Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:04 pm 

I remember when FZ died.<br>I remember that  morning very clearly.<br>My wife woke me up very early and told me to watch the news.<br><br>Drinking a cup of black water, the words were spoke. Frank Zappa has died........two seconds later my Christmas tree fell over.....and so did my emotions.<br><br>It was my first bout with depression.....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:55 pm 

I was at the movies most likely, which was my Saturday night routine back then (Frank died about 9PM Eastern Time). Coincidentally, I had played guitar along with the Joe's Garage recording of Watermelon earlier that day.<br><br>I didn't hear about Frank dying until I was driving to work Monday morning. That's when I recalled what I had played on Saturday.<br><br>Bill<br>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:33 pm 

I had just come home from my excruciating day job <br>when the telephone rang.  It was my best friend Joe,<br>who is a Zappa fanatic like myself.  He began the<br>conversation with these dreadful words: "Zappa died,<br>man."<br><br>We had known it was coming, had in fact been listening<br>to a different Zappa title every night as if to somehow<br>reverse its sickening eventuality, but we were ill-equipped to handle this regardless.  That night I listened to "Watermelon in Easter Hay" over and over again, finding it to be (almost) the balm I needed: those first few chords begin, heartbreaking yet transcedent, just as Frank begins to laugh into the megaphone, triumphant to the end: "WHO GIVES A FUCK, ANYWAY?"<br><br>Except that we all gave a fuck.  And we are still here,<br>left to ponder the lack of justice in this world: this man<br>was just GETTING STARTED, for Christ's sake, he was<br>merely warming up...only to succumb prematurely...<br><br>...meanwhile, assholes like George W. Bush will live to<br>be 90.<br><br>We miss you so much, Frank.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:30 pm 

hey guys, sorry i was just turned on to zappa by a friend recently, and i was wonderng: how did he die? he was too young to go. i wonder if he would still be making music if he were still alive. im sure he would, he was a great guy...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:06 pm 

Hello there,<br><br>Zappa died from prostate cancer.  I believe that he<br>would definitely be making music if he was still with us.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:08 pm 

Sadly for me when Frank died I was only 12 years old. So needless to say, I dont remember. I was probably listening to some shit like Ace of Base (lol). Im embarassed by that last line. But hey, at some point in our lives we all listen to music which we keep secret from others....right?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:54 pm 

[quote author=Bonzo link=board=faq;num=1069128287;start=0#6 date=01/06/04 at 20:08:12]... But hey, at some point in our lives we all listen to music which we keep secret from others....right?[/quote]<br><br>... I STILL do.........!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:44 am 

I remember that day very well, beacuse it was on the news in the main tv journal here, as closing news (a noble spot, probably some of the Journal's producer was a fan). I went, "oh so that was Frank Zappa", because I belived Frank Zappa was a guy wwho used to come and play soccer in my neighborhood, back in the 80s...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:37 am 

:'(<br>I was at work. Heard it on the radio.  Don't remember anything after that other than calling my guitar buddy, who turned me on to Zappa, to morn and remember.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:59 am 

I was on my way to make a recording for a local radio station when a friend told me. I was focused on the music I was gonna play and in a hurry, so it didn't really hit me right then. Actually, I still don't think it has...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:39 pm 

Strangely enough, I was at the house of someone FZ had mentioned in one of his songs. I was living in the guesthouse behind the home of John Agar (famed western and b-movie sci-fi actor mentioned in 'The Radio is Broken') with his son and my best friend, John the III. When we saw & heard the news on TV, we just sat there dumbfounded for several minutes. What a dark day that was.  :'(

yore barkin' up the wrong tree.
- Festus Haggen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:44 pm 

Lets see, i was 7 so I would've been in 2nd grade.  I didn't realize who FZ was at the time, but my dad was depressed.<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:39 am 

I didn't really get into his music until after he died. I don't remember hearing the news of FZ's death and I'm glad that I don't. I remember I was pretty upset when I heard about Chris Farley dying. I didn't want to believe it, so I know I would have been crushed to hear the news.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:41 am 

First all sorry for my english ( i become to beleive that on the www, not be an anglo-americanophile is a diseace, particulary if you are french)<br><br>I remember exactly the night. I left a friend in the night because i didn't support his pretension. I was waiting during the night until the mornning my train alone in a train station. When in the evenning, i came home my father told that he heard in the news.<br>I loocked my face, my eyes, in a mirror, i thought, i'm in hell and it's just starting. And it was true.<br><br>93 was an heavy year for me and i had 20. Can't forget this experience/hell year trip.<br>m*u*s*i*c**i*s**t*h*e**b*e*s*t<br><br> :'(

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 12:55 pm 

Sitting in Savannah, Georgia in my rotten hair filled apartment waiting for my college existence to end.  On the speakers was The Muffins... I believe the song was "Queenside."  Wack.  I remember seeing red when I heard the tv announcer say Zappa was dead.  I had a whole bottle of Jack and puked for hours.  Sad night.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 6:50 am 

Watching the morning news. The minute they showed<br>a picture of Frank, I knew he was dead. The reporter<br>hadn't even said a word yet. <br> I was sad the rest of the day.  :'(

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 9:01 am 

I didn't know who Zappa was then, so I don't remember. But I suppose I was at home, in a very small place in Northern Norway.<br>However, I have very clear memories from December 1st that year. My grandfather's 80th birthday. A cousin of my father made fun of me because I had long hair. I was 14 years old.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 9:23 am 

dear nico and all of you others, <br><br>had a hell trip of a year in 93 myself. i didnt listen to frank zappa at that time for i didnt like it. i was 22 and on punk rock only. and a drug addict too so i mainly cared for my own health and fucked up situation like they all do. <br>but i was sad when johnny thunders died, forgot when that was.  <br>i think mr. zappa donated us such a lot of wonderful music it - strange yet true  - brings his death into another dimension. like with the great classical composers, you know. and so i say: dammit, dont be sad he died, be glad he lived! because all things must pass. happy mothers day...<br><br>moved though,<br><br>wowie zowie!<br>

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:59 am 

Well i'm a french young guy from 1976 and i was at scholl when on morning, i just arrived after a long bus trip, one of my friends told me that frank died. At that time i didn't really know Frank but my uncle was a hudge fan, i remember listening Jazz from Hell in his car on a brand new cd player when i was about 10 (it was the begining of the cd area).<br>My feeling when i learned the news was strange, and i keep it still today, i knew that i will never see him on stage, i Knew that sombody important died. It's strange because i wasn't fan at that time but i remember exactlly that moment.<br>Frank you are still with us your music is still true and more and more actual.<br><br>Well folks<br>Information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom<br>wisdom is not truth, truth is not beauty<br>beauty is not love, love is not music,<br>Music is THE BEST!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:30 pm 

At the time of his death, I had no idea who he was. My parents would play Watermelon in Easterhay in the car, and they told me he somebody who died recently. I was 9 at the time, and I remember listening to him as the Central scruntinizar (I think I spelled that wrong) and picturing him bald and hairless, with ugly teeth. I didn't really get into him til a few years later, when my dad bought "Have I offended Someone" and listening to Bobby Brown made me realize what he was all about. Basically, he is Rock and Roll. Music would not be what it is today (The good stuff, I mean, and probably, by mistake, the bad stuff) and now he is one of my heros. Even still, I find it hard to believe he is dead.  I would love to see his take on the music that was going on during the 90's, and now. He'd probably have Terry Bozzio dress up like Britney Spears and writing a song about the viral infections that hollywood is mixing up at this moment. And of course, the war on terrorism. He sort of did already with Dumb all Over.<br><br>Thank you for three things.<br>1. The music<br>2. The Ideas<br>3. And Getting Adrian Belews career started.<br><br>Frank Zappa, even though I never knew you while you lived, I miss you. I mean this with all my heart, God Bless You.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:19 am 

When Frank Zappa died I was merely beginning my own musical journey and his name was like a large brooding cloud over the guitar world from all of the stacks of back issues of magazines I used to read at my uncle's house where he used to teach me the beginnings of guitar.<br><br>I always remember seeing that extraordinary name and the reverence which seemed to be attached to the words of those who spoke about him.<br><br>I suppose it's strangely fortunate for me that I wasn't as deep in to Zappa's music then as I am now because his death would likely have been a very devastating event for me; today I just feel a deep sense of pity for the music world in general that he is not around because his influence would have grown without limit.<br><br>Even though I rate myself as a comparitive novice Zappa fan to you here who are doubtlessly experienced in most of his work, as a musician I have come to realize that Frank Zappa is the end of the rainbow; if you want to call yourself a true musician you have to reckon with Frank Zappa's music.<br><br>