Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:48 am 

I just grabbed the El Paso TX. show. The sound quality is most definitely a thing of amazement (My Ears!), but the music and monologues I've not heard elsewhere.

I would like if some more stuff from this lineup could be officially released. It would be nice if "Velvet Sunrise" "So Fine" and "Lonely Nights" got a really good mix and studio treatment. It doesn't even need to be a complete show. I'll hope for a nice two disc set in the near future.
Anybody else want some more from this group?

"Whose foot is to be the measure to which ours are all to be cut or stretched? Is a priest to be our inquisitor, or shall a layman, simple as ourselves, set up his reason as the rule for what we are to read and what we must believe?" T.J.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:22 am 

8) 8) Yes. Definitely. In fact, I need it very, very bad. Dig Beefie's soprano wailings not heard very much on Bongo Fury --

(Oh, BTW -- f#c%, sorry for the Trendmonger font- )

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:24 am 

Bongo Fury has always been a favorite, as if I could pick favorites...

I needed to think about how to respond to the thing about Trendmonger, at first I laughed, then I thought about it, I don't have any anti-ZFT agenda, so perhaps I'll escape his wrath.

I'm most certainly of two minds on the issue, I want to hear it, but I'm also concerned that the surprise will be ruined if I get something that Gail plans to release. Philly '76 is a perfect example, I really enjoy that album, and part of that is that I had no idea anything like that existed, I didn't even really know until the topic started being discussed here that Bianca existed. So for me, that was really fresh and amazing. At the same time though if something isn't planned for release, or maybe it doesn't even exist in the vault, I would still like to hear it, see it, whatever.
That's sort of how I feel about some of the stuff on youtube, I like some of the concert footage from around the world, but if Gail can and does release an official copy I'll want that way more. :wink:

"Whose foot is to be the measure to which ours are all to be cut or stretched? Is a priest to be our inquisitor, or shall a layman, simple as ourselves, set up his reason as the rule for what we are to read and what we must believe?" T.J.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:29 pm 

one of the uglies wrote:
I just grabbed the El Paso TX. show. The sound quality is most definitely a thing of amazement (My Ears!), but the music and monologues I've not heard elsewhere.

I would like if some more stuff from this lineup could be officially released. It would be nice if "Velvet Sunrise" "So Fine" and "Lonely Nights" got a really good mix and studio treatment. It doesn't even need to be a complete show. I'll hope for a nice two disc set in the near future.

I love JCB singing Lonely Nights on that El Paso set!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:48 pm 

tweezers wrote:
one of the uglies wrote:

I love JCB singing Lonely Nights on that El Paso set!!!

Me too. Good show, very entertaining.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:47 am 

And the sound quality of mine is mediocre, at best, but an official release could correct that.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:05 am 

My copy has breathtaking quality. Sounds almost official.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:50 am 

I started listening to this several years ago on a camping trip. A huge group of people would head up to northern Wisconsin every year for whitewater rafting. Lots of late night partying with fireworks and craziness. I put this show on while everyone was cleaning up the next morning while getting ready to go back home. Bleary-eyed people mulling around, getting their stuff together. A group of us were taking a break listening while we saw a friend walking across the campsite who had burned the hell out of his arm the night before.
Just then, FZ kicked into his "Am I having a good time? Now ask yourself this question: How long will it last? You see, the problem is that in the United States you can have a good time for a little while, but you can't have a good time all the time. Now one of the reasons for this is maybe some people don't really know how to have a good time and they keep trying to have a good time doing the wrong things..." We all just stared at each other at the obvious connection to the previous nights events... :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:08 pm 

Is there anyword on a Bongo fury tour release?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:33 pm 

Not that I have heard. I've been wanting this for a long time though.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:01 pm 

Bongo Fury is my favourite Zappa release!
First Zappa I EVER HEARD. (I was 15 at the time)

Anything more from this tour would be awesome!
Bongo Fury has an overall mood and atmosphere that no other Zappa album has. IMHO
It creeps me out.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:33 am 

The JCB material from that tour is great and it would be a good tribute to him to release it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:49 am 

I don't suppose the ZFT are eager to put out a tribute to JCB. You can get his songs for free anyway.

A release from this tour would be great though. Keneally worked on one in the 90's but nothing has come of it.