Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:09 pm 

I have just today seen Jim Lea and Dave Hill from Wolverhampton's Slade on the local TV today. (BBC Midlands Today anybody in the UK catch it on the BBC iplayer).

Jim Lea and Noddy Holder wrote the songs, and Dave Hill sold them, wearing his Glam Rock costumes on Top of the Pops. Slade are releasing some stuff from the BBC. This has reminded me:

I have a quote from the NME year book 1974 - indicating that it would have been previously published during 1973 ( This has Mick Jagger on the cover,which I will post up) saying that Frank loved Jim Lea's bass playing.

Is there any body out there who can verify whether and to whom and when FZ said such? Frank liked english bass players - he used Mick Rogers from MMEB, and Martin Lickert (r.i.p) of course. I cannot really think that FZ would have known about Jim Lea unless he was in the UK whilst Slade was outselling everything in sight.

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:05 pm 

There is a tenuous link between Slade and FZ
I seem to remember that Slade, in their very early days, maybe when they were called Ambrose Slade released an album featuring "Trouble Comin' Everyday"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:59 pm 

You're right, I recall they as Ambrose Slade covered a Mothers track - so I checked. It's 'ain't got no heart'

That Fontana LP with them naked at Pouk Hill freezing their nuts off (beauty spot in Willenhall nr Wolverhampton) is a collectable beast.

There is another track called Roach Daddy, which sounds like an FZ tune, but it ain't.

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!