Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1247 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 50  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:29 am
Posts: 5041
What Book Are You Reading

Excerpt from Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451

Come on, Montag. All this
philosophy, let's get rid of it.
It's even worse than the novels.
Thinkers, philosophers, all of
them saying exactly the same thing:
"Only I am right.
The others are all idiots."
One century, they tell you
man's destiny is predetermined.
The next, they say that
he has freedom of choice.
It's just a matter of fashion,
that's all. Philosophy.
Just like short dresses this
year, long dresses next year.
Look. All stories of the
dead. Biography that's called.
And autobiography.
My life. My diary.
My memoirs.
My intimate memoirs.
Of course, when they started out,
it was just the urge to write.
Then after the second or third book, all
they wanted was to satisfy their own vanity,
To stand out from the crowd,
to be different,
To be able to look down
on all the others.
Ah, critic's prize. This is a good one.
Of course, he had the critics
on his side. Lucky fellow.
Just tell me this, Montag,
at a guess, How many literary awards were made in
this country, on an average each year?
Five, ten, forty? Hmm?
No less than. Anybody that put pen to paper was
bound to win some prize someday.
Ah, Robinson Crusoe. The negroes didn't
like that because of his man, Friday.
And Nietzsche. Ah, Nietzsche.
The Jews didn't like Nietzsche.
Now, here's a book about lung cancer.
All the cigarette smokers got into a panic,
so for everybody's peace of mind, we burn it.
Ah, now this one must be very
profound. The Ethics of Aristotle.
Now anybody that read that must believe
he's a cut above anybody that hadn't.
You see, it's no good, Montag.
We've all got to be alike.
The only way to be happy is
for everyone to be made equal.


So, we must burn the books,
Montag.



_________________
Trendmonger's Moment Of Clarity

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:50 am
Posts: 5813
Location: A holographic construct outside of linear time
Trendmonger wrote:
What Book Are You Reading

Excerpt from Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451

Come on, Montag. All this
philosophy, let's get rid of it.
It's even worse than the novels.
Thinkers, philosophers, all of
them saying exactly the same thing:
"Only I am right.
The others are all idiots."
One century, they tell you
man's destiny is predetermined.
The next, they say that
he has freedom of choice.
It's just a matter of fashion,
that's all. Philosophy.
Just like short dresses this
year, long dresses next year.
Look. All stories of the
dead. Biography that's called.
And autobiography.
My life. My diary.
My memoirs.
My intimate memoirs.
Of course, when they started out,
it was just the urge to write.
Then after the second or third book, all
they wanted was to satisfy their own vanity,
To stand out from the crowd,
to be different,
To be able to look down
on all the others.
Ah, critic's prize. This is a good one.
Of course, he had the critics
on his side. Lucky fellow.
Just tell me this, Montag,
at a guess, How many literary awards were made in
this country, on an average each year?
Five, ten, forty? Hmm?
No less than. Anybody that put pen to paper was
bound to win some prize someday.
Ah, Robinson Crusoe. The negroes didn't
like that because of his man, Friday.
And Nietzsche. Ah, Nietzsche.
The Jews didn't like Nietzsche.
Now, here's a book about lung cancer.
All the cigarette smokers got into a panic,
so for everybody's peace of mind, we burn it.
Ah, now this one must be very
profound. The Ethics of Aristotle.
Now anybody that read that must believe
he's a cut above anybody that hadn't.
You see, it's no good, Montag.
We've all got to be alike.
The only way to be happy is
for everyone to be made equal.


So, we must burn the books,
Montag.




so are you actually reading this, or did you just feel like farting some more?

_________________
Solipsism
Solar Culture
Solipsism Tumblr
Shitface
Shitface Music Page


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 2243
Jews don't like Nietzche? That's news to me. Why?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 3567
FeralCats wrote:
Jews don't like Nietzche? That's news to me. Why?



hmm, I just started reading Walt & Mearsheimers THE ISRAEL LOBBY...I will look for clues...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 2243
brainpang wrote:
FeralCats wrote:
Jews don't like Nietzche? That's news to me. Why?



hmm, I just started reading Walt & Mearsheimers THE ISRAEL LOBBY...I will look for clues...


I read his 'On The Case Of Wagner' and other things by him and he seems pretty critical of anti-semitism.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 9575
Location: EINDHOVEN
Mary Shelley: Dracula

For college I have to read Jane Eyre. Wish me luck!

Just a sec. I TYPED this whilst I was reading one of the finest books I've read in a long time... and I type Shelley wrote DRACULA!?! {thud head}

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Last edited by BBP on Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:50 am
Posts: 5813
Location: A holographic construct outside of linear time
FeralCats wrote:
Jews don't like Nietzche? That's news to me. Why?


people probably assume it because Nietzche was erroneously linked with the rise of nazism. Some people seen his philosophy through misinterpretation as influencing the rise of the far right in germany.

_________________
Solipsism
Solar Culture
Solipsism Tumblr
Shitface
Shitface Music Page


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:15 am
Posts: 1321
Location: Croatia, Europe
THE REAL FRANK ZAPPA BOOK
oh yeah... finally arived

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 2243
TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
FeralCats wrote:
Jews don't like Nietzche? That's news to me. Why?


people probably assume it because Nietzche was erroneously linked with the rise of nazism. Some people seen his philosophy through misinterpretation as influencing the rise of the far right in germany.


Ridiculous. I personally really like Nietzche, so it bothers me that he seems to be so frequently misunderstood. I never actually finished 'Zarathustra'--by the beginning of the second book the style's imitation of the Bible was starting to really bother me--but when I was reading the prologue I was shocked. His description of the 'Ultimate Man' (not the Overman) has always read to me like a critique of blind nihilism.

EDIT: Also, right now I'm reading 'Gargantua and Pantagruel' by Francois Rabelais. Great book, completley filthy, filthy stuff. Masterpiece. I reccomend it to anyone, I wish I could read it in French. Was this really written in the 1500's?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:50 am
Posts: 5813
Location: A holographic construct outside of linear time
FeralCats wrote:
TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
FeralCats wrote:
Jews don't like Nietzche? That's news to me. Why?


people probably assume it because Nietzche was erroneously linked with the rise of nazism. Some people seen his philosophy through misinterpretation as influencing the rise of the far right in germany.


Ridiculous. I personally really like Nietzche, so it bothers me that he seems to be so frequently misunderstood. I never actually finished 'Zarathustra'--by the beginning of the second book the style's imitation of the Bible was starting to really bother me--but when I was reading the prologue I was shocked. His description of the 'Ultimate Man' (not the Overman) has always read to me like a critique of blind nihilism.

EDIT: Also, right now I'm reading 'Gargantua and Pantagruel' by Francois Rabelais. Great book, completley filthy, filthy stuff. Masterpiece. I reccomend it to anyone, I wish I could read it in French. Was this really written in the 1500's?


his sister is largely to blame for it, she took control of all his work when he became mentally ill later in life and she edited (and forged) a lot of his writings.

_________________
Solipsism
Solar Culture
Solipsism Tumblr
Shitface
Shitface Music Page


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:21 am
Posts: 5228
Location: Rhineland
TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
people probably assume it because Nietzche was erroneously linked with the rise of nazism. Some people seen his philosophy through misinterpretation as influencing the rise of the far right in germany.


Thx CS, couldn't say it better.

_________________
What's the ugliest part of your body ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:17 pm
Posts: 2362
Location: Kapuskasing, Ontario
I find it funny people consider fascism to be "the far right". How could socialism ever be considered right wing!? But I guess the left right paradigm doesn't make any sense to begin with.

_________________
For my clinically insane music
http://routenote.com/album/FOWL
http://www.myspace.com/fowlmusic
http://www.last.fm/music/fowl
http://www.deezer.com/en/#music/fowl
Your mental health requires buying my cd


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:54 am
Posts: 607
Location: Columbia,SC USA
The Helping Freindly Book

_________________
And here we are at the Mudd Club,
Y'all...
I hope you enjoy yourself, cause the
show's about
To begin...


www.hyperfunkalicious.net


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:50 am
Posts: 5813
Location: A holographic construct outside of linear time
FOWL wrote:
I find it funny people consider fascism to be "the far right". How could socialism ever be considered right wing!? But I guess the left right paradigm doesn't make any sense to begin with.


well it's only difficult if you think of the politicial spectrum as being linear. If you think of it as being circular, then the far left and far right are almost the same ;)

_________________
Solipsism
Solar Culture
Solipsism Tumblr
Shitface
Shitface Music Page


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:43 pm
Posts: 560
Location: UCONN Hell-Eastern CT.
Lifting Shadows:The authorized DREAM THEATER biography

_________________
Seriously? WTF?!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:19 am
Posts: 313
riscworld

www.Lspace.org


Last edited by Mondstar on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:13 am
Posts: 1725
Location: FLINT-USA
Image

This is a book I read recently.....A great inside look at this tortured soul. Highly recommended. :wink:

_________________
Image

Ain't It Funky Now...

http://www.facebook.com/lbruister
http://www.last.fm/user/LaMarr_Bruister


Last edited by LaMarrBruister on Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:35 pm
Posts: 1843
Location: usa
Image

_________________
This world is made for people who aren't cursed with self-awareness.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5918
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
FOWL wrote:
I find it funny people consider fascism to be "the far right". How could socialism ever be considered right wing!? But I guess the left right paradigm doesn't make any sense to begin with.

It's actually quite straight forward. Socialists ideally believe in some kind of equality for all citizens and it is that idea which is labelled left wing. The right wing is designated for those who believe in having the majority of the population subserviant to a ruling class. The nazis in Germany in the 1930s may have called themselves socialists but they did not believe in equality for all and that's what made them right wing.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:07 pm
Posts: 5691
Location: Closer than I Appear
Right. The Nazis weren't fascist - they were more akin to fundamentalists. Mussolini was fascist.

_________________
Let's hear it again for the London Philharmonic Orchestra!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 3567
LaMarrBruister wrote:

This is a book I read recently.....A great inside look at this tortured soul. Highly recommended. :wink:


Yea. Howard Kaylan is interviewed here and there in the book.
Damn, losing 2 close, talented friends friends to cancer must stink.
Zevon was a student of Stravinsky, y'know. They became close friends.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:13 am
Posts: 1725
Location: FLINT-USA
brainpang wrote:
LaMarrBruister wrote:

This is a book I read recently.....A great inside look at this tortured soul. Highly recommended. :wink:


Yea. Howard Kaylan is interviewed here and there in the book.
Damn, losing 2 close, talented friends friends to cancer must stink.
Zevon was a student of Stravinsky, y'know. They became close friends.


Zevon wrote a couple of tunes for the Turtles..Outside Chance and Like The Seasons which was the flipside of Happy Together.

_________________
Image

Ain't It Funky Now...

http://www.facebook.com/lbruister
http://www.last.fm/user/LaMarr_Bruister


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 9575
Location: EINDHOVEN
Dracula - Bram Stoker. I'm in a vampire phase... too much Duckula.

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15000
Image

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:17 pm
Posts: 2362
Location: Kapuskasing, Ontario
polydigm wrote:
FOWL wrote:
I find it funny people consider fascism to be "the far right". How could socialism ever be considered right wing!? But I guess the left right paradigm doesn't make any sense to begin with.

It's actually quite straight forward. Socialists ideally believe in some kind of equality for all citizens and it is that idea which is labelled left wing. The right wing is designated for those who believe in having the majority of the population subserviant to a ruling class. The nazis in Germany in the 1930s may have called themselves socialists but they did not believe in equality for all and that's what made them right wing.


The whole left right thing is basically just a muddy mess and there is no clear interpretation of what either means because there are millions of issues and they all arbitrarily seem to fall into a left or right category. I tend to think of left right as a purely economic issue in it's most basic sense, the left meaning pool the wealth, and the right meaning, keep the wealth in private hands away from governments. Basically we've never seen either! We've always been in some degree of a hellish quagmire of tyrannical socialism.

_________________
For my clinically insane music
http://routenote.com/album/FOWL
http://www.myspace.com/fowlmusic
http://www.last.fm/music/fowl
http://www.deezer.com/en/#music/fowl
Your mental health requires buying my cd


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1247 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 50  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], The Forum Killed Arkay and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group