Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:16 pm 

caution: 28.5 meg mp3 file dL's in about 6 minutes at 75kb/s.....fillmore w, 29-apr-70<br><br>[center]interstellar overdrive[sub]Image[/sub][/center]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:44 pm 

This is the most recent info:<br><br>Music Power<br>Actuel Festival, October 25th, 1969<br>Mont de I'Enclus in Amougies, Belgium<br>filmed by Jerome Laperrousaz<br><br><br><br>     From: Mikael Agardsson (mikael.agardsson[at]swipnet.se)<br>     From the book "Viva Zappa" by Dominique Chevalier:<br>"1969. MUSIC POWER. A film by Jerome Laperrousaz, showing the festival<br>at Amougies, October 1969. Zappa, the presenter, jams with Pink Floyd,<br>Aynsley Dunbar and Archie Shepp".<br><br>     From: Cle4d (cle4d[at]aol.com)<br>Capt Beefheart was there. FZ introduces him to the crowd.<br><br>     From: Patrick Neve (splat[at]darkwing.uoregon.edu)<br>Some of this Beefheart footage is inlcuded as enhanced video on the new<br>Beefheart box set Grow Fins, on Revenant Records.<br><br>     From: Nik Lowenberg (Lowenberg-DeBoer[at]worldnet.att.net)<br>FZ and PF jammed on Interstellar Overdrive on 10/25/69 at the Actuel<br>Festival in Belgium.  Last I heard a private collector had the film of it<br>but wouldn't release it.  I think the audio is out there...has anyone heard<br>it?   <br><br>There was no show on 11/17/69.  10/25/69 is the correct date.  The Actuel<br>Festival was held at Mont de I'Enclus in Amougies, Belgium.  It was going<br>to be the first ever rock festival in France, but the promoters couldn't<br>get a licence, so they tried another place in France and then finally ended<br>up in Belgium.<br><br>Um...yeah, there is a film.  Two documentaries were made of the festival<br>and one called Music Power featured Pink Floyd and it went on the French<br>cinema circiut in June '70.  It is highly probable that the jam was filmed<br>as it was played in the middle of the set (as opposed to an encore or at<br>a different time all together).  Now, I haven't seen the film and the jam<br>may not be in it.  It could be on the editing room's floor. But I read<br>somewhere else that a private collector had it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:42 am 

What a find. I must hear this.<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:13 am 

here we go again! the old did he, or didn't he debate...<br>i don't know what to think... does the pic lie?? does nick mason lie?? DOES FRANK LIE????<br>We have a pic of FZ with Floyd and Nick Mason's account but FZ claims he NEVER jammed with them.<br>WHAT THE FUCK!! <br> <br>Below is an MP3 of a Society Pages Interview with FZ from 12-22-1989 explaining the whole festival. <br> <br>MP3: <br>http://jaypfunk.home.comcast.net/fzpf.mp3 <br> <br>Here are some things I can come up with: <br> <br>1- FZ really forgot about jamming with them. <br> <br>2 - The pic is a fake. <br> <br>3 - Nick Mason did too much acid and "thinks" they jammed with FZ. hahahahaha <br> <br>Do pictures lie? I guess we will never know unless that film footage sees the light of day! <br>(what is it with these assholes that sit on shit like that?) <br> <br> <br>Nick Mason Interview: <br>Q: You played with Frank Zappa in the Amougies festival?   <br>  <br>Nick Mason: Frank Zappa is really one of those rare musicians that can play with us. The little he did in Amougies was terribly correct. But he's the exception. Our music and the way we behave on stage, makes it very hard to improvise with us.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:02 am 

This topic was allready on another thread. So here we go again :-/<br><br>see:  http://www.zappa.com/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=legends;action=display;num=1072218376<br><br>My reply on that was:<br><br>Kevin Courrier in his book "The Dangerous Kitchen " writes: <br> <br>After Hot Rats came out, Zappa served as a road manager for captain Beefheart & His Magic Band at the Amougies Pop Festival in the fall of 1969. The 3 day festival featured a wide variety of artits including Soft Machine, Archie Shepp, Terry Riley, the Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation and Pink Floyd (who Zappa would jam with on their guitardriven "Interstellar Overdrive".) Footage from Captain Beefheart's devistating version of "My human gets me blues" appears on the boxed set Grow Fins.( you can see Zappa standing at the side of the stage watching this performance.) <br> <br><br>Greg Russo writes in his book "Cosmik Debris: <br> <br>Meanwhile Zappa took Captain Beefheart with him on a trip to Belgium where he played with Pink Floyd (on their fan favourite "Interstellar Overdrive"and others at the festival d'Amougies. A film of the Belgian concert "MUSIC POWER" was filmed but not released. <br> <br><br> :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:42 am 

As I type this I am listening to The Soft Machine's performance at the festival (the songs Moon In June and Eammon Andrews) that is included on the new 3-cd SM set available at the Laughing Madcaps website. It is a hissy soundboard recording, but more than listenable.<br><br>Captain Beefheart's performance is available from Music Power.<br><br>We are very close to unearthing this performance. As a devout lifelong Floyd & Zappa fanatic, this performance is the Holy Grail to me.<br><br>Dissenting viewpoints aside, I will not waver. And you can bet your ass I'll share my copy WHEN it becomes available.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:33 pm 

Batchman<br><br>My finger is clean<br>Up my ass it's not<br>Not so much for pleasentries<br>But for fear of being caught<br><br>I understand that film degrades<br>And iron oxidizes<br>But restoration technology<br>Is loaded with surprises<br><br>Stranger films have surfaced<br>After years of being lost<br>The Passion of Joan of Arc<br>and 1926's Faust<br><br>Sometimes if a voice is raised<br>Even 'gainst impossible odds<br>A phoenix rises from the ash<br>And the God of Music nods<br><br>I'm fully aware the void is there<br>That sucks up tapes and stocks<br>But don't dash my hopes 100%<br>Or you'll end up sucking cocks<br><br>;-}

Post subject: Wouldn't think of it!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:54 pm 

Wholly extemporized and custom grilled for your dining experience! No mean spirit intended, just having some fun typing and attempting to relay my hungry quest to injest a ZappaFloydInterstellar steak....again and again and again, at my fingertips for life.<br><br>That little icon under my name to the left there is the cover to a cd I released on 12/21/99 called LISTEN. The cover art is by Bruce Bickford, and the sole cover tune that closes the album is, you are guessing it:<br><br><br>Interstellar Overdrive! (11'59")<br><br><br>So there's a ZappaFloydInterstellar appetizer ... I WANT THE FULL MEAL SQUEAL ... NOWWWWW BABY!!!<br><br>[url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004TLNQ/qid=1079164651/sr=1-15/ref=sr_1_15/104-1180503-6777518?v=glance&s=music#product-details/[url]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:11 am 

I used to have a band in highschool who used to jam all over Inserstellar incessantly.    I was always shocked when ANYONE recognized it.    Also, I remember Camper Van Beethoven doing  a version of it.<br><br><br>This song has been covered.<br>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:38 pm 

The best version of "Interstellar Overdrive" besides the original was done by the Melvins on the "Electroretard" CD, originally a b-side from their Atlantic era '96. It's amazing, and if someone told you it was a lost Pink Floyd alternate version, you'd probably believe it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:29 pm 

I like The Melvins' version, as it is a note-for-note remake of the PATGOD recording. That must have taken some work...but then again, it kind of misses the point of the song, in that IO is all about improvisation contained between the opening/closing riff. When we did our version, it was true to the philosophy: "Between the motifs, the right brain reigns".  The Melvins were left-brained in their approach, a tad out of character for them...but valuable in showcasing their verstility.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:25 pm 

I've recently got this so-called FZ/PF "Interstellar Overdrive" jam from Amougies and have to say it is a really piss-poor recording. <br><br>PS. This is my 1000th post - do I get a rosette?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:10 pm 

[quote author=ListenMan link=board=wishList;num=1063164797;start=0#8 date=09/09/03 at 23:29:00]I did some quick research, and according to the official 'Miles' Pink Floyd book, PF played the Paris Festival on 10/25/69. It says the Floyd were on a European Tour between September and October. I have an EXCELLENT boot of PF Live in Amsterdam on 9/17/69, so I'd bet that the FZ/PF show was likely around this date, probably within 10 days.<br><br>Just to state for those interested, David Gilmour was playing guitar with PF at that time, not Syd Barrett. Deep Purple had just done their Concerto For Group and Orchestra right around that week, too<br><br>UMMAGUMMA's official release date was 10/25/69.<br>[/quote]<br>Can you send me one copy of this boot from Amsterdam?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next