Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:04 pm 

[quote author=PenguinInBondage link=board=concerts;num=1130865933;start=15#24 date=11/01/05 at 19:02:12]You guys might flip out (or not?) but I actually have an American version of this songbook.  It's in pretty worn condition but it's all there!  Do you think it's worth a pretty penny?<br><br>[center] ???[/center][/quote]<br>Id pay $50 for a tattered copy of the Guitar book, maybe $30 - $40 for the songbook. Put it on e-bay and you'll get a fair amount...no doubt.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:12 pm 

[quote author=FROWNLAND link=board=concerts;num=1130865933;start=15#25 date=11/01/05 at 19:04:09]<br>Id pay $50 for a tattered copy of the Guitar book, maybe $30 - $40 for the songbook. Put it on e-bay and you'll get a fair amount...no doubt.[/quote]<br><br>Wow - I have a great copy of the Guitar book and a tattered copy of the American version of the songbook (with front cover and inside pics by Cal Schenkel).<br><br>I would imagine that the songbook was worth a heck of a lot more than the Guitar book.   ???

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:13 pm 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=concerts;num=1130865933;start=0#13 date=11/01/05 at 14:32:19]OK, Trendy, I'll call your bluff.  I don't believe you.  I'm betting that you have bootlegs.[/quote]<br><br>I do not own a traditional bootleg. I have downloaded random samplings just to see what everyone is talking about but in no way have I made an effort to create some personal audio vault. Much of what you are talking about I have not heard and if that makes me some less of an officianado that is not important to me.<br><br>Warren and I have discussed some AUDs that are being traded and let's just say neither party appreciates it.<br><br>I don't mean to say that Waren does not appreciate his fans. he shares many free songs and videos with his fans. He gives permission for these free downloads at his site http://www.cuccurullo.tv/download/summary.html<br>but from an artistic integrity standpoint there isd something very wrong about specific shows or performances being traded. Let's just leave it at that.<br><br>I presnetly am listening to 5 demos from Playing In Tongues. I can't tell you how mazing this material is. I wish I could share more with youbut out of respect for the artist we must wait to share and talk about it.<br><br>I presnetly have video footage that I recorded of  The Dweezil Zappa band . It's an accoustic show. They do Overture from Tommy where each musician is playing in a differnet key. They do G-Spot Tornado. Out of respect for the artist I do not trade it.<br><br>I don't know if any of this behavior means anything to you bit it does to the artist. <br>

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:24 pm 

Trendmonger, <br>   As I learn more of this tale, I'm baffled that you would say the Zappateers is a crap site (or whatever your specific / ignorant wording was) when Warren's site is so, I don't know...... 1998? in contrast.......  Not that it's a pissing contest or anything but as far as I'm concerned, is there even a contest there?<br><br> [center]???    ???    ???[/center]

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:37 pm 

Bottom line here is that Zappateers.com is the fuckin coolest website on the net...imo.<br>    This website, hate to say it is not much better. I learn way more Zappa related stuff there than here. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:43 pm 

[quote author=PenguinInBondage link=board=concerts;num=1130865933;start=15#26 date=11/01/05 at 19:12:20]<br><br>Wow - I have a great copy of the Guitar book and a tattered copy of the American version of the songbook (with front cover and inside pics by Cal Schenkel).<br><br>I would imagine that the songbook was worth a heck of a lot more than the Guitar book.   ???[/quote]<br><br>You mean there's something BESIDES a tattered copy of the guitar book? :o ;D 8)<br><br>I got mine brand-spankin new in 1984 and the damn thing has been falling apart for 21 years!  It's essentially a pile of 200 pieces of paper with about 100 bound pages.<br><br>But I'm STILL learning stuff from that book.<br><br>VCF

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:46 pm 

PIB I bet you could get a handsome $300 for that good condition copy of the Guitar one. I've seen tattered ones for $250 on e-bay and people have bought them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:51 pm 

[quote author=FROWNLAND link=board=concerts;num=1130865933;start=30#31 date=11/01/05 at 19:46:45]PIB I bet you could get a handsome $300 for that good condition copy of the Guitar one. I've seen tattered ones for $250 on e-bay and people have bought them.[/quote]<br><br>Hot damn!  And I always thought that the Songbook was the one worth money.  I can't remember what I paid for the Guitar Book one but I seem to remember it being under $100 5-6 years back.  Wow - I have a strong suspicion that I will be throwing a reserve priced edition up there soon to see what happens!  I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the thing, but if I can print out the version from zappateers - I have no personal attachment to the original mccoy.  Maybe then I can upgrade some of my studio gear with the earnings....<br><br>Thanks for your help!   ;D

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:54 pm 

And here you guys got me all excited..... here are some examples of it being worth less than $60:<br>[center]<br>http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Frank-Zappa-Guitar-Book_W0QQitemZ7359695823QQcategoryZ38104QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem<br><br>http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Frank-Zappa-Guitar-Book-transcr-by-Steve-Vai_W0QQitemZ7359445948QQcategoryZ38100QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem<br><br>http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-FRANK-ZAPPA-GUITAR-BOOK_W0QQitemZ7358188710QQcategoryZ113499QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem<br><br> :'(    :'(    :'([/center]

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:59 pm 

This is quite sickening.<br><br>1. If I were to say I saw you in a comprimising place, and wanted to use that against you, wouldn't I have had to be there too to have seen you?<br><br>2. In order to know so much about zappateers to attempt so lamely to discredit it, you must go through an awful lot of it to get your complaints ready.<br><br>3. He recites various concerts, dates, seeders and such, all of which for one who doesn't supposedly like it, knows about it, use it and so forth, an awful lot.<br><br>4. Not a soul gets a penny from them. People take the time to SHARE the stuff. The only credit involved by putting your name, or nickname to it, is to proclaim you are saying its authentically what you claim it is.<br><br>5. If one of these doom delivering jems, as good ole tredny has implied, left another person at their home believing its from xyz city on xyz date, then he should then discredit 100's of other sites, places like FZShows, Zappa patio and the like for investing phenomenal sums of energy to validate authenticity. If i heard a song, and fz says, welcome to halloween 1977 detroit for example, should I now say trendy is correct, the tape is wrong? <br><br>6. Why, in any way shape or form, would anyone give a flying fuck about this anyway, such as tdenry does. If I download a song, show or all of them, not a soul makes money. If i put a copy of a show up there that I had, I dont make money. If i went into a concert and taped it, without the consent of the owners, they need to deal with me, not the one who got a copy. Its not illegal to have them in your possesion. So if I DID do this, and was the soul source to blame, I taped it illegally, I shared it, the fucking statute of limitations has expired, this is stuff from 1988 and back.<br><br>7. So why the hell does terndy whine. Is it because he can't get them himself? He has a modem, too slow? He said something to someone there and got banned?<br><br>8. So then, it is because this occurs, the Zappa Family Trust is NOT releasing material, because the sales wont compensate the investment. I have touched on this before, and guess who was the only one to reply, good ole tderyn. Complaining, accusing, name-calling and such to the public consumer of these goods are NOT going to fix whatever issue you feel is corrupted beyond belief.<br><br>9. If Frank Zappa, as a musician, artist, performer and owner of a vast catalog of material that could be sold for profit were the only one involved, I would cry about it too. But let me tell ya, every single artist has this same problem. So as I also stated before here, sell it fast and cheap. I can go to Queen's website right now, and download last nights', or a short gap of time, show. Just a few bucks. If I could have seen him in 88 and three days later download it for 4.99 or something, fuck the zappateers, I got the real show in days. File sharing as we know it would not be what we know it as. You would thin by reading the posts here, FZ was the only artist, ever. I would like to think he was one of my favorites, not the best. That is a judgement call based on the listener. Like beauty right? It's in the eye of te beholder. I bet you the Rolling Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd, U2, Bruce Springsteen, name any more you wanted, and they DO NOT have this problem too right? Go spew your shit on their fan sites a while.<br><br>10. If ZFT started to deliver on their promises, and flood the market with product, I would buy it. I have everything so far. Not all do, so trdney finds he needs to go after zappateers. Who is to blame. Who is at fault. Take away sharing and I bet ZFT would release the entire vault and we would all buy every release in platinum record quantities. Yeah!<br><br>11. Most importantly, why the fuck does trendy care, no one cares what you say anymore. There is a fairy tale called the little boy who cried wolf. You MUST be on the payroll of someone in this mess. And my biggest complaint of all, he cant fucking spell. There is a whole fucking thread on it. Pal, before you click post, READ THE MOTHERFUCKER. I have the hardest time reading it, and even if you actually for once in your miserable fucking life had a valid point, I wouldn't know it because you spelled it wrong. Are you dyslexic? I won't excuse you for that. You know why? Because my sister and I have it. She even failed grades from it. Thankfully I didn't pass it on to my kids, but my sisters kids inherited it. It sucks. Go fill out a job application and spell your own fucking last name wrong. Ive been there. So try this, hi-lite the entire text of your post, copy it, go to a word processor like MS word or whatever, paste it in and SPELL CHECK IT. Then copy it again, bring it here and post it.<br><br>There are a zillion artists, a zillion web-sites, a zillion songs, go find another one to bother. This is a waste of time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:11 pm 

[quote author=PenguinInBondage link=board=concerts;num=1130865933;start=30#33 date=11/01/05 at 19:54:33]And here you guys got me all excited..... here are some examples of it being worth less than $60:<br>[center]<br>http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Frank-Zappa-Guitar-Book_W0QQitemZ7359695823QQcategoryZ38104QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem<br><br>http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Frank-Zappa-Guitar-Book-transcr-by-Steve-Vai_W0QQitemZ7359445948QQcategoryZ38100QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem<br><br>http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-FRANK-ZAPPA-GUITAR-BOOK_W0QQitemZ7358188710QQcategoryZ113499QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem<br><br> :'(    :'(    :'([/center][/quote]<br>I must clarify that Im talking Australian money...thats where im from...sorry shouldve said that earlier. $60 roughly translates to about $130 - $140 here...thats pretty cheap for the book. I have seen it selling for American $130 - $150.<br><br>$60 is very cheap though...must be in bad condition.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:24 pm 

[quote author=FROWNLAND link=board=concerts;num=1130865933;start=30#35 date=11/01/05 at 20:11:56]<br>I must clarify that Im talking Australian money...thats where im from...sorry shouldve said that earlier. $60 roughly translates to about $130 - $140 here...thats pretty cheap for the book. I have seen it selling for American $130 - $150.<br><br>$60 is very cheap though...must be in bad condition.[/quote]<br><br>Ohhhh......  Australian $'s - that makes a LOT more sense!   Thanks for the clarification!   ;D

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:27 pm 

Well I like Zappateers a lot, and I think trendmonger is crazy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:34 pm 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=concerts;num=1130865933;start=30#38 date=11/01/05 at 21:15:11]In light of finding out how few live shows you have seen, I'm reminded of Christian teenagers who preach about sexual abstinance.  You have made your decision and feel the need to "save" everyone else with your wisdom.  Like the sexually active teenagers, as a FZ live show listener I read your words and can realize how you achieved your point of view, but couldn't possibly sign up for it.<br>I think you really do understand how much FZ you need to hear.  I think that maybe its eating you up inside knowing that there are so many people out there enjoying tapes that would be for you like a Christmas Present.  But rather than lash out about it or "give in" and have a listen, you have applied a moral canvas to the situation, which allows you to be content while not actually being satisfied, again like the Christian teens.[/quote]<br><br>You might be on to something here Arkay...<br><br>Or maybe he actually does have some live tapes, but feel that<br>everyone else are "unworthy" to enjoy them??<br><br>...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:43 pm 

[quote author=Pachuco link=board=concerts;num=1130865933;start=30#39 date=11/01/05 at 21:27:31]Well I like Zappateers a lot, and I think trendmonger is crazy.[/quote]<br><br>A-fuckin-men!   ;D

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:42 pm 

Or then again, maybe he had 100's of tapes but smoked them all.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:21 pm 

Tendmonger,<br><br>You are proving to be a very negative element at the Zappa forum.<br><br> >:(<br><br>(original comments excised)

Post subject: re: polish nerd
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:48 pm 

[table][tr][td][quote author=idiot bastardson link=board=concerts;num=1130865933;start=30#40 date=11/01/05 at 21:34:12]<br>You might be on to something here Arkay...<br><br>Or maybe he actually does have some live tapes, <br>but feel that everyone else are "unworthy" to enjoy them?? ...[/quote]<br>[/td][td]<br>sounds like a jimmy swaggert complex <br>[center]Image[/center]<br>[center]repent 'n redeem[/center][/td][/tr][/table]<br><br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:58 pm 

[quote author=FROWNLAND link=board=concerts;num=1130865933;start=30#31 date=11/01/05 at 19:46:45]PIB I bet you could get a handsome $300 for that good condition copy of the Guitar one. I've seen tattered ones for $250 on e-bay and people have bought them.[/quote]<br><br>My Guitar songbook is in A++ 100% perfect condition!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:02 pm 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=concerts;num=1130865933;start=30#36 date=11/01/05 at 20:16:56]<br><br>Well, it seems that while there is a bit of the hypocrite in there (you admit to d/ling some things), but mostly its ignorance.  Not ignorance as an insult... just that you are entirely unaware of the contents of these shows.  You purposely ignore them by way of some sort of moral obligation, although you are aware of their availabilty.  Its kinda sad.  I've been an FZ fan since 1981 and thought I knew quite a bit about FZ, but not until the last few years did I get exposed to this quantity of material that is not available in any way by the official catelog.  I don't have anywhere near as many shows as JP or IB, but I've heard enough to know that I'm still missing alot of pieces to the FZ puzzle.  If you plan to continue writing about FZ, you really should be made more aware of the contents of his live shows.  Not that you need every single one, but there are certain ones that no FZ fan should be without, and its quite impossible for you to argue otherwise without having heard them yourself.  I know you have seen him live, and more times than me (only once) at that, but until you have heard some of the (short list of) things I listed plus some others that I didn't take time to list, I'm sorry to say that you are in the dark, not having experienced some essential FZ.<br>I'm sure you have read some of the books out there about FZ.  You must have noticed that almost all of the authors cite incidents, performances, conversation and antics that occurred during live shows.  I have no doubt that these people got their information, not from having attended them all, but from reviewing the tapes.  That is good journalism.  Not all the books are great of course, or are all the authors great at their craft, but at least the ones who cite these things in this way are people speaking from their own listening experience.<br>So, while I almost never agree with any of your "theories", I gotta say that you have some serious balls to tout these "theories" while still not having access to so many pieces of Conceptual Continuity.  In this I have to admit that I respect you for standing by your own personal morals in the face of them limiting your FZ musical education.  Its gotta feel bad to know that there are so many recordings of your favorite artist, but you must force yourself to choose not to listen.... its a shame.<br>Lastly, I don't know if you are speaking for DZ and/or Warren in this quote:<br><br>but that statement absolutely cannot be applied to all artists... and I dunno but its a guess that DZ doesn't want people speaking for him.<br>Oh yeah, just a minor note... I'm not a Zappateer, cuz I just don't have that much time to d/l, but it sure would be nice if I did.[/quote]<br><br>BRAVO!!!!!! BRA-FUCKING-VO!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:40 am 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:26 am 

[quote author=jaypfunk link=board=concerts;num=1130865933;start=45#47 date=11/03/05 at 08:40:33]Image[/quote]<br>God his shirts even brown. ::)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:28 am 

Folks much of what you say about why I have my opinions on the matter is not true. It's very good that people are thinking about the topic but some of the coments that users are making of me is not only way off base but extremly childish.<br><br>Maybe this is a way to attack me for my opinion on trading unofficial UADs. <br><br>A kinder and gentler Zappateers would not act in such a manner but I am starting to learn that some of these Zappateers not only trade in Unauthorized AUDs but also act well outside teh boundaries of what the Zappateers About Document attempts to define.<br><br>Come on this one voice who has an opinion is just trying to make people think about another viewpoint on trading unauthorized recordings.<br><br>So what do we get, <br>Most of it is a childish backlash. <br>Soem attempts for some to uderstand what they think I am talking about...........<br>Hey take it for what it is. <br>Beleive what you want to beleive but if you beleive in downloading unnoficial AUDs your best be is to do it and say why it is so nifty. And some are doing it. <br>And some are just well. Invovled in what seems is some personal vendetta.<br><br>If indeed teh Zapapteers find my opinions as an attack the best defense would be to stick to your guns on your policies instead of resorting to a 4th grade behavior.<br><br>If someone enjoys listening to to Unnoficial AUDs I am not here to say they should not be enjoying them.<br><br>Enjoy the hundres of unoficcial AUDs all you want. Listen to all these Unnoficial AUDs to the point where it is permanently implanted in every emotion you ahve for all I care.<br><br>And by no means am I sitting here wishing I could indulge in the practice of downloading and listening in the manner in which it is portrayed.<br><br>Hey I dabbled I tried a few. It just don't feel right to me.<br><br>If it is so worthy the Zapapteers should contact Gail Zappa and see if she wants to create some AUD Library.<br><br>Maybe all the time and energy could be put to good use. <br><br>Maybe you can get it all Authorized but fro now it is Unofficial.<br><br>I'll be the first to join the listening sessions.  <br><br>It is more important for me to keep the integrity of Official product. I am not saying i'll never listen to an Unauthorizes product it's just not something to take to an extreme for me. <br><br>The intergrity that I speak about is defined not by my standards and as much as I poot forth I must admitt that this is only my opinion.<br><br>The relationship I have with any given artist is something that I respect. I could go on and speak more about specific items, who what when why and where and what I know is planned but it would not be fair.<br>Let it be cryptic. Let it make you thionk about what you are doing. Do you really think Resolver and Brutality belongs out there for free trade? I don't know I just used that as an example.<br><br>Example: 1)<br>Start Up The Video He's watching it and he's using a Chicken To Measure It.<br><br>I mean if Dweezil Zappa had said to me Gary go ahead create a Grapevine for that video you took of my band doing G Spot Tornado would I share it with the community? Yes,  Of coarse I would. I would be happy to but that particular item is something that was documented for my personal use. I ensured Dweezil it would not be released or traded in any form. I have held up to that bargain for close to 15 years on that item. <br><br>Example 2:)<br>Shuts video and starts several Warren Cuccurullo Demos to Playing In Tongues<br><br>I'm listening to several Warrren Cuccurulo demos at this moment. Warren gave them to me personally. It is understood very clearly that this is for my personal use.<br>It should not and will not be shared, released or traded in any form. I hold up to that batgain.<br><br>Example # 3)<br>I am not saying who what when why or where. there are things out at Zappateers that should not be made for free trading as defined in Zappateers. As much as   <br>everyone may think all of this is O.K. there are specific items that do not belong there.<br><br>

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next