release date was 10/25/69.<br>

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:56 pm 

The Floyd/Zappa photo is something really exciting...<br>Thanks guys! Thanks to this forum!<br><br>ciao

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:23 pm 

i absolutely love that picture i knew floyd had played with zappa but i'd never seen or heard of any pictures or film footage...now that would be something. I know syd barrett was a  fan of zappa but obviously he was gone by this time

Solipsism Twitter
Solipsism Shitface

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:57 am 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=wishList;num=1063164797;start=0#4 date=09/09/03 at 22:44:55]<br>time to cash-in, bro...is that emerson, lower right, or roger waters? but, no frank  :P<br><br>[center]Image[/center][center]...three weeks, dec/67, aboard a fleet of buses which combed the <br>roads, leaving no major town unturned, Jimi Hendrix Experience, <br>The Move, Amen Corner, The Pink Floyd, The Nice,The Limits, <br>& Eire Apparent set out to bring a taste of london to the provinces[/center][/quote]<br>[center]:oWhoa!!<br><br>Image[/center]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:13 am 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=wishList;num=1063164797;start=0#5 date=09/09/03 at 23:05:18]<br>That's Waters. The Nice are in the front, to the left of Hendrix. I think Emerson is the wimpy-looking guy at the far left of the picture.<br><br>Here's a better picture of The Nice (with Emerson looking rather Jeff-Beckish):<br>Image[/quote]<br><br>Yep, that's definitely Roger in front, with Syd and Richard lined up behind him.<br><br>This photo of The Nice is the earliest Emerson photo I've ever seen. He DOES have the Jeff Beck hairdo happening! ;D He looks even more like Nigel Tuffnel. ;)<br><br>I had heard that Emerson's extroverted stage antics were inspired by Hendrix, but didn't know (or forgot) that they ever toured together. <br><br>I loved when Emerson would shove a dagger between two keys to get a pedal tone going, then whip around and play the organ from behind, drag it across the stage with the reverb crashing, and pull it down on top of himself at the edge of the stage playing upside down and backwards and it STILL sounded skillful and great. Like Vai said, there must have been something in the water in England during that time period to have created SO MANY incredible musicians and so much great music.<br>[hr]<br>P.S. I took a peek around the web, and just found that Emerson's autobiography is FINALLY out. Here's an excerpt (it's a pretty funny story, too):<br>http://www.keithemerson.com/Books/Autobiography/autobio.html<br>Image

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:48 am 

[quote author=TheCentralScrutinizer link=board=wishList;num=1063164797;start=0#11 date=09/10/03 at 01:23:56]... I know syd barrett was a  fan of zappa but obviously he was gone by this time[/quote]<br>from the Syd Barrett's Musical Influences page: Freak Out!...Barrett cited this album in an interview, stating that he had 'taken quite a lot' from this band as well as the Byrds and Fugs<br><br><br>[quote author=swiftkicknow link=board=wishList;num=1063164797;start=0#13 date=09/10/03 at 12:13:23]...I loved when Emerson would shove a dagger between two keys to get a pedal tone going, then whip around and play the organ from behind, drag it across the stage with the reverb crashing, and pull it down on top of himself at the edge of the stage playing upside down and backwards and it STILL sounded skillful and great.[/quote]<br> i saw him do this in toronto, where they set up a real quadrophonic sound system in the 4 corners of maple leaf gardens, mind-blowing sound effects, but maybe the lsd helped ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:24 am 

Courtesy of "Brain Damage" Floyd website<br><br>Excerpts from NICK MASON INTERVIEW,March 1973, French interviewer, exact source unknown.<br>The following interview was done at the end of March 1973, shortly after Nick Mason returned from his 8th American tour.<br><br>..........................................................................................<br><br>Q: The five of you played for some time together?<br><br>Nick Mason: During a month, the five of us rehearsed together. There's no doubt that was what we wanted. Our idea was to adopt the Beach Boys formula, in which Brian Wilson got together with the band on stage when he wanted to. We absolutely wanted to preserve Syd in Pink Floyd one way or the other. But he let himself be influenced by some people, who kept repeating he was the only talent in the band and should pursue a solo career.<br><br>Q: Was Syd present at the recording of Saucerful of Secrets? <br><br>Nick Mason: No, the song Jugband Blues had been recorded before, between The Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Saucerful of Secrets. <br><br>Q: How was David Gilmour recruited? Was he a friend of Roger Waters? <br><br>Nick Mason: We already knew him for a long time since he was a friend of Syd. What happened exactly was that we all agreed to change the way the band was working, which wasn't that good. In fact, even Syd was aware of the Pink Floyd situation. We needed to get another musician and all agreed to choose David, who could sing and play guitar. <br><br>..........................................................................................<br><br>Q: Are you interested in playing with other musicians?<br><br>Nick Mason: Just for fun. If you take the Pink Floyd career in a perspective, it's not likely. <br><br>Q: But, nevertheless, you played with Frank Zappa in the Amougies festival. <br><br>Nick Mason: Frank Zappa is really one of those rare musicians that can play with us. The little he did in Amougies was terribly correct. But he's the exception. Our music and the way we behave on stage, makes it very hard to improvise with us. <br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:09 pm 

Image<br><br>That's a really interesting photo, WP. <br><br>It reeks of symbolism to me -- Syd's hollow-eyed face popping in above Roger's shoulder one last time before he's gone. Looking into their faces I pick up feelings of determination, courage, uneasiness, loyalty, sadness, alienation, etc. There's a lot going on here.<br><br>This is a great example of how a photo is worth a thousand words. This is a really remarkable representation of what I've read about that time in the band's history. Really excellent photo. I've never seen this one before.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:43 am 

[quote author=swiftkicknow link=board=wishList;num=1063164797;start=0#3 date=09/09/03 at 22:24:23]<br>Now throw in Jimi Hendrix and Keith Emerson and slowly bring to a boil....<br>size][/quote]<br><br>Yeah. Scheduled for some time around Hendrix's death was the first Jam of H.E.L.P. Hendrix Emerson Lake & Palmer. <br><br>They met in the Isle of Wight Festival, I think<br><br>ARF

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:49 am 

Whooooooo<br><br>Could <br><br>Imagine<br><br>It............ <br>:o

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 6:29 am 

Holy fuckin shit! ;D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:58 pm 

I recently won (on eBay) a concert contract signed by Syd Barrett a week before they recorded 'Arnold Layne'. (Jan. 11, 1967)  It was for the Leicester College show on 2/10/67.                      Image<br><br>Syd's signatures are pretty damn rare...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:19 pm 

glory days, huh?<br>I feel the PF and Zappa were closely together, musically, in those days. Take Ummagumma, comparing that album to the Mothers, the latter even sound more "pop like"...<br>Ye, like to see or hear that event, too!!!