Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 3550
The babbling about Roy Estrada is inexcusable.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7008
Location: exile
Quote:
but they were actually pretty straight forward guys, all of them....well, apart from...who was it...Roy, I think, went off for murder after that! I think he murdered somebody or did something terrible.

But anyway, apart from Roy, who was actually a very nice chap but just unfortunately decided to kill somebody,


Thinman wrote:
Is this meant seriously? Who? Roy Estrada? I hope Ian is confusing something here. Don't think this is true. Never heard about that.

Thinman


must be some other roy... roy estrada never killed nobody...

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:05 pm
Posts: 2784
Location: where the dogs roll by
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
same goes for yes, also, actually. have become a big yes fan again. 8)


i've been hearing rumors of a summer '08 tour...i last saw 'em in '03 and it was HOT!

_________________
I can't tell when you're telling the truth.
>I'm not.
How do I know anything you've said to me is...
>You don't.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:07 pm
Posts: 5691
Location: Closer than I Appear
Yes rules. Love that band, always have. Even Talk and Big Generator.

_________________
Let's hear it again for the London Philharmonic Orchestra!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:42 am
Posts: 342
Location: Michigan
feetlightup wrote:
Yes rules. Love that band, always have. Even Talk and Big Generator.
Yeah, there is very good stuff on both of those albums.

Eh, what Ian says about Beefheart is probably right. I always got that feeling from him. Sort of a pecuiliar difficult genius type.

_________________
Centerville...it's a real nice place to raise yer kids up!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:10 pm 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:40 pm
Posts: 2342
More like.....nutcase.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:42 am
Posts: 342
Location: Michigan
zombie1210 wrote:
More like.....nutcase.
Yeah, you could put it that way and be 100% correct.

_________________
Centerville...it's a real nice place to raise yer kids up!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:22 pm
Posts: 601
Location: Sydney, Australia
Maybe Frank's attitude to Tull was based on seeing the original line-up (perhaps in '69 in Europe)
I've got a bootleg from then (Stockholm)...and while being a well recorded desk tape..the guitar playing is atrocious
(I think it must have been Mick Abrahams, prior to Martin Barre joining)

I love Tull...I've been getting into Anderson's 'Secret Life Of Birds'...it's great!

I don't pay much heed to what Frank thought of other bands back then...
Frank was too much into his own bag...and too busy to spend much time listening to other pop groups

The fact that he never paid any attention to Robert Fripp says it all I think


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:17 am
Posts: 847
mutronboy wrote:

The fact that he never paid any attention to Robert Fripp says it all I think


Sorry to change the subject but I've yet to experience mr. Fripp.
What would be a good album to introduce me?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:11 am
Posts: 1023
Location: North German Wasteland
Quote:
… experience mr. Fripp.


I would recommend the double DVD "Eyes Wide Open" – King Crimson live in Japan and England.

Thinman.

_________________
Active forum member since 2005 - R E T I R E D from public forum activity in 2013


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:03 pm
Posts: 27
Location: Italy
brainpang wrote:
The babbling about Roy Estrada is inexcusable.


And so is your stupid comment about Anderson being a jack off


Love Tull, not as much as Zappa, but they are probably the second pick for a desert island. I wonder why Tull never covered a Zappa instrumental, like -say- "Peaches En Regala"
It would turn out great, in my opinion!

Cheers


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:59 pm
Posts: 264
The Bastard Son wrote:
brainpang wrote:
The babbling about Roy Estrada is inexcusable.


And so is your stupid comment about Anderson being a jack off


Love Tull, not as much as Zappa, but they are probably the second pick for a desert island. I wonder why Tull never covered a Zappa instrumental, like -say- "Peaches En Regala"
It would turn out great, in my opinion!

Cheers


I think Thick As A Brick is a spectacular piece of music from start to finish.
I absolutely LOVE it. But the prancing medieval feel of Jethro Tull got kinda tired very quickly...for me, anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 10:08 am
Posts: 269
Location: A tire in the ocean
Interesting interview!

I think Beefheart's craziness, while bad from a personal view, makes the music more compelling.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:33 pm
Posts: 109
Location: Escondido, CA
Interesting thread. Tull and Yes were my top 2 bands in the '70s until I discovered FZ through one of my older sister's boyfriends around '78. When I was 12 a friend of mine's stepdad had all the Tull albums up to Aqualung and listening to them really made me feel like I found something that was mine. My first concert was the Thick As A Brick tour. None of my friends could go (with $5 tix no less!) so I went by myself.

I agree with some of the other comments here that Tull & Yes should have been respected by FZ if only for their complex arrangements and musical inventiveness. I saw those two bands several times from the '70s through the early '80s and was never disappointed. Yes in particular were just ferocious live. Their studio albums never really did justice to their live sound until maybe Relayer. That's why Yessongs was always my favorite Yes album.

_________________
...And it was useless anymore
Yes, it was (back up, back up!) anymore
(Hey, you're hurtin' Joey Psychotic!)
Yes, it was useless anymore
(Move back now!)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:53 am
Posts: 2195
Location: Hamilton, NJ
joeypsychotic wrote:
Interesting thread. Tull and Yes were my top 2 bands in the '70s until I discovered FZ through one of my older sister's boyfriends around '78. When I was 12 a friend of mine's stepdad had all the Tull albums up to Aqualung and listening to them really made me feel like I found something that was mine. My first concert was the Thick As A Brick tour. None of my friends could go (with $5 tix no less!) so I went by myself.

I agree with some of the other comments here that Tull & Yes should have been respected by FZ if only for their complex arrangements and musical inventiveness. I saw those two bands several times from the '70s through the early '80s and was never disappointed. Yes in particular were just ferocious live. Their studio albums never really did justice to their live sound until maybe Relayer. That's why Yessongs was always my favorite Yes album.


Frank's opinion of other bands never particularly interested me. I was interested in his societal outlook. I like Tull a lot and most especially Thick As A Brick, a good listen start to finish. Saw them again three years ago and they were very tight, and Ian's voice was good, some of the 60's bands who are still touring are worthless (Are you listening Foghat???).

Frank was nothing other than a very opinionated individual - you don't have to subscribe to all his views to be a fan.

_________________
If we're dumb . . .
Then God is dumb . . .
(An' maybe even a little bit ugly on the side)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:03 pm
Posts: 27
Location: Italy
tweezers wrote:

Frank's opinion of other bands never particularly interested me. I was interested in his societal outlook. I like Tull a lot and most especially Thick As A Brick, a good listen start to finish. Saw them again three years ago and they were very tight, and Ian's voice was good, some of the 60's bands who are still touring are worthless (Are you listening Foghat???).

Frank was nothing other than a very opinionated individual - you don't have to subscribe to all his views to be a fan.


Exactly! :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:43 pm
Posts: 64
Location: Maine
I have to agree with all of you guys about Thick as a Brick, Tull's best album. After that they got too into complex music for the sake of complexness, and the medieval thing never appealed to me.

I saw Tull a few days ago. The music was tight, but Ian's voice is gone. Have you noticed how when he tries to hit a high not her kinda jumps up now. If Tull keeps touring they'll need another vocalist. Ian's flute playing on the other hand is better than ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:17 am
Posts: 847
Ian's voice really saddens me. I loved his voice, great singer. Now I cannot bare to hear him sing. For someone who is such a perfectionist I find it odd that he continues. I wish he'd take a break from touring and record more.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:53 am
Posts: 2195
Location: Hamilton, NJ
oh my, he wounded pretty good a few years ago.

_________________
If we're dumb . . .
Then God is dumb . . .
(An' maybe even a little bit ugly on the side)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:17 am
Posts: 847
By the way, Their Fully Authorised Story has just come out on DVD.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jethro-Tull-Aut ... 762&sr=1-1

Got my copy yesterday. Really good. Lots of interview with old members. One of the greatest bands ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:11 pm
Posts: 1262
Location: new.. perfect... AMERICA
Ringo wrote:
Ian's voice really saddens me. I loved his voice, great singer. Now I cannot bare to hear him sing. For someone who is such a perfectionist I find it odd that he continues. I wish he'd take a break from touring and record more.


Good to see that there are some Tull fans on this forum. They're probably my second fave next to FZ. I agree that Ian should get back in the studio. Dot Com (despite the dumb title) is so good, almost shockingly so. We need more! Anyone know if any sort of new album is in the works?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:17 am
Posts: 847
zomby truth wrote:
Ringo wrote:
Ian's voice really saddens me. I loved his voice, great singer. Now I cannot bare to hear him sing. For someone who is such a perfectionist I find it odd that he continues. I wish he'd take a break from touring and record more.


Good to see that there are some Tull fans on this forum. They're probably my second fave next to FZ. I agree that Ian should get back in the studio. Dot Com (despite the dumb title) is so good, almost shockingly so. We need more! Anyone know if any sort of new album is in the works?


I assume you have Ian's recent solo albums?
All I know is stuff has been recorded. I heard something about this fall but then I heard that last year. Maybe, just maybe there might be another Tull album. Mind you, I also read somewhere that IA wants to write a novel.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:03 pm
Posts: 27
Location: Italy
Tull with another singer? Never!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18769
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
tweezers wrote:
oh my, he wounded pretty good a few years ago.

Really! Was he shot, or stabbed, or pushed off a stage, or something like that?

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:11 pm
Posts: 1262
Location: new.. perfect... AMERICA
Ringo wrote:
zomby truth wrote:
Ringo wrote:
Ian's voice really saddens me. I loved his voice, great singer. Now I cannot bare to hear him sing. For someone who is such a perfectionist I find it odd that he continues. I wish he'd take a break from touring and record more.


Good to see that there are some Tull fans on this forum. They're probably my second fave next to FZ. I agree that Ian should get back in the studio. Dot Com (despite the dumb title) is so good, almost shockingly so. We need more! Anyone know if any sort of new album is in the works?


I assume you have Ian's recent solo albums?
All I know is stuff has been recorded. I heard something about this fall but then I heard that last year. Maybe, just maybe there might be another Tull album. Mind you, I also read somewhere that IA wants to write a novel.


I only recently rounded out my Tull collection (I have every studio release as well as Bursting Out and Light Music) but haven't started buying the solo Ian stuff (yet!) What's the best one to start with?

Good to hear that there are at least rumors of new Tull work. A novel, eh? I bet a million bucks that the main protagonist will be feline...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group