Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 11:37 am 

I think I read it in Frank's book, but I'm not sure. <br><br>Not like your diet has an impact on my life in anyway, I was just wondering as I have been Vegan for many years and when I heard that you guys were vegetarian, I thought it validated my life  ;) (no, seriously, I just thought it was cool...)<br><br>By the way, my mother died of cancer in the 80's when I was 13. It was a tough time for me because beyond that, I refused to go to a foster home so I spent my teen years staying with friends and occiasionally sleeping on the streets... <br><br>Anyway, she was a HUGE admirer of Zappa ever since I can remember and I too have loved his music. What more is there to say that has probably already been said a million times by now... Thanks for creating such a great website (it looks MUCH better than before...)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 6:03 pm 

Good for you! I have been a vegetarian since 93 and a Vegan since 99.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 6:07 pm 

white_person pretty much summed up the usual path to vegetarianism. I was sitting in a Biology class and the teacher did a poll about smoking, drinking, eating meat, etc. After we answered, she went through this little diagram about our chances of getting cancer. Believe it or not, Meat was up there, even higher than drinking or smoking I believe...<br><br>After a while, it becomes more about ethics than it does diet, though I usually take the diet argument as most people are selfish, and could care less about suffering.<br><br>Oh a side note, the same time I became a vegetarian I also became an Atheist. No poll was taken, but after learning about world religions and getting into critical thinking, I saw no other rational choice. Of course I respect everyones right to believe what they will, as long as they dont push it on me, that is when they get dumb. But if they're dumb, than god is dumb, and maybe even a little ugly, on the side... ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 7:05 pm 

Location: Wandering aimlessly through the American wasteland...
I find it extremely difficult to believe that a vegetarian would not believe in one of the following discriptions of God:<br><br>Main Entry: 1god <br>Pronunciation: 'gäd also 'god<br>Function: noun<br>Etymology: Middle English, from Old English; akin to Old High German got god<br>Date: before 12th century<br>1 capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshiped as creator and ruler of the universe b Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind<br>2 : a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship; specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality<br>3 : a person or thing of supreme value<br>4 : a powerful ruler <br><br>Just from my experience with Wheatgrass comfirms there is a Higher Power.  Read "In Search of the Miraculous" by P.D. Ouspensky for a pretty compelling model of the Universe.  Then re-read the Holy Bible.  It is no wonder why the Book of Proverbs is in the middle, the most likely place for a curious person to turn to.  God is there wether or not you need him to be.  I testify that the Lord has worked wonders in my life, now that I understand that I'm a Machine w/ no free will.  Everything Happens and I have the warrants to prove it.  Who is your "God"?<br><br>Ooops, my dogma ran over your karma.  :-/  What's in your wallet?  Can I get a Witness?!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 7:50 am 

I am enclosing upon my one year anniversary of being a vegetarian (No meat, fish, poultry...).  I did it for philisophical/enviromental and health reasons.  <br><br>I think that Frank did respect vegetarianism in a way.  I read an interview (I think in "Zappa") where is proudly explains that his kids do not eat red meat or pork.  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 2:00 pm 

What on earth would you vegitarians do if put in a situation where there was little or nothing else to eat?  Some people on this planet don't have the luxury of this choice.  Unfouruntaely todays society also makes it possible for things like intensive farming to exist this is no good really.  It is possible to give animals a decent life before you devour them and I don't really have any problem with this.  <br>   When it comes down to it though I can well see peoples reasons for not eating meat, but it angers me to be villified because I choose to eat it, hell I'd eat you if I was hungry enough.  I don't think this makes me an immoral and bad man.  Just let me get on with it and there need be no friction unless we run out of food then I might eat you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 3:05 pm 

Only before 5pm.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 3:37 pm 

I limit myself to milk, eggs, and pink snapper. :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next