Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:03 am
Posts: 897
Location: Birmingham Warwickshire UK
Today is the 20th anniversary of Frank Zappa performing for the last time live in concert on this planet [Genoa, Italy].

Who is the youngest person alive now to have seen him in concert?

I am now 46 and I saw him when I was 26. Surely there are Forum members younger than me!

_________________
A Blanket in my Muesli. A Blanket in my what??

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15000
There was an 8 year old (I'm guessing, but that has to be close) at the ZPZ show I went to.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:56 pm
Posts: 4716
I took my son who was 10 to see ZPZ but I think there was one kid younger.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:41 am
Posts: 922
Location: Kissimmee, FL
I don't believe that diplomatic is including ZPZ in the question......just the real deal. So, 46 is the number. Or was.....I'm 44 and saw Frank as far back as 1980. So there's got to be younger out there.

_________________
"Why do people say "Grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding"! -- Betty White


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:49 pm
Posts: 16
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany
Saw him in1980 for the first time, I was 14 back then.
Last time was '88 in cologne then being 22.
So I seem to be the youngest for the moment. ;-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:29 am
Posts: 5041
I am sure FZ was being FZ when his kids were infants.

_________________
Trendmonger's Moment Of Clarity

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18913
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Trendmonger wrote:
I am sure FZ was being FZ when his kids were infants.

I thought FZ was being Ed Sanders, when his kids were infants.
At least he wasn't being Paul Reubens!

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:07 pm
Posts: 5691
Location: Closer than I Appear
just plain doug wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:
I am sure FZ was being FZ when his kids were infants.

I thought FZ was being Ed Sanders, when his kids were infants.
At least he wasn't being Paul Reubens!


Reubens and the (Gism) Jets?

_________________
Let's hear it again for the London Philharmonic Orchestra!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:29 am
Posts: 5041
feetlightup wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:
I am sure FZ was being FZ when his kids were infants.

I thought FZ was being Ed Sanders, when his kids were infants.
At least he wasn't being Paul Reubens!


Reubens and the (Gism) Jets?


I think you get the point. Frank was always being Frank and his kids got to see his process at a very early age. Be it in the house or at the shows the kids were around. There is even films with the kids in the background with Frank at work and we all know Frank was working just about all the time. You can see Frank's ethic has rubbed off on DZ. DZs work ethic seems quite intense but fortunately I think DZ may have a little time budgeted on rare occasions where he has some quality time for his family and a little golf.

DZ talks of being at shows as a young kid being right by the amps or pa. Not sure but it may be mentioned in the QuAUDIOPHILIAc liner notes.

_________________
Trendmonger's Moment Of Clarity

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6937
Location: South wales
Image

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Last edited by cleon on Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9594
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15000
Nice pics, I'll add them.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:03 am
Posts: 897
Location: Birmingham Warwickshire UK
Its clear Franks kids (possibly his nieces and nephews) are the youngest so far - Diva must be 28 or 29 by now, and can claim to have seen FZ live.

But who amongst the general public was taken to an FZ gig 20 or more years ago. I would be surprised if there is anyone who was 10 years or less in 1988.

This 20th anniversary of FZ last being seen live thing has come as a bit of a shock to me.

Slime has posted the Life magazine Art Kane photo - that was 1968, so those kids are in their early '40s. They can claim (according to Roy E) that they micurated on the Mothers live. That must be the first and only time.

_________________
A Blanket in my Muesli. A Blanket in my what??

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5917
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
Hey Slime, what's the story with Jimmy Carl Black's face being painted over in that picture?

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:29 am
Posts: 5041
cleon wrote:
Image


I believe this photo is from one of the Feb 88' Beacon Theater shows where some asshole of a fan dropped a beer on the mixing console and the entire PA system went out. I am not a Chicago Cubs fan but this one ranks up there with the asshole fan awards.

Some other first awards go to whoever that guy was that threw Frank off the stage and Mark Chapman for his actions on 12/08/80. ya really have to wonder if some people are born with a disposition to be an asshole or just forget about social hygiene. Hey don't get me wrong Killing John Lennon was a bit more than a social social hygiene problem but I think you get the point.

Oh I'm sorry it was not me it was the Ball.
Oh I'm sorry it was not me it was the Beer.
Oh I'm sorry it was not me Frank was making eyes at my girlfriend.
Oh I'm sorry it was not me it was the CIA.
Oh ... Vafancullo, Italy just won the world cup


Stay tuned up next in the asshole Olympics is a Jesus freak who chops up people with an ax on the Staten Island Ferry.

_________________
Trendmonger's Moment Of Clarity

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18913
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Trendmonger wrote:
...ya really have to wonder if some people are born with a disposition to be an asshole...

Nah...that's way too easy, Trendy. Give me a challenge!

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:50 am
Posts: 807
attribusiakum wrote:
Saw him in1980 for the first time, I was 14 back then.
Last time was '88 in cologne then being 22.
So I seem to be the youngest for the moment. ;-)


I was 17 in '88 when I saw one of the Beacon shows.

I'm in the lead now!

What do I win?

_________________
The fun hasn't beginned yet, uh, later on apparently The Mothers are gonna hand out the bingo cards and everything, you know


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15000
just plain doug wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:
...ya really have to wonder if some people are born with a disposition to be an asshole...

Nah...that's way too easy, Trendy. Give me a challenge!


It's like you saying "I wonder if someone has a disposition to be a Canadian...."

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9594
polydigm wrote:
Hey slime, what's the story with Jimmy Carl Black's face being painted over in that picture?


from some guy's blog:

http://standanddeliver.blogs.com/dombo/ ... index.html

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5917
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
polydigm wrote:
Hey slime, what's the story with Jimmy Carl Black's face being painted over in that picture?


from some guy's blog:

http://standanddeliver.blogs.com/dombo/ ... index.html

That is scary, seeing one my home nation's biggest scumbags, Peter Costello, in that context.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6937
Location: South wales
Trendmonger wrote:
cleon wrote:
Image


I believe this photo is from one of the Feb 88' Beacon Theater shows where some asshole of a fan dropped a beer on the mixing console and the entire PA system went out. I am not a Chicago Cubs fan but this one ranks up there with the asshole fan awards.

Some other first awards go to whoever that guy was that threw Frank off the stage and Mark Chapman for his actions on 12/08/80. ya really have to wonder if some people are born with a disposition to be an asshole or just forget about social hygiene. Hey don't get me wrong Killing John Lennon was a bit more than a social social hygiene problem but I think you get the point.

Oh I'm sorry it was not me it was the Ball.
Oh I'm sorry it was not me it was the Beer.
Oh I'm sorry it was not me Frank was making eyes at my girlfriend.
Oh I'm sorry it was not me it was the CIA.
Oh ... Vafancullo, Italy just won the world cup


Stay tuned up next in the asshole Olympics is a Jesus freak who chops up people with an ax on the Staten Island Ferry.
Good guess it is 1988 :?

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:57 pm
Posts: 1161
Location: Washington DC Burbs
i was 13 when i saw frank the first time. it was 1981 and my very first concert.
8)

_________________
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"- Frank Zappa
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 04, 2003 2:54 am
Posts: 2904
Location: Sydney, OZ
debutante_daisy wrote:
i was 13 when i saw frank the first time. it was 1981 and my very first concert.
8)


That explains it, then :wink:

What a doosey of a first concert!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:57 pm
Posts: 1161
Location: Washington DC Burbs
Uncle Bernie wrote:
debutante_daisy wrote:
i was 13 when i saw frank the first time. it was 1981 and my very first concert.
8)


That explains it, then :wink:

What a doosey of a first concert!


it was a life changing event!

_________________
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"- Frank Zappa
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 3565
debutante_daisy wrote:
Uncle Bernie wrote:
debutante_daisy wrote:
i was 13 when i saw frank the first time. it was 1981 and my very first concert.
8)


That explains it, then :wink:

What a doosey of a first concert!


it was a life changing event!


Same deal for me except it was 12/76, Palladium NYC. I was probably the youngest member of the audience. I remember everyone looked so fucking old.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group