It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:52 pm 

Hooray!
http://www.frankzappa200motelsdvd.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:05 pm 

Interesting read.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:29 pm 

Hi, is this film different to earlier versions? Is it connected in any way to the Zappa family trust?
I have 200M on DVD produced and copyright by the WOW Corporation, WOW-037. I don't have any information about this release, I got it from the bay and was just glad to have this masterpiece, even it was official, bootleg or anything else. It has the original cover image without any reference to Tony Palmer. I'll try to make my scanner work and provide an image here of the digipack and the disc (tomorrow).
calvin2hikers wrote:
Interesting read.

the statement of Tony Palmer (from the link above) is also interesting:

I’ve read so much rubbish about 200 Motels over the years, much of it fiction, much of it originating with Frank Zappa himself, that the release of the newly restored film on DVD gives me an opportunity - my first - to correct one or two of the wilder stories about how the film came about and what really happened during the filming.

Contrary to what Frank Zappa and his biographers have asserted, when I first became involved there was no script, just a trunk-load of papers containing scenes ‘from the life of’. My ‘job’, Frank said, was to make some sense of this jumble and try to construct a coherent script from which a film, any film, would emerge. True, Frank had written a pile of music, some good, some not so good, but no orchestra had been booked, no soloists, no choir, no choreographer. My second ‘job’ therefore was to organise all this at very short notice. Normally, you need to book a London orchestra – especially if you required them for a week - at least a year in advance. I had three weeks in which to find a top class, professional orchestra.

Next, although the film was entirely Frank’s idea, MGM/UA were unwilling to trust him with a feature film, even if it was estimated to cost only around half a million dollars. (It fi nally cost $679,000). In fact, they had turned him down as the director of the film, and insisted on a safe pair of hands to make sure something emerged for their money. It so happened that I had been offered a picture deal by MGM a little earlier (which I had also turned down), and it was Herb Cohen, Frank Zappa’s longsuffering manager, who, knowing this and knowing that Frank had worked with me before, put the jigsaw together.

Next, it was clear that many of the scenes could not be shot the way Frank envisaged them on conventional celluloid, or rather they could be shot, but would take an age and a lot of money (neither of which we had) because of the special effects involved. It was me who suggested using videotape, not Frank Zappa, because I was already experimenting with video effects using the earliest colour video cameras that had arrived at the BBC only three years before. Initially, MGM/UA vetoed this idea because, as they quite reasonably pointed out, videotape (“what is that?” one executive asked me) could not be projected in their cinemas.

It was a colleague in Technicolor London who came up with the solution, namely that since the old pre-war Technicolor process involved shooting with three different negatives (red, green & blue) run in parallel, and since the television image in those days also comprised three different elements - red, green & blue, it might be possible to transfer each element separately to the different negatives and, when printed together, a true film ‘transfer’ might result. Which is precisely what happened, and the fi rst ever ‘film transfer’ from videotape resulted. MGM/UA was satisfied, because they now had ‘a film’, not a videotape. Frank Zappa was satisfied because he could now have all the effects he desired, quickly and relatively inexpensively. But he had nothing to do with discovering the process; in fact, I’m not too sure he understood it. Nonetheless I’ve often read that he ‘pioneered’ the whole thing, a porky that is repeated in the totally misleading film about the ‘making of’ made by the Dutch television station, VPRO.

In this same film, Zappa asserts that only a third of his script was filmed. Nonsense. The director (me) “quit mid-production”, which is news to me, as well as several actors and a band member. More fiction. Wilfred Brambell, a famous British character actor (famous especially as ‘Steptoe’) refused the part he was offered, and Jeff Simmons was replaced by Martin Lickert in the role of Jeff because he had the temerity to call Frank Zappa an ego-maniac. All true, but Zappa’s later claim that these events “accounted for several radical, last-minute changes” is yet more nonsense. Apparently – according to the Dutch documentary – when I had quit, I had threatened to wipe the tapes – which is odd, considering I edited all the videotapes myself after completion of filming before handing them over to MGM/UA. I’ve also read that the out-takes and the videotapes on which they were stored were wiped and sold back to MGM/UA to reduce the overspend. No company such as MGM/UA would ever accept second-hand tapes, even if wiped, not least because the tapes would be more-or-less worthless. Another Zappa wopper.

It begins to sound as if I am attempting to pour scorn on Frank Zappa’s achievement. Quite the contrary. It’s impossible not to have a sneaking admiration for a film which self evidently would never have been made had it not been for him and his curious talent. And, crazy though the film seems to be, it does have a certain insight into how ‘life on the road’ was for many of these rock bands at that time. The fact is also that, here we are, nearly 40 years later, and there is still a huge market/interest for the film. Oh, and by the way, according to several websites devoted to the film, because I had ‘been fired’ and/or ‘quit’ (delete whichever you think is applicable) I went off and destroyed the master tapes – which is very odd considering that these very same master tapes are sitting in front of me as I write.

And finally, that as a result of any of the above (you choose which), Frank & I ‘never spoke again’. Which is even odder, because a couple of years later when Zappa sued the Royal Albert Hall in London for cancelling a concert in which he had intended to perform the music from 200 Motels, I appeared at the trial in The Royal Courts of Justice in the Strand as Frank Zappa’s ‘expert witness’. Would Zappa have wanted that had we not stayed friends?

So, forty years on, I’m proud to be associated with the film, proud to have known Frank Zappa, and proud to have stayed his friend, in spite of all the rubbish that (mostly) others have written about what ‘really’ happened.

TONY PALMER

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:42 pm 

That's what I was referring to when I said interesting read.

I've heard the ZFT owns the rights and I've heard they don't. I don't know.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:20 pm 

ursinator wrote:
Hi, is this film different to earlier versions? Is it connected in any way to the Zappa family trust?
I have 200M on DVD produced and copyright by the WOW Corporation, WOW-037. I don't have any information about this release, I got it from the bay and was just glad to have this masterpiece, even it was official, bootleg or anything else. It has the original cover image without any reference to Tony Palmer. I'll try to make my scanner work and provide an image here of the digipack and the disc (tomorrow).

I think you got yourself a fraudulent edition there, boy... this is the first time it's been officially available on DVD. I'm personally looking forward to seeing some goofy girls getting their 70s tits out. (.)(.) (in digitial)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:54 am 

PAL format only?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:09 am 

So is this actually a legit release? The packaging looks a little amateurish to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:42 am 

wish we knew if it had extra's...

also, if it was paired with the making of 200 motels.

A '55 Chevy that his brother just stoled

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:37 pm 

Are you going to get a copy of this, Doug?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:20 pm 

madcow1515 wrote:
So is this actually a legit release? The packaging looks a little amateurish to me.

How can you tell? It doesn't look any worse than the 1990s VHS.

manichispanic wrote:
wish we knew if it had extra's...

also, if it was paired with the making of 200 motels.

I think there's a director's commentary (source: http://www.idiotbastard.com/news.htm).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:40 pm 

sabrinaIII wrote:

I would think that you would.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:30 pm 

sabrinaIII wrote:

Already on pre-order...ships around Jan. 18th. :P

calvin2hikers wrote:

I wouldn't, 'cause I already done did!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:36 pm 

do you guys trust this website: http://www.voiceprint.co.uk/web/Release/TPDVD127/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:01 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
sabrinaIII wrote:

Already on pre-order...ships around Jan. 18th. :P

calvin2hikers wrote:

I wouldn't, 'cause I already done did!

I knew you wouldn't let me, uh, her, down.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:53 pm 

I've never heard of these guys and I'm not sure I trust them enough to make a pre-order. I'm also unsure about it's legality. None the less I can't help drooling over it and I may buy it after the release date. I emailed them and got a response back saying it will be around the 16th of January, so not long to wait.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:44 am 

200 Motels was originaly:
VISUALS DIRECTED BY TONY PALMER
PRODUCED BY JERRY GOOD AND HERB COHEN

I wonder if Tony Palmer have the right to produce it.

I am waiting for more information.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:26 am 

Zut_boF wrote:

It would be silly of me to say "no", wouldn't it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:43 am 

To me, the interesting thing is that Tony's name appears above Zappa's; it's now called 'Tony Palmer's Film of Frank Zappa's 200 Motels'. Has Tony taken ownership of the film? Maybe the rights came up for grabs and Tony got in there first. The ZFT probably didn't want another DVD to work on what with Roxy taking 35+ years.... I think it's probably gone to the best home in order that we see it this century. Maybe GZ has some insight or sarcasm or something to make us more confused?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:45 am 

It would be nice for them to put up an HD quality Youtube video to see what the quality is like.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:01 am 

Hi folks, as promised, here is the scan of my DVD. I found it about 1 or 2 years ago on the german branch of ebay. I never had a VHS of the film in my hands, but I guess, this should be the same film on disc without any changes, additons or even DVD-specials. The qaulity of sound and image are pretty good, so it doesn t seem to be a bootleg of any kind. I guess, the ownership of the copyright to this film seems to be completeley different to the usual Zappa stuff, that is under control of his family. So it seems to be easier to publish this movie by other people also in a regular way (like Tony Palmer maybe does now) without hurting any rights of the Zappa family. The vinyls of 200 Motels were also released for years by other companies than the other Zappareleases in those times. (Hope the imageupload works). CU 8)

Last edited by ursinator on Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:22 am 

Hey Ursinator, you need to go back an edit your post and delete the 1.1.1.1/bmi/ part from your image link. When I did that it loaded fine for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:43 am 

OK, I put it on flickr now:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4061/4263203744_d820f50a3f_o.jpg
hope, u can see it now 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:45 am 

See here: http://www.united-mutations.com/z/frank ... otlegs.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:28 pm 

Well, the disc cover DOES say ALL REGIONS!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:50 pm 

evildick wrote:
madcow1515 wrote:

How can you tell? It doesn't look any worse than the 1990s VHS.

The VHS was at least distributed by a semi-reputable company. I guess I've just seen so many DVD boots of 200 Motels over the years that I'm suspicious of any release that isn't from a well-known company.