Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:42 am 

in no order of preference<br><br>pink floyd<br>neil young<br>boards of canada<br>bogdan raczynski<br>Squarepusher<br>Gustav Mahler<br>Ozric Tentacles<br>Gong<br>King Crimson<br>Miles Davis<br>LFO<br>Spirit<br>Velvet Underground<br>The Beach Boys<br>Portishead<br>Captain Beefheart<br>David Bowie from 69- to around 78<br>Curtis Mayfield<br>Future Sounds Of London<br>Funkadelic<br>Underground Resistance<br>Venetian Snares<br>Frog Pocket<br>Brian Eno<br>Biosphere<br>Royksopp<br>Van Der Graaf Generator<br>AMM<br>Analogue Fingerprints<br>Luke Vibert (Wagon Christ)<br>Architecture in Helsinki<br>Autechre<br>Bochum Welt<br>Gescom<br>Radiohead<br>Tangerine Dream(not 80s or 90s)<br>Kraftwerk<br>Klaus Schulze (not 80s)<br>1200 micrograms<br>Nightmares on Wax<br>Marcia Blaine School For Girls<br>Brain Entertainment Laboratory<br>ELP<br>Yes<br>Madness<br>Stockhausen<br>Led Zeppelin (sorry stuie)<br>Reverbaphon<br>Aphex Twin<br>The Beatles (some)<br>Marky Mark & The Funky Bunch<br><br>that's all i can remember off the top of my head and i need to roll a joint so that'll do me for now.<br>

Solipsism Twitter
Solipsism Shitface

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:04 am 

Warren Zevon<br>Capt Beefheart<br>Mick Taylor<br>Buddy Guy<br>King Crimson<br>Kirsty MacColl<br>Roy Buchanan<br>Midnight Oil<br>Blind Boys of Alabama<br>Miles Davis<br>Talking Heads<br>Radiohead<br>Tim Buckley<br>Ry Cooder<br>Lou Reed<br>Little Feat<br>Johnny Jenkins<br>John Cale<br>INXS<br>Ian Dury<br>Free<br>Hunters & Collectors<br>Allman Bros<br>Angelique Kidjo<br>Cruel Sea<br>Dr Feelgood<br>Flying Burrito Bros<br>Neil Young<br><br>..............stuff like that

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:13 am 

Let's see...<br><br>Captain Beefheart, Gary Wilson, The Fall, Steely Dan, Pavement, The Flaming Lips, Devo, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, The Pixies, The Clash, Velvet Underground (specifically White Light/White Heat), David Bowie, G.U.M., Iggy Pop, James Brown, Curtis Mayfield, Ornette Coleman, Herbie Hancock, Miles Davis, Sun Ra, and the list goes on.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:16 pm 

[quote author=Pigs have beards link=board=zappaning;num=1048380203;start=165#177 date=05/12/05 at 04:27:00]<br>You like The coral too??!!! :o They were the first ones to get me into good music![/quote]<br>
Quote:
Why so surprised? They're brilliant!
<br>Yeah I like them...I like "Dreaming Of You", that was the first one I heard. <br>They used to have the rehearsal room above my ex's band in Liverpool.. ;D Think they're still there actually. 8)<br>

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 5:25 pm 

Here are a few names. Some are listed multiple times. Some of these people (toward the bottom of the list particularly; notes for myself)I haven't even HEARD yet, but I'll just leave them here tentatively...<br><br>Frank Zappa<br>Igor Stravinsky<br>Mike Keneally<br>Edgard Varese<br>Maurice Ravel<br>Bill Champlin (Sons of Champlin)<br>Walter Becker & Donald Fagen<br>Bela Bartok<br>Charles Mingus<br>Frank Zappa<br>Sons of Champlin/Bill Champlin<br>Steely Dan<br>The Band<br>Mike Keneally<br>Little Feat<br>Telepathy<br>Estradasphere<br>Radiohead<br>Frank Zappa<br>Carla Bley<br>Archie Shepp<br>Charles Mingus<br>Oregon<br>Miles Davis<br>Frank Zappa<br>Bela Bartok<br>Igor Stravinsky<br>Maurice Ravel<br>Edgard Varese<br>Patrick O'Hearn<br>George Duke<br>Charles Mingus<br>Mike Keneally<br>L. Shankar<br>Jean-Luc Ponty<br>Don 'Sugar Cane' Harris<br>Frank Zappa<br>Mike Keneally<br>Wayne Krantz<br>Bill Frisell<br>Michael Hedges<br>Leo Kottke<br>Vinnie Colaiuta<br>Terry Bozzio<br>Jerry Garcia<br>David Grisman<br>Leo Kottke<br>Michael Hedges<br>Frank Zappa<br>Steely Dan<br>Mike Keneally<br>Gong<br>Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band<br>Tom Waits<br>Bob Dylan<br>Van Morisson<br>The Band<br>Mike Keneally<br>George Duke <br>Ruth Underwood <br>Ian Underwood<br>Vinnie Colaiuta<br>Steve Vai<br>Don Preston<br>Scott Amendola<br>Palace of Love<br>Fareed Haque<br>Jazz Mandolin Project<br>Parliament / Funkadelic<br>The Police<br>The Turtles<br>Derek and the Dominos<br>Dan Hicks<br>Medeski Martin and Wood<br>Charlie Hunter<br>Wild Man Fischer<br>George Harrison<br>Ras Michael (roots/reggae)<br>The Charlatans (1960s band, not Charlatans UK)<br>Bela Fleck<br>Dr. John<br>Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown<br>Johnny 'Guitar' Watson<br>Grateful Dead<br>Nels Cline<br>Chris Cutler<br>Gong<br>The Mistakes<br>Henry Cow<br>Chris Opperman<br>Missing Persons<br>Henry Threadgill<br>Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey<br>Diga Rhythm Band<br>Jaki Byard<br>Cecil Taylor<br>Rahsaan Roland Kirk<br>Bill Laswell<br>The Fugs<br>The Residents<br>Kronos Quartet<br>Ennio Morricone<br>Charles Ives<br>Astrograss<br>Penderecki<br>Toru Takemitsu<br>Anton Webern<br>Pierre Boulez<br>Can<br>Terje Rypdal<br>Yo Miles!<br>Eleven<br>Big Leg Emma<br>Julius Hemphill<br>Muhal Richard Abrams<br>Thelonious Monk<br>Rahsaan Roland Kirk<br>Jerseyband<br>Guillermo Brown<br>Secret Chiefs 3<br>Pat Metheny<br>Adrian Belew<br>John Trubee<br>Ant-Bee<br>Ronald Shannon Jackson & The Decoding Society<br>George Russell<br>Pat Metheny<br>Cannonball Adderly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:52 pm 

So, what's all this hoo-ha about Acid Mothers Temple. Lots of their titles sound like Frank titles. Any comments?<br>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:51 am 

hmm Zappa fucked me all up. I cant STAND any other type of music now. ALL top 40 is crap I hate EVERYTHING I hear on the raideo I hate pretty much everything I use to listen to before Frank. There are a few good old classics I still love.  Syd Barrett is my second fav. I still respect the early Yes years, been sometime since I even heard any of that stuff but I do respect them as musicians. I do like classic grind music as well. i.e Napalm Death, Carcass, Bolt Thrower and a few others, but in general I HATE EVERYTHING. I hate the blues, so redundant it kills me. Fuckin whinny baby ass shit singing about lost love.. blaaah!! Only Zappa has the style of blues I like. I DO LOVE JAZZ. Jazz to me is the BEST. Even before I listen to Frank I liked Jazz very few singing just alot of jammin, as a drummer of almost 27 years that music is the funnest for me to play. Love to play jazz. Other than that I just exclusivly listen to JUST Frank. One could say that its being closed minded, I just call it taste. Iv only been listning to Zappa for 15 years now ( and yea I still do consider myself a noob), but in those 15 years I have made myself a huge collection now. So I just think of it as catching up. ;D ..Music is the best.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:01 am 

oh god there are so many...<br><br>But some periods i listen to these the most and some periode i listen to those the most.<br><br>But lately i been listening a lot to:<br><br>Sun RA<br>Laibach<br>Moody Blues<br>The Residents<br>King Crimson<br>and a lot of other stuff...<br>

"I refuse to become what you call normal"
Lemmy Caution

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:53 am 

captain beefheart<br>king crimson<br>ravel<br>stockhausen<br>satie<br>bach<br>varese<br>trane<br>miles<br>watanabe<br>mahavishnu<br>weather report<br>john scofield<br>ted green<br>beethoven, mostly his violin sonatas<br>70s al dimeola<br>70s jean luc ponty<br>joe zawinul<br>an old argentine group called "the grandpas of nothing"<br>the screaming headless torsos<br>a mexican old group called "botellita de jerez"<br>dizzy gillespie<br>brian eno<br>peter gabriel<br>70s pink floyd, led zeppelin, jethro tull, yes, premiata forniera &marconi,<br>EL&P, henry cow, the art bears, the nice, rolling stones, black sabbath.<br>the winter consort<br>ronny jordan<br>stanley jordan<br>jessica lauren<br>the brand new heavies<br>ohm guru<br>forget it this thing is as difficult as top ten zappa records, i'll never finish,<br>as soon as i think of someone, there's another i forgot :P

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:01 am 

Mike Keneally<br>Bryan Beller<br>Psychodots<br>the bears<br>King Crimson<br>Steve Vai<br>John Zorn<br>Django Reinhard<br>Al Di'Meola<br>King's X<br>Led Zepp<br>Pagans Mind<br>Circus Maximus<br>Jaga Jazzist<br>Secret Rivals of Lama<br>Francis Dunnery<br>Chroma Key<br>Platypus<br>JellyJam<br>ProtoKaw<br>Kansas<br>Mr.Bungle<br>.+++++

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:01 am 

[quote author=wheatgurm link=board=zappaning;num=1048380203;start=180#185 date=09/15/05 at 10:51:46]hmm Zappa fucked me all up. I cant STAND any other type of music now.  I still respect the early Yes years, been sometime since I even heard any of that stuff but I do respect them as musicians.  but in general I HATE EVERYTHING. Only Zappa has the style of blues I like. I DO LOVE JAZZ. Jazz to me is the BEST. Even before I listen to Frank I liked Jazz very few singing just alot of jammin, as a drummer of almost 27 years that music is the funnest for me to play. Love to play jazz. Other than that I just exclusivly listen to JUST Frank. One could say that its being closed minded, I just call it taste. Iv only been listning to Zappa for 15 years now ( and yea I still do consider myself a noob), but in those 15 years I have made myself a huge collection now. So I just think of it as catching up. ;D ..Music is the best.[/quote]<br><br>Substitute 27 years for 15 years and I have the EXACT same "problem" (as edited). 8)<br><br>VCF<br>

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:11 am 

[quote author=VCF link=board=zappaning;num=1048380203;start=180#190 date=09/21/05 at 13:01:45]<br><br>Substitute 27 years for 15 years and I have the EXACT same "problem" (as edited). 8)<br><br>VCF<br>[/quote]<br><br>That goes for me too,but it's not that i hate other stuff,it's just that Zappa gives me so much more of a listening experience.<br>I've been a Zappa fan for 20 years and in that time i've got into loads of different stuff (and out of it)and FZ's always been there.<br><br>Zappa is the best.<br> ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:09 pm 

[quote author=asparagus link=board=zappaning;num=1048380203;start=180#182 date=05/14/05 at 16:16:15]<br><br> <br>They used to have the rehearsal room above my ex's band in Liverpool.. . 8)<br>[/quote]<br><br>hey baby does that mean your single? grrrrrr :-*<br>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:55 pm 

[quote author=vivien oblivion link=board=zappaning;num=1048380203;start=180#192 date=09/24/05 at 16:09:23]<br><br>hey baby does that mean your single? grrrrrr :-*<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>Hey! Back of the line! (Or queue, whatever you prefer)<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:03 pm 

;D o.k dude how long is the line???. maybe we should start a thread to find out how many people think asparagus is HOT!! .  ha ha :P :P queen of the forum anybody? ;D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:54 pm 

[quote author=vivien oblivion link=board=zappaning;num=1048380203;start=180#194 date=09/27/05 at 15:03:13] ;D o.k dude how long is the line???. maybe we should start a thread to find out how many people think asparagus is HOT!! .  ha ha :P :P queen of the forum anybody? ;D[/quote]<br><br>Red is good !<br><br>Image<br><br>check this 100% red wmv file (690k) >linko<<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:40 pm 

That chicks hair is practically the same colour as mine, except mine is a bit more "pillar box / fire engine" red.<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:10 pm 

[quote author=vivien oblivion link=board=zappaning;num=1048380203;start=180#194 date=09/27/05 at 15:03:13] ;D o.k dude how long is the line???. maybe we should start a thread to find out how many people think asparagus is HOT!! .  ha ha :P :P queen of the forum anybody? ;D[/quote]<br><br>Heheheh...ahh what nice comments! Im blushing here!  :P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:46 am 

Judging by the photo used as her avatar before the forum breakdown, I definitely vote for aspy to be forum queen!....That and the fact shes English, and usually speaks sense......

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next