Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:23 pm 

bugger it all.

i met stude in the chat room 4 or 5 years ago and subsequently had many adventures with him on the www.

knew he was sick but not that it was so serious. stude sent me a few cds from the kindness of his heart and i never reciprocated ( not that i had anything much to offer - stude worked his hard drive so hard he had a personal rapport with the local dell service engineer) .

stude loved all kinda music but what he and i had especially in common, apart from zappa, was stuff like little feat, Allman bros etc.

unfortunatly i neglected to keep up contact over the last 2 years which was my mistake, loss, but will not forget stude or should i say neil.

FOLKS - REMEMBER BROTHER STUDE - A TOP MAN INDEED.

love mungo

and all the best to sabs, bc, stride, dr. inc, and all the others as well.

Post subject: Studebaker hop
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:28 am 

Is studebacker hop& Studebaker the same guy?

Post subject: Re: Studebaker hop
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:35 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Is studebacker hop& Studebaker the same guy?

Nope, different folks. Studebaker hasn't been here for many months though.

Post subject: Studebaker hop
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:37 am 

Thats what I thought, I would really like to hear his opinion of Wazoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:50 am 

So sad to hear about Neil's departure, he seems like my kinda guy...
He loved Frank, Lowell & Buddy....a man of taste in my book..

I don't think I interacted with him much on the forum...wish I had

See you in the Crystal Jam Room, man...
we''ll take another ride on Lowell's slide

Peace to you too, Sabs...be happy

Dave

"Wanna buy some pencils?...."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:20 am 

You guys are all so kind. Been thinking about him again and his sudden departure. Inevitable at this time of year. He will always be missed and thats the best thing you can say about anybody. But life goes on and there is much to be happy about. :lol: I think we will all get a chance to meet again after we go to the other side-in other lives in other places. It will be great. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:26 am 

RIP Neil!!
Thinking of ya buddy....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:29 pm 

sabrinaIII wrote:
He will always be missed and thats the best thing you can say about anybody. But life goes on and there is much to be happy about. :lol: I think we will all get a chance to meet again after we go to the other side-in other lives in other places. It will be great. :mrgreen:

I echo yer thoughts :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:27 pm 

Yeah I think he's thought about an awful lot. I can't listen to Blues without thinking of him. Led Zep came on the radio yesterday and I had to smile. What would Neil have said? Hehe. We all know how much he loved them! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:26 pm 

aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:
Yeah I think he's thought about an awful lot. I can't listen to Blues without thinking of him. Led Zep came on the radio yesterday and I had to smile. What would Neil have said? Hehe. We all know how much he loved them! :wink:

I always get a kick outta playing people that old Small Faces track 'You Need Lovin' (I've got the CD)
Not only did Zep rip the old blues guys...Plant ripped Steve Marriot's phrasing and delivery 100%

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:39 am 

mutronboy wrote:
aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:

I always get a kick outta playing people that old Small Faces track 'You Need Lovin' (I've got the CD)
Not only did Zep rip the old blues guys...Plant ripped Steve Marriot's phrasing and delivery 100%

Not the genius he's hailed to be eh? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:24 pm 

aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:
mutronboy wrote:
aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:

Not the genius he's hailed to be eh? 8)

Considering all the hoo-hah on the media over the last few days
(a million applicants for the Zep reunion tickets)
I'm sure Neil would be squirming if he was here...

Can a million people be wrong?....you betcha!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:19 am 

mutronboy wrote:

Y'see, even if I was a massive Zeppelin fan, it's was bloody obvious to me that it was incredibly likely they'd do a tour after this "one off" event. So, all these people clammering for tickets, paying just stupid amounts for them, could have avoided all the heartache and expense, and just gone to see them on tour (Yes, it was that obvious there'd be talk of a tour).
What was announced on Radio Two the other day?....Yes! Led Zeppelin have stated that they are considering the possibility of a tour very soon and no doubt a DVD, just before Xmas to bump the bank balance. Call me a cynic, I don't care, but the people paying well over the odds for tickets really have more money than sense.

Quote:

Hell yes! :lol:
Ahhh Neil would be proud of that rant! Haha! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:42 am 

aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:
mutronboy wrote:

Y'see, even if I was a massive Zeppelin fan, it's was bloody obvious to me that it was incredibly likely they'd do a tour after this "one off" event. So, all these people clammering for tickets, paying just stupid amounts for them, could have avoided all the heartache and expense, and just gone to see them on tour (Yes, it was that obvious there'd be talk of a tour).
What was announced on Radio Two the other day?....Yes! Led Zeppelin have stated that they are considering the possibility of a tour very soon and no doubt a DVD, just before Xmas to bump the bank balance. Call me a cynic, I don't care, but the people paying well over the odds for tickets really have more money than sense.

Quote:

Hell yes! :lol:
Ahhh Neil would be proud of that rant! Haha! 8)

Indeed! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:55 pm 

mutronboy wrote:

I don't agree about the percentage (plant didn't copy anybody right off), but steve marriott was the best rock vocalist to come out of ol' england.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:01 pm 

aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:

at long last, led zep are beginning to cash in, just like that other old british 60s band... what's their name?... ah, yes... pink floyd...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:42 am 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:

at long last, led zep are beginning to cash in, just like that other old british 60s band... what's their name?... ah, yes... pink floyd...

Personally, I'm a Waters fan. Don't much care for Floyd after The Final Cut. Like the odd song but they were nothing special after Waters left, imo. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:19 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
mutronboy wrote:

I don't agree about the percentage (plant didn't copy anybody right off), but steve marriott was the best rock vocalist to come out of ol' england.

Yeah...but if you listen to the Faces 'You Need Lovin''
Plant does copy Marriott phrase for phrase (Whole Lotta Love)
(the vocal acapella bit at the end)
that's the only part I know he copied 100%
not sure about the rest of their stuff...but I do like most of it
they may be a big bunch of copycats...but who isn't?

I also like the Steve Morse Band version of 'Kashmir'...heh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:16 pm 

mutronboy wrote:
they may be a big bunch of copycats...but who isn't?

exactly. very few are real originals.

and, sometimes it's "they were influenced by" and sometimes it's "oh, they were just copycats..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:56 pm 
Banned

I came across one of his old posts today. Ya gotta love his self-deprecation, as evidenced by this quote. It was the last line of a longer response.

studabaker_hop wrote:
This leaves me very confused as i usually am >:( >:( >:(

For stu's full response, click on this link> http://www.zappa.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... 6&start=25

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:53 pm 

Well, I'm obviously quite late sending my condolences.
Drommom told me earlier today about Neil's passing. Neil was possibly my favorite person on these boards and the chat. He was always nice to me in the chats when I was the 'youngin'. I always wondered what was in that suitcase :lol:
Unfortunetly, I didn't get to say goodbye to him and the last time I talked to him he thought I was mad or something. I could never be mad at Neil.
He was an amazing guy with a lot of character and spunk. It was really funny about how he hated French. I remember an instance when he was telling me about the library and all the French shit there. He'll really be missed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:20 pm 

I was reminded of Neil once again by a friend of his from Montreal. It's almost the anniversary of his death. I sent her a picture of the memorial to him that I have in my home. I thought that maybe some here might like to see it too and know that I am taking care of him. His ashes are in the bag in a container behind the picture of him. The picture is not great, but it's the best one I have. There is information on him inside the bag as well, so that if something happens to me others will know who he was. He will always have a place of honor in my home as long as I have one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:07 pm 

That is great Sabby. I bet he is looking down at us here on earth and laughing about the whole craziness of it all...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:20 pm 

Miss him loads. Hard to believe it's almost a year isn't it?
Wonderful to see such a nice picture of him though, Sabs. Thanks for posting. :)

Post subject: Love the pic
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:49 pm 

I copied the pic and saved it. I have a llittle file of Neil pics I have saved. Sometimes when I think of him I send him a IM on Yahoo..

My Favorite is the one of him wearing the Black T-shirt we mailed to him that was from my Sons BAR MITZVAH..

Neil loved it. I think many of you might have seen it in the pic of Neil taken next to his scooter.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next