Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: ZAPPA´s FRIENDS?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:54 pm
Posts: 13
whatbrelatiuonship did frank have with Black Sabbath, he says iron man is one of the most best rock sdongs ever witrh its riff,, also sabbath bloody sabbath,,
his fireendship with hendrix?
townshend??
steve vaii?¿
clapton?
Led Zep? Floyd? anyone of those?? plesase give me infoo... thanx


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7012
Location: exile
Zappa & Hendrix:
Quote:
"Later he [Jimi] came to visit our cubicle on Charles Street [near Seventh Avenue] with his friend, drummer Buddy Miles. Jimi was wearing green velvet pants -all decked out- on his way to a party with Buddy. (The only thing that Buddy said was 'Hi, Frank,' after which he sat on the couch, leaned back and passed out, snoring.) They were there for an hour and a half. Buddy had a nice nap, and Hendrix ripped his pants at the crotch while demonstrating a dance step. Gail sewed them up for him. When it was time to leave he said, 'Come on, Buddy.' The snoring stopped, and they left".

- the Real Frank Zappa Book (pp. 94-95).

and this was during the Mothers Of Invention stint at the Garrick Theatre, New York, 1967, where Hendrix apparently sat in with them.

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2002 4:25 am
Posts: 3448
Location: SANTA MARIA,CA USA
um, steve vai was in his band at one point.... :roll:

_________________
One two, buckle my shoe!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ZAPPA´s FRIENDS?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7012
Location: exile
roxy n elsewhere wrote:
whatbrelatiuonship did frank have with Black Sabbath, he says iron man is one of the most best rock sdongs ever witrh its riff,, also sabbath bloody sabbath


Quote:
[Ozzy Osbourne] admits he had two embarrassing encounters with misinterpreting the lyrics of others. Once he struck up a conversation with the late Frank Zappa about Zappa's satirical "Moving To Montana." [sic) "I told him I thought it was about cocaine dealing," Osbourne recalls. "He said it was about a dental floss tycoon. I felt like a dick."


:mrgreen:

ozzy-link

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Last edited by Lumpy Gravy on Tue May 29, 2007 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:21 pm
Posts: 467
I love Johnny 'Guitar' Watson's role on One Size Fits All.

With Sting singing on Broadway The Hardway, Tina Turner on backing vocals on Apostrophe (apparently) Shuggie Otis on Hot Rats and getting Grand Funk Railroad to record 'Rubber Neck' on Good Singin' Good Playin', his contemporaries were maybe a bit wary of committing to perform with FZ.

If my memory serves me right, the Jack Bruce input on Apostrophe (bass soloing, essentially) came about because Jack himself said he would rather just jam, than be given a 'part' to perform.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Van Morrison on Dead Girls of London?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2002 7:21 am
Posts: 1690
Location: SLS
Here is the mudshark legend told by Led Zeppelin biographer and eye-witness of fishex, so to say


A very similar account (consistent with Zappa's) was in a book about Led Zeppelin called "Hammer of the Gods." I believe the author was Richard Cole, who work with Zeppelin for a close to a decade.

Stephen Davis: Hammer Of The Gods - Led Zeppelin Unauthorized Pan Books (UK) ISBN 0-330-34287-8

pp. 78-80
"Two days later Led Zeppelin's sojourn in Seattle proved to be the end of their reputation as normal humans. Seattle was where The Shark Episode took place.
...
Back at the hotel the band started drinking. Richard Cole says that what happened later was his fault. "The sharks thing happened at the Edgewater Inn in Seattle. How it came about is that in 1968 I was with Terry Reid, supporting the Moody Blues in Seattle, and their road manager told me the band should stay at the Edgewater Inn, because there's a tackle shop in the lobby and you can fish right out the window of the hotel. I said, 'Go on, fuck off, ya cunt.' He said, 'Come on, Richard, I'm not kidding, it's true.' So the next time I was in Seattle was with Led Zeppelin and Vanilla Fudge, and we started to catch sharks out the window. By this time the tours were more and more risque, and you could do what you liked with the girls who showed up at the hotel. For me, that second fucking Led Zeppelin tour was the fucking best time of my life. That was the one. We were hot and on our way up, but no one was watching too closely. So you could fucking play. And these birds were coming up to my suite wanting to fuck, and me and Bonzo were quite serious about catching these fish." What happened next isn't really clear. One girl, a pretty young groupie with red hair, was disrobed and tied to the bed. According to the legend of the Shark Episode, Led Zeppelin then proceded to stuff pieces of shark into her vagina and rectum.
Richard Cole says it didn't happen that way. "It wasn't Bonzo, it was me. Robert and Bonzo didn't know anything, they were kids. It wasn't shark parts anyway: It was the nose that got put in. Yeah, the shark was alive! It wasn't dead! We caught a big lot of sharks, at least two dozen, stuck coat hangers through the gills and left 'em in the closet... But the true shark story was that it wasn't even a shark. It was a red snapper and the chick happened to be a fucking redheaded broad with a ginger pussy. And that is the truth. Bonzo was in the room, but I did it. Mark Stein [of Vanilla Fudge] filmed the whole thing. And she loved it. It was like, 'You'd like a bit of fucking, eh? Let's see how your red snapper likes this red snapper!' That was it. It was the nose of the fish, and that girl must have come 20 times. I'm not saying the chick wasn't drunk, I'm not saying that any of us weren't drunk. But it was nothing malicious or harmful, no way! No one was ever hurt. She might have been hit by a shark a few times for disobeying orders, but she didn't get hurt."
and on pages 337-338:
In 1989,
"...
When the microphones were on, Robert [Plant] claimed to have forgotten Zeppelin's raucous younger days. When the taperecorders were put away, he regaled the press with lurid, funny stories of hotel-room rapine. He also revealed that some of the band's wives, including his own, were present during the fabled Shark Episode back in the misty days of 1969."




:lol:Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7012
Location: exile
Eric Vaxxine wrote:
With Sting singing on Broadway The Hardway, Tina Turner on backing vocals on Apostrophe (apparently), Shuggie Otis on Hot Rats and getting Grand Funk Railroad to record 'Rubber Neck' on Good Singin' Good Playin', his contemporaries were maybe a bit wary of committing to perform with FZ.


and on Over-Nite Sensation. with the Ikettes (on both albums).

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ZAPPA´s FRIENDS?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9593
roxy n elsewhere wrote:
...clapton

...Floyd? ...


clapton provided a bit of dialog for one album in the late 60's

floyd got vocals credit for why don'tcha do me right on the joe's xmasage album

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ZAPPA´s FRIENDS?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:10 am 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:00 pm
Posts: 284
Location: The Future
roxy n elsewhere wrote:
whatbrelatiuonship did frank have with Black Sabbath, he says iron man is one of the most best rock sdongs ever witrh its riff,, also sabbath bloody sabbath,,
his fireendship with hendrix?
townshend??
steve vaii?¿
clapton?
Led Zep? Floyd? anyone of those?? plesase give me infoo... thanx


He was a big RICKY MARTIN fan!!! :twisted:

_________________
The WHITE ZONE is for loading and unloading only!!


:twisted: HAIL AMNERIKA!!! :twisted:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:15 am
Posts: 321
Location: SFV, LA, CA, USA, Earth
He was apparently also friends with Johnny Winter. Here they had probably jammed together:

Image

_________________
A true Zen saying, nothing is what I want.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:44 pm
Posts: 807
"Out To Get You" from the Zappa-produced Grand Funk Railroad album:

http://www.stendek.info/mp3s/outtogetyou.mp3

(That's Frank's solo!)

_________________
What can you do that's fantastic?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6930
Location: South wales
pedro1 wrote:
Here is the mudshark legend told by Led Zeppelin biographer and eye-witness of fishex, so to say


A very similar account (consistent with Zappa's) was in a book about Led Zeppelin called "Hammer of the Gods." I believe the author was Richard Cole, who work with Zeppelin for a close to a decade.

Stephen Davis: Hammer Of The Gods - Led Zeppelin Unauthorized Pan Books (UK) ISBN 0-330-34287-8

pp. 78-80
"Two days later Led Zeppelin's sojourn in Seattle proved to be the end of their reputation as normal humans. Seattle was where The Shark Episode took place.
...
Back at the hotel the band started drinking. Richard Cole says that what happened later was his fault. "The sharks thing happened at the Edgewater Inn in Seattle. How it came about is that in 1968 I was with Terry Reid, supporting the Moody Blues in Seattle, and their road manager told me the band should stay at the Edgewater Inn, because there's a tackle shop in the lobby and you can fish right out the window of the hotel. I said, 'Go on, fuck off, ya cunt.' He said, 'Come on, Richard, I'm not kidding, it's true.' So the next time I was in Seattle was with Led Zeppelin and Vanilla Fudge, and we started to catch sharks out the window. By this time the tours were more and more risque, and you could do what you liked with the girls who showed up at the hotel. For me, that second fucking Led Zeppelin tour was the fucking best time of my life. That was the one. We were hot and on our way up, but no one was watching too closely. So you could fucking play. And these birds were coming up to my suite wanting to fuck, and me and Bonzo were quite serious about catching these fish." What happened next isn't really clear. One girl, a pretty young groupie with red hair, was disrobed and tied to the bed. According to the legend of the Shark Episode, Led Zeppelin then proceded to stuff pieces of shark into her vagina and rectum.
Richard Cole says it didn't happen that way. "It wasn't Bonzo, it was me. Robert and Bonzo didn't know anything, they were kids. It wasn't shark parts anyway: It was the nose that got put in. Yeah, the shark was alive! It wasn't dead! We caught a big lot of sharks, at least two dozen, stuck coat hangers through the gills and left 'em in the closet... But the true shark story was that it wasn't even a shark. It was a red snapper and the chick happened to be a fucking redheaded broad with a ginger pussy. And that is the truth. Bonzo was in the room, but I did it. Mark Stein [of Vanilla Fudge] filmed the whole thing. And she loved it. It was like, 'You'd like a bit of fucking, eh? Let's see how your red snapper likes this red snapper!' That was it. It was the nose of the fish, and that girl must have come 20 times. I'm not saying the chick wasn't drunk, I'm not saying that any of us weren't drunk. But it was nothing malicious or harmful, no way! No one was ever hurt. She might have been hit by a shark a few times for disobeying orders, but she didn't get hurt."
and on pages 337-338:
In 1989,
"...
When the microphones were on, Robert [Plant] claimed to have forgotten Zeppelin's raucous younger days. When the taperecorders were put away, he regaled the press with lurid, funny stories of hotel-room rapine. He also revealed that some of the band's wives, including his own, were present during the fabled Shark Episode back in the misty days of 1969."




:lol:Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70w27wlYPFU
some women of Zeppelin

on there road LZ manager Richard Cole says bonzo knew the same has him 1.31min :mrgreen:
Cool though FZ say Vannila Fudge caught the girl in his song :D

edit
RP remembers 1.00min from FZ song like if Bonzo say nothingto him about it :|

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:38 am
Posts: 1071
Location: Centerville, Norway
If Roy Estrada had done this in 2012, he probably would have got life or death sentence.

_________________
We make a special art in an environment hostile to dreamers. Frank Zappa, 1971


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6930
Location: South wales
Dark Clothes wrote:
If Roy Estrada had done this in 2012, he probably would have got life or death sentence.

If my granny had balls she be my grampa 8)

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group