Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1475 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:12 am 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
I just felt that mofo could use a bump. 8)

A Bump from a Lump on the Thread. Cool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:28 am 

feetlightup wrote:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:

Bumpy Gravy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:10 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:

feetlightup wrote:

just plain doug wrote:
Bumpy Gravy?

now, gentlemen, don't make fun of an fz album title! :wink:

anyway; I think mofo (together with läther) is the most important release the zft has managed so far.
mofo deserves all the attention it can get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:10 am 

i think that Imaginary Diseases and Trance-Fusion are also important, but, because of their historical significance, MOFO and Lather are the best that ZFT has given us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:00 am 

The one i learned more things is Joe's Domage.

I found that Frank is very cool with his musicians, patient, relax and that he can play all his song on guitar. And that he use his guitar has educational tool. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:27 am 

So okay, let me get this straight: every album that he ever released is going to get this treatment?!

Sorry if this was explained earlier in the thread, but I'm not sorting through sixty pages of posts to find the right answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:42 am 

I don't know a thing about this MOFO project. However, I will not buy a four cd box of outtakes, mistakes, false starts and alternative mixes. Maybe I am old and GRUMPY, but why can't an album be just an album anymore? This is one of the reasons why I have started to buy vinyl records again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:47 am 

Bullery Butt wrote:
I don't know a thing about this MOFO project. However, I will not buy a four cd box of outtakes, mistakes, false starts and alternative mixes. Maybe I am old and GRUMPY, but why can't an album be just an album anymore? This is one of the reasons why I have started to buy vinyl records again.

Maybe your not enough hooked to make a trip in a time machine, maybe later 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:28 am 

Bullery Butt wrote:

Grumpy Lavy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:34 pm 

bump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:42 am 

I bought the 2 CD set of MOFO at Fry's for $24.50 - the entire first CD is Freak Out leaving only the second disc for the outtakes - and I already have Freak Out on LP . Now I want to get the 4 cd version but $69.99 is a little steep for a 4 cd set.

"I dunno I just get tired of you honey it's ah your hairspray or something..."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:10 am 

I got MOFO for Xmas Mo Fo's! Track 2 on disc 3 is SICK!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:39 am 

I purchased the 2-disc release of this a couple of years ago and it arrived like this:

A disc inside a horrible plastic wallet thing
The rear paper insert of the packaging
The CD booklet

All of this minus the cd case in a re-sealable sellaphane wallet

Was this how the 2-disc version was suppossed to be released? I think I need to go and get the 4-disc version don't I?

What a loser

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:31 am 

no I don't think so. Though I can't claim to know any other distribution methods other than the one I got and that was bought at a record store, all the ones I've seen are in a jewel case
that's hinged on the 'outside' spine, so on the right side as you look at the front of the case. But that's the jewel case.
There is no more material than
TWO discs with different music/art on them
the booklet
the back tray with art on both sides.

So it sounds like you may have all the material of 'fazedooh' minus the plastic case, which anyone can get for 15 cents at most retail music stores.

The four-disc version contains
http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/lyrics/T ... bject.html
because I'm lazy today
but has at least two hours more previously unavailable stuff from that period. It's pretty friggin spiffy!
There is some overlap between the two releases, perhaps it's inevitable in today's (or just yesterday's) market.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:15 am 

punknaynowned wrote:
no I don't think so. Though I can't claim to know any other distribution methods other than the one I got and that was bought at a record store, all the ones I've seen are in a jewel case
that's hinged on the 'outside' spine, so on the right side as you look at the front of the case. But that's the jewel case.
There is no more material than
TWO discs with different music/art on them
the booklet
the back tray with art on both sides.

So it sounds like you may have all the material of 'fazedooh' minus the plastic case, which anyone can get for 15 cents at most retail music stores.

The four-disc version contains
http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/lyrics/T ... bject.html
because I'm lazy today
but has at least two hours more previously unavailable stuff from that period. It's pretty friggin spiffy!
There is some overlap between the two releases, perhaps it's inevitable in today's (or just yesterday's) market.

Yes you are right, I just don't have the jewel case.
I think I still may need to go and get the 4-disc version, particularly now that I have Lumpy Money....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:22 am 

Finally got dis nasty sucker
CD 1 - nice clean version, like it more then rykodisc
CD 2 - basic tracks are cool, nice to sing with them along, nice *SPAM* also :mrgreen:
CD 3 - Filmore songs are great, other... blaaah, not a fan
CD 4 - also very nice CD, remixes are chrispy and fresh :roll:

well, you're thinking, who gives a fuck, but I needed to say dis :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:47 pm 

My cheesy little critique of MOFO.

Packaging:
The packaging is lovely, I really like the tactile nature of the orange writing and mustache. I don't like the buttons.

Big THANK YOU! for the warning on the front.

I had trouble at first getting the CDs off the buttons. They were extremely tight, tight things are usually good, but not in this case. Eventually I carefully got my finger under the disc and slid it towards the center to apply gentle upward pressure from underneath. This solved the problem of the discs bending more than I felt comfortable with while trying to remove them in the conventional way. I intend to listen to them regularly for a while so I have placed all 4 discs in spare jewel cases. Problem Solved.
This sounds intentionally like some bad, romance novel.
The booklet is full of great stuff that I have never seen before and lots of fun facts. The map of L.A. hot spots was an unexpected pleasure. I hate to toss stickers etc. I carefully trimmed the plastic wrap and placed both stickers inside the pocket where the map and booklet go.

Disc ONE:
Digital reverb? We don't need no stinkin' digital reverb!
The best way to describe this release is to note that after listening to it for five days in a row I put in an older Ryko CD, it sounded so muted and low end I couldn't believe it. This has got to be the best audio quality I've ever heard on a CD release. Everything is clear and crisp with no audio dropouts, or distortions that I noticed. I can't decide which I like better the re-mix or this original vinyl mix. It's like two different creatures. There are some lines present in the '84 mix that were censored out by MGM on the original vinyl release. I really think most fans will eventually want them both. The censored lines are included in the '70s mixes present on disk four.

Disc TWO:
This is your brain. This is your brain on Groupie Bang Bang, any questions?

Disc Three:
This disc continues the deconstruction of the album to it's basic parts revealing the structure of early multitrack recording in a way that I've not heard done before. This is truly fascinating. Each part of the larger composition is dissected and laid out for anyone to examine and learn from.
Onto the live material.
Wow, how raw and garage rock that particular group sounded. As far as I know I have never heard any other live performances from this Mothers lineup. Are the Cherry Sisters an earlier incarnation of the group that became known as the GTOs?

Disc Four:
This is really a documentary disc. There are some interviews from a couple of different time periods, and it is quite interesting the way the answers change from one time to another. Overall I'd say this set is a great release.

"Whose foot is to be the measure to which ours are all to be cut or stretched? Is a priest to be our inquisitor, or shall a layman, simple as ourselves, set up his reason as the rule for what we are to read and what we must believe?" T.J.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:16 am 

Just ordered the 2-disc version - I want the original mix of FREAK OUT!

Maybe later I'll order the 4-disc version.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:53 pm 

The 4-disc is wonderful, but the 2-disc would be just fine and has a few of the highlights on the second dist. The only real bonus you don't get is the live tracks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:28 pm 

I love the 4-Disc set, one of my favourites. I put it on all the time.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:53 am 

ruz-el wrote:
I love the 4-Disc set, one of my favourites. I put it on all the time.
same here, probably because it's the most prominently visible package on the shelf, oversized shiny white vinyl, soft but firm with a slight bulge ... just begging to be unraveled & fondled

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:19 am 

tweezers wrote:
The 4-disc is wonderful, but the 2-disc would be just fine and has a few of the highlights on the second dist. The only real bonus you don't get is the live tracks.

Yeah, the live tracks are the thing that makes me most interested in buying the 4-disc version. But most of all I want to hear the vinyl master of Freak Out! (one of my favorite Zappa albums), and in that case, the 2-cd version suits me fine at the moment (it was cheap as well, found it in a swedish online store for less the price than importing it from USA).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:37 pm 

I remember when I got the 4cd version home and opened it up
and only 3 discs were in it!!!
I emailed the zft and they sent me another whole 4cd set for free!!

There's good service for you!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:36 am 

Just got it and I LOVE it! Wonderful thing! The vinyl mix sure sounds a bit raw, but the remix pales in comparison, it's flat as a pancake compared to the MOFO-version. I'm happy! :)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:09 pm 

Bullery Butt wrote:

Not to mention the thing cost like $60! I bought the 2 disc release, which was fine. Then later downloaded the 4 disc release, but I guess I was never that into FO anyway...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1475 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59