Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:26 am 

[quote author=badbrains link=board=faq;num=1069128287;start=0#2 date=01/01/04 at 14:33:36]We had known it was coming, had in fact been listening to a different Zappa title every night as if to somehow reverse its sickening eventuality, but we were ill-equipped to handle this regardless.  That night I listened to "Watermelon in Easter Hay" over and over again, finding it to be (almost) the balm I needed: those first few chords begin, heartbreaking yet transcedent, just as Frank begins to laugh into the megaphone, triumphant to the end: "WHO GIVES A FUCK, ANYWAY?" [/quote]<br><br>I did pretty much the same thing. "Watermelon in Eastern Hay" described my feelings after I heard the news...Maybe the most beautiful song he ever wrote. That was it! No turnin' back...<br>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:43 pm 

Can't remember where i was at the time but do remember taking a cd to work and playing to the guys at work for the whole day (18 to 25 year olds)<br>3 brought a copy and now listern to the man, i think frank would have thought that funny!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:29 pm 

asleep in bed. my wife came in and woke me up and told me she'd seen it on the late tv news.<br>as i recall (and a lot has flowed under since then) it was either just before or just after kurt cobain shot himself, because i remember thinking how stupid it was that one very unique muso decided to take his own life while another didn't have a choice in the matter. <br>anyway, as it happened i had a show on a community radio station at the time which was usually devoted to kiwi and oz music, but for my next show i did a two-hour zappa tribute. it probably got heard by two or three people, but i didn't give a shit because i did it for me.  :'(<br><br>MITB<br>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:56 pm 

I had a recording studio in Brooklyn USA and I was recoring a live solo section arrangement, similar to a FZ passage, unawhere until the following day. I was extremly depressed when I heard the news from Kaity Chung here in New York, who gave a good summary of Frank and finished by throwing in a seemingly personal statement by saying something like....."But more than all of that, he was one hell of a guitarist!"<br><br>I released a private collection of my work on an album entittled, "Inbetween Scheme" in 1994. The live band track that I refered earlier was named, "The day FZ Passed Away." Perhaps more an accurate tittle, than an apropiate one.....never the less there you is.<br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Mad John

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:57 pm 

Fess-Up!<br><br>t'other day We said goodbye to a good ol' friend<br><br>.. in the reception hall ,..after all formalities..<br>i met up with some ol'mates  (as y' do at funerals )<br>now my memeory aint too flash .. so we gets to talkin' , and he says to me ''do U remember when Fz died"?<br>ahh says "yes .. come to think of it , it was you who told me" <br>he said YES<br>and went on to detail th nights proceedings<br>and th little tape i made for him to take away  ..a la '93<br>and he goes on to tell me how much he misses that tape since he lent it to some chick who never returned it<br><br>I told him it's a digitalus age and if 'n ever he was in th neighbourhood  .. he should drop by <br><br>..aint time a worry ,..and aint FZ timeless?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:51 am 

[quote author=stride link=board=faq;num=1069128287;start=30#34 date=01/28/05 at 19:57:31]Fess-Up!<br><br>t'other day We said goodbye to a good ol' friend<br><br>.. in the reception hall ,..after all formalities..<br>i met up with some ol'mates  (as y' do at funerals )<br>now my memeory aint too flash .. so we gets to talkin' , and he says to me ''do U remember when Fz died"?<br>ahh says "yes .. come to think of it , it was you who told me" <br>he said YES<br>and went on to detail th nights proceedings<br>and th little tape i made for him to take away  ..a la '93<br>and he goes on to tell me how much he misses that tape since he lent it to some chick who never returned it<br><br>I told him it's a digitalus age and if 'n ever he was in th neighbourhood  .. he should drop by <br><br>..aint time a worry ,..and aint FZ timeless?[/quote]<br><br><br>It sure is and he sure is.  Bad things to that thoughtless girl.  :P :-/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:43 pm 

Frank died on my 23rd birthday...that entire day I was really bitter and angry.Every year I drink a toast to him on his birthday Dec 21st and his deathday Dec 4 and play his albums cranked to eleven. :'(  Here's to the man who made all those great sounds and lived by his own rules. ;)<br><br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:53 pm 

I don't know where I was, I hadn't gotten into him then, in 1993 I was 19. I wish I'd gotten into hs music sooner, maybe I'd have gotten to see him play live at some point. That would have been amazing.<br>What an amazing man with an amazing mind and talent.   ;D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:05 pm 

I believe i was in my car listening to howard stern when I heard the news. Strangely enough I was also in my car listening to howard when they annouced that a plane hit the wtc. I turned to my right ( on the belt parkway) and saw the flames going up from the tower. I also vaugely remember listening to the radio in a car when Bonzo died. I remember thinking I never saw zeppelin and now I never would.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:58 am 

Beatlenut, just wanted to let you know that your story made me burst out laughing ;D, then immediatley reverted to tears  :'( , that's a fantastic story.   <br>I was 12 when he died.  I had never heard his music, but it had been recommended to me by a number of parent's friends and friends parents.  I didn't much trust anyone's taste ever, so I hadn't taken anyone up on the advice.  They could all see just who I was, anyways, I remember being home from school for lunch, watching the global news like I always did, (canadian channel) And they did a fantastic piece on him, outlining mostly his classical and political history, I remember thinking, This is who Zappa is?   I had always assumed he was some drugged out weirdo, (of course).  Even though he meant nothing to me at the time, I remember thinking very specifically, "This is something very important that just happened"   Then, what blew my mind and continues to blow me away to this very day, all three of the newscasters started talking about him, and what period and bands were their favorite!!!!!!  I couldn't believe they all knew this obscure guy that well.  <br>For anyone who used to watch that news program, I recall specifically Bob Macadory the entertainment guy saying he liked Joe's Garage the best.  I still can't get over that this man who I came to love so much, Even though he was hardly even in my radar then, his death burned into my memory, like my body knew, pay some respects.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:33 pm 

Sorry for my english, I live in Argentina!<br><br>OK...I´m 19 years old, so when Frank passed away, I was 7 years old. My father is a guitarrist and he cried a lot, because he just loves music and Frank was kind of a role model for him.<br>I started listening to Frank's music lesser than a year ago, and he has already changed my life. I've tattoed myself the "ship arriving too late" cover and I just CAN'T BELIEVE HOW CAN LIFE BE SO UNFARE. I JUST CRY AND CRY AND CRY BECAUSE I DON'T REMEMBER THE TIME WHEN HE WAS ALIVE!! it's really shocking...but worst of all, his records are not available here so... well...<br>gonna cry again  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:16 pm 

mailen wrote:
...but worst of all, his records are not available here so... well...

don't cry my friend...if you got any fz argentine vinyl you wanna part with; a brand-spankin-new, sealed, never-been-played, nothin-but-the-best-for-my-dog zappa cd is yours...mono accepted

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Thu May 04, 2006 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:28 am 

I had just spent 15 minutes shuffling back to my car from a gruelling appointment at the osteopath (I had 3 prolapsed lumbar discs) and manouvred myself painfully into my car. Sitting still to recover before setting off home, I turned on the radio. I cried and cried. When my hubby got home I saw in his face that he knew too and we just hugged. It was the end of an era. We saw FZ many times and although he said he wouldn't tour again after '88 and of course we knew he was ill, there was always hope. Every time I phoned 818PUMPKIN to ask about him someone would say he was doing well so it was a real shock. His pic has always had pride of place in our home and even now I still say "G'night Frank" to it when I go to bed.<br> :'(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:33 am 

I was just getting into his music and borrowing Zappa albums from the library when I heard on Dutch national television that he had died. It made me kind of sad, knowing that I would never have the opportunity to go to a live Zappa concert. The VPRO rebroadcast that 1970 documentary later that evening.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:53 am 

Two cousins of mine were born around that time, one on Dec 2nd, the other on the 3rd. I was probably visiting the youngest one. I was 10, I didn't know FZ, and I'm not sure if I heard of his passing around that time. I didn't really find out about it until 2001, sadly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:09 am 

Home.<br><br>I received a call from John Nelson of The Meridian Arts Ensemble where he informed me of Franks passing.<br><br>I remember later that day driving in my car with the window open and listening to the music that is the nature around us.<br><br>A feeling of Frank's spirit was all around in high definition.<br><br>Frank will allways be around us in spirit!<br><br>The tour never ends.  

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:34 am 

I thought you said:<br><br>[quote author=trendm0nger link=board=faq;num=1069128287;start=0#0 date=11/17/03 at 20:04:47]I remember when FZ died.<br>I remember that  morning very clearly.<br>My wife woke me up very early and told me to watch the news.<br><br>Drinking a cup of black water, the words were spoke. Frank Zappa has died........two seconds later my Christmas tree fell over.....and so did my emotions.<br><br>It was my first bout with depression.....[/quote]<br> Hey ... you did!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:36 am 

I think "Trendmonger" and 'trendm0nger' are two different users.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next