Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:30 pm 

I know from being a fan of Frank's since Freak Out was released that two of his favorite classical composers were Stravinsky and Bartok.  I'm curious, from anyone who might know, what Frank's opinion was of Gyorgy Ligeti, who I know lists Bartok as one of his key influences.  Can Gail  or anyone shed any light on this?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:16 am 

I don't know about Ligeti, but I know he liked Webern. And Bulgarian folk music. Both things are very, very nice!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:04 am 

While we're on the topic, I am curious to know why Zappa listed Roger Sessions as one of his influences in the liner notes for Freak Out. Sessions is one of my personal favorites, but I can't see what Zappa learned from Sessions' music. After all, Sessions staunchly defended the European musical tradition, was indifferent to folk and popular music, included virtually no humor or satire in his music, and composed almost exclusively in classical forms.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:14 am 

You didnt mention Edgar Varese, he was a HUGE influence on his classical style.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:13 am 

One of his favorite composers was Conlon Nancarrow. I opened a thread about him a few months ago, it must be somewhere on this forum.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:02 pm 

[table][tr][td]Image[/td][/tr][tr][td][center]Image[/center][/td][/tr][tr][td][center]hit parader, aug-67[/center][/td][/tr][/table]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:13 pm 

Funny you should ask about the Ligeti influence. I was recently listening to the Six Bagatelles For Wind Quintet, and no.3 made me think of G-Spot Tornado.

I've heard Webern's name mentioned in interviews, but I don't recall FZ ever mentioning Schoenberg. The first time I heard Five Pieces For Orchestra, the first name that popped into my head was Zappa. I'm sure FZ was listening to this stuff in his formative years.

I believe Takemitsu was another favorite.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:44 pm 

Star Thrower wrote:
[...]I don't recall FZ ever mentioning Schoenberg. The first time I heard Five Pieces For Orchestra, the first name that popped into my head was Zappa. I'm sure FZ was listening to this stuff in his formative years.

frank zappa (1992) wrote:
frank zappa: I've only heard four or five pieces by schoenberg that I can enjoy listening to. there's the septet, and then there's the suite of pieces for orchestra, the one that has "summer morning by the lake" as one of the movements. I think that's really nice. and begleitungsmusik is a parody of motion picture music. I like that. but there's very little else by schoenberg that I appreciate.

link