Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Tinseltown Rebellion
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:37 am 

What can I say about this album? It has Vinnie Colaiuta! It is a great album with great songs and solos, though I skip, most of the time the audience participation stuff.<br>I also love very much the Pick me I'm Clean song. Great song, good humor lyrics and great performance...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:56 pm 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=albums;num=1036354009;start=0#5 date=11/04/02 at 13:53:03]<br>And the cover art on that album is simply magnificent. It's worth finding an LP copy of TR even if you don't have a record player, because much of the detail of the cover was obliterated when it was squished down to jewel-box size.<br>[/quote]Yeah,One of the things I miss about the old days.Cover art..I'm fortunate to have the bulk of the catalog on LP.<br>Everything from before Broadway The Hard Way- With the exceptions of YCDTOSA 1 and 2.<br><br>You just can't do covers like Tinsel Town Rebellion,The Grand Wazoo,Over-Nite Sensation, ect. on CDs.<br><br>I could spend Hours learning every detail about the One Size Fits All cover. Now I need a magnifying glass just to read the song titles<br>~<br>But yeah, what a great record...Whata bout that Blue Light,that's a killer tune. One of my favorite Peaches. Tell Me You Love Me.<br>I should listen to it again, someday soon.<br>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 3:03 pm 

[quote author=MrBickford link=board=albums;num=1036354009;start=0#0 date=11/03/02 at 12:06:48]Just reminiscing after a previous listen...<br><br>This is a great disc. Many excellent tunes and new renditions of older classics. Highlights for me included, Easy Meat (epic track), Tinseltown Rebellion (1 of his best 80's tunes), For The Young Sophisticate (catchy chorus), The Dance Contest & Panty Rap (hilarious on stage humour and comments)...and on the rendition side, I Ain't Got No Heart, Tell Me You Love Me, Peaches En Regalia (interesting deranged version) and the amazing Brown Shoes Don't Make It (personally my fav rendition of the tune ever made). It's got it all and would be an excellent introductory disc for new comers since it highlights many Zappa musical trademarks.  :D<br><br>What's your feelings on this one? Generally good or... [/quote]<br><br>I concur this is a great one.  For some reason my close friends who love several FZ albums never got into Tinsel - probably too few guitar solos, I dunno.  The humor is outrageous, and I agree Brown Shoes is a stellar and vital rendition, and the way it closes on Peaches is exciting.  Let's hear it for Another Great Italian!!<br><br>This period in general is probably my fave for FZ, starting with Sheik, then Joe's, Tinsel, Shut Up, You Are.  All that in, like, 3 years?  Gawd, I see Gawd!<br><br>BF

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:27 pm 

I remember the first few times I listened to it, thinking Frank was giving us a look back ,as he prepared us for the future.<br><br>The music was going to keep changing and progressing.<br>Turning Point, that's what I'm trying to say..<br><br>Tinsel Town Rebellion was a turning point. <br><br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 12:16 pm 

[center]Image[/center]<br><br>Check out the pictures of the infamous Quilt here <br><br> ;D