Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:06 pm 

i believe it was the last cycle. it may have been heather--long, brown hair, slightly sullen looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:22 pm 

there's a post-it note in my brain for that, thanks.
We're a whole cycle behind.
That lead singer off of that garage rock band The Vines does have asperger's, he's said it himself and was diagnosed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:28 pm 
Banned

If he was alive, he'd kick all your dumb fucking asses.

Jeezuz what a bunch of fucking retards.

Have you all been lobotomized?

You pullin' this shit out of your well worn assholes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:01 pm 

zombie1210 wrote:
Have you all been lobotomized?

What kind of a piss poor zombie has to ask a question like that? You can't track a brain? You must go hungry. Or you've been eating the other heads. Have you been eating the other heads? That could explain a lot; you're supposed to eat Dick's head, not dickheads. Fuckin' loser zombie cockmuncher. Jeezuz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:19 pm 

he might have been exposed to the asperger virus as a kid during a trip down to darmstadt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:36 am 

looks like captain negative disaproves of wild overtly fruitful imaginations.

annie
Quote:
I don't know if his IQ was ever tested, but many are comfortable calling him a genius

I don't believe in intelligence quotients as a measure of ingenuity, so even if he did pretty average, I still believe what makes him special can't be measured, and still genius.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:40 am 

dove_grey wrote:
...and i'm going to come clean here, i watched america's top model, and one of the contestant's had asperger's. pelt me now...

aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:
(It's okay Dovey....I watched it too)

SuzyBrieCheese wrote:
dove_grey, which cycle was that or contestant?! :oops:
yeah yeah guilty pleasure

It's okay, I forgive you all. :roll:

After all, I've watched American Idol and many stupidities over the years. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:22 pm 

shanjaya lover! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:23 pm 

dove_grey wrote:
shanjaya lover! :wink:

Oooooh, a little too young for me he he he :wink:

Post subject: Re: Holy crap!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:34 pm 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
Which is more crackpot of an idea: FZ was murdered or FZ suffered from asperger's?
It's that kind of statement that stifles any debate about anything in the World, ever.

Go you.

Post subject: Re: Holy crap!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:35 pm 

rumour man wrote:
Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
Which is more crackpot of an idea: FZ was murdered or FZ suffered from asperger's?
It's that kind of statement that stifles any debate about anything in the World, ever.

Go you.

Some people like to play mind games that aren't so fruitless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:15 am 

You've just got to look upon behavioral scientists a little more realistically:

Why did they become psychologists and psychiatrists to begin with?

This requires a serious diagnosis:

They felt they were whacky at some point early in life and the very best therapy for them wasn't seeing a shrink, it was becoming one! "Hmmm! Maybe if I hit the books and go to school for this I can un-fuck my own fucked-up head!" What a flock of loons graduate colleges and universities with such prestige and social stature every year!

And they write textbooks with more and more *disorders* and *syndromes* in them until they're stacked right up to the stratosphere. It sure keeps the business running, doesn't it? But if you doubt them you are diagnosed as paranoid for misperceiving helpful benevolence as a danger and a threat.

Oh, "Asperger's Syndrome"! It's been a flavor of the day for many, many days now. And I did hear the same said about Roger Waters just over two years ago.

OK, let's all register our Imaginary Mental Diseases right here!*

--Bat :roll:

*I'll be registering mine a little later. I just need a little extra time to sort through them all and get them in the right order.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:27 am 

Batchain1001 wrote:

They felt they were whacky at some point early in life and the very best therapy for them wasn't seeing a shrink, it was becoming one! "Hmmm! Maybe if I hit the books and go to school for this I can un-fuck my own fucked-up head!" What a flock of loons graduate colleges and universities with such prestige and social stature every year!

And they write textbooks with more and more *disorders* and *syndromes* in them until they're stacked right up to the stratosphere. It sure keeps the business running, doesn't it? But if you doubt them you are diagnosed as paranoid for misperceiving helpful benevolence as a danger and a threat.

Oh, "Asperger's Syndrome"! It's been a flavor of the day for many, many days now. And I did hear the same said about Roger Waters just over two years ago.

*I'll be registering mine a little later. I just need a little extra time to sort through them all and get them in the right order.

Gotcha Batty. I so totally agree. Endless categorization does not help people. It just puts a big barrier between those who have difficulties and help. And blows up the egos of the "professionals" who often are just not available for those who don't have the "scratch" or worse dreadfully wrong about their patients condition. Many are the victims.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:38 am 

sabrinaIII wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:

Gotcha Batty. I so totally agree. Endless categorization does not help people. It just puts a big barrier between those who have difficulties and help. And blows up the egos of the "professionals" who often are just not available for those who don't have the "scratch" or worse dreadfully wrong about their patients condition. Many are the victims.
That's sure a major bull's-eye, Sabby!

--Bat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:57 am 

Batchain1001 wrote:
sabrinaIII wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:

That's sure a major bull's-eye, Sabby!

--Bat

Divide and Conquer! Keep us fighting among ourselves so we avoid the real problems.... yeah, unfortunately, that seems to be the way of things.

As for psychiatrists being mentally ill themselves, well, my late uncle was a psychiatrist and a severe manic depressive. Pretty much ended his life prematurely a couple of years back... But as for my own shrinkydink, I dunno.... he looks just like Brett Favre, so he must be right as rain, eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:10 am 

Batchain1001 wrote:

I'll be serious now...........

As a "loon" studying behavioural sciences in third level education, I'm highly offended!

But I will tell you one thing for nothing though, just because it is a soft science doesn't mean they need to omit the science bit completely, I had exams in schizophrenia and O.C.Disorder with no backround into chemical medication, neuro-biological causes or brain chemistry. My study IS more holistic but I believe education in both is essential.

As for social standing, perhaps the U.S.A. heaps more prestige on their graduates moreso than here in Europe.........

The topic of loons, well, they'll have more understanding than "normal" untroubled persons of certain conditions if they have had experience themselves, just as long as it only affects their attitude or perspective where they tend to be more compassionate/ better bedside manner, it actually can be a good thing.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:27 pm 

Batchain1001 wrote:
They felt they were whacky at some point early in life and the very best therapy for them wasn't seeing a shrink, it was becoming one! "Hmmm! Maybe if I hit the books and go to school for this I can un-fuck my own fucked-up head!"

So go to school

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:40 am 

This has been a million dollar question in my family. I have Asperger's and a good amount of my family does as well. When I got more into Zappa's personal life, I noticed a few traits of his personality that are quite A.S. But don't get me wrong, he probably had a touch of it; no more than a thimble size of it so he got the good parts of it. Either way, Frank was a genius beyond his time and it might be a safe bet that he was on the spectrum.

annie_aronburg wrote:
Hi Everybody,

Since today seems to be a day for thought-provoking questions, I thought I'd pose this one.

Was FZ "on the spectrum"? He certainly displayed the classic symptoms

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

of a high-functioning savant,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... world.html

right down to the engineer father.

http://www.neurodiversity.com/computer_industry.html

Here's what Borat's cousin had to say on that topic :
http://www.autismresearchcentre.com/doc ... fReply.pdf

Quote:
1 in 8 of the fathers of children with autism is an engineer, whilst only 1 in 20 fathers of non-autistic children is an engineer. Considering the number of occupations available for them to go into, 1 in 8 seems to us to be a very high rate...

Despite what Gail asserts on Alex Jones' radio show, Frank Sr was in fact an engineer, mathematician and a scientist, not a merely a high school teacher as she stated.

Children with autism need strict discipline in order to thrive according to experts such as Temple Grandin.

Quote:
TG:I think there are basic social skills people need to learn. In my field there are lots of 40 and 50 year old head of maintenance engineers that are Aspergers and i think they're functioning because in the 50s, basic social skills were drilled into all kids. Things like manners, things like not being rude. And in today's society being looser, I think it really hurts the Aspergers children. I had table manners drilled into me as a child. I had things like please and thank you drilled into me as a child. And when I look back at that, that was really a good thing. And I'm seeing way too many Asperger kids who are total slobs. There is just no excuse for that. And you happen to look very nice. I want to commend you for that.

If I were a Zappa with a young child, I'd look into this before they end up like Carl did or worse yet in the clutches of the quacks of Holywood.

I really feel sorry for the Untrustable kidZ, as spoiled as they are.

Quote:
Dweezil was sitting at a table, unfortunately accompanied by his brother Ahmet, the lesser talented of the Zappa family, therefore acting like a dickhead throughout the whole interview. Apparently entitled to scream daft things like, "Beans rock the world" and other statements that might be of interest when your brain's replaced with a cauliflower. Frankly, he messed up parts of an interview that otherwise touched upon interesting subjects like their father's legacy and the fastest route to stardom.
I hadn't really noticed the other guys in the room, but they must have felt for me. One said, "Ahmet, why don't you shut the fuck up?" This, I learned later, was Mike Keneally, the former Zappa sideman. And well-respected, since Ahmet started staring in his beerglass, and the rest of the Dweezil interview went as planned.

Annie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:11 pm 

SuzyBrieCheese wrote:
As a "loon" studying behavioural sciences in third level education, I'm highly offended!

I didn't know Canadian Birds went to College.
Flying to Oxford......... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:42 pm 

You loonie, you. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:53 pm 

I'm not Canadian, but I'm not complaining either :P :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:30 pm 

Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
SuzyBrieCheese wrote:

I didn't know Canadian Birds went to College.
Flying to Oxford......... :wink:

Are you kidding?? Some loons even make it into politics!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:49 am 

swiftkicknow wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
They felt they were whacky at some point early in life and the very best therapy for them wasn't seeing a shrink, it was becoming one! "Hmmm! Maybe if I hit the books and go to school for this I can un-fuck my own fucked-up head!"

So go to school
Isn't it overdue for you stuff your dick up your ass and introduce it your head?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:42 am 

SuzyBrieCheese wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:

I'll be serious now...........

But I will tell you one thing for nothing though, just because it is a soft science doesn't mean they need to omit the science bit completely, I had exams in schizophrenia and O.C.Disorder with no backround into chemical medication, neuro-biological causes or brain chemistry. My study IS more holistic but I believe education in both is essential.

As for social standing, perhaps the U.S.A. heaps more prestige on their graduates moreso than here in Europe.........

The topic of loons, well, they'll have more understanding than "normal" untroubled persons of certain conditions if they have had experience themselves, just as long as it only affects their attitude or perspective where they tend to be more compassionate/ better bedside manner, it actually can be a good thing.......
My apologies to (almost) anyone I've offended, but because it's not that perfect world no one possesses anything remotely like a guaranteed right never to be offended.

So you've had exams in schizophrenia and obsessive-compulsive disorder having no familiarity with neurology or psychopharm@cology? That's become common but it's still bizarre. Well, it's an industry and the keyword there is efficiency. Not efficacy, but efficiency from a bottom-line, business perspective.

(There is a very dark humor visiting people in the locked unit of a psychiatric hospital and only being able to distinguish those on the "staff" from those designated as "clients" by the badge that says staff on it along with an I.D. code. A very dark humor.)

--Bat

Post subject: Genius?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:09 pm 

I'm sure I've read in one of the many biographies of Frank that I own
that he actually WAS a genius according to I.Q. tests.
Even his father was quoted as saying Frank was a genius!

Also, in the late 70's when Genie Becker was an interviewer for
"The New Music" (a Canadian music news program at the time)
she was interviewing Frank while he was in a limo and he said to her
after she made some difficult comment to him:
"I am a genius but don't hold it against me!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next