Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:45 pm 

cleon. About the pickup,I agree, it was taken out and for why, i don't know. But as your pix show,isn't it hard to play r. handed or reverse strung, with the whammy bar up your r. armpit ?Oh yeah nice photo links. 8) Piano was my only musical training.So did FZ take out the pickup,cause it [wanted to feed back near any amp] or for some other reason? Educate me,for now you got me curious! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:12 pm 

curiouser and curiouser-er...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:00 am 

Ya'll ask Frank! On12/12/08/ I'll be at The Roxy and I'll ask Dweezil, why, where, when, and who! Thanks for the info Pam ,gz!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:41 pm 

KAPT.KIRK wrote:
ask Frank!

You can do that here? Cooool.

//......The guitar was burned onstage in an afternoon performance at the Miami Pop Festival......//

That's kind of what I'm starting to suspect. Might you have some independent source, a write up from a newspaper maybe, that would support such a suspicion? I'd love to get this pinned down somehow, if possible.

'IF' being the huge word it is & all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:24 pm 

Ya know scout,thanks to cleon's and slime'spost, here's how I see it.-H.burned and bumbed the hell out of it. FZ somehow retained "axe",then put on a new neck! Had too! There was something wrong for his taste.Hence [cleons] exellent picture post .Then along go years and DZ and FZ,exchange axe.Years pass. Now DZ or GZ ?; Send it to Bogues dude's place,retained the bass-part of axe,but the neck and pick-up's,strings and all the rest were most likely spread from Miami to LA.Just an opinion ! And thanks to gz the repo-girl! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:15 pm 

A valiant effort Kapt'n but it doesn't quite jibe with other known "facts," for example Frank didn't "retain" said axe but had it given to him a few years after-the-fact by one of Jimi's former roadies (guy named "H," aka Howard Parker, a musician himself who also wrote a couple articles re: the rock & roll scene before disappearing at sea).

Trying to get to the bottom of this deal is significant because heretofore it was believed that all of Jimi's barbecued guitars had been accounted for until a "new" one came up for auction recently that had presumably already been accounted for.

No one is certain that Hendrix actually burned a Strat in Miami, the general consensus has been that Frank's was actually from Jimi's '67 Finsbury Park show (Frank himself later said that he had only been under the impression that it was from Miami---paraphrasing). If otherwise it would be very very helpful to have some kind of independent, preferably contemporary, corroboration of the incident. We do know that Hendrix performed 2 shows on the first day---afternoon & evening, part of the first show documented in film footage and photos (many by Linda Eastman McCartney)---but the second day, which was to be the formally recorded & filmed performance, was called on account of rain.

Hence why we keep digging so persistently.

By the way, anybody know anything solid about the supposed jam session that took place in that bar during the rain out?

Tape of Jimi trading licks with Frank would be far freakin' out if any ever turned up, priceless to some (like me; ie this is a labor of love, not for profit) but of incalculable interest from a musical pov.

Back to the shovel now (while taking as great care as possible as to just what's bein' shoveled :wink: )...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:26 pm 

scout Curious and more curious I will keep my nose to the grindstone for further confirmation! Mustache tweak,veddy interesting 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:23 am 

That right there is a a few sweet ass pictures. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:30 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:20 pm 

We are the other people,your the other people too! Love to come and talk to you! Oh, you are not the other people? Just little piggie's with your piggie lies! You want us to buy little Hendricks toy's to roll around in! Call ,post,text,but take the train, out of here, and head for all points,where greed mongers [lazy basturds] Go! I looked at your posts.Are you serious? Now we can buy dinky replicas of guitars we are not sure even existed?Did you even follow the story line? Grrrr

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:27 am 

cleon wrote:
KAPT.KIRK wrote:
8) lil'gz,So Frank didn't tear it apart for a pickup, just made it playable for his own use.Then with so much feedback sent it to Bogue-us for more playable use.Then you went and got the big parts back! Then was FZ and DZ there when DZ refound it? Or was it just DZ? After dad u-know,wasn't here,there or anywhere? :cry: He will return! :) Love u folks for being here!
I have not seen nobody say No pickup in the Neck
:?

Ho yes he did put a pick up in the neck :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2OtCllDjFc
Jimi Hendrix Stratocaster brought in by Dweezil Zappa