Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1475 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:32 pm 

dcscott wrote:
Zut_boF wrote:
I have my Delivery Notice Prepared. I will go take it tomorrow, so i have to pay $16.28 CND + the box set price at $92.34 CND = $108.62 CND
27.16 by cd
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I was lucky, no customs charges. :D

I am happy for you :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:56 pm 

I am just in the half of disc two and i am already happy of it :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:03 pm 

So, anybody hate it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:18 pm 

Xenu wrote:
I promise that this will be the last time I mention this, but...

Disc 1 of this set is mostly derived from a 1987 transfer

Sure. It's even written in the booklet but....

Xenu wrote:
, i.e. little actual new "remastering" took place.

I fail to understand the i.e. here. Frank did transfer the original FO mix to digital in 1987, but those files got re-mastered in 2006 by Doug Sax in California, as written in the booklet. And you must know that "transfer" does not mean "mastering" or "remastering", right ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:31 pm 

Still haven't got mine... I'm starting to get concerned it won't ever be showing up. (this happened when I ordered Joe's Domage too)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:39 pm 

I just got my 4CD MOFO on Wednesday evening after returning home from two and a half weeks away. It's a great package, I really like the case design and I'm glad the discs are hard to get out. I've too often had special packages where a CD slips out as you're opening them and gets scratched in some unpredictable way. My name was fourth on the list which surprised me because this thread was more than half way into it's second page before I discovered it and ordered mine.

As I delved into the 4CD MOFO and came to appreciate it's breadth and depth, the 2CD MOFO faded into insignificance for me and I'll probably give it away, I'm not a completist and the differences are not enough to inspire me - the 4CD MOFO is more than enough on it's own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:38 pm 

Yep i listened all 4 cds and cd 2 and 3 are the best for me but i love 4 too. 1th dont give me more, just different mix is not a big deal.

So i am verry happy, even for the price.

Thanks Gail xxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:24 pm 

polydigm wrote:
I just got my 4CD MOFO on Wednesday evening after returning home from two and a half weeks away. It's a great package, I really like the case design and I'm glad the discs are hard to get out. I've too often had special packages where a CD slips out as you're opening them and gets scratched in some unpredictable way. My name was fourth on the list which surprised me because this thread was more than half way into it's second page before I discovered it and ordered mine.

Just got mine tonight, and this has got to be the most abused packaging and I haven't even listened to the stuff yet. The discs are scuffed after trying to get them out, and then I cut off a little bit of one side of the 'hub' so they could be more easily removed.

I am happy that it's finally here though, and my name did appear, 3 lines up from all those #####'s. I like my little joke.

Neal B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:09 pm 

got it today!

now i had some trouble getting the discs out, and i've found the best way is the Spoon-Hankerchief© technique...

simply put a spoon (or fork for that matter) inside a hankerchief for protection and put the handle end underneath the CD, while ideally getting someone else to bend the packaging below to create a space, then when you've reached the spindle use leverage to eek out the CD!

then never put them back once they're out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:50 pm 

Mine will be arriving very soon thanks to G&S Music, I can't wait! With this and Trance-Fusion now happily spinning in my CD player, this is turning out to be a very good month :D

PS Love the signature timm0 :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:20 pm 

timm0 wrote:
got it today!

now i had some trouble getting the discs out, and i've found the best way is the Spoon-Hankerchief© technique...

simply put a spoon (or fork for that matter) inside a hankerchief for protection and put the handle end underneath the CD, while ideally getting someone else to bend the packaging below to create a space, then when you've reached the spindle use leverage to eek out the CD!

I used my sweaty little mitts and had no problemo at all. I just wedged my finger under the disc and out it popped, no danger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:38 pm 

timm0 wrote:
got it today!

LMAO i had no problem with mine, after 3 minute i can get it hahaha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:24 pm 

Well I still didn't get my copy in the mail so I just said fuck it and got a copy from a friend. The remix is really wonderful -- sounds like a whole new album to me. Is it too early to ask when we can expect the 4CD release of Absolutely Free to come out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:27 am 

My disc 4 sounds completely choppy starting with track 5, and the interview clips afterwards are barely audible. At first I thought that edit of Trouble Every Day just had bad sound quality, but from that track on the whole disc is just terrible. I haven't been able to try it in anything other than my portable CD player yet, but I hope it's just my player and not the disc that's the problem :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:02 pm 

Hey all

Long time reader, first time poster!

Are there any Australian folks who can indicate how long it took for their copy of big MOFO to arrive in their letterbox? My copy was dispatched on the 18th December, and is yet to arrive. I wanna hear this tasty little sucker for myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:27 pm 

Welcome garumph! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:41 am 

It's here. it was patiently waiting in the mail box for my return from vacation. I've not taken out the disks but it looks like it's going to be difficult. Great booklet....

and my name in Caps just like for OZ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:09 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
It's here. it was patiently waiting in the mail box for my return from vacation. I've not taken out the disks but it looks like it's going to be difficult. Great booklet....

and my name in Caps just like for OZ...

You lucky guy ;) I preordered mine on the first day and still waiting for it :(

I am really wondering what kind of process can delay that much international shipments... there is no slower way. My MOFO has to be sleeping on a shelf in some kind of customs warehouse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:01 am 

garumph wrote:
Hey all

Long time reader, first time poster!

Are there any Australian folks who can indicate how long it took for their copy of big MOFO to arrive in their letterbox? My copy was dispatched on the 18th December, and is yet to arrive. I wanna hear this tasty little sucker for myself.

Hey garumph......mine took about two weeks to Sydney, which included the busy Xmas period...pretty reasonable. But if you're in Bullamakanka, it may take a bit longer...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:37 am 

After some unbelievably fast service from G&S Music (ordered Friday, arrived today), MOFO 4CD has arrived, and it's bloody gorgeous. The discs took a bit of wrestling to get out, but they're all fine. The next few evenings are going to be fun :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:07 pm 

As fate would have it, my MOFO was sitting on the kitchen table when I got home! No need for worry...

After a quick cursory listen (and a struggle getting the discs out, but I was warned), I agree with everyone here - it does sound bitchen, rockin' and less "polished" than the 1993 disc (for the better). Not even considering the different mixes.

Uncle Bernie - I ain't in Bullamankanka, Woy Woy or Wagga Wagga for that matter - Melbourne for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:10 pm 

is disc one really that much of an audio improvement over what came before? i'm not so sure. maybe it's just my ears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:35 pm 

Yeah. It leaps out of my speakers! I dig the unfuzzed bass intro on Brain Police, the added overall ambience of the vocals and how defined the percussion overdubs are on Hungry Freaks. That's just my impressions of a quick 10 minutes flick-through.

Doug Sax is a great mastering engineer. He's worked miracles with this, considering its vintage.

Last edited by garumph on Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:39 pm 
Banned

Still hasn't arrived in my mailbox. :(

Isaac

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:52 am 

Isaac wrote:
Still hasn't arrived in my mailbox. :(

Isaac

How can there be such differences?
Btw I don't remember, did you preorder it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1475 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next