Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: BANNED FOR LIFE
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:29 pm 

I was looking through old threads and couldn't help but notice all of the people who have been banned over the years. How exactly does one become banned on a ZAPPA forum of all places? Some of you forumers who have been around a while should be able to answer this question. What do you think? And what could some of these people have possibly done to be BANNED FOR LIFE?

Last edited by Joel Osteen on Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: BANNED FOR LIFE
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:24 pm 

What would you do if somebody came into your place and then spat on the floor or insulted you and your family ?
I think we are allowed to express any opinion here by the time we do it with a minimum of respect towards the forum owners and its users community.
Most of the people who have been banned were either deliberately trying to harm other users or to foment crusades against the ZFT in spite of warnings from the admin.
Is it so hard to understand that a few misconducts cannot be tolerated?
This is not exactly what I would call censorship.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:51 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU7XsoQXSW8

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:20 am 

Joel Osteen wrote:

Joel go to the Obama and the Media thread and head back about half way and watch how dd devolved the conversation to a grade school narrative that South Park would be embarrassed to run with. It eventually hit such a racist bigoted level of attaches on forum members that the admin had no choice. Not to worry, he is still here in at least 2 to 4 different screen names being careful for a while, but in the last couple of days he began his meltdown. At the rate he is going it should be painfully obvious to you what has been going on with this poster in the past.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:48 pm 

[quote="Plook"]Joel go to the Obama and the Media thread and head back about half way and watch how dd devolved the conversation to a grade school narrative that South Park would be embarrassed to run with. It eventually hit such a racist bigoted level of attaches on forum members that the admin had no choice. Not to worry, he is still here in at least 2 to 4 different screen names being careful for a while, but in the last couple of days he began his meltdown. At the rate he is going it should be painfully obvious to you what has been going on with this poster in the past.

Wow. I see what you mean. First of all, what a jerk. I say that simply because of the crass racist and homophobic remarks . That, I guess, is what happens when fundamentalist conservatism runs rampant in American society. You wind up with people like Diesel Douche. He is so obviously uneducated that even Republicans wouldn't want him around. Now that is an insult. I hope there is such a thing as reincarnation so he can return as a gay hermaphrodite of latino persuasion, and be born and raised in Mississippi. I can see why garbage like that would be BANNED FOR LIFE. Good riddance.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:18 pm 

Plook wrote:
Joel Osteen wrote:

Joel go to the Obama and the Media thread and head back about half way and watch how dd devolved the conversation to a grade school narrative that South Park would be embarrassed to run with. It eventually hit such a racist bigoted level of attaches on forum members that the admin had no choice. Not to worry, he is still here in at least 2 to 4 different screen names being careful for a while, but in the last couple of days he began his meltdown. At the rate he is going it should be painfully obvious to you what has been going on with this poster in the past.

How can he possibly be logged in having been banned?
Don't the administrators check IP adresses?

And Joel, if you're trying to find ways to get banned, why don"t you just give it your best shot and see how it goes from there? :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:24 pm 

[quote="JIMMYJOHN"]And Joel, if you're trying to find ways to get banned, why don"t you just give it your best shot and see how it goes from there?

Naw, I'm good. Spanks alot though.

Post subject: re: banned for life
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:39 am 

someone was banned for telling the admin to fuck himself . . . . . . . 8)

Post subject: Re: re: banned for life
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:06 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
someone was banned for telling the admin to fuck himself . . . . . . . 8)

Don't remember that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:16 pm 

I haven't been here long enough to answer anything in regards to others, however as this thread is here it seems the appropriate place to discuss such issues.

I realize that some of my posts are edgy, and I myself am generally a bit nervous about some of the posts I make, and always second guess myself about whether or not I'm doing more harm than good. I try not to do anything that would get the forum owners or moderators, myself or anyone else into any trouble, however I can't be sure of every possible legal jurisdiction that the forum might be viewed in. Not that they need it, but I would tell them to please remove anything I post that they feel could jeopardize the forum, business, future performances, etc. I would not bare any grudge against them for that. They must first and foremost do their best to protect this rare, and I would say precious free speech zone. This is one aspect of Frank's legacy.

In regards to checking IP addresses, technically this is a much more difficult thing than many people might realize. There are several ways in which one might be able to spoof their IP address. Two that have at times been rather popular are TOR and PUTTY. These programs will allow a person to route their outgoing and incoming data streams through an encrypted tunnel. It is an invaluable aid for people who are trying to access information that is being restricted to them by their government. Some examples of legitimate uses would be any person living in china trying to learn about the protest in Tiananmen Square, google would be of no help as google essentially has sold out human rights to any and every government. The recent news coverage of the Iranian elections and the subsequent protests may also have been aided by programs of this nature, as they would prevent the Iranian government from immediately knowing that banned sites such as youtube were being accessed by their citizens. Obviously this has been and still is occasionally used for other purposes. This has led to several hackers developing methods of breaking the effectiveness of the programs, and as such they are not one hundred percent reliable. But they are probably the best available method to work around censorship. The forum moderators could conceivably systematically ban the entire range of addresses that would be used by TOR, but doing so would also block people from lets say the middle east or somewhere that might actually have a ban on Frank's music or any number of topics that the majority of us take for granted as freely discussable. Keep in mind that any form of political dissent is still a punishable crime in many places in the world, so someone from say Iran could conceivably be prosecuted for accessing this forum if they read the posts that refer to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in a derogatory way.
I hope that gives you some idea of why banned people can generally speaking still get access to sites they have been banned from. And why despite the other uses of such programs they are a very necessary and valuable tool that should be continually improved, and made available to everyone, we take the bad with the good or we lose everything.

"Whose foot is to be the measure to which ours are all to be cut or stretched? Is a priest to be our inquisitor, or shall a layman, simple as ourselves, set up his reason as the rule for what we are to read and what we must believe?" T.J.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:39 pm 

one of the uglies wrote:
I haven't been here long enough to answer anything in regards to others, however as this thread is here it seems the appropriate place to discuss such issues.

I realize that some of my posts are edgy, and I myself am generally a bit nervous about some of the posts I make, and always second guess myself about whether or not I'm doing more harm than good. I try not to do anything that would get the forum owners or moderators, myself or anyone else into any trouble, however I can't be sure of every possible legal jurisdiction that the forum might be viewed in. Not that they need it, but I would tell them to please remove anything I post that they feel could jeopardize the forum, business, future performances, etc. I would not bare any grudge against them for that. They must first and foremost do their best to protect this rare, and I would say precious free speech zone. This is one aspect of Frank's legacy.

In regards to checking IP addresses, technically this is a much more difficult thing than many people might realize. There are several ways in which one might be able to spoof their IP address. Two that have at times been rather popular are TOR and PUTTY. These programs will allow a person to route their outgoing and incoming data streams through an encrypted tunnel. It is an invaluable aid for people who are trying to access information that is being restricted to them by their government. Some examples of legitimate uses would be any person living in china trying to learn about the protest in Tiananmen Square, google would be of no help as google essentially has sold out human rights to any and every government. The recent news coverage of the Iranian elections and the subsequent protests may also have been aided by programs of this nature, as they would prevent the Iranian government from immediately knowing that banned sites such as youtube were being accessed by their citizens. Obviously this has been and still is occasionally used for other purposes. This has led to several hackers developing methods of breaking the effectiveness of the programs, and as such they are not one hundred percent reliable. But they are probably the best available method to work around censorship. The forum moderators could conceivably systematically ban the entire range of addresses that would be used by TOR, but doing so would also block people from lets say the middle east or somewhere that might actually have a ban on Frank's music or any number of topics that the majority of us take for granted as freely discussable. Keep in mind that any form of political dissent is still a punishable crime in many places in the world, so someone from say Iran could conceivably be prosecuted for accessing this forum if they read the posts that refer to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in a derogatory way.
I hope that gives you some idea of why banned people can generally speaking still get access to sites they have been banned from. And why despite the other uses of such programs they are a very necessary and valuable tool that should be continually improved, and made available to everyone, we take the bad with the good or we lose everything.

So when you listen to a record and it hits a scratch and just keeps skipping over and over you leave it on since one must take the bad with the good...how Nobel of you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:25 pm 

Plook wrote:
one of the uglies wrote:

So when you listen to a record and it hits a scratch and just keeps skipping over and over you leave it on since one must take the bad with the good...how Nobel of you.

No, but I also don't entirely give up on everything else by the performer, nor do I simply throw it away without first attempting to clean the grooves.
I'm not sure I take your meaning though, are you saying that you would rather give up on freedom of speech for the sake of getting rid of the bad things? If that is the case then at what point and whom do you trust to draw the line? How much of your own rights and self determination are you willing to give control of to a government body of censors? Knowing that those who you trust to be in charge of making that decision may not always be in charge, what will you do when someone else becomes in charge and decides that what you hold as worthy of protection becomes intolerable officially?
Will you give up the rights of people who do not have the option of believing in any god other than the one that the state endorses for the sake of getting rid of something you find objectionable, as would be the case in Tiananmen Square. Would you give up the right of all oppressed people to have a venue of some form to attempt to tell their stories, or to express their joy, or attempt to experience something they are forcefully denied? I don't think I can agree with that, so I rightly or wrongly choose to defend things that even I find distasteful, offensive, obscene, etc. because it is my belief that it is the only way to effectively prevent the gradual erosion of the freedom to think, and decide for yourself what you find beauty in, whether that be some religion, some story, some poem, some artwork, song, or whatever else you can think of.

I had to step away from the computer before this actually occurred to me, but you might also just be referring to DD and his repetitious "did someone say ass" I must admit that seemed a touch silly to me. Not ban worthy, but certainly somewhat tiresome. :lol:

"Whose foot is to be the measure to which ours are all to be cut or stretched? Is a priest to be our inquisitor, or shall a layman, simple as ourselves, set up his reason as the rule for what we are to read and what we must believe?" T.J.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:29 am 

one of the uglies wrote:
...but I would tell them to please remove anything I post that they feel could jeopardize the forum, business, future performances, etc. I would not bare any grudge against them for that. They must first and foremost do their best to protect this rare, and I would say precious free speech zone.

Interesting concept...please remove anything I want to say, if it will harm my opportunity for saying anything I want to say.
Anyway...this, like most forums, is not an "anything goes" bulletin board. It is run by people who pay money for it, and as such, have the right to run it as they wish. It is alot more open than most, but still has a few guidelines. As always...if you don't agree with the "rules", then suggest changes. And if they won't change (and it really bugs you), then start your own forum, and invite everyone over.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:04 am 

It seems the line between being tolerated and being banned is located right around the area where good-natured, on-topic taunting transforms into out-and-out insult-hurling that has nothing to do w/ the thread it's located it, hence our ability to report a post as "off topic." :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:54 am 

zomby truth wrote:
It seems the line between being tolerated and being banned is located right around the area where good-natured, on-topic taunting transforms into out-and-out insult-hurling that has nothing to do w/ the thread it's located it, hence our ability to report a post as "off topic." :D

People have been banned for something other than that. So that's not entirely true.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:58 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
zomby truth wrote:

People have been banned for something other than that. So that's not entirely true.

But it seems to me to be the most common reason, at least recently.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:00 pm 

Or you pissed off Gail!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:02 pm 

Can anyone give a list of the banned and a short summary of their crimes?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:28 am 

Plook wrote:
Can anyone give a list of the banned and a short summary of their crimes?

Were their crimes carved on their backs?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:05 am 

zombie1210
Isaac
jimmie d killed the forum
J.C.GreasyVII

Search the author name and banned will give the answer.

I have seen the drawing above used a avater and Banned by it 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:32 am 

Apparently being banned does not mean much with "dd's shadow are you kidding's nuts batch I am" around!

Talk about multiple personalities (6 minimum)!

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:14 pm 

The Shadow Knows wrote:
Plook wrote:
Apparently being banned does not mean much with "dd's shadow are you kidding's nuts batch I am" around!

Talk about multiple personalities (6 minimum)!

:mrgreen:

A little overboard are we not?
There is only one Shadow and that's me!

Stop that talk...and back up the boat, cause your tuna has a distinctive odor.
8)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:59 pm 

Eddie Kidding Me? wrote:
Quote:
KillUgly wrote:
The Shadow Knows wrote:
For Caputh.......... and the rest of you can begin the name calling :shock:

DD/Shadow-You should give me credit for the Ike photo and no you can't buy the Rams.

DD/TSK tells me to say thanks Kill Ugly for the photo you emailed to him. No matter what the Commandant KK may think.... At least we agree on Zappa! I think DD/TSK is gone because of the IKE pic :oops: ps gail is mikey and mikey is gail......... more to follow :wink:

Here comes that fishy smell again... :shock:

Post subject: re: banned
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:01 pm 

cleon wrote:
zombie1210
Isaac
J.C.GreasyVII ...
pre-crash forum, chas w. baer was the only one banned [at least 3 times as the chuckster, tvog & tad] by keith

colauita68: 'The last tour was a HUGE rip off and disappointment, and this one sounds like it will be even MORE LAME'

petitwazoo72: 'What is the big problem with that colauita 68 guy? '

help, i'm a rock: son of zombie1210

sinister midget: son of hiar

forthncons: son of sinister midget

diesel dummy: dummy all over

saggynuts: son of dummy all over

hanky panky man: son of saggynuts

phrizzle: aka chas w. baer, future president of the globe

(son of) frownland: hey gay cunt, arent you the same fat jewish kid that was all up in arms cause he got banned from barrys forum? fuck you, you fat little hypocritical cunt ...

Post subject: Re: re: banned
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:25 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
cleon wrote:
zombie1210
Isaac
J.C.GreasyVII ...
pre-crash forum, chas w. baer was the only one banned [at least 3 times as the chuckster, tvog & tad] by keith

colauita68: 'The last tour was a HUGE rip off and disappointment, and this one sounds like it will be even MORE LAME'

petitwazoo72: 'What is the big problem with that colauita 68 guy? '

help, i'm a rock: son of zombie1210

sinister midget: son of hiar

forthncons: son of sinister midget

diesel dummy: dummy all over

saggynuts: son of dummy all over

hanky panky man: son of saggynuts

phrizzle: aka chas w. baer, future president of the globe

(son of) frownland: hey gay cunt, arent you the same fat jewish kid that was all up in arms cause he got banned from barrys forum? fuck you, you fat little hypocritical cunt ...

Hello Mr Slime, remember me? I sat next to you and your wife at the Warfield show back in 06.
I have some interesting news for you and the rest of the gang, stay tuned.....it will blow your mind......Droppin Loads :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next