Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:43 am 

Not just rock, Jazz too. I mean, everything that happens now which is new is just repetition.
I think the 70's were rock's peak. Perhaps one could say the 80's with all the electronic shit was another new opening for rock but let's face it, the 90's and the 00's have delivered nothing new in terms of pushing the envelope of music forms.

I just cannot see what else there is to do with Rock, Jazz, Blues, Folk, county, fill-in-the-gap etc.

I've said it before but the best music is in the past. Sure, there are still great musicians who leave a mark on each new generation but its all repetition now.

Jump back to the mid 50's when rock n roll first started. Now that was radical. Prog rock another development. Although I don't much care for it, I accept that punk was another new direction.

The only area that I believe is under exploited is that of world music and the dissonant classical stuff that Frank was into. Now I can take a little bit of that shit but if I'm honest I find it boring and rather unmoving. Maybe in time our ears will develop to like those ugly chords as Frank did. History suggests this is the case regarding harmony and acceptance by our ears. Of course, I talk as a westerner. Non westerners have much more developed ears with their 12 tone music and such.

I guess with the multicultural world, music will blend. But that is going to be a gradual process.

Perhaps what is need is a new instrument, a new stratocaster.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:23 am 

I love older music......but what you say is not true about jazz, check out AZAR LAWRENCE, he has a new cd out ,and it is brilliant, for extra credit ,when and on what lp's did he play with FZ.?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:17 am 

Rock is dead?
Thats too bad. Its really going to suck trying to play opera on a boom box at the beach this summer.

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:55 pm 

Kill Ugly Radio.
Rock and jazz are alive and well at a club near you. Walk down to your local music and booze dealing emporium and find some of the amazing bands out there that will never make it past the next town in the propaganda brain damaging machine called the music industry.

http://www.last.fm/music/fowl
http://www.deezer.com/en/#music/fowl
Your mental health requires buying my cd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:39 pm 

Ringo wrote:
Not just rock, Jazz too. I mean, everything that happens now which is new is just repetition.
I think the 70's were rock's peak. Perhaps one could say the 80's with all the electronic shit was another new opening for rock but let's face it, the 90's and the 00's have delivered nothing new in terms of pushing the envelope of music forms.

I just cannot see what else there is to do with Rock, Jazz, Blues, Folk, county, fill-in-the-gap etc.

I've said it before but the best music is in the past. Sure, there are still great musicians who leave a mark on each new generation but its all repetition now.

Jump back to the mid 50's when rock n roll first started. Now that was radical. Prog rock another development. Although I don't much care for it, I accept that punk was another new direction.

The only area that I believe is under exploited is that of world music and the dissonant classical stuff that Frank was into. Now I can take a little bit of that shit but if I'm honest I find it boring and rather unmoving. Maybe in time our ears will develop to like those ugly chords as Frank did. History suggests this is the case regarding harmony and acceptance by our ears. Of course, I talk as a westerner. Non westerners have much more developed ears with their 12 tone music and such.

I guess with the multicultural world, music will blend. But that is going to be a gradual process.

Perhaps what is need is a new instrument, a new stratocaster.

I think I know what you mean. I think I know why everything now sounds recycled, too.

Part of why there was so much progress in music during the 50's through 80's is that there was coinciding progress in music technology. Rather than list it all, let's just say that musicians were constantly being fed new tools to explore with. Now everything sounds recycled partly because there is no radical progress going on in music tools. Everything that can be done with amplifiers has been done. Synthesizers have reached the point of nearly perfectly emulating any sound you can imagine. Everybody can have a killer home studio for about $2,000. Every music tool that exists is readily available to anybody for purchase.

You're pretty close with the idea that we need a new stratocaster. We need new radical music tools if we're ever going to get out of the recycled soundscape. Not just a new effect pedal or synth patch, we need a whole new instrument to explore. Maybe something that doesn't have strings or keys or reeds or heads...something completely new that has loads of potential and possibilities waiting to be discovered in it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:39 pm 

This is all too true. The return of polka to the (much deserved) forefront is to be expected soon.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:40 pm 

I thought auto-tune was the new Stratocaster. (sarcasm)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:46 pm 

thatstuffisverybadforyou wrote:
I thought auto-tune was the new Stratocaster. (sarcasm)

Yeah, and dj's scratching other people's records (more sarcasm)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:30 pm 

Ringo wrote:
Rock as a music form is done.

what else is new?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:57 pm 

Good news everyone! Air Supply is on tour!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:05 pm 

wake up sleepy heads!
there's a whole lot out there, if you look.
for instance
http://www.thru-you.com

this is unaffiliated free advertisement and free music

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:37 pm 

the new Stratocaster is : The sampler, and that's perhaps also the reason why a lot of the music we hear nowadays sounds recycled. This plus the way the music industry works, of course. Yet, you can find new and refreshing stuff if you search hard enough.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:27 am 

aquabot wrote:
the new Stratocaster is : The sampler, and that's perhaps also the reason why a lot of the music we hear nowadays sounds recycled. This plus the way the music industry works, of course. Yet, you can find new and refreshing stuff if you search hard enough.
That's a very long, hard search and a lot of wondering, "Where have I heard this brand new thing before?

--Bat :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:09 am 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:13 am 

Rock is NOT dead, it's just not popular anymore!!

For proof, listen to "Flower Travelin' Man by Earthless!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:43 am 

IS IT

IF DEAD WHY YOU GOT TOO KILL IT :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:59 am 

cleon wrote:
IS IT

IF DEAD WHY YOU GOT TOO KILL IT :mrgreen:
Well, if it's not extremely well-embalmed then it's definitely very carefully taxidermied.

--Bat :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:46 pm 

rock isn't dead, .. it just smells funny
in fact they all want to smell the same
or smell like each other, at least

because of the money involved they tend to over-produce
gravytrain desperados gone wild

someone once said 'You will only hear 10 songs for the rest of your life"
it's true with commercial radio

personally i'd take the water torture over it

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:58 am 

Perhaps all pop music should be like the Resident's Commericial Album. Every song no longer than 1 min. If you want to play it over and over again to make a longer song, go right ahead, otherwise at least the pain is over quickly. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:49 am 

sabrinaIII wrote:
Perhaps all pop music should be like the Resident's Commericial Album. Every song no longer than 1 min. If you want to play it over and over again to make a longer song, go right ahead, otherwise at least the pain is over quickly. :mrgreen:

hahahha great point!

http://www.last.fm/music/fowl
http://www.deezer.com/en/#music/fowl
Your mental health requires buying my cd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:36 pm 

Because every Zappa is timeless:

"They go to the party just to chew on the cheese, and they act like they all have some great expertise, they tell you that Rock 'n' Roll is dead, oh, spare me please." - FZ, 1978

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:56 pm 

There are people who think classical is dead.... Jazz is dead..... I completely disagree. Something new in rock will come along, given time. Some new view, some new twist, some unknown rule broken.... Ya gotta think about the long haul. :)

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:44 pm 

So, Rock was essentially born from Blues, Jazz and Folk. It evolved and blossomed as a grass-roots music as well. What's been born since then? Arguably music forms like Rap, Hip-Hop, Industrial, Ambient, New Age, ..forms that are hybrids, but still stand as their own.

These forms, like Classical, Folk, Jazz, will be around for a while too.
Rock, as a music form, won't be completely done because each generation reinvents it and makes it their own. That's part of its charm. The young and rebellious finding their voice and banging it out in their garage. It's ever-perennial.

Is Rock music increasingly derivative and rife with self-consumption?
You betcha. But so is any other form of music that's popular. The more popular it is, the more derivative and watered-down it's going to be. But it's unfair to dismiss an entire form of music based on just what's popular. That just means there's more chaff to cut through.

I'd even say, compared to most other forms, Rock is arguably one of the most diverse forms of music. It's had so many influences over the decades and has been stretched in myriad of directions. It'll continue to be a vehicle for generations to come.

..Has Rock n Roll said all it has to say?

Some would argue that happened way back in the late 50s.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:53 am 

Slave music plus cowboy music equals rock 'n roll.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:46 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
Good news everyone! Air Supply is on tour!

Just in time, too, because I AM all out of love.