Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:26 pm 

Where to begin? I'll start in order (for now)!!!
Grimpoteuthis wrote:
I've never seen Uncle Meat (I didn't know a complete version existed) but from the clips I've seen I looks like a shittly put together film with once again good music... That is to say he can be you're tenth favorite director (he is probably my 11th favorite) but to say he is the 10th greatest of all time, its not only incorrect but extremely rude to the great men and women who dedictaed their lives to the craft of filmmaking with the same tenacity with which frank approached music.

Hi-dee-ho Grimpoteuthis!!! I disagree with your, "extremely rude to the great men and women who dedictaed their lives to the craft of filmmaking." I am one of THOSE people. See Grimpoteuthis, overall, I find that most Zappatologists/FZ fetishists have dedicated sooooo much time and effort to studing his musical compositions and know him as just that - and that is a monumental task in itself. But, when it comes to his films thay say, "nahhh!!!" ("Where to begin?" - YIKES!!!). Most of you lovely folks just park you're "FZ dee composer at dee door" and say, what dah, who dah!!! Most think it seems that it's all improv'd anyway, just dee music with visuals anyway. WRONG FOLKS!!! Admit it now to yourself, that's what most of you fetisists think.

If he composed every last note of his music, why think his films are any different. Now, with that said, as far as I can tell he did script his films and films that. It is a fact that FZ was at his absolute best when making his films folks (you heard me say that enough times). [Pop quiz: "Quick! Name any other filmmakers that directs, writes, produces, AND, composes his own films!"].

Times up!!! FZ has been quoted enough times saying that when he composes his music, he usually is "thinking" about dee accompanying visuals. So, fetishist Grimpoteuthis are you starting to get dee point about where I'm coming from? PLUS, Frank Zappa is dee greatest political filmmaker of all-time. Film after film he is continually fighting dee good fight. Yes, Godard did it more than any other mainstream director, but even he mellowed out in dee eigthies. Viddy well for now!!!!

...:wink:...
Droog #26 dee Minister of Anthropology

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:07 am 

My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:
Sam Peckinpah
John Ford
Martin Scorsese
Stanley Kubrick
Francois Truffaut
Luis Bunuel
Quentin Tarantino
Terry Gilliam
Francis Ford Coppola (for Apocalypse Now & The Godfather)
Jim Jarmusch

Hey Fritz, any relation dee lovely ARF folks? Just about to watch dee film print of Grindhouse tonight at a local Rep cinema. Can't wait to see this new style of 2 for 1 cinema. Y'arrr!!!

Now, I'm assuming that this list is in no particular order. Peckinpah is a surprise there. I love dee guy and he did pave dee way for alot of us filmmakers. No one quite did action-flics like him. It's all relative, but I prefer Eric Rohmer to Truffaut. He is Mr. Natural Lighting to me, and with dee exception of a handfull of shots (because of technical problem), ALL his films are shot with ONLY ONE TAKE per shot, shots no coverage, meaning that that script page is covered from one camera angle and in one take, therefore all his films take about one week to edit, because he also use dee natural on-location sound that was filmed with THAT camera angle. Needless to say, he does a s.hit-load of rehearsals. Check out Eric Rohmers filmography: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006445/. Kudo's on your list Fritz. Anyone else? Viddy well until next time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:16 am 

look guy. If frank is not on of the top 10 filmakers of all time. I don't park him at the door as a composer, i just don't give him a suckjob over things he doesn't desevre because I like his music. I like his films and the music in his films because I am a fan of him but I can't really believe someone who studies film (I myself am a cinematography student) can sincerley believe he deserves a position on that list having made no films that really changed anything.
Furthermore, where do you get off calling other people fanatical??!!! It takes someone with out that attitude to be able to seperate their love of frank and step back and say, yes he is the greatest composer of all time but these movies aren't very revolitonary or even very well made. A zappa fetishist would be on your side, saying everything he did was wonderful and terrific.

As far as name any other fillmaker who blah blah blah.....

Robert Rodriguez... and furthermore, to prove that this doesn't mean anything. Robert Rodriguez is one of my least favorite directors. Frank could've personally lit 200 motels and it still wouldn't make the lighting any better.

Get your head out of your ass man, there were 10 greater filmmakers within the first decade of the invention of the motion picture camera shitwit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:27 am 

knepo wrote:
Be sure to watch Alphaville, une étrange aventure de Lemmy Caution by godard. It's his best film from my point of view, and a movie that would enter my 5 favorite movies

Alphaville, une étrange aventure de Lemmy Caution (Alphaville, a Strange Adventure of Lemmy Caution; 1965, 99'). It's got to have one of dee best film taglines ever, "Suddenly the word is Alphaville... and a secret agent is in a breathless race against the Masters of the Future." It had a crazy French working title, Tarzan vs. IBM. A bit of a Kubrick homage there, since everyone knew (since early 1964) that SK was filming his futuristic 2001 film (released in 1968)? For more info on Alphville: [url]http://imdb.com/title/tt0058898/[/url]. Viddy well, knepo! Viddy well...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:41 am 

Grimpoteuthis wrote:
I like his films and the music in his films because I am a fan of him but I can't really believe someone who studies film (I myself am a cinematography student) can sincerley believe he deserves a position on that list having made no films that really changed anything.

As far as name any other fillmaker who blah blah blah..... Robert Rodriguez... Get your head out of your ass man, there were 10 greater filmmakers within the first decade of the invention of the motion picture camera shitwit.

Since you are a cinematography student Grimpoteuthis (WHATEVER HAPPEN TO JUST STUDYNG FILMMAKING?), name ten filmmakers from dee first decade of film history. Mind you motion picture were invented in 1891 in France, and not in 1896 in New Jersey (by that dam lawyer Edison), as most americans think. So, name ten filmmakers (to make it easier), between 1891-1906 who were bettere then dear-old FZ? Do this from memory eh Grimpoteuthis! Hurry, since you just posted it less than an half-hour ago. Viddy well, Grimpoteuthis! Viddy well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:51 am 

My reasoning comes first..... Since the thread is called "My Top 10", not "The Top 10", and the first line in the first post is "My Top-10 favourite filmmakers of all-time & the ones that have influenced my films dee most ", this is a list of the 10 filmmakers who appear most often in the movies I buy-to-own. Not "the best directors ever", merely the people who's work I usually enjoy. :lol:

David Cronenberg
George A. Romero
Ray Harryhausen
Terry Gilliam
Stanley Kubrick
Mario Bava
Dario Argento
John Carpenter
Peter Jackson
Quentin Tarantino

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:43 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
David Cronenberg
George A. Romero
Ray Harryhausen
Terry Gilliam
Stanley Kubrick
Mario Bava
Dario Argento
John Carpenter
Peter Jackson
Quentin Tarantino

You know Doug, good-old Tarantino has said that his number one influence on his style of filmmaking is Mario Bava (1914-1980). I'm thinkin' of doing a Mario Bava tirlogy at my film exhibition space in downtown Toronto in about three weeks time. Stay tuned. Dario Argento is another Bava disciple!!! Here's a mini-biography on Bava:
Quote:
Mario Bava

The Italian director Mario Bava was born in 1914. His father, Eugenio Bava, was a cinematographer in the early days of the Italian film industry. Bava was trained as a painter, and when he eventually followed his father into film photography his artistic background led him to a strong belief in the importance of visual composition in filmmaking. Other than a series of shorts in the forties which he directed, Bava was a cinematographer until 1960. He developed a reputation as a special effects genius, and was able to use optical trickery to great success. Among the directors for whom Bava photographed films were Paolo Heusch Riccardo Freda Jacques Tourneur and Raoul Walsh. While working with Freda on I Vampiri in 1956, the director left the project after an argument with the producers and the film mostly unfinished. Bava stepped in and directed the majority of the movie, finishing it on schedule. This film, also known as The Devil's Commandment, inspired a wave of gothic Italian horror films. After a similar incident occurred on Freda's Caltiki in 1959, and Bava's having been credited with "saving" Tourneur's Giant of Marathon (1959), Galatea urged Bava to direct any film he wanted with their financing. The film that emerged, The Mask of Satan aka Black Sunday, is one his most well known as well as one of his best. This widely influential movie also started the horror career of Barbara Steele. While The Mask of Satan is a black and white film, it was in the color milieu that the director excelled. The projects which followed began to develop stunning photography, making great use of lighting, set design, and camera positioning to compliment mise-en-scenes bathed in deep primaries. Through works such as Hercules in the Haunted World (1961), The Whip and the Body (1963), and Planet of the Vampires (1965) Bava's films took on the look of works of art. In the films The Evil Eye (1963) and Blood and Black Lace (1964) he created the style and substance of the giallo, a genre which would be perfected in the later films of Dario Argento. Bava worked in many popular genres, including viking films, peplum, spaghetti westerns, action, and even softcore, but it is his horror films and gialli which stand out and for which he is best remembered. Recommended are Black Sunday, The Whip and the Body, Blood and Black Lace, Kill Baby Kill, Twitch of the Death Nerve, and Lisa and the Devil. Bava's son Lamberto served as his assistant on most of his films since 1965, and since 1980 has been a director himself. Lamberto Bava's films include Macabre, Demons, and Body Puzzle. Mario Bava died in 1980.

Personal Quote:
"Movies are a magician's forge, they allow you to build a story with your hands--at least, that's what it means to me. What attracts me in movies is to be presented with a problem and be able to solve it. Nothing else; just to create an illusion, an effect, with almost nothing".

Kudo's on your list Doug. A well-rounded list. Y'arrr!!! Viddy well then...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:13 pm 

In no particular order......

1. Terry Gilliam
2. Stanley Kubrick
3. David Cronenberg
4. George A. Romero
5. Ray Harryhausen
6. Peter Jackson
7. John Carpenter
8. Mel Brooks
9. Tod Browning
10. Michael Crighten
10.5. James Whale

Way too many other greats to name including George Lucas, Stephen Speilberg, ect ect ect ect........................................................

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:39 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
5. Ray Harryhausen

Hey SPACEBROTHER. I love your list. Kudo's. This is dee first time a "Special Effects guru" is listed as a fav filmmaker. That's stretching it, and it's a first for me. Kudo's on your choice anyway!!! Viddy well then.... Hi-dee-ho...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:18 pm 

"A film is, or should be, more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." – Stanley Kubrick

"I would not think of quarrelling with your interpretation nor offering any other, as I have always found it the best policy to allow the film to speak for itself." - Stanley Kubrick

"I've never achieved spectacular success with a film. My reputation has grown slowly. I suppose you could say that I'm a successful filmmaker - in that a number of people speak well of me. But none of my films have received unanimously positive reviews, and none have done blockbuster business." - Stanley Kubrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:39 pm 

leone being the best and then so on and so on... most of these are directors i dont know what you would define as filmmmaker tho...

leone
almodovar
hitchcock
kubrick
bava (he's pretty obscure, i doubt a lot of ya know him)
welles
polanski
gilliam
tarantino
renoir
alan smithee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:57 pm 

Joe Mama wrote:
bava (he's pretty obscure, i doubt a lot of ya know him)
alan smithee

WE wrote about Bava a few postings back. Hey Joe Mama, which Alan Smithee? I don't think anyone outside dee industry understands why numerous filmmakers use that name. Should I explain it or would you like too, since you posted it. Viddy well until then...

Jerry Lewis: "You can't polish a turd."
Stanley Kubrick: "You can if you freeze it."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:12 am 

"Great Googly Moogly" There's some serious film connoisseur's in this here forum and in no way do I wish to get embroiled in this old cinematic quagmire of who's best, first, relevant, seminal, missunderstood, yawn, arf....

That's quite enough of that. Here's my top ten list of directors whose films spend a proportionately large time occupying my DVD playing thingy. In no particular order.

Alejandro Jodorowsky
The Brothers Quay
David Lynch
Paul Thomas Anderson
Alexandr Sukurov
Woody Allen
Terry Gilliam
Werner Herzog
Harmony Korine
Jan Svankmayer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:19 pm 

Dr Poobah wrote:
"Great Googly Moogly" There's some serious film connoisseur's in this here forum and in no way do I wish to get embroiled in this old cinematic quagmire of who's best, first, relevant, seminal, missunderstood, yawn, arf.
...Alejandro Jodorowsky
The Brothers Quay
Jan Svankmayer

With that said, you yourself Dr Poobah are an ecelectic connoisseur yourself. As a filmmaker first, that was my list of WHO influenced me the most - most people find it hard to do. Y'arrr!!! Did you know that New Yorkers, The Brothers Quay travelled all dee way to PRAGUE to study and mentor under one of dee greatest animators ever Jan Svankmayer. Alot of you FZ fetishists, will see alot of simularities to Bruce Bickford style. I'm sure Brucie was heavily influence by Svankmeyer. As am I because I have done enough animation in my lifetime. Kudo's Dr Poobah.

At a recent summer solstic gathering in dee woods up in these here northern parts, I screened Jodorowsky's seminal film Holy Mountain (1973). Most OMee's are still talking about that film and want to see more. For over 100 of them, it was their first exposure to that crazy mexican ex-pat who made his films in Poland. Crazy, eh!!! Everytime FZ talks about the mexican pope, I always think of dee Pope fucking the cross scene in Holy Mountain (a classic folks), and Jodorowsky himself. Go see his film fo0lks. I still think his best film is El Topo (1970). Btw, just noticed he is production for a brand-new flic due out in 2009 - yeah-haa - and it's called King Shot [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0423524/]. Viddy U well then....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:08 pm 

Anyone else want to share their list??? Viddy well until then...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:33 pm 

Gio, do you actually know all this stuff or are you just getting it off Wikipedia? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:38 pm 

I think the guy genuinely knows what he's talking about, his writing style is a little bit annoying with all the 'dees' and the 'viddy wells,' but what can you do?

Stream my music here.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:41 pm 

Nack Blapkin wrote:
Gio, do you actually know all this stuff or are you just getting it off Wikipedia? :wink:
Crudblud wrote:
I think the guy genuinely knows what he's talking about, his writing style is a little bit annoying with all the 'dees' and the 'viddy wells,' but what can you do?

Hey Nack Blapkin, Wikipedia nowhere near comes close to my standards of research. PLUS, this filmmaker eyes and ears can discern alot of s.hit!!! So much of my book was lateral thinkin' and knowing film history, therefore, placing all of FZ's films in context/perspective. He really did want to be known as a filmmaker first folks, as my Studio Z book will show you.

Thanx for dee kind words Crudblud!!! Btw, viddy well is from dee Nadsat language from Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange (that title taken from a quote, "as queer as a clockwork orange"), and it means, "To see you well" - OK? Remember folks, Alex Dee Large is ACO's Droogs Gang leader. Got dee memo folks? Viddy you both well...

PS - what are some of your favourite filmmakers?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:26 am 

Gio. Shanger wrote:
Nack Blapkin wrote:
Crudblud wrote:

Hey Nack Blapkin, Wikipedia nowhere near comes close to my standards of research. PLUS, this filmmaker eyes and ears can discern alot of s.hit!!! So much of my book was lateral thinkin' and knowing film history, therefore, placing all of FZ's films in context/perspective. He really did want to be known as a filmmaker first folks, as my Studio Z book will show you.

Thanx for dee kind words Crudblud!!! Btw, viddy well is from dee Nadsat language from Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange (that title taken from a quote, "as queer as a clockwork orange"), and it means, "To see you well" - OK? Remember folks, Alex Dee Large is ACO's Droogs Gang leader. Got dee memo folks? Viddy you both well...

PS - what are some of your favourite filmmakers?

I get it, I must confess I've never seen the film or read the book, and uh, no problem about the kind words thing. :lol:

Stream my music here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:48 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I wouldn't put Frank in the top 500, or even 1000 as a filmmaker.

I stand, as always, with Lord Calvin.

A salute to you, my good sir!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:50 pm 

Gio. Shanger wrote:
He really did want to be known as a filmmaker first folks, as my Studio Z book will show you.

I find that very hard to believe. I mean, his idol was Edgar Varese.

Although I remember reading that, in his later years, if Frank's studio engineer went on holidays and Frank couldn't write and record music, he would jump on a typewriter and starting writing scripts. So he definately was interested in filmmaking. It's a shame he didn't have a budget to make any of them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:57 pm 

Nack Blapkin wrote:
I find that very hard to believe. I mean, his idol was Edgar Varese.

Although I remember reading that, in his later years, if Frank's studio engineer went on holidays and Frank couldn't write and record music, he would jump on a typewriter and starting writing scripts. So he definately was interested in filmmaking. It's a shame he didn't have a budget to make any of them.

Yes, musically Varese was his absolute idol. But filmically, FZ was more influenced by dee sci-fi genre films of the 50's, the Spike Jones TV show, and dee experimental film scenes of San Fran (50's) and New York in dee 60's (this is one of dee main reason for doing all those shows at The Garrick Theater, and for as long as he did - remember that). Haven't yet narrowed down an actual number one filmmaker influence on his work (so some lateral thinkin' is involved here), BUT, in later life, I would hazzard a guess and say that it would be a tie between Matt Groening and Bruce Bickford (but that's only an educated gues here folks). Early on, in dee late 50's/early 60's, I would hazzard to guess that it may be Stan Brakhage and Kenneth Anger? Their style merged together, then Add a dash of dee Spike Jones TV Show, AND that feels most like FZ's filmic stylee. Remember FZ was always heavily influenced by dee Theater of the Absurd and the Dadaists. OK? But with that said, FZ has always said that it's dee 50's Sci-Fi flic's that influenced him dee most. He has always paid a homage to Spike Jones. Hope that helps!!! Viddy well folks...

I must say that this comment is false, "if Frank's studio engineer went on holidays and Frank couldn't write and record music." FZ never asked anyone to do anything for him, that he himself could do a hundred times over. FZ was a scientist about everything folks. Having a crew made his life easier, and with his immense output of releases, he had to sleep, this way his crew could keep productions going 24-hr, especially with all dee Synclavier stuff and the multiple productions going on at dee same time!!! Plus, he could not of done that immense output if Gail didn't take care of all dee financing and dee general running dee business IA emipre. OK? Viddy well Nack Blapkin. Viddy well...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:07 pm 

FeralCats wrote:
I stand, as always, with Lord Calvin.

A salute to you, my good sir!

Why FeralCats? You too would not put FZ in your top 500 or 1000 list? An explaination is required here, if I understand you correctly. SO, what filmmakers do you like? Viddy well just dee same...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:02 pm 

Gio. Shanger wrote:
Yes, musically Varese was his absolute idol. But filmically, FZ was more influenced by dee sci-fi genre films of the 50's, the Spike Jones TV show, and dee experimental film scenes of San Fran (50's) and New York in dee 60's (this is one of dee main reason for doing all those shows at The Garrick Theater, and for as long as he did - remember that). Haven't yet narrowed down an actual number one filmmaker influence on his work (so some lateral thinkin' is involved here), BUT, in later life, I would hazzard a guess and say that it would be a tie between Matt Groening and Bruce Bickford (but that's only an educated gues here folks). Early on, in dee late 50's/early 60's, I would hazzard to guess that it may be Stan Brakhage and Kenneth Anger? Their style merged together, then Add a dash of dee Spike Jones TV Show, AND that feels most like FZ's filmic stylee. Remember FZ was always heavily influenced by dee Theater of the Absurd and the Dadaists. OK? But with that said, FZ has always said that it's dee 50's Sci-Fi flic's that influenced him dee most. He has always paid a homage to Spike Jones. Hope that helps!!! Viddy well folks...

I still find it hard to believe that Zappa wanted to be known primarily as a filmmaker. I'd be interested to read your book though.

Quote:
I must say that this comment is false, "if Frank's studio engineer went on holidays and Frank couldn't write and record music." FZ never asked anyone to do anything for him, that he himself could do a hundred times over. FZ was a scientist about everything folks. Having a crew made his life easier, and with his immense output of releases, he had to sleep, this way his crew could keep productions going 24-hr, especially with all dee Synclavier stuff and the multiple productions going on at dee same time!!! Plus, he could not of done that immense output if Gail didn't take care of all dee financing and dee general running dee business IA emipre.

From Ritz 1983: http://www.afka.net/Articles/1983-01_Ritz.htm

FL: (changing the subject) Do you compose every day?

FZ: No. If I wrote every day it would be ridiculous. I've got so much stuff now that hasn't been released that I could stop writing for ten years and I'd be OK.

FL: But you'd go mad, wouldn't you? Not working.

FZ: Yes.

FL: Tell me about your film treatments?

FZ: You wanna read them? You read fast?

FL: Yes! Yes! Yes! Can I read them while I interview you?

FZ: You wanna read them?

FL: Yes!

FZ: Okay. Drink your tea (room service) read them and talk to me.

FL: Oh God. I'm not expected to laugh am I?

FZ: Read the story. Don't ask questions.

FL: (reading) Are these film treatments a conscious effort to break away from music?

FZ: No. I do music all the time. I like films. During the holidays it's hard to get people to work – I mean people who are employed by me in the studio an engineer and two maintenance guys. While they're off on vacation, I think 'what am I going to do?' So I put the typewriter in my bedroom and spent a few days doing these things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:36 pm 

Quote:
which alan Smithee? I don't think anyone outside dee industry understands why numerous filmmakers use that name. Should I explain it or would you like too, since you posted it. Viddy well until then...

when a director doesnt like a movie that he makes or the studio butchers the film or something, the director lists himself in the credits as alan smithee. i just put that cuz i couldnt think of a tenth one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next