Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:45 am 

Why should I think it is not horse shit...well lets scan over why i do first.

A) its all the same
B) they always wake up in the morning, probably because everyone who plays the blues is old and goes to bed late in the afternoon
C) every body wakes up...EVERY DAY! GET OVER IT!
D) it's fucking gay
E) they always lie: they talk about women like they are experienced in the subject but nobody likes smelly old guys that complain all the time and play a instrument that nobody can play well because it just sounds dumb...the harmonica.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:55 am 

Dr. Mono wrote:

A) its all the same
B) they always wake up in the morning, probably because everyone who plays the blues is old and goes to bed late in the afternoon
D) it's fucking gay
E) they always lie: they talk about women like they are experienced in the subject but nobody likes smelly old guys that complain all the time and play a instrument that nobody can play well because it just sounds dumb...the harmonica.

Go easy stuie :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:43 am 

Zappa liked it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:13 am 

Convince me that you are not a piece of shit?!

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:48 am 

Dr. Mono wrote:

A) its all the same
D) it's fucking gay

listen to the allman brothers' fillmore east album and tell me that again plz kthx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:24 am 

lightin' hopkins. just indulge and enjoy. SOME OF IT IS SHIT I AGREE. they play the same note 15 times and bitch (the birth of emo) but some of it smokes aboslutly rages like none other. give it another try i used to feel the same way but now i enjoy some. I am very picky about it but I gaurentee some blues out there is for you and will melt your mind and soul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:58 am 

i don't have to convince you about nothing :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:23 pm 

"the blues are a chair" - John Lennon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:49 pm 

Well, ya sound like an open minded kinda guy, but then again there are actually some people who are annoyed by the sounds that birds make and would prefer the car alarms at 3.45 in the morning. :roll:

You are talking about a genre of music born out of suffering. Slavery to be more specific, not pretend suffering like "I couldn't borrow the car on a saturday night". You didn't provide specific information as to who pushed you over the edge of blues hate...so please give more details.

Thinking that there is only one form of blues is naive. There's the Chicago sound, TexMex, pre-war, post-war early electric...etc.

Follow the influances of your favorites modern musicians back a generation or two and more than likely it will tie back to the blues. That's the glue that held together rock music and gave birth to it.

Like any other of type of music on the planet, there will be songs/preformers/instruments/arrangments/stylings...etc. You won't like. Now theres a wild concept.

*Free advice....avoid any music you don't like. Run,don't walk in the opposite direction. Limit your learning and don't look past the popular choices.

I can't imagine a world uneffected by blues music in which Perry Como and Pat Boone reign supreme Ecccccchhhh!

Once upon a time, musta been 'round October, few years back

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:01 pm 

you just KNOW that Frank would have simply LOVED that purple outfit Little Milton is wearing there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:12 pm 

Try Stevie ray Vanghan,Buddy Guy,Jeff Beck and Muddy Waters then tell me the blues is shit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:53 pm 

I reccomend trying Howlin Wolf. No one else sounds like him--highly original blues. (Yes, there are a few of those 'Woke up in the morning' type lyrics-but everything has it's cliche's. Zappa used them to great amusement.)

Last edited by FeralCats on Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:13 pm 

Right now i have johnny winter on. second winter. I never heard this one! Johnny was the baddest guitarist in his prime. It's what you do with the blues like Jimi did with it. Alot of music is also for dancing to. like alot of blues music is shuffles. if you don't feel it don't try. You may be rhythmically challenged. But i'll tell you it's not nice to diss styles of music generally except for techno and shit like that because it truly bites. it is always okay to make fun of yngwie malmsteen and al dimeola, tho.

if it wasn't for the blues, you wouldn't be here.

because someone digs blues doesn't mean that's all they listen to.

http://thesurfonics.com/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:23 pm 

johnny winter >>>>>> most music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:46 am 

The topic starter (gee i hope his post won't be a hit-and-run) might do himself a favour and dig out his copy of Bongo Fury and listen to the song "Advance Romance", a blues song about which one critic said: "proof that blues doesn't have to be formulaic and can be experimental".

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:19 am 

Dr. Mono wrote:
A) its all the same

that's like saying all frank's solos sound the same..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:21 am 

Dr. Mono wrote:

A) its all the same
D) it's fucking gay
So you're just continuing to be the true-to-form cheap hack you've always been, Mono? Yeah, it sure looks it.

--Batchain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:54 am 

Dr. Mono wrote:
D) it's fucking gay

You are an imbecile. Go back to listening to your "awesome hip hop". How can you be an FZ fan and actually HATE on blues. You obviously have zero insight into FZ's musical foundations. On his first business card he listed himself as a "master blues guitarist".

What's next, hating Doo-Wop?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:41 pm 

Why even try? He don't like it, and won't like it. Think of a musical style you hate. Now have someone convince you to change your mind. I've been listening to country alot because my wife is a fan. Nobody can sway my opinion that it's crap. I don't see what the big deal is if somebody doesn't like something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:03 pm 

I agree with the above that there's probably not a great deal of purpose in attempting to get someone to like something that they don't, but just for the sake of being on the record:

--Calling something "fucking gay" isn't really, uh, proof of anything, especially when it isn't true. Besides, Freddie Mercury was as gay as the day is long, and I love Queen.

--Complaining about the lack of variation is like complaining that there aren't enough chord changes in James Brown songs. The blues is basically, as I see it, about two things: getting across a real feeling and telling a story with a well-established vocabulary. Sure, there are only about 6 notes in the blues, but shit, there are only 12 altogether. Playing the blues is all about choice, note selection, having some soul. I can't remember who said it, but there's a quote something like, "The blues isn't complaining music. It's not music that says, 'Boo hoo, things are so bad, my life is terrible.' What the blues says is this: 'Things are going wrong for me and for you, and we're gonna get through it with the music, because we love it.' "

And hurt myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:01 pm 

Doctor Mono is an asshole who starts totally stupid threads like this and then sits at home pissing himself laughing reading the posts that follow in it's wake. Whatever turns him on I guess, but it's pretty pathetic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:26 pm 

not very original either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:04 pm 

dr mono is getting pwnt in this thredd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:21 am 

FeralCats wrote:
I reccomend trying Howlin Wolf. No one else sounds like him-highly original blues. (Yes, there are a few of those 'Woke up in the morning' type lyrics-but everything has it's cliche's. Zappa used them to great amusement.)

Captain Beefheart comes mighty close to sounding like Howlin Wolf at times. Funny most of us our introduction to the blues was from white groups like the Rolling Stones, Yardbirds, Animals ect...there is nothing like the original one of my favorites Big Mama Thornton her original version of 'Hound Dog' would make you say Elvis Who? Or, Janis Who? With Big Mama's 'Ball and Chain'. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:26 am 

Blues and bluesrock are great if done well, but I'd have to admit that it can also be one of the most tired and cliched sounding genres there is. "Hey, we don't have any tunes left... let's do a blues in A".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next