Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Genius?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:47 am 

jeddy wrote:
I'm sure I've read in one of the many biographies of Frank that I own
that he actually WAS a genius according to I.Q. tests.
Even his father was quoted as saying Frank was a genius!

Also, in the late 70's when Genie Becker was an interviewer for
"The New Music" (a Canadian music news program at the time)
she was interviewing Frank while he was in a limo and he said to her
after she made some difficult comment to him:
"I am a genius but don't hold it against me!"

Then she should have said: "What would you like me to hold against you?"

(I"m sorry, I couldn't help it)

Post subject: against
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:30 pm 

How 'bout a Burnt Weenie Sandwich?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:36 pm 

I think you'll find it's spelt Assburgers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:53 am 

Cruisin' for Assburgers?

Post subject: No Ass Burgers
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:47 am 

No fucking way Frank had Asperger's. I spent three hours with Frank doing an interview. His attention span and ability to relate socially were perfectly normal.

Just because he was brilliant doesn't mean he had to be fucked up. He wasn't. He was both brilliant and down to earth, which made him damn near unique.

Big Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:21 am 

O.K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:39 am 

asperger's syndrom is not always necessarily a bad thing.
It is believed by some in the medical community
that every person has some degree of autism.
It is just manifested in different ways from the high
functioning genius person to the negetively affected.
It is quite possible that many well known artists
and musicians have this syndrom and it has positively
affected their lives. who's to say? I don't fucking know
or care THAT I DO KNOW.

http://thesurfonics.com/index.html

Post subject: Re: No Ass Burgers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:31 pm 

BigLarry wrote:
No fucking way Frank had Asperger's. I spent three hours with Frank doing an interview. His attention span and ability to relate socially were perfectly normal.

Just because he was brilliant doesn't mean he had to be fucked up. He wasn't. He was both brilliant and down to earth, which made him damn near unique.

Big Larry

Shit I think I've been blinded.....try red next time why don't cha....... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:10 pm 

muziko wrote:
asperger's syndrom is not always necessarily a bad thing.
It is believed by some in the medical community
that every person has some degree of autism.
It is just manifested in different ways from the high
functioning genius person to the negetively affected.
It is quite possible that many well known artists
and musicians have this syndrom and it has positively
affected their lives. who's to say? I don't fucking know
or care THAT I DO KNOW.
That's sort of dumb in a way. Everybody has some degree of autism because essentially you can never communicate with anybody perfectly, and that's what autism is, in a really short short version: communication difficulties. it's more complex than that of course. I think it's a dumb idea that "everybody has a little autism." It's like "everybody has a little cancer."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:30 am 

in no shape or form did Zappa have any variation of autism. & anyone who thinks so, tho' that may be their right, needs to subscribe to a course in logic...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:54 pm 

zzyrch wrote:
in no shape or form did Zappa have any variation of autism. & anyone who thinks so, tho' that may be their right, needs to subscribe to a course in logic...
Just imagine the results of taking a course in formal and symbolic logic then having to go to a sick-olgy class!

OMFG! :shock:

--Bat :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:10 am 

zzyrch wrote:

I sincerely think he had asperger's (or something else in the spectrum).

Yes, e was married but he spent most of his time away from his family, alone in his basement doing the one thing he liked in an obsessive manner.
Many of his bandmembers commented on his cold attitude toward his musicians.
In a 1-on-1 situation (such as an interview) most aspies can manage to interact but if there are more people involved in a social situation (ie. familydinner on a holiday) he preferred to back out (in his own words: 'they have to drag me out of the studio kicking and screaming and I have to sit down and talk to people, I don't like to talk, it feels like exercise to me').
He had a few interests (music, film, politics and human behavior), he knew A LOT on those topics.
He was a controlfreak having to control his immediate surroundings (check any backstage footage of him and his bands).
All this sounds very autistic to me, sure he could communicate but he was better at it in his (very detailed) music.
He also had to do stuff his own way, which is a preferred attitude for autistic people.

Post subject: More than likely...
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:19 pm 

I'm thinking more than likely, it makes logical sense if he was on the spectrum. Here's the deal, Asperger's/Autism isn't just a broad brush though. I was diagnosed when I was about 15. Information on Asperger's was scarce and being black with Asperger's was damn near unimaginable. Zappa's esoteric knowledge and even the complexity of his music really fit the profile of someone on the autism spectrum.

I've actually joked that to experience the thought process of someone on the autistic spectrum, listen to Zappa's '74 band. Then you're on the right track.

unclemeat69 wrote:
zzyrch wrote:

Yes, e was married but he spent most of his time away from his family, alone in his basement doing the one thing he liked in an obsessive manner.
In a 1-on-1 situation (such as an interview) most aspies can manage to interact but if there are more people involved in a social situation (ie. familydinner on a holiday) he preferred to back out (in his own words: 'they have to drag me out of the studio kicking and screaming and I have to sit down and talk to people, I don't like to talk, it feels like exercise to me').
He had a few interests (music, film, politics and human behavior), he knew A LOT on those topics.
He was a controlfreak having to control his immediate surroundings (check any backstage footage of him and his bands).
All this sounds very autistic to me, sure he could communicate but he was better at it in his (very detailed) music.
He also had to do stuff his own way, which is a preferred attitude for autistic people.

Post subject: Re: More than likely...
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:16 am 

GuitarplayainMD wrote:
I'm thinking more than likely, it makes logical sense if he was on the spectrum. Here's the deal, Asperger's/Autism isn't just a broad brush though. I was diagnosed when I was about 15. Information on Asperger's was scarce and being black with Asperger's was damn near unimaginable. Zappa's esoteric knowledge and even the complexity of his music really fit the profile of someone on the autism spectrum.

I've actually joked that to experience the thought process of someone on the autistic spectrum, listen to Zappa's '74 band. Then you're on the right track.

unclemeat69 wrote:
zzyrch wrote:

I'd like something a little more detailed than just, "...listen to Zappa's '74 band," GuitarplaynainMD. Nail down some specifics if you'd be so kind.

--Bat

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:14 pm 

He didn't have Aspergers.

He didn't have any problem communicating with people in any medium. He just didn't waste time trying to communicate with people he didn't think he had anything in common with.

He nearly ran for president for fucks sake.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:42 pm 

Quilt wrote:
He didn't have Aspergers...He nearly ran for president for fucks sake.

Oh....he had Alzheimer's disease !

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:43 am 

from what i understand the basis of the so called autism spectrum is this; we all, that means everybody has behavioral characteristics that fall into the realm of autism. Whether a person is labeled autistic depends on the degree of that behavior. Like some people with autism do not get metaphoric speech like some people on this forum. You say that "drives me up the wall" and they start looking confusedly at the wall and don't understand. One person doesn't like loud music where as a person with more severe autism cannot tolerate it. It literally sends their nervous system into trauma. Some people with autism have such sensitive hearing they can hear everyone's heart beating in a room and can't be in crowds of people. Or someone likes cooked carrots and their mom always cuts them in circular slices. They go somewhere and the carrots are cut square, that would throw them off. they maybe very visually oriented. Or they may not be able to organise information. i don't know whether to buy all of this but that is some of the scientific background for this type of "spectrum" thinking. like the guy who had to have the certain color m&ms removed.

http://thesurfonics.com/index.html

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:11 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
Quilt wrote:
He didn't have Aspergers...He nearly ran for president for fucks sake.

Oh....he had Alzheimer's disease !
Don't you mean "Old Timer's Disease", doug? (I had an aunt who said it that way but she was senile.) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

--Bat

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:25 am 

muziko wrote:
from what i understand the basis of the so called autism spectrum is this; we all, that means everybody has behavioral characteristics that fall into the realm of autism. Whether a person is labeled autistic depends on the degree of that behavior. Like some people with autism do not get metaphoric speech like some people on this forum. You say that "drives me up the wall" and they start looking confusedly at the wall and don't understand. One person doesn't like loud music where as a person with more severe autism cannot tolerate it. It literally sends their nervous system into trauma. Some people with autism have such sensitive hearing they can hear everyone's heart beating in a room and can't be in crowds of people. Or someone likes cooked carrots and their mom always cuts them in circular slices. They go somewhere and the carrots are cut square, that would throw them off. they maybe very visually oriented. Or they may not be able to organise information. i don't know whether to buy all of this but that is some of the scientific background for this type of "spectrum" thinking. like the guy who had to have the certain color m&ms removed.

David Lee Roth autistic?

I doubt it :D

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:46 pm 

Quilt wrote:

David Lee Roth autistic?

It's some kind of I need constant attention disorder.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:46 pm 

Quilt wrote:
He didn't have Aspergers.

He didn't have any problem communicating with people in any medium. He just didn't waste time trying to communicate with people he didn't think he had anything in common with.

He nearly ran for president for fucks sake.

Autistic people can be politicians too, even presidents
calvin2hikers wrote:
Quilt wrote:

David Lee Roth autistic?

It's some kind of I need constant attention disorder.

Wasn't he diagnosed with Lead Singer's Disease?

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:15 am 

David Walley probably believes FZ had Asperger's - in that interview on KUR he fixated on Frank's feelings of failure and his apparent struggle to converse with all people (which he was able to use as part of his intimidatory technique!)

But...if Frank was an undiagnosed sufferer of "asparagus syndrome", then...I must be! I have the right/wrong personality traits...and I'm (kinda sorta) proud of it!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:07 am 

From the 23 April 1975 lecture:
Quote:
Q: Do you still have any animosity towards David Walley and his biography?
FZ I wouldn't say that it's animosity, but I wouldn't say that it's too enthralling either, because I think that it's a bad piece of work, and I hate to see my name connected with it. I asked him not to write the book, because I didn't think that he could do a good job on it, and he said that he already had a contract to do the book and that he was going to go ahead on it whether I cooperated or not. And so it puts you in a position where somebody is going to write the story of your life, you don't think that they can do it and there's no way you can stop him from doing it. So you have a choice: you can either not talk to him anymore, or you can give him some interviews, and try to give him some information he can use. But what happened at the time Walley interviewed me, is he'd come over to my house, he'd ask me a question and I got to answer it, and then he'd start talking about his father. I mean I spent two or three nights listening him telling how his father sent him to military school, and him comparing me to his father, and I'm going "Jeeesus!"
And then he would do numbers like he'd bring his girlfriend over to my house, with licks like: Yeah, you know, I'm going up to interview Frank Zappa, you wanna come along?" And all that kind of shit, And I'd sit there like "Ngngng..." And then, when he had finally finished the book, he sent me the galley proofs, you know the galley proof is the book before it's a book, except that it wasn't. He sent me some printed pages, but there was already 10,000 finished books sitting in a warehouse some place, and there was no way that I could have corrected any of his errors. So it was just an unfortunate thing that happens to someone in show business. And when you're in showbusiness, and somebody comes up to you and says:
"Hey I'm gonna do a book about your life," you just tell him: "GO FUCK YOURSELF!"

(Full text here)

I wouldn't rely too much on what David Walley thought of Frank. The idea I get from FZ's interviews is that he had such a dislike for people wasting his time, that he truly managed to get them up the curtains. That Classic Interviews bootleg CD (which is awful) shows the same thing. He immortalized such people in, say, Bobby Brown Goes Down. But there's plenty other interviews, on video and otherwise, where FZ appears as an intelligent, charming and witty man.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:06 pm 

Aspergers ain't a disease, an inflammation, a shortcoming or, indeed, anything to be ashamed of or embarassed by. Some would even take exception to it being described as a 'syndrome'. They'd rather it be viewed as essentially a different way of thinking that can lead to things like the abilty to 'think outside the box'. The brain is a pretty complex piece of meat with a lot of fancy features. It's not really a stretch to see that a little custom wiring could enable some of these features whilst disabling others. For example, a strong mechanical aptitude at the expense of weak communication skills (or interest in communication, for that matter).

Part of the problem is that some people need to apply labels to everyone and everything they meet. Labels are for cd's, homemade preserves and permanent records, not people.

And I'm sorry, but I think that label 'Aspy' is an especially silly one. :roll:

Miasma!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:13 am 

Aspy is Aspy's label, wherever she may be. I hope she's all-right.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next