Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1516 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 61  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:19 pm 

Found out that the word "botulism" derives from the Latin word botulus, meaning sausage.

In Wildbad, Germany, 1793, 13 people shared one sausage during a simple meal. Within a few hours they were all very ill, and six of them died. The bacteria that caused the disease is known as Clostridum Botulinum, a very malicious bacteria that will attack the nerve system as soon as it gets into a body, leaving the victim paralysed, eventually suffocating to death. It can be killed easily, by two minutes of cooking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:30 pm 

Interesting. I am a Chef for a living and know what Botulism is , but never new its roots. I have to talk this one up at work, althoughn i can see the sausage and suffocation going in the same sentence to lead to disaster

show's about
To begin...

www.hyperfunkalicious.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:48 pm 

This is my Latin teachers favorite story to tell.

Another one is how the Roman's washed their clothes with piss, so the ammonia would kill the bacteria. So essentially, noone in Rome actually had a white toga on- they were all that disgusting half yellow. if you were wearing a snow white toga, it was a big fucking deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:50 pm 

FeralCats wrote:

Another one is how the Roman's washed their clothes with piss, so the ammonia would kill the bacteria. So essentially, noone in Rome actually had a white toga on- they were all that disgusting half yellow. if you were wearing a snow white toga, it was a big fucking deal.

And now we await a realistic movie based in Ancient Roman times, where everyone stinks of piss and wears dripping yellow togas, save a select few. :mrgreen:

Stream my music here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:57 pm 

Crudblud wrote:
And now we await a realistic movie based in Ancient Roman times, where everyone stinks of piss and wears dripping yellow togas, save a select few. :mrgreen:

I'd rather see one where nobody has an English accent. If anything, they should all have Italian accents.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:29 pm 

BBP wrote:
will attack the nerve system as soon as it gets into a body, leaving the victim paralysed, eventually suffocating to death. It can be killed easily, by two minutes of cooking.

Yeow! Remind me to cook my sausage tomorrow morning!

Thanks BBP! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:43 am 

I sure am glad I dont eat 'em! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:37 am 

FeralCats wrote:

And way up to the 19th century, wee was used to treat wool to stop it from being prickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:06 am 

thats why botox was nicknamed "sausage poison"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:09 am 

BBP wrote:
FeralCats wrote:

And way up to the 19th century, wee was used to treat wool to stop it from being prickly.

And it is also used to set dyes and tan hides. (just trying to be helpfull :mrgreen: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:11 am 

l (L)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:42 am 

sabrinaIII wrote:
BBP wrote:
FeralCats wrote:

And it is also used to set dyes and tan hides. (just trying to be helpfull :mrgreen: )

Or to clean jellyfish bites, or to kill the weed in your garden.

Just recalled the textile factories in Tilburg (a humble city in the south of The Netherlands) used to pay their workers for their pee. They were given bottles, they had to fill 'em and take 'em back, and then they were paid for it. To this day, on Carnaval, the people of Tilburg call themselves Kruikenzeikers after this event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:58 am 

BBP wrote:

Or to clean jellyfish bites...

Quote:
Jellyfish bite a pisser?

Myth: Peeing on the wound soothes a jellyfish sting.

Verdict: Sometimes. Sometimes, pee makes it worse.

"Most of the authorities say it doesn't help, it might hurt, but there's no evidence it will end the pain," Davis said.

The best treatment is vinegar, an acid that deactivates stingers that haven't released toxin yet. Depending on the type of jellyfish, alkaline (like baking soda or urine) can deactivate stingers, too.

The downside: Sometimes alkaline activates toxin. Good chance of making your situation worse.

New England jellyfish have a mild sting, aren't dangerous and wounds typically feel better within an hour, Davis said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:10 am 
Banned

Didja know that it's unsafe to feed honey to a baby? Here's the reason why:

QUESTION:
Can a nursing mother eat honey?

ANSWER: Honey is not a problem for mom to eat. The gut flora of adults and children over a year old are able to fend off the botulism spores that may be present in honey, and render them harmless. Since the spores would be killed in your gastrointestinal tract, they would not make it into your bloodstream and therefore cannot be present in your milk.

A baby's gut can't defend itself against the botulism spores, and so they can colonize the intestinal tract, germinate and release botulinum neurotoxin. As a result, honey is not recommended for babies under a year old. It's recommended that you avoid giving baby anything that contains honey, or make sure that the cooking process kills any botulism spores that might be present. To kill botulism spores, the food must be cooked at 240 degrees Fahrenheit (this requires a pressure cooker) for at least 15 minutes. Botulism spores are very heat resistant - it takes more than six hours of boiling at 212 degrees Fahrenheit to kill the spores. The toxin is less resistant - boiling foods (at 212 degrees Fahrenheit) for 10 minutes will destroy the toxin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:15 am 

jimmie d killed the forum wrote:
Didja know that it's unsafe to feed honey to a baby? Here's the reason why:

QUESTION:
Can a nursing mother eat honey?

ANSWER: Honey is not a problem for mom to eat. The gut flora of adults and children over a year old are able to fend off the botulism spores that may be present in honey, and render them harmless. Since the spores would be killed in your gastrointestinal tract, they would not make it into your bloodstream and therefore cannot be present in your milk.

A baby's gut can't defend itself against the botulism spores, and so they can colonize the intestinal tract, germinate and release botulinum neurotoxin. As a result, honey is not recommended for babies under a year old. It's recommended that you avoid giving baby anything that contains honey, or make sure that the cooking process kills any botulism spores that might be present. To kill botulism spores, the food must be cooked at 240 degrees Fahrenheit (this requires a pressure cooker) for at least 15 minutes. Botulism spores are very heat resistant - it takes more than six hours of boiling at 212 degrees Fahrenheit to kill the spores. The toxin is less resistant - boiling foods (at 212 degrees Fahrenheit) for 10 minutes will destroy the toxin.

And on top of all that, most of it will get all over the furniture anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:17 am 

Yep: there is a warning on most honey packages here. But I didn't know why.

Honey contains something (forgot the name) that will help your body at taking nutrients. That's why warm milk with honey should help you when you need sleep: the milk to make you sleepy, and the honey to take it easy.
Unfortunately by heating the honey too much, this effect honey has, will disappear.

If your honey starts to form chrystals, put your jar in a basin of warm water, no more than 40 degrees Celsius. Leave overnight, and your honey will be chrystal-clear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:27 am 

Baby baby, hey, baby don't you want some honey from me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:08 pm 

Make way for the Iron Sausage!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:14 pm 

Learned Haribo stands for HAns RIegel, from BOnn, the founder of the company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:27 pm 

The word flammable wasn't a real word until around 1810. People instead said inflammable. However, since someone might think that it meant "not able to catch on fire", the word flammable was invented.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:37 pm 

Roberto Clemente was originally signed by the Dodgers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:25 pm 

All you need to learn to become a master chef is located in an educational computer game, originally released in 2003 by PG Games Entertainment. I learned everything by playing it, and now all my friends think I am so good. It has seven steps in it, I think what you mentioned in this topic is included here.

It has now been released as freeware. It previously cost 300$ (and only available to chefs in a university). It is entitled Cooking Breakfast 2, but not really limited to breakfast.

download

EDIT: The link now works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:22 pm 

Kangaroos have two vaginas but no uterus. When the embryonic kangaroo begins to enter the fetal stage it is forced from whichever vagina it occupies and must find it's way to the mother's pouch to continue developing or die trying.

--Bat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:27 pm 

Sparlatacus wrote:
All you need to learn to become a master chef is located in an educational computer game, originally released in 2003 by PG Games Entertainment. I learned everything by playing it, and now all my friends think I am so good. It has seven steps in it, I think what you mentioned in this topic is included here.

It has now been released as freeware. It previously cost 300$ (and only available to chefs in a university). It is entitled Cooking Breakfast 2, but not really limited to breakfast.

download

Don't download this. Sparlatacus is an old troll around these parts. He seemed to leave very quickly when Jimmie D posted his picture. Don't believe anything he says.

Post subject: Sparlatacus
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:19 am 
Banned

calvin2hikers wrote:
Sparlatacus wrote:

download

Don't download this. Sparlatacus is an old troll around these parts. He seemed to leave very quickly when Jimmie D posted his picture. Don't believe anything he says.

.....now.....would I do somethin' as devious as that?..... 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1516 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 61  Next