Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: RAY WHITE QUIT
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:31 pm 

Bender2 wrote:
Hometown Sausage Jamboree wrote:
Whatever happened to Bobby Martin?

Also, my personal obsession... Denny Walley... that would be tastey.

You can see (and listen to) both of them...and more at Zappanale #20, Bad Doberan, Germany, 2009 08 12-16.

I always wonder how do you get in good graces with the ZFT and how do you fall out with them. Three years ago Bozzio and Napolean are guesting with ZFT and now they're playing at Zappanale which I'm sure Gail can't be too thrilled with. It seems this stuff happens all the time. Anybody have any insight here.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:34 pm 

Maybe it's a situation where some previous band members have to put in some time with a ZFT-approved venture and then they're allowed some grace when participating in other bands that play Frank's music exclusively.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:59 am 

Well we will find out soon who the new singer will be according to DZ's blog, but more importantly who can they get for keyboards that will not need a huge learning curve? I am not sure what happened to Tommy Marrs but if he is still sharp he would be the right tool!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:50 am 

For Tommy Mars latest see...
http://www.idiotbastard.com/News/PressRelease1.htm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:02 pm 

jamesE wrote:

Cannot be that new - Kurt died two years ago

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:33 pm 

Ok, your'e being pedantic...

Courtesy idiotbastard
Out now from Zonic Entertainment/Hot Club Records, No Forest Fire by the Mar Vista Philharmonic – that is: Tommy Mars, Arthur Barrow, Bruce & Walt Fowler, Larry Klimas, Kurt McGettrick and VINNIE COLAIUTA! Says Artie: “It is a wild and cool free improv from August 2002. It is the one and only assemblage of this group, sadly, as Kurt is no longer with us. This session led to the BBC sessions after the BBC guy heard this and asked if we could do something to go with their 10th anniversary show. It's for the hard core fans who might like to hear what some of the vets might do left to their own devices!”

Courtesy Wiki;

After his work with Zappa, Mars alternated between teaching and touring with Steve Vai or Stuart Hamm. In mid 1990s, Mars formed The Band From Utopia, a group consisting of 10 Zappa band alumni, performing Zappa's music as a tribute band. 2007 presents Strange News From Mars, a jazz hybrid with Jon Larsen, featuring Bruce Fowler, Jimmy Carl Black, Arthur Barrow, and other Zappa alumni. 2008 Tommy Mars has a brief (three tracks) appearance on The Jimmy Carl Black Story, together with the original Mothers Of Invention drummer Jimmy Carl Black.

2009 is the expected release of the new full feature CD with Tommy Mars, No Forest Fire, together with The Band From Utopia members Bruce Fowler, Walt Fowler, Kurt McGettrick, Larry Klimas (not from TBFU),Arthur Barrow, and Vinnie Colaiuta.

I just presumed Plook wasn't a sad bastard like me and you HJ, with too much time on our hands.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:07 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
My vote is for Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar.

Have to admit, yes, Dweezil's playing on this tour is awesome. The tones are gorgeous. More guitar solos!!

-Dave in Seattle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:29 pm 

bob r wrote:
Dweezil is a good guitar player , but he is not his dad on guitar, listening to his solos on shut up and play your guitar should convince anyone, Vai blows him (Dweezil) away (after all, Frank had Steve teach Dweezil!) That said, I enjoy seeing ZPZ, hopefully they will continue but at cheaper ticket prices.I for one will def. NOT pay what I have paid to see him with alumni.

I don't remember anyone saying Dweezil was anywhere near like his dad in terms of guitar playing. Dweezil is a good guitar player, no doubt about that. But nobody will ever play like Frank Zappa ever again. Thank god FZ was as determined to record all his shows. I listened to HALLOWEEN the other day, incredible!

Post subject: xxx
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:46 am 

xxx

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:16 pm, edited 9 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:00 am 

I think I actually understood that... holy crap!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:46 am 

Thanks JamesE for the update, unfortunately like Joe I am often found stuck in my "lonely little room", but does the background on Tommy exclude him from being able to join the band...I wound assume (and I know the problem with making an ASS-out-of-U-and-ME) that the only thing to preclude it would be his schedule and terms. As to all the talk of DZ compared to FZ, I have seen the band (4) times and when it comes to straight up cover of a solo DZ has nailed many a solo, that being said the last (2) shows I saw were closely spaced and he began to explore the "air-sculptures" and while not necessarily their yet, I see promise. I would also like to mention that when left to his own devises DZ is an extraordinary guitarist in his own right.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:11 am 

KillUgly wrote:
Three years ago Bozzio and Napolean are guesting with ZFT and now they're playing at Zappanale which I'm sure Gail can't be too thrilled with.

Napoleon was in P/0 before ZPZ too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:24 pm 

FaithfulZappa wrote:

Really? How much Thorazine did you have to take?

Post subject: re: sears imitation
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:55 pm 

trendmonger wrote:
Dweezil is as near to his father in creating FZ like guitar air sculptures as any one ever has...

[ ... & on & on & on & on & on for another 778 words/3501 characters/4250 characters+spaces ... edited no less than 8 times]

dweez is not even close to fz; you either:
1) never saw fz play live
2) were too stoned, or
3) caught fz on a rare off-night

suggestion: run [don't fucking walk] out & purchase the zappa albums called shut up 'n play yer guitar and sleep dirt, listen to them a few dozen times and then watch zoot allures from the zappa dvd called does humor belong in music 20 or so times ... zappa never hid behind a rig or propped himself up with a bunch of gear; shit man, a 99 buck amp, jacking into the soundboard, acoustic 6 or 12 string, what more do you really need if you can actually play the most excellent bitch-slapping sicko unrivaled screaming non-shred guitar solos ever witnessed

jaypfunk wrote:
Nobody and I mean nobody!! There are many other guitar players that I do like out there and there a tons of greats but... FZ blows them all the fuck away. Nuff Said!!

FZ could play everything and anything and always never gave himself enough credit and his tones were never duplicated. Frank was one sick mother fucking axe murderer!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:23 am 

Dweezil is a great guitar player, but to my ears, everything he plays has been done before by someone else (no offense DZ if you actually do read this crap). This idea kind of fit's under the "Rock as a music form is done" thread in regards to lack of originality today. DZ is awesome at emulating a variety of styles, but to compare him to his father is not fair to either of them. FZ was an original who created his own unique style.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:01 am 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
FaithfulZappa wrote:

Really? How much Thorazine did you have to take?

A generous amount.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:06 am 

Regarding guitar playing technique; I think both Frank and Dweezil would be the first to admit they stood on the shoulders of giants.
They are both amazing guitar players.

The 2 main differences in what has informed their playing technique?

-They stood on the shoulders different giants. It has to do with the era in which they were raised, what was on the radio, what records they bought, who spoke to them musically and socially. Frank largely drew from old blues, R & B, even surf. Dweezil grew up listening to bands like Van Halen.
Very different.

-Frank was a classical composer who wrote music. This factor played huge in how Frank played his solos. He said himself that his playing was more like spontaneous composition. There were lots of classic riffs that he drew from, but much of his extended playing veered off the path of traditional nodes and would even be intentionally dissonant in ways that Dweezil may not likely conceive.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:56 am 

edison wrote:
Regarding guitar playing technique;
I think both Frank and Dweezil would be the first to admit they stood on the shoulders of giants.
They are both amazing guitar players.

The 2 main differences in what has informed their playing technique?

-They stood on the shoulders different giants. It has to do with the era in which they were raised, what was on the radio, what records they bought, who spoke to them musically and socially. Frank largely drew from old blues, R & B, even surf. Dweezil grew up listening to bands like Van Halen.
Very different.

-Frank was a classical composer who wrote music. This factor played huge in how Frank played his solos. He said himself that his playing was more like spontaneous composition. There were lots of classic riffs that he drew from, but much of his extended playing veered off the path of traditional nodes and would even be intentionally dissonant in ways that Dweezil may not likely conceive.

Dweezil grew up attending his fathers concerts and while the Van Halen influence was very strong in the 80s
his career as a musician is of larger canyons than one of the guitar gods Eddie Van Halen.
To quote Eddie Van Halen at one time over a decade ago
"Dweezil Zappa is better at being Eddie Van Halen than Eddie Van Halen"

DZ can play Eruption backwards and forwards in his sleep, in no way does
the intercontinental absurdities steam liner stop there.
When DZ performs in the context of ZPZ outside of a special performance in Phoenix in 2008
Van Halen has little to no influence. Everyone has a right to be inspired by a collection of historical musical influences
but in the case of ZPZ it is obviously DZ is influenced by Frank more than anything else.
There DZ solo on Inca Roads in 2006 that was FZ meets David Gilmore Pink Floyd at Pompeii Meddle on Steroids.
Now David Gilmore has done some really fine solos in his career with Pink FLoyd but nothing as inspiring as that
Dweezil Zappa solo Inca Roads. Meddle Me This , At one time overhead the albatross
hanged motionless upon the air but Dweezil Zappa by intent or not
redefined what David Gilmore could only attempt to achieve if he ever played in the context of Inca Roads.

In this history of guitar for my taste if I want to hear a guitarist I want to hear Frank Zappa.
Well today in 2009 if I want to hear live guitar I want to hear Dweezil Zappa.
I don't care no one else stacks up for my taste in what I want to hear
Dweezil playing in Franks modal air sculpture technique because that is what I enjoy.

Anyone could come up with a Top 100 Guitarist of all time and while if given the opportunity some of them
may do a good job in FZs air sculpture techniques the fact is what they have done just don't stack up.
They would have to be in DZs shoes and plain and simple they are not.
The don't go out there doing that style.
The Top 100, 1,000 or 10,000 Guitarists of all time fro the most part just do their own thing.

Now Hendrix could rise from the dead or any Hendrix Clone
where I 've had that opportunity to see the best of em' just don't entertain me as much as Dweezil Zappa.
Don't get me wrong I have seen many entertaining guitarist that many call the guitar gods
but on the eighth day God made Frank Zappa and Frank Zappa had a son Dweezil that carries the message
that his father created.

With Dweezil Zappa I not only enjoy what he has achieved but there is so much to look forward to.
Regardless of all those influences, what we hear in FZ and DZ in all their performances throughout their entire careers
no one has gone out there and taken the chances with this type of stuff as FZ had and DZ is now showing.
Additionally as Dweezil has been doing with written composition performed on guitar as heard in G-Spot Tornado
St Alfonsos and Inca Roads that just floats my boat more than any other guitarist in the history of the instrument
Be it written or 5 to 9 minute air sculptures these solo techniques are my kind coffee.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: re: wtf is a rig
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:13 pm 

rig = shred

Post subject: Re: vocalist
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:45 am 

Jason Paige?

He certainly knows Joe's Garage.

A-rennda-rennda-rahhh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:24 pm 

I'd love a shot at an audition! :-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:37 pm 

HJ wrote:
Where's Trendmonger when you need him? He could have explained how this was just perfect timing and the natural way to further perfect perfection.

Damn beer out the nose when I read that one!
Damn good one! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:51 pm 

Post subject: Re: re: sears imitation
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:45 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
trendmonger wrote:
Dweezil is as near to his father in creating FZ like guitar air sculptures as any one ever has...

[ ... & on & on & on & on & on for another 778 words/3501 characters/4250 characters+spaces ... edited no less than 8 times]

dweez is not even close to fz; you either:
1) never saw fz play live
2) were too stoned, or
3) caught fz on a rare off-night

suggestion: run [don't fucking walk] out & purchase the zappa albums called shut up 'n play yer guitar and sleep dirt, listen to them a few dozen times and then watch zoot allures from the zappa dvd called does humor belong in music 20 or so times ... zappa never hid behind a rig or propped himself up with a bunch of gear; shit man, a 99 buck amp, jacking into the soundboard, acoustic 6 or 12 string, what more do you really need if you can actually play the most excellent bitch-slapping sicko unrivaled screaming non-shred guitar solos ever witnessed

jaypfunk wrote:
Nobody and I mean nobody!! There are many other guitar players that I do like out there and there a tons of greats but... FZ blows them all the fuck away. Nuff Said!!

FZ could play everything and anything and always never gave himself enough credit and his tones were never duplicated. Frank was one sick mother fucking axe murderer!!

Slime.o's and jp's post about FZ's guitar playing are about the best I've ever seen on Zappa.com.Very nice guys! I think this post needs to see the light of day again now that trendmongers just spying and not posting here anymore.
Am I rite? It's 8) ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:14 am 

Zappa was not technically inept, but the overwhelming greatness of his playing comes from the ability to follow his artistic intuition in the moment and create unprecedented beauty beyond his proven technical skill. A great difference from Dweezil's music, which is respectable but from a more human sphere of rehearsing and perfecting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next