Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:36 pm
Posts: 56
Location: The Prakatice
Why should I think it is not horse shit...well lets scan over why i do first.

A) its all the same
B) they always wake up in the morning, probably because everyone who plays the blues is old and goes to bed late in the afternoon
C) every body wakes up...EVERY DAY! GET OVER IT!
D) it's fucking gay
E) they always lie: they talk about women like they are experienced in the subject but nobody likes smelly old guys that complain all the time and play a instrument that nobody can play well because it just sounds dumb...the harmonica.

_________________
Nice fire, man!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:52 am
Posts: 332
Location: Reno, Nevada
Dr. Mono wrote:
Why should I think it is not horse shit...well lets scan over why i do first.

A) its all the same
B) they always wake up in the morning, probably because everyone who plays the blues is old and goes to bed late in the afternoon
C) every body wakes up...EVERY DAY! GET OVER IT!
D) it's fucking gay
E) they always lie: they talk about women like they are experienced in the subject but nobody likes smelly old guys that complain all the time and play a instrument that nobody can play well because it just sounds dumb...the harmonica.


Go easy stuie :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 13740
Location: Billy, the mountain...
Zappa liked it...

_________________
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true Art and Science. - Albert Einstein

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:56 pm
Posts: 4716
Convince me that you are not a piece of shit?!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:10 pm
Posts: 111
Location: right behind you
Dr. Mono wrote:
Why should I think it is not horse shit...well lets scan over why i do first.

A) its all the same
B) they always wake up in the morning, probably because everyone who plays the blues is old and goes to bed late in the afternoon
C) every body wakes up...EVERY DAY! GET OVER IT!
D) it's fucking gay
E) they always lie: they talk about women like they are experienced in the subject but nobody likes smelly old guys that complain all the time and play a instrument that nobody can play well because it just sounds dumb...the harmonica.


listen to the allman brothers' fillmore east album and tell me that again plz kthx

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:22 pm
Posts: 1242
Location: Nashville, Tn
lightin' hopkins. just indulge and enjoy. SOME OF IT IS SHIT I AGREE. they play the same note 15 times and bitch (the birth of emo) but some of it smokes aboslutly rages like none other. give it another try i used to feel the same way but now i enjoy some. I am very picky about it but I gaurentee some blues out there is for you and will melt your mind and soul.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:01 pm
Posts: 1332
Location: the other twilight zone
i don't have to convince you about nothing :x


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 11:53 am
Posts: 63
"the blues are a chair" - John Lennon

_________________
stroke me pompadour!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:54 pm
Posts: 5401
Location: Birthplace of Grand Funk Railroad & Mr Don Preston
Well, ya sound like an open minded kinda guy, but then again there are actually some people who are annoyed by the sounds that birds make and would prefer the car alarms at 3.45 in the morning. :roll:

You are talking about a genre of music born out of suffering. Slavery to be more specific, not pretend suffering like "I couldn't borrow the car on a saturday night". You didn't provide specific information as to who pushed you over the edge of blues hate...so please give more details.

Thinking that there is only one form of blues is naive. There's the Chicago sound, TexMex, pre-war, post-war early electric...etc.

Follow the influances of your favorites modern musicians back a generation or two and more than likely it will tie back to the blues. That's the glue that held together rock music and gave birth to it.

Like any other of type of music on the planet, there will be songs/preformers/instruments/arrangments/stylings...etc. You won't like. Now theres a wild concept.

*Free advice....avoid any music you don't like. Run,don't walk in the opposite direction. Limit your learning and don't look past the popular choices.

I can't imagine a world uneffected by blues music in which Perry Como and Pat Boone reign supreme Ecccccchhhh!


Image

_________________
*********************************************************************

Once upon a time, musta been 'round October, few years back

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 11:53 am
Posts: 63
you just KNOW that Frank would have simply LOVED that purple outfit Little Milton is wearing there.

_________________
stroke me pompadour!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 11:44 am
Posts: 2120
Try Stevie ray Vanghan,Buddy Guy,Jeff Beck and Muddy Waters then tell me the blues is shit


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 2243
I reccomend trying Howlin Wolf. No one else sounds like him--highly original blues. (Yes, there are a few of those 'Woke up in the morning' type lyrics-but everything has it's cliche's. Zappa used them to great amusement.)


Last edited by FeralCats on Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:37 pm
Posts: 298
Right now i have johnny winter on. second winter. I never heard this one! Johnny was the baddest guitarist in his prime. It's what you do with the blues like Jimi did with it. Alot of music is also for dancing to. like alot of blues music is shuffles. if you don't feel it don't try. You may be rhythmically challenged. But i'll tell you it's not nice to diss styles of music generally except for techno and shit like that because it truly bites. it is always okay to make fun of yngwie malmsteen and al dimeola, tho.

if it wasn't for the blues, you wouldn't be here.

because someone digs blues doesn't mean that's all they listen to.

_________________
Stop Plate Techtonics!!
http://www.myspace.com/originalfacelift
http://www.balkanmusic.org/
http://thesurfonics.com/index.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:10 pm
Posts: 111
Location: right behind you
johnny winter >>>>>> most music

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:52 am
Posts: 1233
The topic starter (gee i hope his post won't be a hit-and-run) might do himself a favour and dig out his copy of Bongo Fury and listen to the song "Advance Romance", a blues song about which one critic said: "proof that blues doesn't have to be formulaic and can be experimental".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:13 am
Posts: 2271
Location: englandia
Dr. Mono wrote:
A) its all the same


that's like saying all frank's solos sound the same..

_________________
''minimart - it's basically a scaled-down supermarket, fits inside a petrol station. sells pies, antifreeze..''


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:42 pm
Posts: 814
Location: Boston, mASSHOLEchusetts, USA
Dr. Mono wrote:
Why should I think it is not horse shit...well lets scan over why i do first.

A) its all the same
B) they always wake up in the morning, probably because everyone who plays the blues is old and goes to bed late in the afternoon
C) every body wakes up...EVERY DAY! GET OVER IT!
D) it's fucking gay
E) they always lie: they talk about women like they are experienced in the subject but nobody likes smelly old guys that complain all the time and play a instrument that nobody can play well because it just sounds dumb...the harmonica.
So you're just continuing to be the true-to-form cheap hack you've always been, Mono? Yeah, it sure looks it.

--Batchain

_________________
Image<--Photo ArtWerk by Debutante Daisy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:57 pm
Posts: 75
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Dr. Mono wrote:
D) it's fucking gay


You are an imbecile. Go back to listening to your "awesome hip hop". How can you be an FZ fan and actually HATE on blues. You obviously have zero insight into FZ's musical foundations. On his first business card he listed himself as a "master blues guitarist".

What's next, hating Doo-Wop?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 14999
Why even try? He don't like it, and won't like it. Think of a musical style you hate. Now have someone convince you to change your mind. I've been listening to country alot because my wife is a fan. Nobody can sway my opinion that it's crap. I don't see what the big deal is if somebody doesn't like something.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:44 pm
Posts: 18
I agree with the above that there's probably not a great deal of purpose in attempting to get someone to like something that they don't, but just for the sake of being on the record:

--Calling something "fucking gay" isn't really, uh, proof of anything, especially when it isn't true. Besides, Freddie Mercury was as gay as the day is long, and I love Queen.

--Complaining about the lack of variation is like complaining that there aren't enough chord changes in James Brown songs. The blues is basically, as I see it, about two things: getting across a real feeling and telling a story with a well-established vocabulary. Sure, there are only about 6 notes in the blues, but shit, there are only 12 altogether. Playing the blues is all about choice, note selection, having some soul. I can't remember who said it, but there's a quote something like, "The blues isn't complaining music. It's not music that says, 'Boo hoo, things are so bad, my life is terrible.' What the blues says is this: 'Things are going wrong for me and for you, and we're gonna get through it with the music, because we love it.' "

_________________
It sure is slippery
In the percussion section today.
I hope I don't fall down
And hurt myself.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5917
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
Doctor Mono is an asshole who starts totally stupid threads like this and then sits at home pissing himself laughing reading the posts that follow in it's wake. Whatever turns him on I guess, but it's pretty pathetic.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:40 am
Posts: 3493
Location: The Blue Light
not very original either.

_________________
Country music + Black music = Rock and Roll


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:10 pm
Posts: 111
Location: right behind you
dr mono is getting pwnt in this thredd

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:27 am
Posts: 826
Location: Virginia
FeralCats wrote:
I reccomend trying Howlin Wolf. No one else sounds like him-highly original blues. (Yes, there are a few of those 'Woke up in the morning' type lyrics-but everything has it's cliche's. Zappa used them to great amusement.)


Captain Beefheart comes mighty close to sounding like Howlin Wolf at times. Funny most of us our introduction to the blues was from white groups like the Rolling Stones, Yardbirds, Animals ect...there is nothing like the original one of my favorites Big Mama Thornton her original version of 'Hound Dog' would make you say Elvis Who? Or, Janis Who? With Big Mama's 'Ball and Chain'. 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:47 am
Posts: 3361
Location: Netherlands
Blues and bluesrock are great if done well, but I'd have to admit that it can also be one of the most tired and cliched sounding genres there is. "Hey, we don't have any tunes left... let's do a blues in A".

_________________
"When you hear music, after it's over, it's gone in the air. You can never capture it again." -- Eric Dolphy


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group