Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:16 pm 

i don't want to hear any of this "they're all great" bullshit, there has to be one that you hate

i have a few, but i think "bobby brown" takes the cake

edit: i just changed my mind, "honey don't you want a man like me" is worse

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:49 am 

I really don't know. For me there are several tunes I dislike. Maybe I'd bomb Dinah Moe Humm, maybe take on Bobby Brown, maybe i'd be happy to shoot Broken Hearts Are For Assholes...

FZ was right in one thing though: some of his music which is harder to listen to has definitely stood the test of time better in the longer run, compared to a lot of his pop-oriented fare. FZ wrote "Dancin Fool" in like 1977 and played it up to 1988 and then resigned from rock music. Whereas "Pound For A Brown" was composed in 1958 and it found a place on "Yellow Shark", thus outlasting all of his vocal-oriented stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:41 am 

i have been in you and its preceding speech. recives next track treatment immediatly. It was funny the first time maybe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:51 am 

Yeah, "Bobby Brown", "I have been in you", "He's so gay", "SEX", "Valley Girl", guess these are amongst my least favorite FZ tunes as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:45 am 

Keep It Greasy

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:49 am 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Keep It Greasy

The Joe's Garage-version of this song is fantastic. But I understand you if you don't like the 1984-version ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:24 am 

Yeah, Sex is one for me too, its hard to think though.Even ones I didnt like at first have a habit of growing on me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:44 am 

im pretty much an FZ newbie, so i think i have a fresher and younger outlook on his songs than most on here.....

y'all shouldnt hate Dinah Mo Humm so much. sure its probably one of the most popular FZ songs, but its a great introduction to FZ. the first FZ song i ever heard was Dinah Mo, which was a little over a year ago. needless to say, the song totally blew my mind. i couldnt believe what i was hearing. that day i went out and bought Overnite. i loved it. the day after i bought Overnite, I went out and bought Freak out. 13 months later, i now own over 25+ FZ albums, 3 dvds, and his autobiography. and thats all thanks to Dinah Mo Humm.

p.s. in the recent months i have learned all the songs on Sheik Yerbouti by heart, and i'd have to say the 1st 4 tracks are the greatest first 4 tracks on any album. thats just my humble opinion though..

p.s.s. dont let my opinions fool you into thinking i dont like his more compositional stuff, because i have lumpy, waka, wazoo, studio tan and etc and listen to those on a daily basis.

overall, i'd have to say so far though, that One Size Fits All is my fave album, but i have many still i have to discover! its a great journey getting to know FZ!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:06 am 

Aybe Sea wrote:
I really don't know. For me there are several tunes I dislike. Maybe I'd bomb Dinah Moe Humm, maybe take on Bobby Brown, maybe i'd be happy to shoot Broken Hearts Are For Assholes...

FZ was right in one thing though: some of his music which is harder to listen to has definitely stood the test of time better in the longer run, compared to a lot of his pop-oriented fare. FZ wrote "Dancin Fool" in like 1977 and played it up to 1988 and then resigned from rock music. Whereas "Pound For A Brown" was composed in 1958 and it found a place on "Yellow Shark", thus outlasting all of his vocal-oriented stuff.

FZ was explaining in a 1969 Portsmouth concert that the story of "Pound For A Brown" dealt with the Mothers in England. Bunk "browned out" for a pound (english currency)...where'd you learn it was composed in the 50's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:09 am 

Audience favorites like Dinah Mo and Bobby Brown never interested me, but they're still pretty good.

I've heard something from an '84 concert called "Chana in the bushwop" or something. It was just bizzaar. I didn't like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:16 am 

Some FZ songs are not my favorite FZ songs.

But I tend to play an entire record and I never feel the need to hit the ffw.

Not for the totally freaked out stuff of the early days, not for the hopelessly long heavy metal guitar solos, not for the truck stop style buffoonery. There's always something there that makes me go on listening. Even when it's for the 700th time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:52 am 

Cranky_Viola wrote:
Aybe Sea wrote:

FZ was explaining in a 1969 Portsmouth concert that the story of "Pound For A Brown" dealt with the Mothers in England. Bunk "browned out" for a pound (english currency)...where'd you learn it was composed in the 50's?

http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/songs/Po ... Brown.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:20 am 

Cranky_Viola wrote:
I've heard something from an '84 concert called "Chana in the bushwop" or something. It was just bizzaar. I didn't like it.

a 1984 version was released on:
http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/lyrics/Y ... Vol_3.html

honestly i didn't like it at first either, but surprisingly it grew on me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:55 am 

They are all great...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:22 pm 

Cranky_Viola wrote:
Aybe Sea wrote:

Frank composed 'The String Quartet' as a teenager. (Which, I'm sure you know, comprises 'Sleeping in A Jar' and 'Pound For A Brown') When he later seperated same pieces for the rock band, he named it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:35 pm 

I can't stand "He's So Gay"...

Other than that, and "Tengo No.. summat"... I like 'em all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:55 pm 

http://www.zappa.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9113&highlight=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:33 pm 

I'd have to go with SEX too - I liked it better when it was Catholic Girls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:56 pm 

Pretty much the entire "Broadway the Hard Way" album ranks way down at the very bottom of my list. No, it has *nothing* to do with the politics expessed therein, but he was capable of SO MUCH MORE than that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:01 pm 

bangadrian wrote:
i don't want to hear any of this "they're all great" bullshit, there has to be one that you hate

i actually like both of those. i would have to say everything off of freak out except Trouble everyday and lets make the water turn black.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:15 pm 

Max Lobster wrote:
I'd have to go with SEX too - I liked it better when it was "Crew Slut".

I like that fucked up chord he throws in at the end of each rhyme though.

"Let's Make The Water" turn black is on We're Only In It For The Money, and your opinion is awful.

:arrow:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:26 pm 

SCHMANDOS_SPANKING wrote:
bangadrian wrote:

i actually like both of those. i would have to say everything off of freak out except Trouble everyday and lets make the water turn black.

You do realize 'Let's Make The Water Turn Black' isn't even on Freak Out, right?

And I'm not going to touch that 'everything else is bad' part...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:55 pm 

Is everyone forgetting Planet Of My Dreams? God I hate that song.....Bob Harris, please stop singing. Pass the word onto your wife please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:14 pm 

I'd say it's Sex and then Dynamo Hum. Camarillo Brillo is pretty stupid too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:47 pm 

• i’d rather suck the snot out of a gorilla's nose until the back of his head caves in than have to listen to the sleep dirt cd 1 more fucking time
  • i’d rather masturbate with a cheese grater than have to listen to the sleep dirt cd 1 more fucking time
  • i’d rather crush my foreskin between 2 tables while being bitch wipped by a fat, mustached greek named spyros than have to listen to the sleep dirt cd 1 more fucking time
  • i’d rather drink a gallon of turpentine and piss on a forest fire than have to listen to the sleep dirt cd 1 more fucking time
  • i’d rather bungee jump with the harness tied to my penis with thana harris lying naked in the landing zone than have to listen to the sleep dirt cd 1 more fucking time
  • i’d rather have the ten strongest 300 pound linemen in the nfl play tug of war with my nut sack, each side of 5 pulling a separate nut in a different direction than have to listen to the sleep dirt cd 1 more fucking time
  • i’d rather nail my dick to the middle of a 2x4 and set both ends on fire and try to get loose with a butter knife than have to listen to the sleep dirt cd 1 more fucking time
  • i’d rather stick a hartz flea brush up my ass and jog a mile than have to listen to the sleep dirt cd 1 more fucking time
  • i’d rather have sex with pee wee herman in the daylight, without a bag to put over his head than have to listen to the sleep dirt cd 1 more fucking time
  • i’d rather lie under an elephant with diarrhea, in august, with my mouth propped open than have to listen to the sleep dirt cd 1 more fucking time
  • i’d rather be tied to a chair and forced to listen to barry manilow tunes while having my tonsils removed with a rusty spoon than have to listen to the sleep dirt cd 1 more fucking time