Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:58 pm 

I'd be happy to. Trader etiquette states that you send me a list of trades that I can pick from, or mail me a blank & return postage.<br><br>Click on my name & email me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:58 am 

How about that rubber hose hangin' off of your avatar, big boyee?<br><br>Maybe you have some extra $$$ to send to someone who spent 20 seconds typing a response on a thread, but I'm a single Dad with two kids living paycheck to late paycheck.  Little Lord Fauntleroy Syndrome?<br><br>I have NEVER just received a 'free' cd in the mail from anyone, except America Online. Does such a world exist?<br><br>Now my turn to insult you...hmmm...this has to be a good one...<br><br>"May a herpes-infected geriatric lesbian miscarry Charlie Manson's bastard fetus straight into your mouth, and as you gag the half you DIDN'T swallow messily onto your physics degree, all of the unused semen in the history of time gets teleported into your tired rectal region"<br><br>*Whew* Yes, I just made that up.<br><br>The trade offer still stands, BTW. It's a helluva show. Great sound.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:50 am 

The Pink Floyd set (minus Interstellar Overdrive) is up & available on the tree as I type this. I haven't listened to it yet (slow torrent), but its closer to hearing the FZ/PK combo than I've ever been.<br><br>Go hop on and speed up the bits! I'll keep my window open for a week.<br><br>(Y'know, there's always a CHANCE the historians were stoned and Frank actually played on Careful With That Axe, Eugene instead...    *snif*)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:02 am 

[quote author=ListenMan link=board=wishList;num=1063164797;start=45#54 date=03/02/05 at 09:50:35]The Pink Floyd set (minus Interstellar Overdrive) is up & available on the tree as I type this. I haven't listened to it yet (slow torrent), but its closer to hearing the FZ/PK combo than I've ever been.<br><br>Go hop on and speed up the bits! I'll keep my window open for a week.<br><br>(Y'know, there's always a CHANCE the historians were stoned and Frank actually played on Careful With That Axe, Eugene instead...    *snif*)[/quote]<br><br>i've had that for a while, the only thing is though...apparently it's a fake...well not a fake as in it's not pink floyd, but a fake as in it doesn't really feature zappa and it's not actually from the amougies festival. I don;t know for sure though....i do believe the appearance on stage with them was genuine however.<br>

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:08 am 

Apparently the 3 songs on this torrent were lifted from the MUSIC POWER film, at least in part.<br><br>Captain Beefheart's set and The Soft Machine's performances from Amougies are/have been available for awhile too, so hope springs eternal. Then eternal got knocked up & sued hope for child support. Now, hope's on dope.<br>

Post subject: bump
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:29 am 
Banned

This thread has been severely butchered due to the forum conversion of April 2006, but it still contains more posts than the new FZ/Pink Floyd threads that seem to turn up every other week.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:20 am 

I know someone who actually attented the Amougie festival. (I totally trust him, he's not the kind of guy that like to show off - and I've seen his concert ticket :) ). And he's positive: Zappa DID play with PF. He also told me that Zappa acted as a kind of MC for the whole festival, introducing each performers.

He also remembers that Frank made a great impression on everyone while playing a few tracks with the band Caravan.

Here is the poster announcing the Amougie festival. Notice the "Thanks Frank & Herb" at the bottom of the poster !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:01 pm 

Pink Floyd & Frank Zappa
Interstellar Overdrive (Live Belgium 1969)
[Audio only - a super-8 film is said to exist]
a rare recording of frank zappas on off appearance with pink floyd in 69 at Actuel Festival in Begium
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNeSU78azn0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:36 am 

There's a nifty picture disc of this, with the colour photo of FZ and the Floyd jamming on one side and four other images on the flipside, two of FZ from the inner gatefold of Hot Rats and two of Pink Floyd ca. 1969, with David Gilmour as the fourth man. The copy I listened too unfortunately has a crack towards the end of Interstellar Overdrive, typical of badly manufactured picture discs. (I won't tell you if I bought the boot, but let's say I've heard it...)

I've also heard a CD of the performance, which is even more interesting, as it includes two long Pink Floyd tracks that aren't on the LP. The CD is called Astronomy Domine, and is well presented, with cover illustrations reminiscent of a mix between Dali, Magritte and the Wish You Were Here album cover. On the CD itself, the band is called The Godfathers of Invention...

The live album of Ummagumma has better-sounding contemporary versions of most of the Pink Floyd tracks on the CD, so the real reason for having this is of course the collaboration between FZ and PF on Interstellar Overdrive. (It can also be found on another boot from Amougies, by the way - along with Zappa's playing with Aynsley Dunbar, Captain Beefheart et. al.)

I find the Amougies Interstellar Overdrive musically interesting, although poorly recorded. I've also heard the 1966 recording of Interstellar Overdrive, which is a good variation, but not as different from the album version as this one. Zappa injects some new life into the tune, and reinvents some passages of it. There's more melodic invention in this version than in the ordinary Pink Floyd jam version, I feel. Zappa's mood is attentive and reflective, with some energetic outbursts.

With all it's sonic deficiencies, this recording is a fine documentation of Zappa in orbit between bands, and Pink Floyd with a soloist who is able to challenge and expand on their music.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:43 pm 

Hey Dark Clothes, an interesting and thought provoking review.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:46 am 

Thanks. I liked writing it, too :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:23 pm 

Hi,
Quote:

....to Belgium where he played with Pink Floyd (on their fan favourite "Interstellar Overdrive"and others at the festival d'Amougies. A film of the Belgian concert "MUSIC POWER" was filmed but not released.

I'm not sure it is the same time period but there is a Pink Floyd piece (with models inside these huge bubbles), that appeared in a film that was originally called "Stamping Ground" that has Family, It's a Beautiful Day, Santana in it (that I can remember right now!) ... but I don't think there is a shot of the band playing at all in the whole film ... it's been a long time since I saw that and even then it was a second rate print ... I would love to find those films.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:16 am 

The festival Stamping Ground was also called the "Dutch Woodstock". An event that had place in Roterdan in 1970, with the presence of 350 thousand persons. The alternative culture movement of Europe demonstrated to be strong and growing. In this documental-concert, some of the major names of rock of the 70's performs in the best way. An excelent mixture of progressive rock, folk, blues and psicodelia. CONTENT: Al Stewart: Zero she Flies/ Dr. John & Night Tripper: Mardi Gras Day/ Family: Drowned in wine/ Marc Bolan & T Rex: Pavillions of Sun/ Canned Heat: Human Condition - Sa sad/ Jefferson Airplane: White rabbit - Saturday afternoon - Ballad of you and me & Pooneil/ Flock: Big bird/ It's a beautiful day: Open up your hearts - Wasted union Blues/ Country Joe: Freedom is a constant - Struggle/ Byrds: Old blue/ Santana: Savor - Jingo - Gumbo/ Pink Floyd: Set the controls for the heart of the Sun - A saucerful of secrets

http://www.amazon.com/Stamping-Ground-S ... B00069ZJKQ

1 new from $176.95

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:57 pm 

Why does this topic keep surfacing? I thought that after some of us got the bootleg and heard Frank playing with Floyd....it would all be over.
The performance is pretty interesting,....but Frank sort of leads the band in a merry chase off of the usual moves of the piece,and it's interesting but not the best thing ever Zappa did. Oh,...and ,Yes,the sound isn't very great too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:19 am 

penguini wrote:
Why does this topic keep surfacing?

You bump it, that's why 8)

Seriously, the fact that Zappa and Floyd played together and that there is a (fairly crappy) recording of it will tickle some heads as long as the bands from the golden era of rock still have some fans and followers. That means for the rest our lives, and beyond, probably.

I like your thoughts on the playing, btw.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:02 pm 

penguini wrote:
Why does this topic keep surfacing? I thought that after some of us got the bootleg and heard Frank playing with Floyd....it would all be over.
The performance is pretty interesting,....but Frank sort of leads the band in a merry chase off of the usual moves of the piece,and it's interesting but not the best thing ever Zappa did. Oh,...and ,Yes,the sound isn't very great too.

It's no different than the bootleg that had Jimi Hendrix playing Daytripper with the Beatles ... we will never think it enough and want to hear more and the Hendrix trust and the Beatles trust will never agree on compensation ... and it will die one of those uneventful deaths ... like Mozart!

"Far worse things ... await mankind ... than death"

Yeah ... the evil in between!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:44 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Pink Floyd & Frank Zappa
Interstellar Overdrive (Live Belgium 1969)
[Audio only - a super-8 film is said to exist]
a rare recording of frank zappas on off appearance with pink floyd in 69 at Actuel Festival in Begium
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNeSU78azn0

The video is removed!! :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:13 am 

It is because it actually never happened :shock:

Here is a corrupted attempt to emulate Pink Floyd and Frank's playing using pigs and ponies as musicians:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Deb-LFMu9so

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:30 pm 

Moshkito wrote:
It's no different than the bootleg that had Jimi Hendrix playing Daytripper with the Beatles ... we will never think it enough and want to hear more and the Hendrix trust and the Beatles trust will never agree on compensation ... and it will die one of those uneventful deaths ...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:30 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
It is because it actually never happened :shock:

Here is a corrupted attempt to emulate Pink Floyd and Frank's playing using pigs and ponies as musicians:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Deb-LFMu9so

I read some of the comments on that link and the're argueing over whether its real or not,whether it's FZ or not,and some other funny hypothesis.What gave it away for you Mr.GG :?: :wink: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:15 pm 

If you want to see the film of this moment then it is owned by a guy called Jerome Lappersousaz, or Jérôme Laperrousaz. I'm sure if someone is desperate enough to see it, what with the internet and all, a final definitive answer can be reached. Hopefully before this topic becomes 10 years old.

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:03 am 

Wen D. Carlos wrote:
Moshkito wrote:
It's no different than the bootleg that had Jimi Hendrix playing Daytripper with the Beatles ... we will never think it enough and want to hear more and the Hendrix trust and the Beatles trust will never agree on compensation ... and it will die one of those uneventful deaths ...

The only diffrence is Hendrix Day tripper has a officalr release.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:50 am 

Well, that's in french but here is a very complete review of the Amougie Music Power Festival:

http://www.killuglyradio.com/boot/gilboot/amougies/

PAUL ALESSANDRINI (Rock & Folk n°35, décembre 1969)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next