Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Stephen Hawking & FZ
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:17 am
Posts: 849
I notice FZ dedicates his book to Stephen Hawking.
Did they ever meet? Do we have any info of Frank on Hawking?

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9605
steve also shows up in the yellow shark dedications
    cc:
  • a cold dark matter
  • trance-fusion
  • light is all that matters
  • ask dr. stupid

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:03 pm
Posts: 523
Location: Australia
I'm also interested in this. Did FZ read some of Hawking's books? I've never read him mentioning him in any interviews. I also remember reading FZ saying that he never read books other than when he was quite young.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:38 am
Posts: 304
Location: from a garage in Canoga Park
Nack Blapkin wrote:
I'm also interested in this. Did FZ read some of Hawking's books? I've never read him mentioning him in any interviews. I also remember reading FZ saying that he never read books other than when he was quite young.
Yer, cos they made him tired :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:24 pm
Posts: 5294
Location: somewhere in West Virginia
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
steve also shows up in the yellow shark dedications
    cc:
  • ask dr. stupid


This is actually a reference to Ren & Stimpy, but you may be right as well.

_________________
Faster'n a three-peckered owl!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:28 pm
Posts: 2674
Location: in the tiny dirt somewhere
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
steve also shows up in the yellow shark dedications
    cc:
  • a cold dark matter
  • trance-fusion
  • light is all that matters
  • ask dr. stupid



    also:
  • Finding Higgs' Boson


Last week I saw an interview with Stephen Hawking. It was conducted by Charlie Rose, who does a show for PBS. They spoke briefly about music, and Hawking mentioned an interest in Wagner (he also bemoaned the fact that his speech synthesizer can't pronounce "Wagner" correctly).

There was no mention of Zappa...

_________________
_________________Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 3860
Location: Attempt the absurd to achieve the impossible
[quote="MentalTossFlycoon]Hawking mentioned an interest in Wagner (he also bemoaned the fact that his speech synthesizer can't pronounce "Wagner" correctly). [/quote]

Can't?! CAN'T?! Pffft. Some genius he is. :roll:

http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php enter: vaugnir

:wink:

_________________
“The person who stands up and says, 'This is stupid,' either is asked to behave or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful 'Yes, we know! Isn't it terrific!" -Frank Zappa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15118
swiftkicknow wrote:
[


You should shoot him an e-mail! He'd be ecstatic.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 3860
Location: Attempt the absurd to achieve the impossible
calvin2hikers wrote:
swiftkicknow wrote:
MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
Hawking mentioned an interest in Wagner (he also bemoaned the fact that his speech synthesizer can't pronounce "Wagner" correctly).


Can't?! CAN'T?! Pffft. Some genius he is. :roll:

http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php enter: vaugnir

:wink:


You should shoot him an e-mail! He'd be ecstatic.


Oh, he never listens to anything I have to say anymore. He thinks he's the center of the universe.

_________________
“The person who stands up and says, 'This is stupid,' either is asked to behave or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful 'Yes, we know! Isn't it terrific!" -Frank Zappa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15118
swiftkicknow wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
swiftkicknow wrote:
MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
Hawking mentioned an interest in Wagner (he also bemoaned the fact that his speech synthesizer can't pronounce "Wagner" correctly).


Can't?! CAN'T?! Pffft. Some genius he is. :roll:

http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php enter: vaugnir

:wink:


You should shoot him an e-mail! He'd be ecstatic.


Oh, he never listens to anything I have to say anymore. He thinks he's the id you ever see that Family Guy episode where Hawking finds a woman just like himself and they are sitting in their underwear going back and forth in that robot voice "Ooh, baby" center of the universe.


http://www.jibjab.com/view/145602


Just click View It.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:17 am
Posts: 849
What sort of moron would make a joke out SH let alone a crap cartoon.

I'd like to see any one of you guys last 1 hour as SH.
Think about it, he can get 4 words a minute out using the last muscle he has access too in his face and he writes immense works on the most complicated subject known to man.

That deserve respect, deep respect!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 19173
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Ringo wrote:
What sort of moron would make a joke out SH let alone a crap cartoon.

I'd like to see any one of you guys last 1 hour as SH.
Think about it, he can get 4 words a minute out using the last muscle he has access too in his face and he writes immense works on the most complicated subject known to man.

That deserve respect, deep respect!

So great intelligence means no sense of humour? In that case, I'll stay just plain slightly-above-average.

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 3860
Location: Attempt the absurd to achieve the impossible
calvin2hikers wrote:
swiftkicknow wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
swiftkicknow wrote:
MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
Hawking mentioned an interest in Wagner (he also bemoaned the fact that his speech synthesizer can't pronounce "Wagner" correctly).


Can't?! CAN'T?! Pffft. Some genius he is. :roll:

http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php enter: vaugnir

:wink:


You should shoot him an e-mail! He'd be ecstatic.


Oh, he never listens to anything I have to say anymore. He thinks he's the id you ever see that Family Guy episode where Hawking finds a woman just like himself and they are sitting in their underwear going back and forth in that robot voice "Ooh, baby" center of the universe.


http://www.jibjab.com/view/145602


Just click View It.


I've been misquoted! I knew nothing of the Family Guy episode! Damn you Calvin! :evil:

Image

CAL-VIN!
(That's the closest pic I could find of Dave yelling at Alvin)

_________________
“The person who stands up and says, 'This is stupid,' either is asked to behave or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful 'Yes, we know! Isn't it terrific!" -Frank Zappa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:17 am
Posts: 849
just plain doug wrote:
Ringo wrote:
What sort of moron would make a joke out SH let alone a crap cartoon.

I'd like to see any one of you guys last 1 hour as SH.
Think about it, he can get 4 words a minute out using the last muscle he has access too in his face and he writes immense works on the most complicated subject known to man.

That deserve respect, deep respect!

So great intelligence means no sense of humour? In that case, I'll stay just plain slightly-above-average.


This has nothing to do with humour because it's not even funny.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5951
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
calvin2hikers wrote:
swiftkicknow wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
swiftkicknow wrote:
MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
Hawking mentioned an interest in Wagner (he also bemoaned the fact that his speech synthesizer can't pronounce "Wagner" correctly).


Can't?! CAN'T?! Pffft. Some genius he is. :roll:

http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php enter: vaugnir

:wink:


You should shoot him an e-mail! He'd be ecstatic.


Oh, he never listens to anything I have to say anymore. He thinks he's the center of the universe.


Did you ever see that Family Guy episode where Hawking finds a woman just like himself and they are sitting in their underwear going back and forth in that robot voice "Ooh, baby".

http://www.jibjab.com/view/145602


Just click View It.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 3860
Location: Attempt the absurd to achieve the impossible
Hey Poly, your stapler is slightly off from being at a right angle to your deskedge. :shock: Your tie is a little crooked, too. :shock:

_________________
“The person who stands up and says, 'This is stupid,' either is asked to behave or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful 'Yes, we know! Isn't it terrific!" -Frank Zappa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 19173
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Ringo wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
Ringo wrote:
What sort of moron would make a joke out SH let alone a crap cartoon.

I'd like to see any one of you guys last 1 hour as SH.
Think about it, he can get 4 words a minute out using the last muscle he has access too in his face and he writes immense works on the most complicated subject known to man.

That deserve respect, deep respect!

So great intelligence means no sense of humour? In that case, I'll stay just plain slightly-above-average.


This has nothing to do with humour because it's not even funny.

I made that reply from work, so I wasn't able to actually watch the video clip before posting it. However, now that I am at home, I just saw it for the first time.
My apologies Ringo, but I laughed out loud when it got to the bedroom part. So I stand by what I originally posted. I have a suspicion, though, that it would be a waste of time for the two of us to watch "South Park" together, too. :lol:

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2002 4:25 am
Posts: 3473
Location: SANTA MARIA,CA USA
i think sh has a pretty good sense of humor and can poke fun at himself. after all, he did lend his voice to a simpsons episode. :lol:

_________________
One two, buckle my shoe!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 3860
Location: Attempt the absurd to achieve the impossible
And to their toy series.

Image

_________________
“The person who stands up and says, 'This is stupid,' either is asked to behave or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful 'Yes, we know! Isn't it terrific!" -Frank Zappa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 9801
Location: EINDHOVEN
swiftkicknow wrote:
And to their toy series.

Image


I want one! I want one! :)

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 3860
Location: Attempt the absurd to achieve the impossible
BBP wrote:
I want one! I want one! :)


haha! Yeah, I did, too. I tried to get one when they came out. They were hard to find and only produced for a short while. Now you have to look for them on Ebay. The prices are going to be high, but I'm sure they are still out there. :lol:

_________________
“The person who stands up and says, 'This is stupid,' either is asked to behave or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful 'Yes, we know! Isn't it terrific!" -Frank Zappa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stephen Hawking & FZ
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 3:15 am
Posts: 91
Location: Toronto, Canada
The voice of Crab Grass Baby on Thingfish sounds a lot like the voice out of Stephen Hawking's speech synthesizer. I've always wondered if it was him and if 'yes' then this is perhaps one of the reasons why FZ thanked him in the TRFZB? (there is no credit on Thingfish for who the voice of Crab Grass Baby belongs to).

I do know that Pink Floyd used samples from Dr. Hawking in 'Keep Talking' so this woudn't be a first for him. On the other hand, I also thought that Dr. Hawking had contributed his speech samples to Radiohead's 'Fitter Happier' but this was not the case.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 pm
Posts: 643
Location: ger-money
dove_grey wrote:
i think sh has a pretty good sense of humor and can poke fun at himself. after all, he did lend his voice to a simpsons episode. :lol:

There is one episode of star trek the next generation, where Data plays *SPAM* with Newton, Einstein and Hawking. U can guess, which character has been there in real:
Imagehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjYNHd4UE38

_________________
god, what a cheap bubble machine!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stephen Hawking & FZ
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5951
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
Your kidding me? An episode of Next Generation I haven't watched? How did that happen?

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: re: stephen hawking & fz
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9605
> date: fri, 12 sep 2008 03:10:01 +0000
> from:
slime.o @ i.l.blank.com
> to: s.w.hawking @ damtp.cam.ac.u k
> subject: frank zappa questions
>
>
> hi steve,
>
> the real frank zappa book, one of the only books written by zappa, is dedicated to you [and 2
> others]…did you ever meet or talk with frank zappa ¿ if so, can you remember approximately
> when, and any details of what you talked about
>
> are you familiar with his music ¿ he almost 100 albums in his catalog; one of the more
> recent is called trance-fusion, an instrumental album of guitar solos completed by zappa
> before he died... some of the titles have reference to physics: finding higgs boson, a
> cold dark matter, light is all that matters
>
> regards
>
> [slime.o]

>-----------------------------------------------------------

date: 12 sep 2008 04:10:06 +0100
from:
s.w.hawking @ damtp.cam .ac. uk
to: slime.o @ int.left.blank.com
subject: your recent email to professor hawking

thank you for your email to professor hawking

as you can imagine, prof. hawking receives many such every day. he very much
regrets that due to the severe limitations he works under, and the enormous number
of requests he receives, he is unable to compose a reply to every message, and we
do not have the resources to deal with many of the specific scientific enquiries and
theories we receive

please see the website http://www.hawking.org.uk for more
information about professor hawking, his life and his work.

yours faithfully

sam blackburn
technical assistant to professor s w hawking ch cbe frs
department of applied mathematics & theoretical physics, university of cambridge, cb3 0wa
united kingdom

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group